Dark Souls is on Steam

Regardless of the ending you get, you're still basically the villain of the game. Though maybe misguided, none of the bosses in the game are truly evil.

This part became apparent after the story of the Four Kings and how it is implied that they were used by the serpent to turn to dark. And Gywn... it sounded like he tried to Link the fire after the Bed of Chaos was created, but instead the Kiln was torched along with the Black Knights. The fire itself can not be controlled and this is the cycle of the Undead. What about Dark Sun Gywndolin?? He created the illusion of Gwynevre that tells you to follow Frampt and keep the fire alive. Was he going against the wishes of his father? You fight him in his father's tomb.... but then you kill his father in the Kiln.... hmmm..... I still don't understand his story very well.

It's crazy that you get that all from item descriptions and very vague things the game shows you. I hope they make the story more apparent, so you don't have to dig so much, to understand in DSII.

I will say this. That cliffhanger, totally made jump right back in to NG+ so I can see the "true ending" :) (I am already at the Tomb of Giants lol)

with the Master Key you can bypass a lot of the early game...a quick run is pretty easy with it

This part became apparent after the story of the Four Kings and how it is implied that they were used by the serpent to turn to dark. And Gywn... it sounded like he tried to Link the fire after the Bed of Chaos was created, but instead the Kiln was torched along with the Black Knights. The fire itself can not be controlled and this is the cycle of the Undead. What about Dark Sun Gywndolin?? He created the illusion of Gwynevre that tells you to follow Frampt and keep the fire alive. Was he going against the wishes of his father? You fight him in his father's tomb.... but then you kill his father in the Kiln.... hmmm..... I still don't understand his story very well.

It's crazy that you get that all from item descriptions and very vague things the game shows you. I hope they make the story more apparent, so you don't have to dig so much, to understand in DSII.

I will say this. That cliffhanger, totally made jump right back in to NG+ so I can see the "true ending" :) (I am already at the Tomb of Giants lol)

The first flame represents the mortality of man, nothing can make it burn forever. The four lords, searching for immortality, thought the flame would give them ultimate power and allow them to rule forever. Unfortunately, the pursuit of power and immortality corrupted all involved. Fire consumes, just as you consume souls to become more powerful. Fire also must have fuel; the souls of the hollow. The Bed of Chaos was an attempt to start anew with a primeval flame they could "control".

Since you carry the darksign, you can choose to turn your back on the Age of Fire, ending the curse. Doing so begins the Age of Man (Dark).

It's a creation myth.

I'm in the Gravelord Servant covenant since I'm in NG+ (or NG++, can't remember), but I have yet to actually have someone invade me to deactivate the eye of death.

that's actually a really cool covenant as well...I like that players have to find the gravelord sign and then invade your world and kill you to remove the curse (or whatever its called) from your world...in my early days playing I never understood what those 'the disasters are gone after the defeat of the gravelord servant' messages meant

hopefully when GFWL is removed it doesn't affect your saves

Something tells me our saves will be fine. You can already copy+paste the savegame endlessly and make back-ups by hand.

Something tells me our saves will be fine. You can already copy+paste the savegame endlessly and make back-ups by hand.

I'm tempted to start doing this when i have a lot of souls and humanity. Losing that shit is annoying... but it kinda defeats the no quick-save nature of the game..

Don't do it, losing your humanity and souls is valid punishment for rushing or poor decisions (though occasionally a bug will get you killed, and THAT'S annoying). Besides, there are ALWAYS more souls and more humanity. What's lost can be regained if you die again before reaching your blood stain. I'm on NG+ and I'm sitting on souls and humanity I really don't need. Humanity is now my go-to heal item, with the flasks being the emergency reserves (used to be the other way around when I started out!)

I decided to try practicing some pvp parrying last night. I got a few good parry's in after figuring out the timings of their attacks, but man did I ever die a lot... lol. I think I invaded like 15 times and only won 4 rounds...

