Dark Souls Will Eat Skyrim's Face @ IGN

Its a fair statement that Bethesda is lazy because the mod community bails them out every time and makes their game much better.

Well, maybe thats not a fair statement, that Horse Armor DLC must have taken months of development time.

Its a fair statement that Bethesda is lazy because the mod community bails them out every time and makes their game much better.

Well, maybe thats not a fair statement, that Horse Armor DLC must have taken months of development time.

Some of it really has to do with the nature of the game itself. You simply can't catch all of the bugs in a game like Skyrim. Bethesda's biggest problem is that they never spend enough time patching a game.

Gentlemen, I have outstanding news, Atlus has decided to keep the Demon's Souls servers going untill 2012. They were originally scheduled to be shut down on october 11th, but they decided to postpone that in order to give gamers who haven't played Demon's Souls yet a chance to see what it's like if they decide to buy it upon hearing about Dark Souls for the first time.

I think this is a good move on their part.

Gentlemen, I have outstanding news, Atlus has decided to keep the Demon's Souls servers going untill 2012. They were originally scheduled to be shut down on october 11th, but they decided to postpone that in order to give gamers who haven't played Demon's Souls yet a chance to see what it's like if they decide to buy it upon hearing about Dark Souls for the first time.

I think this is a good move on their part.

I heard about that yesterday it is indeed great news. Demon's Souls pissed me off many times, but I liked every second of it.

Wooow, Demons\Dark Souls is nothing like Elder Scrolls. Maybe they should compare Deus Ex and Call of Duty games next on the basis that they both contain guns.

DS is relatively linear, lacks narrative, and is 95% about combat; Elder Scrolls isn't. Above all, I mod (e.g. create modifications) the shit out of my ES games. Completely different experiences and I'll probably get both.

Man there is a lot of bashing here.

Ok I am firmly in the pc gaming crowd. Have been for the past 20 years.
I do own a ps3. Mostly for watching blurays and netflix. I do have several games on ps3 but the only ones that drew me away were the original uncharted and demons souls. Demon souls tore me away from my pc and made me feel like the old games made me feel. Wanting to stay up late to try to beat the next boss. Not wanting to wait to get off of work. Its a great game...and hard as hell

Attempting to compare these two games and declare one the victor over the other immediately shows that someone has bias towards one or the other game. Are they both RPG's? Yes. Do they have the same gameplay experience? No. Elder Scroll games are huge realms that play to curiosity and exploration. DS was more combat focused with a different pace. It doesn't rely on the story so much as the dark ambiance.

I don't know. I don't understand the point of this thread, unless it was simplified to "I'm going to tell you why dark souls will be great because I have nothing else going on right now."

They definately have a point about skyrim being stupid expensive. Its priced way above any other PC game, and isn't even the full title. I was definately going to purchase skyrim, but at the price it is, when I know an avalance of "extra" content will be coming for it at probably 50% of the cost of the base title...i'm probably going to sit this one out. It's not like ill bewaiting for a (much cheaper) AAA title in the meantime. :p

They definately have a point about skyrim being stupid expensive. Its priced way above any other PC game, and isn't even the full title. I was definately going to purchase skyrim, but at the price it is, when I know an avalance of "extra" content will be coming for it at probably 50% of the cost of the base title...i'm probably going to sit this one out. It's not like ill bewaiting for a (much cheaper) AAA title in the meantime. :p

Huh? Outside of the early attempts with Oblivion Besthesda has done DLC better than almost everyone else in the industry. Not all of the FO3 DLC was great, but none of it felt "pulled from the game" or like it was quickly slapped together or any other problem that most DLC has.

Cept from what I heard, Dark souls is NOT open world, at least like Skyrim/Elder scrolls games. It's more hub-open world style pathway style, like say Fable.

Wooow, Demons\Dark Souls is nothing like Elder Scrolls. Maybe they should compare Deus Ex and Call of Duty games next on the basis that they both contain guns.
DS is relatively linear, lacks narrative, and is 95% about combat; Elder Scrolls isn't. Above all, I mod (e.g. create modifications) the shit out of my ES games. Completely different experiences and I'll probably get both.
haha

Cept from what I heard, Demon's souls is NOT open world, at least like Skyrim/Elder scrolls games. It's more hub-open world style.
Yeah but the article compared Dark Souls vs Skyrim.

