Dark Souls is on Steam

Wait 'til you try #2 if you haven't already. The areas don't link up quite as neatly, but the game is more than 2x as large out of the box and maybe 3x as large with all of the DLC.

#TRUTHFACTITHURTS

The DLC is magnificent. DS2 is the better game for it.
DS still has more ominous locations though, which give it a very unique, more epic atmosphere.

DS still has more ominous locations though, which give it a very unique, more epic atmosphere.

you think DS2 is the better game??...yes it's bigger in size but bigger doesn't always mean better

#TRUTHFACTITHURTS

I dunno, I think people tend to attach a certain amount of nostalgia to DS1 when considering it in retrospect. Everyone remembers their first time. Were someone to play DS2 first and then play DS1, I bet they wouldn't think DS1 was the better game. They both need to be experienced in any case, and its almost pointless to try to say one is better/worse than the other.

you think DS2 is the better game??...yes it's bigger in size but bigger doesn't always mean better

Yes.
I recall DS like the back of my hand, and while it definitely made a bigger impression on me story wise, unique characters and locations, DS2 is a better video game. The DLC seals it for me.

BUT,
this is 98 vs 99 percentile nitpicking. so take that how you will... tomorrow my favorite will be... ;)

Yes.
I recall DS like the back of my hand, and while it definitely made a bigger impression on me story wise, unique characters and locations, DS2 is a better video game. The DLC seals it for me.

BUT,
this is 98 vs 99 percentile nitpicking. so take that how you will... tomorrow my favorite will be... ;)

agreed that it's close and the DS2 DLC is the only reason the gap is so close...DS2 made a lot of nice changes as far as mechanics and pvp but to me the story is what puts DS1 on top

Dark Souls PC Steam migration now planned for December

In an update made to the Steam announcement page, From Software now say they are “targeting” December. Here’s what it says:

"We are working hard to finalize the process to move your Dark Souls: Prepare to Die saves and achievements to Steam. We need to conduct additional testing and we are now targeting December to begin this process. We’ll have more information in the coming weeks. Thank you very much for your patience!"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/619568794059742135/

Announcement of a delay isn't bad, its the long periods of silence over the summer with no news or updates that were far worse. December is already next week. Will be great to experience DS1 with PvP for the first time - I've never experienced it anything but Offline since I refused to install GFWLware.

Dark Souls PC Steam migration now planned for December

In an update made to the Steam announcement page, From Software now say they are “targeting” December. Here’s what it says:

"We are working hard to finalize the process to move your Dark Souls: Prepare to Die saves and achievements to Steam. We need to conduct additional testing and we are now targeting December to begin this process. We’ll have more information in the coming weeks. Thank you very much for your patience!"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/619568794059742135/

Bahaha I knew it.
They have like 5 days left in Nov and its a holiday week, no way this was coming out.
Whatever, its coming, GFWL is dead, and after this I can finally completely remove that shit from my PC. Hooray

yeah, as a crafted and integrated game it is far superior. except for lost izalith, that level feels incomplete. DS2 was like they gave a bunch of different people the task of completing a level and they connected them together. The DLC is much better but still somewhat lacking.

yeah, as a crafted and integrated game it is far superior. except for lost izalith, that level feels incomplete. DS2 was like they gave a bunch of different people the task of completing a level and they connected them together. The DLC is much better but still somewhat lacking.

In fairness, I can think of some shit level design in DS1 too though. When I hit Crystal Cave I stopped playing for like a month just because I couldn't pull myself to continuing- the first real "I dont care about this game anymore" moment. New Londo Ruins I always hated with a passion, crawling around in the sewers in Depths, and Blighttown -- well, was Blighttown. There were enough levels in DS1 that I dreaded the idea of seeing again in subsequent playthroughs that my desire for more playthroughs dried up quickly. With DS2 I don't have nearly the same "ugh' feeling about any of the levels except maybe the Sewers, and The Gutter with the god damn poison spitting statues.

In terms of how the maps were interwoven and linked back to the main hub at Firelink Shrine in DS1, yeah that was a masterwork. But when I think of which game I've had more playthroughs with, that's DS2. When I think of which game would I rather start a new playthrough with today, again DS2. My 2c. I realize its all subjective.

Last edited:
I don't consider the interconnected level design in DS1 a positive or a negative...for me DS2's biggest fault were the bosses...they didn't seem as inspired or difficult...seems like From just decided to multiply them by 2 or 3 in a fight and considered that more difficult...having multiple bosses increases the difficulty in an artificial way...if you're going to have multiple bosses at least make it so that they all don't do the exact same move-set (Ornstein and Smough was a dual boss fight done right)

I don't even care about bigger.