I'm still behind on my gear though. I think I'm going to take a breather on pvp and get further so I can upgrade my gear.

I wouldn't use the backing-up of saves to nullify the game, but if you're farming slabs from those crystal lizards in the tree I'd 100% recommend it. Otherwise you're stuck farming from Darkwraiths for hours upon hours.

I decided to try practicing some pvp parrying last night. I got a few good parry's in after figuring out the timings of their attacks, but man did I ever die a lot... lol. I think I invaded like 15 times and only won 4 rounds

I find parrying in pvp to be annoying and a pita because of the lag...even if you get the timings down it's still hit/miss because of the lag...I barely use parrying in pvp because of that...backstabs are much easier for me to do in pvp then parrying

Parrying is best done with a good critical set up. Dark Silver Tracer/Gold Tracer can put someone down in a single parry. It's best to have a good defensive swap set up, then switch to tracer when in close. I had a guy completely destroy me last weekend because I didn't expect him to swap.

Parrying is best done with a good critical set up. Dark Silver Tracer/Gold Tracer can put someone down in a single parry. It's best to have a good defensive swap set up, then switch to tracer when in close. I had a guy completely destroy me last weekend because I didn't expect him to swap.

for close up battles I like a +15 Shotel best...destroys all shields and the only counter to a Shotel is to parry

I find parrying in pvp to be annoying and a pita because of the lag...even if you get the timings down it's still hit/miss because of the lag...I barely use parrying in pvp because of that...backstabs are much easier for me to do in pvp then parrying

The only weapon I can parry with anything greater than a 50% success rate is the Samurai Swords and that is only if the player sucks. You just let them hit you with the first hit and then hit the parry button and you will almost always parry if they swing a second time....Which most of them can't resist doing over and over again.

Was at about 70% last night in the forest which is pretty good for me considering I can't back stab for shit so I have pretty much all but avoided it.

I stick to the Giant Armor Set, Grass Shield, and Great Scythe. If a magic user pops in I switch my shield to a Crest and Dragon Crest for Pyro. I block all day and then wait for them to fuck up and take advantage of that.

There are some really good players out there. Hit up one dude who fought me for about 5 and I almost had him when he answered my shield with the Shotel his light armor vs my heavy armor would have ended him......but then he switched his armor on the fly and managed to deal lethal damage with the Shotel before I could deal leathal damage with the Great Scythe.

For some reason this game's PvP reminds me of magic the gathering probably because of the many different builds and strategies and how everything is taken into account luck, skill, gear, and knowledge all play a big role in PvP...probably why I enjoy it so much as well.

The main small thing I'd like changed is the back stabs and parries. Not 100% sure on how they can make it better but Speeding up or removing the animation would be a bit nice for PvP (though the animation is gratifying as taco's) and if they speed it up they could remove the protection that is granted while doing it. It would also be cool if you could have some type of recovery action you could take while getting parried or back stabbed to mitigate some damage and make you get up and recover faster either via ring or a trigger or both. A ring that reduces crit damage by 10% and then hitting R2 as your falling after a crit to catch yourself from not face planting after words would reduce 10% damage and make you get up faster.

....but considering just how good this game is who am I to say what would or wouldn't making this game better.

I kept getting backstabbed last night. I don't think it was even my sloppiness, they were probably lag stabs. Usually my opponent was in front of me, maybe 45 degrees to my left or right, but still managed to just appear behind and stab me.

I kept getting backstabbed last night. I don't think it was even my sloppiness, they were probably lag stabs. Usually my opponent was in front of me, maybe 45 degrees to my left or right, but still managed to just appear behind and stab me.

Are you rolling? Usually if I'm locked on with my shield up and he is trying to spin around me to back stab he can't....But if I roll or swing a back stab is almost guaranteed....Though Lag Stabs do happen how is your internet speed?

Also I'm guessing they only have a few servers so if you are far from the main server and the other person is close they probably have significantly less lag.