True, but DLCs have mostly been bad money grabs. Whole idea is somewhat stupid from consumers point of view, I`d rather have good expansion pack or two instead of smaller expansions that end up costing twice as much and being alot worse. Stuff like GTA4 Ballad of Gay Tony is about minimum on how much additional content should be in DLC / small xpack (unless it is really cheap, like 2 bucks).

Cept from what I heard, Dark souls is NOT open world, at least like Skyrim/Elder scrolls games. It's more hub-open world style pathway style, like say Fable.

Dark Souls is open world.

True, but DLCs have mostly been bad money grabs. Whole idea is somewhat stupid from consumers point of view, I`d rather have good expansion pack or two instead of smaller expansions that end up costing twice as much and being alot worse. Stuff like GTA4 Ballad of Gay Tony is about minimum on how much additional content should be in DLC / small xpack (unless it is really cheap, like 2 bucks).

The FO3 DLC packs were like miniature expansion packs. At $10 a piece the first three were the price of a normal expansion pack and added about what you would have normally gotten from a retail expansion.

BGoT was a better story than the original imo, that was dlc done right!

BGoT was a better story than the original imo, that was dlc done right!

Sadly, that's the exception rather than the norm.

Skyrim probably will have Horse Armor and and a Rookery

but you know what? I think i'll go to the store, buy some soda, and play some Demon's Souls tonight.

Sadly, that's the exception rather than the norm.

Skyrim probably will have Horse Armor and and a Rookery

but you know what? I think i'll go to the store, buy some soda, and play some Demon's Souls tonight.

Bethesda has pretty much proven that they realized how stupid Horse Armor was. If they didn't they would have pulled the same shit for FO3.

I'm basically saying not to have high expectations for DLC.

Dark Souls will have ZERO DLC.

The producers said that what you get when you buy it is the finished game, barring any necessary patches.

Bethesda is one of the few companies I expect to release good DLC.

They said no plans. Which is covering their ass in case they change their mind down the line. Though so far most Japanese companies have proven it's better if they don't do DLC.

It's a sad commentary when an obscure game like Dark Souls turns out to be one of the best gaming experiences over a triple A title like Skyrim.

It should be PC games and a title like Skyrim that should offer the best possible gaming experience, not a console game like Dark Souls, but that's simply not the case here.

You crack me up. You seem to have 2 types of posts, one calling everyone sheeple and one that lords your opinion over everyone.

Guess what, not everyone likes games to be exactly the way you like them. I haven't read anything on Dark Souls, but Demon's Souls was a moderately fun 15 hours of gameplay, and then it got incredibly boring because you have already seen every ambush, have all the weapons, etc. Oh yeah, it was sooooo hard when every single fight in the game had an easy way to cheese the shit out of it. :rolleyes:

Compare the 25 hours I put in to Demon's Souls and haven't touched it since with the 350ish hours I put into Oblivion over the course of a few years (bought it at release and again about a year later for ps3, and then again on steam last year). I sure hate AAA games that I get 300+ hours of fun out of.

Huh? Outside of the early attempts with Oblivion Besthesda has done DLC better than almost everyone else in the industry. Not all of the FO3 DLC was great, but none of it felt "pulled from the game" or like it was quickly slapped together or any other problem that most DLC has.

Where does this congratory attitude come from? The only other title on steam that were/are at the same price point are CoD black ops and MW3. RAGE/DE:HR/etc etc are all in one lower price point, even FO3/Fallout NV were. You can be pretty much garanteed that soon enough a GOTY edition will come out for cheaper than the cost of the original title. It's single player, so where is my incentive to buy it at overpriced full price when I know it's going to be stuffed full of bugs/shitty textures/barely passable models at release? Paying them more than it is worth at release just encourages them to do it again and again.

Wasn't some of the early oblivion DLC where much of the modern hatred for it came from?

Where does this congratory attitude come from? The only other title on steam that were/are at the same price point are CoD black ops and MW3. RAGE/DE:HR/etc etc are all in one lower price point, even FO3/Fallout NV were. You can be pretty much garanteed that soon enough a GOTY edition will come out for cheaper than the cost of the original title. It's single player, so where is my incentive to buy it at overpriced full price when I know it's going to be stuffed full of bugs/shitty textures/barely passable models at release? Paying them more than it is worth at release just encourages them to do it again and again.

