Dead Space remake (2023)

The remake will release January 27, 2023.

https://nitter.actionsack.com/deadspace/status/1524814759157084162
1652380498627.png

If it's EA that means you only have to spend $15 for a month of play pro to play it.

I'm not sure if I'll play this. The first game was very flawed. And I'm not sure if I'll be into playing a remake.

Problem with the series is it got progressively better and progressively less scary. DS3 functioned well but was boring.

I am interested in seeing how they make Frosbite to work. Typically all games aside from Battlefield have issues with it. The last Mass Effect was okay after they patched it up.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
The Callisto Protocol isn't coming out until December. Dead Space isn't due until the end of January. The thought of needing to get a refund for either of those titles in September seems a little absurd. Especially as digital titles.

Dead Space Remake Won’t Have Loading Screens or Cuts

"We're also actually creating the entire game as one sequential shot" says Senior Producer Philippe Ducharme. "From the moment you start the game to the moment you end the game, there are no camera cuts or load screens- unless you die. The Ishimura is now fully interconnected, so you can walk from Point A to Point Z, visit the entire ship, and revisit locations you've already completed to pick up things you might have missed- that's all new. It's now a completely unbroken experience"

new screenshots look nice...the lighting in particular looks much improved...the Dead Space remake launches on PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on January 27th, 2023...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Dead Space Remake Won’t Have Loading Screens or Cuts

"We're also actually creating the entire game as one sequential shot" says Senior Producer Philippe Ducharme. "From the moment you start the game to the moment you end the game, there are no camera cuts or load screens- unless you die. The Ishimura is now fully interconnected, so you can walk from Point A to Point Z, visit the entire ship, and revisit locations you've already completed to pick up things you might have missed- that's all new. It's now a completely unbroken experience"

new screenshots look nice...the lighting in particular looks much improved...the Dead Space remake launches on PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on January 27th, 2023...
1664456796732.png

I liked the setting of the first game but the controls and mouse settings were absolute trash, so I hope this game is a whole lot better out of the box. I may play this one as it seems like a big enough remake. Wonder if the story is changing seeing that they voiced Issac this time around. But between RE4 Remake and Callisto Protocol I probably won't get around to it for a long time anyways.

And looks like this is using Frostbite. Interesting as Jedi Survivor is using UE5.

Last edited:
I have fired up the original game numerous times and will play for an hour or two and have zero issues with the controls. If you want the mouse aiming to feel more like a traditional shooter then there's a simple fix for that that's been out for probably well over a decade.

I have fired up the original game numerous times and will play for an hour or two and have zero issues with the controls. If you want the mouse aiming to feel more like a traditional shooter then there's a simple fix for that that's been out for probably well over a decade.

Honestly I never had a problem with the OG controls. It took a few minutes to get used to them but after that it was no problem at all for me. You definitely gotta make sure V-Sync is off tho. That really added a ton of lag to it.

As for the remake, the more I read about it the more I can't wait for it. It looks like they're doing it all right and not changing all the things that made it one of the greatest games ever IMO. I may even pre-order this one.

Yeah the in game vsync basically halves your refresh rate and they didn't even fix that in the second game either. The second game did make the aiming feel like a traditional shooter which made most people happy but to me it honestly felt too snappy and I thought the original controls felt more realistic and a little sluggish.

The setting/atmosphere in DS1 were superb, IMO. Being on that giant hulk of a ship alone with all of those monstrosities and all of the huge rooms and machinery was awesome. I can't wait to go back! jobert's post is making me wanna fire it up tonight and start a replay...looks like we're due to get three straight days of rain from Ian this weekend, so it would be a good time...plus I just finished the Early Access playthrough of Gloomwood last night.

There were, I think, two single sections that sucked with the original controls. One with a tentacle. One with… something like a rail shooter. That wa ms it.

I'm replaying all 3 on the Steam Deck, they still hold up but the remake looks awesome.
I'll get it one day, when it's cheap enough.
Callisto Protocol is higher on my play list.

And even the original game does not look all that bad when you consider its 13 years old. If there was a high resolution texture pack then that alone would make it a substantially better looking game. I played the first game on an 8600 GT so just think how far we've come since then.