If your a strength build I find that the Dragon King Greataxe's 2 handed R2 attack Stops abusive back stabbers in their tracks once you learn to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GYu6zLY-sY

Are you rolling? Usually if I'm locked on with my shield up and he is trying to spin around me to back stab he can't....But if I roll or swing a back stab is almost guaranteed....Though Lag Stabs do happen how is your internet speed?

Also I'm guessing they only have a few servers so if you are far from the main server and the other person is close they probably have significantly less lag.

If your a strength build I find that the Dragon King Greataxe's 2 handed R2 attack Stops abusive back stabbers in their tracks once you learn to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GYu6zLY-sY

backstabs happen even if the guy is right in front of you...he just suddenly moves to the side and backstabs...I have a 30 Mbps download connection so that shouldn't be an issue...I also notice I mostly get connected to people in Europe or Asia when playing instead of people closer to my location (NYC)...the servers do a bad job of location detection/ping

backstabs happen even if the guy is right in front of you...he just suddenly moves to the side and backstabs...I have a 30 Mbps download connection so that shouldn't be an issue...I also notice I mostly get connected to people in Europe or Asia when playing instead of people closer to my location (NYC)...the servers do a bad job of location detection/ping

Well that is likely your problem right there. If you are playing someone is Europe and the server is in Europe there is going to be crazy lag which will likely result in a massive advantage on their end.

either way that Ax pretty much takes care of it. Just step back and then drop the bomb. They will either A.) back off and stop trying to back stab or B.) Die.

Also you can spin your character so when you drop the ax be sure to spin it.

just my 5 cents . It may not be a jawdropper graphicswise (even with the mod from nexus)... but most definatly one of the hardest/if not the hardest game ive ever played.It frustrates you from time to time
but in a positive way throwing it right into to your face :make no mistakes, Darksouls doesnt forgive:).

Downside its pretty much unplayable without an controller Xbox-style

Well that is likely your problem right there. If you are playing someone is Europe and the server is in Europe there is going to be crazy lag which will likely result in a massive advantage on their end.

either way that Ax pretty much takes care of it. Just step back and then drop the bomb. They will either A.) back off and stop trying to back stab or B.) Die.

Yeah, it's probably a connection issue between me and the other player. I have a 25 down, 2.5 up connection which is pretty solid, but if my opponent is half way across the world I can see that causing issues.

No rolling either, we're just running around facing each other and suddenly i'm backstabbed. I even find myself taking hits from the front that techinically should have been blocked.

just my 5 cents . It may not be a jawdropper graphicswise (even with the mod from nexus)... but most definatly one of the hardest/if not the hardest game ive ever played.It frustrates you from time to time
but in a positive way throwing it right into to your face :make no mistakes, Darksouls doesnt forgive:).

Downside its pretty much unplayable without an controller Xbox-style

Some people say they play Keyboard and Mouse but I just don't see how it is possible.

This was a downside too me as well....but I haven't really used a controller since PS2 so I had pretty much completely forgot how and this game forced me to relearn the controller so in a way it was a good thing.....But if Keyboard and Mouse works correctly in DS2 I'll be using that.

I love how this video talks about Dark Souls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NK_myEWApc&list=HL1382552821

Some people say they play Keyboard and Mouse but I just don't see how it is possible

I play exclusively on M/KB...and with 800+ hours in the game it's definitely more then possible...remap some functions and it's as good as a controller

I play exclusively on M/KB...and with 800+ hours in the game it's definitely more then possible...remap some functions and it's as good as a controller

Exactly. I gave up on using a controller once I discovered the DS mouse fix. I mean, the controller still works just fine, but I became more comfortable with kb/m. It just depends. I prefer sitting at my desk to play, especially for PvP, but every once in a while I plug it in in the living room and sit back with a controller.

