Dark Souls is on Steam

I'm having a difficult time making progress. level 15 warrior, with +1 balder armor and starting broadsword. Everywhere I seem to go I get killed. The church (mobbed), the forest(ice monsters and hydra) , I have nowhere left to go and it seems that larger enemies can 1 shot me even if im blocking, I have no chance. Any tips for teh noob?

Patience is key. Get a good shield and build up your stamina. Try to fight as few enemies at a time as possible. If you are going into a area with a lot of enemies use a projectile to get them to come to you. Then back up and fight just that guy, be blocking as he comes for you. After he attacks stop blocking but don't attack yet, wait for him to attack again so you can practice and get used to that kind of enemies attack patterns. Once you figure them out the game is a lot easier. All the enemies have patterns and those patterns are basically the same for all enemies of that type.
Once you do learn the patterns make sure you don't get greedy. If your not sure about landing 2 hits then just hit once then wait for the next opening. Make sure you block but don't hold block forever because your stamina will regen much slower while blocking. And of course try to do the counters or backstabs if you can.

Once you do learn the patterns make sure you don't get greedy.

THIS!

This game kicks your ass if you get greedy. Having a shield with 100% damage reduction is key (balder shield is a good one for a while).

If anything, you could always go to darkroot garden and cheese the NPC's in the woods :) To me, it didn't break the game, but made it more fun :p

looks like the Blighttown frame rate issues are still there...I noticed it after lighting the bonfire on the bridge there...definitely noticable frame rate slowdown

speaking of Blighttown...what an incredibly annoying level...it's not that it was all that difficult but it was just plain annoying...the place was a maze...all those narrow areas and tiny little wooden bridges made combat tedious with the frame rate issues making things worse...the enemies hiding in the corners with poison blow darts were an added nuisance

I noticed framerate issues seem to be tied to resting at bonfires. I only used a bonfire in Blight Town to kill the invading NPC, so the dropped frames never really showed up for me. Otherwise, I actually really like that level, it's tense and creepy. The toxic voodoo blowdart guys don't respawn.

I had some really good progress last night - Hydra, Gaping Dragon, Stray Demon all down. I even had time to help 3 people kill Capra Demon, get the Eagle shield and farm out a few green and blue titanites.

cool I just found the shortcut to New Londo Ruins and Firelink Shrine from the Swamps...I have to start writing these down so I can remember the shortcut paths

when I used the shortcut to return to Firelink the lady that upgraded my estus flask was dead...so I have to find someone else for another upgrade

cool I just found the shortcut to New Londo Ruins and Firelink Shrine from the Swamps...I have to start writing these down so I can remember the shortcut paths

when I used the shortcut to return to Firelink the lady that upgraded my estus flask was dead...so I have to find someone else for another upgrade

You can still save her when you get to
Anor Londo
and use the item you loot from her I think in a room there and kill the
fishy gold armor guy
:p

Did you loot the stuff off her corpse?

Behind the hidden wall in Queelag's lair there is an NPC that can reinforce your flasks, DON'T kill the egg infested guy.

You can still save her when you get to
Anor Londo
and use the item you loot from her I think in a room there and kill the
fishy gold armor guy
:p

I don't understand...you mean use the item I loot from her body in Firelink Shrine to kill the gold armor guy in Anor Londo?...I forgot what I looted fom her...what do I need to use from her to kill the gold armor guy?

Did you loot the stuff off her corpse?

Behind the hidden wall in Queelag's lair there is an NPC that can reinforce your flasks, DON'T kill the egg infested guy.

I did loot her corpse at Firelink...so the egg infested guy behind the hidden wall can reinforce my flask?...why would I kill him?...does he appear hostile?

I don't understand...you mean use the item I loot from her body in Firelink Shrine to kill the gold armor guy in Anor Londo?...I forgot what I looted fom her...what do I need to use from her to kill the gold armor guy?

I did loot her corpse at Firelink...so the egg infested guy behind the hidden wall can reinforce my flask?...why would I kill him?...is he hostile when seeing me?

Nope, he is not hostile but he looks like a monster and a lot of people end up attacking on sight. He doesn't reinforce your flask, the NPC in the room behind him does. Don't attack her either :p

Keep the Black Eye Orb for later in the game. That's what you looted from Anastacia.

TB put up a WTF for the game and I was going to link to it but now it seems like he took it down for some reason.

Either way his thoughts can be summed up as such: Decide for yourself if it's worth it and if you do buy it use the mod.

Yep. I wouldn't play without the mod. It works extremely well and makes the game look pretty damn good all things considered.

looks like the Blighttown frame rate issues are still there...I noticed it after lighting the bonfire on the bridge there...definitely noticable frame rate slowdown

speaking of Blighttown...what an incredibly annoying level...it's not that it was all that difficult but it was just plain annoying...the place was a maze...all those narrow areas and tiny little wooden bridges made combat tedious with the frame rate issues making things worse...the enemies hiding in the corners with poison blow darts were an added nuisance

I find Blighttown the best part of the game so far, their level design is freaking awesome. Even with 120% concentration, patience and slow progression. I still end up dying a few times, but I didn't lost any soul, always get my lost souls back. The maze is fun, there are always something new around the corner, keep me surprised. But I don't like Sen's Castle

This game is handing my ass to me on a platter. Trying to make my way through the undead burg/dragon bridge area. bad for my blood pressure

does leveling up even matter in this game or is it better to spend your souls on upgrades to your armor, weapons, magic etc?...I know you need a certain skill level to wield certain weapons, spells etc but beyond that does it really matter?

