Dark Souls is on Steam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j7eFaKCYWfA#!

cool, thanks...so I can access it now...wonder if it's best to save it until I finish the game or go ahead and play now

after finally beating Ornstein and Smough I went to tie up some loose ends in the game which I had to leave earlier without finishing...went back to Undead Asylum and killed the Stray Demon, went back to Sen's and killed the 2 remaining Titanite Demon's in the lower level (crossbow made them easy), also killed the titanite demon in Anor Londo in that small room next to the boss fight...Quelaag's Furysword +4 is my new favorite go-to weapon...the Lightning Spear +3 is a close second

now I'm on to New Londo Ruins

When you beat the game, you move on to NG+. You'll want to take care of the DLC stuff before that point. You still have quite a bit of time, however.

I'm thinking GOTY at this point. There are a few frustrating spots every once in a while, but when you beat them it feels great. I took my time quite a bit and am really liking the Black Knight Sword +5 and Lightning Spear +5. I ended up leveling Ricard's Rapier to +10 for massive combo damage in certain situations, too. I haven't dumped too much into strength as I'm working with a few weapons that scale well with dexterity. Seemed helpful to get my Pyromancy Flame to +15 and keep up a Great Combustion/Fire Surge combo.

Sorry guys, haven't been following this thread but...WHats the consensus on this one? Bad port? Good port? Framerate locked? GWFL? Res locked?

yeah its fps locked to 30, bad controls, low resolution etc etc... really sloppy port...

It needs to be locked to 30fps. Try it without and Speedy Gonzales will tell you why.

Otherwise, all of the issues have been fixed by modders and tweaks.

Sorry guys, haven't been following this thread but...WHats the consensus on this one? Bad port? Good port? Framerate locked? GWFL? Res locked?

General consensus is it's a shitty port, but is stable and Durante's mod allows resolution changes and some other graphic effects.

The game itself is considered to be a GOTY contender.

I'm thinking GOTY at this point. There are a few frustrating spots every once in a while, but when you beat them it feels great. I took my time quite a bit and am really liking the Black Knight Sword +5 and Lightning Spear +5. I ended up leveling Ricard's Rapier to +10 for massive combo damage in certain situations, too. I haven't dumped too much into strength as I'm working with a few weapons that scale well with dexterity. Seemed helpful to get my Pyromancy Flame to +15 and keep up a Great Combustion/Fire Surge combo.

I upgraded my Pyromancy Flame to +10 but I barely ever use it...I don't like its limited range and small number of uses per spell (for the powerful ones anyhow)...I recently forged the Greatsword of Artorias because I read that I would be needing a Divine weapon for the Catacombs...but I discovered that I havn't reached the stat requirements to wield it as you need high Intelligence and Faith skills...I never bothered building those up and I don't think it's worth it to start investing in them now just to wield that 1 weapon

I looked in my inventory and I can have my Occult Club forged into a Divine Club and my Spider Shield forged into a Divine Shield at the blacksmith so I think I'm going to do that

for anyone farming souls make sure to wear the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring as it increases item drops/discovery significantly

I upgraded my Pyromancy Flame to +10 but I barely ever use it...I don't like its limited range and small number of uses per spell (for the powerful ones anyhow)...I recently forged the Greatsword of Artorias because I read that I would be needing a Divine weapon for the Catacombs...but I discovered that I havn't reached the stat requirements to wield it as you need high Intelligence and Faith skills...I never bothered building those up and I don't think it's worth it to start investing in them now just to wield that 1 weapon

I looked in my inventory and I can have my Occult Club forged into a Divine Club and my Spider Shield forged into a Divine Shield at the blacksmith so I think I'm going to do that

for anyone farming souls make sure to wear the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring as it increases item drops/discovery significantly

You're missing out. Pyromancy is really powerful and doesn't need int/faith to scale. It has made many fights much easier. Fire Surge can be cast while moving (OP?), and Great Combustion is a very fast cast high damage spell. It can by cast up or down depending on the orientation of your target as well. Took Sif out easiy with it.