Well i gotta say FOR ME the Kb/M solution was too complicated and its surely not for everyone. Specialy the mouse handling was a sheer nightmare to me .
I gladly would have played with Kb/M , cuz im a PC Gamer at heart....but to me me it was more struggeling than controlling anything . In some cases like in DS a Controller is more comfy. The Game itself is hard nuff already imo

After playing around in the New Londo Ruins last night, I enabled the DSFix save game backup function. I'm so tired of stupid deaths like falling off a cliff with no enemies around while trying to get to my blood stain. Hopefully this will alleviate some of the frustration i have with this game sometimes.

I was going across the first bridge and my roommate walked into my room... got distracted for a second and walked right into the water. So dumb :(

While it would cripple the multiplayer elements, I really do wish there was a pause function.

There is a pause... quit to the menu. You'll start right where you left off when you re-enter the game.

There is a pause... quit to the menu. You'll start right where you left off when you re-enter the game.

Not necessarily! Because i tried that actually, just last night. I had used a transient curse on myself, and didn't want to waste it while i had some things to take care of. So i quit to menu. Curse was gone when i logged back in :(

You can quit to main menu and everything will be as it was when you quit, you'll also be in the same spot. This should work for any buffs you might have?

After playing around in the New Londo Ruins last night, I enabled the DSFix save game backup function. I'm so tired of stupid deaths like falling off a cliff with no enemies around while trying to get to my blood stain. Hopefully this will alleviate some of the frustration i have with this game sometimes.

I was going across the first bridge and my roommate walked into my room... got distracted for a second and walked right into the water. So dumb :(

yeah, see, stuff like this is your fault. not the game. You have to pay attention and be careful with every step.

I just lost 50k souls and 10 humanity when going into Blightown from the Depths (add onto that the second death i became cursed!).. does that qualify me now as a Dark Soul player?

I just lost 50k souls and 10 humanity when going into Blightown from the Depths (add onto that the second death i became cursed!).. does that qualify me now as a Dark Soul player?

Congrats, you have now suffered as we have :D

When going to blighttown, I always take the shortcut through valley of drakes and then I sprint by the club wielding barbarians. Once I pass them, getting down to the bonfire is pretty easy.

When going to blighttown, I always take the shortcut through valley of drakes and then I sprint by the club wielding barbarians. Once I pass them, getting down to the bonfire is pretty easy.

I like the path through the Depths to Blighttown (plus an ember is in one of the rooms)...also lots of goodies to find along the way...plus there's a shortcut within Blighttown but it's hard to see...you can walk across a beam and climb down a ladder early on and get to a bonfire...but those ladders are hard to see during your first run

I can easily walk around Blighttown now without dying but those stupid mosquitos still annoy me...and that wheel which takes you to the upper level sometimes messes me up because I don't time the jump right and fall off

I like the path through the Depths to Blighttown (plus an ember is in one of the rooms)...also lots of goodies to find along the way...plus there's a shortcut within Blighttown but it's hard to see...you can walk across a beam and climb down a ladder early on and get to a bonfire...but those ladders are hard to see during your first run

I can easily walk around Blighttown now without dying but those stupid mosquitos still annoy me...and that wheel which takes you to the upper level sometimes messes me up because I don't time the jump right and fall off

I spent a couple evenings farming humanities in the depths. I equipped the cat covenant ring so it would randomly send me off to invade. Those random invasions really helped make my farming less tedious :D
I went from having 6 humanties to over 40 humanities. I should be good and ready for Sens Fortress and Anor Londo.

I equipped the cat covenant ring so it would randomly send me off to invade. Those random invasions really helped make my farming less tedious :D

so you have no control over when you invade with that covenant?...I would hate that...I hate covenants that limit the areas you can invade...I think the Darkwraith and Gravelord covs are the only ones which don't limit you to any specific area

yeah, see, stuff like this is your fault. not the game. You have to pay attention and be careful with every step.

oh i know it's not the game's fault, but I'm used to games which have save features to minimize this kind of frustration and wasted time.

Back