Wasn't some of the early oblivion DLC where much of the modern hatred for it came from?

That's the aforementioned Horse Armor DLC, the only thing worse than that was Dragon Age Origin's shoving that whole Warden's Keep DLC in your face at the campire.

WE HAVE QUEST 4 U!!! but lulz you can't play it untill you buy the Wardens Keep DLC!!!

Talk about totally breaking your immersion.

Where did I mention price at all? Pretty sure I didn't say a single thing about it. I was just talking about the DLC.

Yes, but Bethesda actually did something smart and listened to their customer's reactions to things like Horse Armor.

I can't wait for Skyrim, even though I will probably play it about 6 months after it comes out. Bethesda makes large scope games that are buggy. I'm playing through Oblivion with all of the DLC and the mods that enhance difficulty and upgrade the environment textures. It's great looking and fun.

I don't really get the Dark Souls vs. Skyrim Cage Match view that some people want to promote. They sound pretty different in what they are really trying to offer.

The generalization about DLC being poor value and that you are being sold an incomplete game is a bit silly.

How would you even define a complete game for instance? Lets take a look at Fallout 3, is it an incomplete game without Point Lookout installed? Was Half-life 2 incomplete since they released Episode 1 and 2? Actually is still incomplete to this point since we still have no resolution to Episode 2 (lol...)? Was Starcraft an incomplete game, since other then adding the new units Brood Wars could have been made using the SC map editor?

Where does this congratory attitude come from? The only other title on steam that were/are at the same price point are CoD black ops and MW3. RAGE/DE:HR/etc etc are all in one lower price point, even FO3/Fallout NV were.

Rage is $60 as well.

Dark Souls will have ZERO DLC.

The producers said that what you get when you buy it is the finished game, barring any necessary patches.

There is something elegant about that. It's like a masterpiece you wouldn't retouch and add to later. TES games are more accommodating of "drop in content".

If you ask me, IGN stated the obvious in this article. There is room for both games, I already said I'm playing both, but the Souls franchise feels so much fresher than Elder Scrolls. And it has the feeling I used to get from playing video games before they got so popular and dumbed down.

Well thats silly. On the europe store its listed as 30($46) for rage and 40($61) for skyrim... I got rage for 20($30) during the quakecon sale...

Wait Steam didn't screw over you guys with the one dollar=one euro thing? That is shocking.

Wait Steam didn't screw over you guys with the one dollar=one euro thing? That is shocking.

Thats what I mean by it's silly :D

For the first time since...forever games on steam are cheaper than in the US...(this is gbp btw) Lots of them are much cheaper like witcher/rage/shogun 2 etc. I don't know when that happened...:confused: Maybe soon people from the US will be asking for gift copies! I know the dollar value is messed up at the moment or something?

Still cant buy space marine though :(

Bethesda has pretty much proven that they realized how stupid Horse Armor was. If they didn't they would have pulled the same shit for FO3.

Yeah, they pretty much repented of their ways since then. They even said Skyrim DLC's will be more like mini expansions. Between FO3 sized DLC and Shivering Isles.

If someone gives me a PlayStation, I'll go and play Dark Souls.

That's why I said compared to their usual fare. I was implying that most of their other articles are even worse.

Ha, aint that the truth. I go to tremendous lengths to avoid that site. Especially for news, because their pages are just filled with opinions being thrown around like fact.

Ohh and I read that as decently written.. I get it now, better written then most of the articles but still shit.

Ha, aint that the truth. I go to tremendous lengths to avoid that site. Especially for news, because their pages are just filled with opinions being thrown around like fact.

I was so pissed when they bought 1Up. They "promised" not to change 1Up. Uh-huh, 1Up is total shit already.

October 4th is less than 2 weeks away, I know exactly what I will be doing once my copy arrives.

Yup November 11th is a couple months away, I know exactly what I will be doing once I go and purchase my copy.

Hey, I may go out and pick up a PS3 for this game! I am up for a feature packed, combat heavy, challenging RPG. Besides there are some other PS3 games I might want to try. I have never played a PS3 game in my life...

Back