Wouldn't making the Spider Shield divine stop stability scaling? The only good use for it would be for shield bashing at that point. I wouldn't convert your Occult Club either. Occult scales better than divine with faith.

I'd make a Reinforced Club into your divine weapon due to moveset and overall damage. Plus bleed.

Interesting, I was looking for a new game but passed on this due to the exceptionally crappy graphics. You guys may change my mind.

You're missing out. Pyromancy is really powerful and doesn't need int/faith to scale. It has made many fights much easier. Fire Surge can be cast while moving (OP?), and Great Combustion is a very fast cast high damage spell. It can by cast up or down depending on the orientation of your target as well. Took Sif out easiy with it.

Wouldn't making the Spider Shield divine stop stability scaling? The only good use for it would be for shield bashing at that point. I wouldn't convert your Occult Club either. Occult scales better than divine with faith.

I'd make a Reinforced Club into your divine weapon due to moveset and overall damage. Plus bleed.

I havn't been paying as much attention to the scaling aspect as I should...I just did a quick Google search and think I understand it better now...I usually only upgraded 2-3 core skills as I leveled up but I think upgrading based on your weapon stats is something I need to do more of going forward...it really can make a huge impact on AR

Last edited:
Think of it like this*:

Standard Weapons
-Scales with Dex-

-spears
-daggers
-curved swords
-rapiers
-katanas
-whips
-bows

-Scales with Str-

-everything else

Enhanced Weapons
-Scales with Faith-

-divine weapons
-occult weapons
-talismans
-a couple uniques

-Scales with Int-

-magic weapons
-catalysts
-a couple uniques

-Scales with Humanity-

-chaos weapons

*this is just a general outline, some weapons will scale with other attributes and even multiple attributes.

Last edited:
Scaling is especially important late game and NG+.

Fire and Lightning do not scale with any stat and they are still pretty dang strong even after the nerf they took on console. It's entirely possible to crank the heck out of survival stats and use an elemental weapon.

Fire and Lightning do not scale with any stat and they are still pretty dang strong even after the nerf they took on console. It's entirely possible to crank the heck out of survival stats and use an elemental weapon.

Oops, you're right.

isn't scaling more important in PvP versus the single player campaign...my Quelaag's Furysword +5 and Lightning Spear +5 seem to work fine for most enemies (if not all) up to this point...scaling will definitely improve weapon damage but I don't know if it's really necessary to complete the SP as long as you have some decent weapons

I just finished New Londo Ruins and defeated the 4 Kings...definitely not as challenging as I thought they were going to be based on the hype...lots of people claim they are the most difficult or 2nd most difficult boss in the game...they were actually pretty easy...all I did was stay close to them, 2 hand my best weapon, equipped my best armor and hammer away...took a few tries but they definitely were not in the same class as Ornstein and Smough or even the Capra Demon

I just finished New Londo Ruins and defeated the 4 Kings...definitely not as challenging as I thought they were going to be based on the hype...lots of people claim they are the most difficult or 2nd most difficult boss in the game...they were actually pretty easy...all I did was stay close to them, 2 hand my best weapon, equipped my best armor and hammer away...took a few tries but they definitely were not in the same class as Ornstein and Smough or even the Capra Demon

Because that's exactly what you need to do to beat them.

Most people play it overly safe (like with all bosses) and kill them too slow or don't know they do less damage up close.

I believe Quelaag's Furysword's physical damage portion scales very well with dex.

The point I was making is that you do not get brand new items that have better stats when you enter NG+, so you'll want to watch what will scale with the stats you are pumping. It's not such a big deal on a single playthrough, but you'll start paying attention to it later on. PvP is definitely where you would want to pay attention the most, like you said.

don't know why 'Iron Flesh' is considered pyromancy...makes more sense for it to be sorcery

I believe Quelaag's Furysword's physical damage portion scales very well with dex.