For the original game I use the Nvidia control panel to help make things look a little bit better. I turn on AF, FXAA, ambient occlusion and vsync. Also one good thing about the Dead Space games is they work perfectly in 21:9 ratio and high refresh rates up to 200. I believe it's around 200 FPS that the physics can get a little wonky but anything below that should be fine from what I remember.

And even the original game does not look all that bad when you consider its 13 years old. If there was a high resolution texture pack then that alone would make it a substantially better looking game. I played the first game on an 8600 GT so just think how far we've come since then.

For the original game I use the Nvidia control panel to help make things look a little bit better. I turn on AF, FXAA, ambient occlusion and vsync. Also one good thing about the Dead Space games is they work perfectly in 21:9 ratio and high refresh rates up to 200. I believe it's around 200 FPS that the physics can get a little wonky but anything below that should be fine from what I remember.
Ooh. I definitely need to experience it again at 4K/120 OLED VRR! I just assumed that it wouldn’t have native support for modern res/FPS and that a trip over to pcgamingwiki would be in order.

I thought the consensus was not to use V-Sync here, though? Or is it just the game’s V-Sync that’s bugged?

Ooh. I definitely need to experience it again at 4K/120 OLED VRR! I just assumed that it wouldn’t have native support for modern res/FPS and that a trip over to pcgamingwiki would be in order.

I thought the consensus was not to use V-Sync here, though? Or is it just the game’s V-Sync that’s bugged?
Dead Space supports all modern resolutions and I've even ran it just fine at 8K. The vsync issue has always been the in game vsync so even when the game was released you needed to use the Nvidia control panel to force vsync. With AMD though forcing vsync in their control panel does nothing at all for DX9 games and simply does not work.

I feel this remake could really benefit from extensive ray tracing support, not sure how good the frostbite is at supporting in.

Started my newest playthrough of DS1 tonight. Game holds up great and it looks the best it’s ever looked on the 48CX. Pegged at 4K 117fps per my cap. Controls are fine. Those screenshots from the remake have me pretty excited…RT could be very impressive if well implemented.

Glad this series is getting some more love!

My problem with Callisto Protocol is the game just shadows Dead Space so what am I suppose to think of a game that wants to be like Dead Space?
Airtight City looks better actually.

Whoa- I'm very interested in the DS remake, but Airtight City 2.0 looks interesting!

My problem with Callisto Protocol is the game just shadows Dead Space
Why don't you wait for it to come out and read some professional and user reviews before being sure that it "just shadows Dead Space"? I'm willing to bet it'll manage to set itself apart and not just be a clone. Heck, even if it was, more DS is never a bad thing.

I agree that Airtight City looks very interesting but 1.0 is only about 1/2 hour long according to the reviews and he's selling it to fund the development of 2.0 of which the Early Access version isn't even out yet. And the dev admits his budget is exhausted and that is is relying on the sale of 1.0 to continue development. How many people are buying a half-an-hour horror action shooter that I hadn't even heard of until Comixbooks posted, lol? So talking about the real world and what we can play soon, I'm definitely in for the DS Remake and Callisto if early reviews don't bomb.

Gotta admit, the dev's spiel on the page for 1.0 does make me want to buy it, though. I'll probably toss him $2, play through what most people seem to think is worth the experience, and hope 2.0 comes out eventually.

Edit: and purchased.

Last edited:
Exactly- he's honest and I don't care about $2. Here you go brother, hope you can finish something that seems cool. (But hurry up dead space! Scorn will only last for so long!)

Looks pretty good but I think 50 bucks at the most would have been fair but it is 60 on PC and 70 on console. I don't care what excuses people make, remaking a game even from the ground up is no where near the cost and time of developing a brand AAA game from scratch. This is no where near as egregious as the Last of Us remake though as that was more of remaster than a remake despite what that call it.

Dead Space Remake Gameplay Improvements:

The Peeling System:
Necromorphs, monstrosities unlike anything seen before, have been reconstructed around the new Peeling System, which introduces layered flesh, tendons and bones that break, tear and shatter in shocking new ways. And while strategy is key, players will also experience increased opportunities for creativity in how they utilize their variety of unique weapons and abilities to combat these horrifying enemies.