DkS2 has better gameplay than DkS1, with better usage of its various sub-systems. It also has much better planning of enemy encounters, with better integration of the environment into those encounters. And the environments are generally more tiered and twisted around on themselves. DkS2 reminds me more of Demon's Souls.

Dark Souls 1 is an uncommon achievement in art direction, general mythos and lore, and integration of that lore into the continuity of the game/gameplay. However, its predecessor,Demon's Souls, has about 1/3 the amount of enemy types as Dark Souls 1; yet manages to be way more interesting when considering integration of the environment into gameplay and the subsequent setups for enemy encounters. I also prefer Demon's Souls quicker game speed and its not poise based stat system. It generally makes more build types viable and playstyles focusing on rolling/dodging are legit pursuits. Rather than a purposeful limitation. Demon's Souls is also as good or better, in terms of art direction. it also integrates the lore into the game and its gameplay about as well as Dark Souls 1 did. So all that Dark Souls 1 clearly has going for it, is how specifically good the mythos and lore is.

Last edited:
I like DS1 slightly better than #2 as well. I always enjoy when level designers can make crazy winding paths link together into a large hub, and DS1 did that very, very well. DS2 had tons of things that were better, but the level design for #1 gives it an edge for me.

Just stumbled across this crazy tree-zone in the swamp. Kinda scared to see how deep this rabbit-whole goes :eek:

Found the Cloranthy ring though, woot!
A world of astonishment awaits. It really brought the universe of the game into perspective for me, and I think this was where my obsession with Dark Souls really began.

The tree itself is a pain, though. I always dread going in there. There are a lot of hidden nooks and crannies to find if you're brave enough ;).

In fairness, I can think of some shit level design in DS1 too though. When I hit Crystal Cave I stopped playing for like a month just because I couldn't pull myself to continuing- the first real "I dont care about this game anymore" moment. New Londo Ruins I always hated with a passion, crawling around in the sewers in Depths, and Blighttown -- well, was Blighttown. There were enough levels in DS1 that I dreaded the idea of seeing again in subsequent playthroughs that my desire for more playthroughs dried up quickly. With DS2 I don't have nearly the same "ugh' feeling about any of the levels except maybe the Sewers, and The Gutter with the god damn poison spitting statues.

In terms of how the maps were interwoven and linked back to the main hub at Firelink Shrine in DS1, yeah that was a masterwork. But when I think of which game I've had more playthroughs with, that's DS2. When I think of which game would I rather start a new playthrough with today, again DS2. My 2c. I realize its all subjective.

There is no Lost Izalith in DS2, and no Bed of Shithole stupid boss either. As much as I love DS1, Bed of Shithole stops my enjoyment of the game with its boring design; avoid the arms! bullshit with what amounts to attack the points. Your battle skills are worthless here, have fun with this shitty puzzle boss while we try to push you into these holes!
So everyone just cheeses the boss with firebombs at the beginning....

Anyway, I know its not popular, but I wanted an area like Tomb of Giants in DS2 and we never got one. Loved the dark. Need more dark. The gutter isn't that dark, even without a torch, but you might walk off a cliff...
I like the tension. Especially the first time in that area, you must be crazy to do it without a light, and I got to the 2nd bonfire before I knew there was a light item I could use. That was crazy with those skely apes around.... much easier and enjoyable with a light...

Blightown is also very memorable. There is nothing like Blightown; the poison swamp, in DS2. It kinda disappoints me.

There is no Lost Izalith in DS2, and no Bed of Shithole stupid boss either. As much as I love DS1, Bed of Shithole stops my enjoyment of the game with its boring design; avoid the arms! bullshit with what amounts to attack the points. Your battle skills are worthless here, have fun with this shitty puzzle boss while we try to push you into these holes!
So everyone just cheeses the boss with firebombs at the beginning....

Anyway, I know its not popular, but I wanted an area like Tomb of Giants in DS2 and we never got one. Loved the dark. Need more dark. The gutter isn't that dark, even without a torch, but you might walk off a cliff...
I like the tension. Especially the first time in that area, you must be crazy to do it without a light, and I got to the 2nd bonfire before I knew there was a light item I could use. That was crazy with those skely apes around.... much easier and enjoyable with a light...

Blightown is also very memorable. There is nothing like Blightown; the poison swamp, in DS2. It kinda disappoints me.