The point I was making is that you do not get brand new items that have better stats when you enter NG+, so you'll want to watch what will scale with the stats you are pumping. It's not such a big deal on a single playthrough, but you'll start paying attention to it later on. PvP is definitely where you would want to pay attention the most, like you said.

Q's sword also scales well with humanity since it's a chaos weapon

God damn painted world. I love the souls you can get there, but figuring out how to get out caused me some trouble. My first order of business when I log back in is to kill the boss. Pretty cool level, actually.

done with Gravelord Nito and the Tomb of Giants...challenging level due to the pitch black darkness forcing you to carry a light source (I used the Skull Lantern dropped from an enemy)...those Skeleton dog beasts were annoying...I think I'm going to do the Artorias of the Abyss DLC part now...then I'll head out to Demon Ruins

rescuing the Firelink Shrine Firekeeper using the black orb was worth it due to the bonus Estus flask upgrade (20)

I think I'm going to do the Artorias of the Abyss DLC part now...

I forgot that I need to obtain a pendant from Duke's Archive's before getting access to the DLC so I'll continue on the main game for now until I finish the Archives section...on to Demon Ruins!

not sure if it's a glitch but there's an easy way to kill boss Ceaseless Discharge by luring him to the fog gate and attacking his hand when he leaps down...all it takes is 3-4 shots and he's done...he would have been a challenge if not for the exploit/glitch

not sure if it's a glitch but there's an easy way to kill boss Ceaseless Discharge by luring him to the fog gate and attacking his hand when he leaps down...all it takes is 3-4 shots and he's done...he would have been a challenge if not for the exploit/glitch

Not a glitch. They built in different ways to defeat some of the bosses.

Not a glitch. They built in different ways to defeat some of the bosses.

that seemed a bit too easy though...the bosses all have patterns/weaknesses etc but none that I know of can be beaten with a few shots like that...not complaining though :D

That gold hemmed set by Ceaseless Discharge is pretty awesome. Massive fire and poison resists.

done with Demon Ruins...of the 3 bosses there only Centipede Demon posed any real challenge...went back to Firelink and saw some NPC's hidden away that I didn't see before...one guy was under the Aqueduct and hard to spot...bought Smough's armor from him which looks ugly but is a tank

before starting Lost Izalith I went back and defeated Havel in Undead Burg...I remember when I first started the game and stumbled on him using my Master Key how difficult I thought he was...now he was an easy kill...love the progression in this game and how you really grow more powerful with each passing area

I want this game so badly. But i dont have a controller for my Computer and it seems it is highly recommended to have one.

I want this game so badly. But i dont have a controller for my Computer and it seems it is highly recommended to have one.

I've been playing it fine with KB/M...just takes some creative remapping and some time to feel comfortable with the layout...once you do it feels normal and no advantage to playing with a controller

that seemed a bit too easy though...the bosses all have patterns/weaknesses etc but none that I know of can be beaten with a few shots like that...not complaining though :D

Taurus Demon and Iron Golem can kill themselves by leaping off their respective platforms if you position yourself correctly.

I think Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith are my favorite levels in the game thus far...Bed of Chaos could have (should have?) been much more difficult if the developers didn't save our progress...I don't know why they chose this 1 and only boss fight to allow progress to be saved...sort of cheapened the fight by not having to repeat the entire battle after dying and made things very easy (once you know what to do)

Last edited:
Bed of Chaos is a callback to Demon's Souls where the "final" boss of each area was more of a puzzle than a fight.

Although the best of these was the area boss of world 3... an actual player. If you were in human form during this level you could get pulled in to become the boss for another player's game. It was awesome and I was sad they didn't do something similar for Dark Souls.

Although the best of these was the area boss of world 3... an actual player. If you were in human form during this level you could get pulled in to become the boss for another player's game. It was awesome and I was sad they didn't do something similar for Dark Souls.

that sounds really cool...although if the player who becomes boss sucks then not so much...still a very nice concept

pg82K.jpg

Back