The Intensity Director: Dead Space’s beautifully crafted, equally haunting world has long been easy for players to get lost in, but now players will truly feel the weight of every mysterious step Isaac takes. The new Intensity Director dynamically adjusts what shows up in Isaac’s path, from Necromorph spawns and how they choose to attack them, to environmental effects such as light, smoke, particles and sound. Isaac’s heartbeat, breathing, and exertions also adjust based on his stress level to provide players direct feedback into his mental, emotional and physical state.

An Enhanced Engineering Fantasy: Without weapons or backup, Isaac is forced to defend himself against the Necromorphs by leveraging high-tech mining tools to strategically dismember nightmarish creatures, solve puzzles on his thrilling journey and turn the Ishimura’s malfunctioning systems to his advantage. Originally a silent protagonist, players will now hear more from the beloved engineer via new narrative enrichments voiced by Gunner Wright, the original voice of Isaac in Dead Space 2 (2011) and Dead Space 3 (2013).

A Fully Interconnected Ishimura: From the start screen to the end credits, players will confront the frighteningly tight corridors and shadowed hallways of the USG Ishimura without a single load screen or camera cut ever breaking the immersion. This enormous mining ship has been restored for the remake with new rooms, routes and obstacles while permitting seamless exploration with new UI map controls and an improved locator.

As you can see, this is not just a simple remaster, but rather, a full reimagining of the game that will even feature “newly added narrative elements” for players to discover

It might not be a remaster, but the choice of engine is showing its age. given this is a next gen only remake, it does not look next gen.

I watched a few reaction videos of gaming youtubers talking about it and agree with many points made.

The 2D sprites used for fire, smoke, liquids and randomly disappearing sprites as the camera gets close as well as "vomit" still coming out of invisible heads shown in the trailer etc were quite off putting.
Games uses Frostbite 4 which only a couple other games use, seems Frostbite is more suited to fast paced games where these 2D flat sprites are not noticed because you're always in fast motion - A game like Dead Space is slow paced and these engine flaws are noticed more clearly.

I agree with them that this does NOT look like a next gen game, which is puzzling because they are only releasing it on next gen platforms, so you would have expected next gen engine dynamics but even the smoke being flat 2D is really off putting and breaks the ambience.

I will still play it, but will have to force myself to not pay attention to that stuff.

I am currently playing Days Gone for example, and that has a lot of 2D vegetation/foliage but because it's so dense and reactive as you walk past etc, it makes up for it with the quality of everything else. All the smoke/fire etc are volumetric 3D too so that makes things much better. That's a last gen with a massive open world environment filled with atmosphere, so I expected much more from this much smaller game world on the remake.

Anyway, let's see if this is just early footage and we get a day 1 patch or something to fix those issues. I will not be paying RRP for this otherwise and will wait until key sites have it on cheap before playing it.

Oh btw, Callisto Protocol looks miles better. It is by the lead guy behind Dead Space and Callisto envisions how he originally would have wanted Dead Space to be anyway. His team is also made up of the same folks behind Dead Space if I recall correctly.

And the game is actually a decent good pc port. It supports high refresh rates up to around 200 hz with no issues. It also supports 21:9 with no modding at all. Not bad for a 13 year old Xbox 360 game.
Dammit, it was a fantastic port!

There were, I think, two single sections that sucked with the original controls. One with a tentacle. One with… something like a rail shooter. That wa ms it.
The game was a hell of a lot easier with the original mouse & keyboard controls than it was with a controller. It took me a good hour to get the achievement for the cannon sequence on Xbox 360. I hit the hull percentage for that achievement first try on PC.

The game was a hell of a lot easier with the original mouse & keyboard controls than it was with a controller. It took me a good hour to get the achievement for the cannon sequence on Xbox 360. I hit the hull percentage for that achievement first try on PC.
That was it. The tentacle section sucked with a mouse for sure, and I think it took me two tries to pass the cannon sequence... but that was the only time I got at all irked about the controls. That I remember at least - it's been YEARS.

Back