Bed of Chaos = Dragon God. I never really minded either one.

Tomb of the Giants had some really cool sections. I'd like another. Leeroy had a decent story and was fun to fight too.

Blighttown = Valley of Defilement. Blighttown is probably a little better overall. Play Demon's Souls if you haven't.

Bed of Chaos = Dragon God. I never really minded either one.

Tomb of the Giants had some really cool sections. I'd like another. Leeroy had a decent story and was fun to fight too.

Blighttown = Valley of Defilement. Blighttown is probably a little better overall. Play Demon's Souls if you haven't.

Is that a DeS to DS comparison?
Well maybe thats the Miyazaki difference... For better or worse...

Blighttown is a slightly more fleshed out area. However, the swamp in Valley of Defilement is a much more imminent consideration on gameplay. Its toxic effects are much stronger and there's no ring to let you move freely. It is a truly oppressive area, even for long time players. And movement restrictions force you to come up with some very interesting tactics; especially for PVP.

Last edited:
People always complain about those two archers in Anor Londo but maybe I just got lucky, I ran up there and slapped em down first attempt.

Last edited:
I've never had any issue with those archers. Just get behind something for cover if you need to then run up and hit them.

My very first playthrough, I made it past them no problem. didn't die, didn't even really remember them.

The second playthrough took me like an HOUR and I died like 10 freaking times! haha

My very first playthrough, I made it past them no problem. didn't die, didn't even really remember them.

The second playthrough took me like an HOUR and I died like 10 freaking times! haha

This is my experience. still havent gotten past them.

Do you guys usually kill the left or right first?

This is my experience. still havent gotten past them.

Do you guys usually kill the left or right first?

In my experience, you have to go for the right one first because once you get up to the ledge, none of the left knight's ranged attacks can hit you. Once you get to the ledge, run towards the right and you have to time your roll exactly when the knight lets an arrow loose and try to land a hit before he can switch to melee. Trying to block the ranged attack from the ledge will almost always lead to a fall.

If you go to the left, you'll be a sitting duck against the knight on the right's ranged attacks.

not true, the left archer can hit you part way to the right dude. Doesn't happen much but I have had it happen. Anyway go right, roll when he shoots then shield up and hope he drops.

or get someone to drop you a greatbow and great arrows. you can shoot both their asses off the ledge even without being able to use the bow

Tried 3 more times last night to no avail. So frustrating. Laughed after the first one, said wtf after the second, alt f4 after the 3rd. Just didn't have the patience for that shit. Definitely gotta be in the right mood for DS.

Tried 3 more times last night to no avail. So frustrating. Laughed after the first one, said wtf after the second, alt f4 after the 3rd. Just didn't have the patience for that shit. Definitely gotta be in the right mood for DS.

Ah yes I remember those times. I would fire up Dark Souls and 5 minutes I would be too frustrated and quit. Then other times I would spend 2 hours on the same boss without any issue. like you said you have to be in the right mood for DS or you wont last long.

Chocko, are you still stuck on the archers? If you have a bow and poison arrows, use that.

to get past the archers just 2-hand a shield (hopefully one with 100% physical defense)...no weapon at all is needed...run up to him and block while letting him swing away (taking time to recharge your stamina when he backs off)...he'll quickly fall off that ledge...if you're good at parrying you can try that as well but I since I suck at it I just go on the defensive and let him fall off

Chocko, are you still stuck on the archers? If you have a bow and poison arrows, use that.
Hmm i do have both of those. And yes I'm still on the Archers :( Never even used a poison arrow... guess i'll give that a shot this evening! Does poison work againts NPC's the same as it does against me? Like, you have to build it up, then it applies and does damage over time?

to get past the archers just 2-hand a shield (hopefully one with 100% physical defense)...no weapon at all is needed...run up to him and block while letting him swing away (taking time to recharge your stamina when he backs off)...he'll quickly fall off that ledge...if you're good at parrying you can try that as well but I since I suck at it I just go on the defensive and let him fall off

I've never heard of two-handing a shield... does it increase the stability? Do you get knocked back less from those harpoon-arrows?

I've never heard of two-handing a shield... does it increase the stability? Do you get knocked back less from those harpoon-arrows?

I think it increases stability...the key is to run right up in his face so the archer will switch out to his sword...time your run so that you take off as soon as he fires...you don't even need to roll

Yeah, you have to build up poison in NPCs. In that building with the two demons right before the archers, if you stand back far enough, their arrows won't reach you.

Back