Look at the stat differences when you're increasing an attribute. It may not look like much for 1 point, but remember that the max level in this game is 750 or so. Just make sure you have a certain build in mind (as in, mainly just upgrade 3 stats) and not just add 1 point to everything as you'll struggle a bit in late game and be utterly useless in PvP.

Certain weapons also scale damage with attributes.

you really don't need a whole lot of souls to upgrade normal weapons or armor so I would just use that to level up or buy some poison arrows so you can cheese the tougher enemies later. :p

Level up as you see fit. Certain attributes have diminishing returns after a certain point, so watch how they level up. Keep in mind things like Dex speeds up casting etc.

It's smart to keep a weapon of each magical type (divine, lightning, etc) as well as one with very good raw physical damage. Get as much of every type of titanite as you can.

Look at the stat differences when you're increasing an attribute. It may not look like much for 1 point, but remember that the max level in this game is 750 or so. Just make sure you have a certain build in mind (as in, mainly just upgrade 3 stats) and not just add 1 point to everything as you'll struggle a bit in late game and be utterly useless in PvP.

Certain weapons also scale damage with attributes.

wow 750 max level!...I'm up to Sen's Fortress...went back to the Undead Asylum and cleared it out except for the new and improved boss...I'm at level 30 and couldn't beat him so I left and will try later...hardest boss for me since the Capra Demon...least I picked up some good loot (Crest shield and Rusted Iron ring)

I have the Drake sword and up until this point it's been really powerful but I'm noticing it's starting to not be as effective...I'm trying new weapons like the Claymore but none of them have the same feel and power as the Drake...the Claymore is nice but it's too slow to swing

Last edited:
Drake sword does not scale in damage. Great for early on, but not so much later. Try getting a Black Knight sword. You'll need good STR to use it, but it's pretty beefy.

I actually +5'd a Jagged Ghost blade because I like the moveset and weight. It tore the ass out of a couple bosses so far.

Drake sword does not scale in damage. Great for early on, but not so much later. Try getting a Black Knight sword. You'll need good STR to use it, but it's pretty beefy.

I actually +5'd a Jagged Ghost blade because I like the moveset and weight. It tore the ass out of a couple bosses so far.

You tore an ass out of a boss? Pics.

none of the Black Knights I've killed have dropped it (including the ones at the Undead Asylum)...I'm definitely looking for one...I'm going to try and build up my Zweihander and maybe see if I can build the Arturias sword later on...I always like having my shield so I need to build up enough strength to one-hand it

I havn't reinforced too much yet as I was waiting for a good weapon to do it on...plus the Drake has served me well thus far but as you stated it doesn't scale and there are much better weapons for later on

You should run across the Dragon Tooth before too long. There's an interesting weapon.

I just went to the Undead Parish and killed the Black Knight on the tower...once again all he dropped was a Titanite Chunk...I've killed 4 Black Knights and no weapon drops...maybe you need to reach a certain skill or level for them to start dropping their weapons

Use some humanity when farming, increases drop rates. There should be one more Black Knight on the path down to the Hydra in Darkroot. Otherwise, I don't know where the rest are as I've not been past Sen's Fortress yet.

Use some humanity when farming, increases drop rates. There should be one more Black Knight on the path down to the Hydra in Darkroot. Otherwise, I don't know where the rest are as I've not been past Sen's Fortress yet.

didn't know about the humanity tip...usually save those for when I Kindle a bonfire or need to summon an NPC

I killed the Knight in Darkroot as well...I went from Blighttown to Darkroot Garden to Basin to where I am now at Sen's Fortress...earlier I was able to clear all areas but now I'm running into some powerful enemies which I have to leave for later...in Sen's there were actually 4 Titanite demons in one area...killed the 2 that were by themselves but 2 of them together was too much...plus they seemed to be taking less damage for some reason

You can blast one of those with arrows, if you wanted to cheese. Sen's is basically the halfway point, so it does get harder.

Last edited:
Sen's is frustrating...way too many traps and enemies positioning themselves right behind or above the traps...I went back to the merchant in the Depths and loaded up on poison arrows and large arrows so hopefully that will help

You can blast one of those with arrows, if you wanted to cheese. Sen's is basically the halfway point, so it does get harder.

Not with the DLC, I'd say completing Anor Londo is the halfway point.

Try not to cheese too much, beating the challenges the game presents you legitimately ultimately leads to a much more satisfying experience :)

Yes, the new areas look just as good, if not better, than the rest of the game and the bosses are quite difficult. Doesn't feel tacked on at all.

It's about 5 hours long, give or take an hour depending on your SL.

Poison arrows can be kinda cheese, it's true. You're going to want to be in practice for late game bosses, it seems.

ah crap!...I was inches away from the bonfire at Sen's Fortress when a flaming boulder killed me...so frustrating...I thought a glowing soul was the bonfire so I relaxed and thought I was safe...now I gotta make it through again

I gave the blacksmith in the undead parish the moonlight ember thing, from that butterfly. and nothing happened was he supposed to do something.?

I gave the blacksmith in the undead parish the moonlight ember thing, from that butterfly. and nothing happened was he supposed to do something.?

There isn't a 'moonlight ember'. There is the moonlight butterfly soul which can be used to craft the crystal ring shield or the Moonlight Butterfly Horn, but those are not made by the blacksmith under the parish.

It's possible you may be thinking of another ember. If so, you just give it to him so he can make better stuff for you. Embers need to be given to blacksmiths in order for them to ascend weapons further, and different blacksmiths have different specializations so you will need to find which ember goes to which blacksmith. Once you give them the ember, you should notice they now have more weapon upgrade options. See here.

Ascends a +10 spear to a unique spear or a +10 shield to a unique shield. May work with rapiers too.

Back