Dark Souls is on Steam

Not have a "Press Start" message at the beginning for one. Actually made for PC controls, and not a game where they pretty much tell you to get a controller. Being able to rebind keys would be nice... being able to scale graphic setting would be good as well.

OMG not press start! Having a game say press start is such a horrible thing that ruins it completely! Christ people get over the stupid "press start" thing. It is such a non-issue. Made for PC controls? A game like Dark Souls will always be better with a controller. There are some games where a controller is superior to the mouse and keyboard and it has more to do with the game than the controls. I do expect the keyboard and mouse to be, at the very least, serviceable but nowhere near as good as using a controller. I'm expecting basic graphics options, if they provide a detailed options menu I will be very surprised. As far as being a "ZOMG" amazing port I'm really not expecting that at all and I don't think anyone should. I'm willing to support this one though because they were willing to listen to fans and do something they were never planning to do before. They're willing to take a little risk on us so I'm willing to do the same and take a little risk by buying the game on release. Now if they make any PC games after this one my tune my change completely.

The point of releasing it on PC is that you don't need to buy an Xbox 360 or PS3. Also higher resolutions is probably a given (but hopefully not frame rate lock). Gamepads for playing on PC is already a given in so many games these days because of porting. We wouldn't even get those games otherwise. There is also the opportunity for hacking and modding. My Demon's Souls on PS3 is already modded with some hex editing cheats (single player only of course) and it makes it an easier game for those of us without the luxury of free time to spend the disciplined hours honing skills and farming souls.

The official announcement that multiplayer communication requires a headset/mic pretty much cements the idea that any in-depth keyboard support was will be in the game. Those that are saying that you can CTRL-TAB and Steam chat are forgetting that blue/black phantoms in the game are random players and you can't play directly with friends that you could steam chat with. I doubt they would rewrite that mechanic for PC but we'll see.

It's not so much the fault of porting. The PC has been getting games we never had before from genres that traditionally did poorly on the platform. It would take huge and expensive changes to the very core design of most of these action games to make them perfect for kb+m and quite frankly we are too small of a market to make back the cost of that kind of stuff assuming it would even be possible without changing the game completely. I look at it the same way as I do flight sims or racing sims. A keyboard and mouse work but you really want a good flight stick or wheel to play them well.

I don't see them changing that either since it's a big part of how they wanted the multiplayer to work. Don't forget, you can't pause either so CTRL-TABing anywhere but a fireplace is a pretty bad idea.

they said that Arkham Asylum and Arkham City played better with a gamepad as well but I found it perfectly fine with my K/M setup...fine meaning I was really good with combo moves as well...so just because a game states that a gamepad is preferred is not usually the case for me...the only games where I 'have to' use a gamepad for better performance are racing games

I'm hoping Dark Souls is the same as Arkham City for me...make it customizable enough where I can change function keys and hopefully use 4-5 mouse keys as well

they said that Arkham Asylum and Arkham City played better with a gamepad as well but I found it perfectly fine with my K/M setup...fine meaning I was really good with combo moves as well...so just because a game states that a gamepad is preferred is not usually the case for me...the only games where I 'have to' use a gamepad for better performance are racing games

I'm hoping Dark Souls is the same as Arkham City for me...make it customizable enough where I can change function keys and hopefully use 4-5 mouse keys as well

I used to play AA with a keyboard and mouse then I started using a controller so I could lean back in my chair and I noticed I was better with a controller and stuck with it.

If they don't an easy to play with .ini file would be nice as well. I'm not fond of the idea of using ini files to fix problems the developers could have easily done themselves but having the option is nice.

Yeah, the difference is that if you are a little bit off in Dark Souls you will die. :p

From Software "having a tough time" porting Dark Souls to PC, frame rate issues remain

Dark Souls developer From Software is having a torrid time getting its beloved action RPG up and running on PC and has confirmed it isn't including any optimisations for desktop gamers...Producer Daisuke Uchiyama told Eurogamer that it had underestimated how tough it would be to port the game across.

"To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-dark-souls-to-pc-frame-rate-issues-remain

wow...love their honesty...but this doesn't sound good at all

Dark Souls developer From Software is having a torrid time

tor·rid  adjective
1. subject to parching or burning heat, especially of the sun, as a geographical area: the torrid sands of the Sahara.
2. oppressively hot, parching, or burning, as climate, weather, or air.
3. ardent; passionate: a torrid love story.

Maybe if they spent more time coding rather than humping, they wouldn't be having such problems.

Edit: And the irony of the same community that crucified as "consolitis" Crysis 2 over a "Press Start" message, and BF3 over a dev statement that towards the end of development they were shifting more resources to the console development, now drooling over a console port that is admittedly cutting corners, is too much.

Edit: And the irony of the same community that crucified as "consolitis" Crysis 2 over a "Press Start" message, and BF3 over a dev statement that towards the end of development they were shifting more resources to the console development, now drooling over a console port that is admittedly cutting corners, is too much.

I think it more comes from the idea that games like CoD and Crysis were PC exclusives that went for console game design and audience later on, where this came from completely console origins and was a game we likely never would have gotten. I guess a lot of the backlash against the CoD/BF/Crysis devs was due to a sense of betrayal, wheras these guys are giving PC a chance.

Some of this also stems from the fact that they didn't pull punches even on the console, the quality being higher than what most aRPG fans are used to these days.

I hope they pull it off properly. People will not buy it if it is poorly done.

I thought they announced the release date a bit early for it being their first port...

I thought they announced the release date a bit early for it being their first port...

From didn't announce the release date, NamcoBandai did. NB gave them a set amount of time and money to get it done.

At this point making that comparison is like beating a head horse it has been discussed to death, there is nothing new to say on the subject. That said I think my reaction early to someone bringing up "press start" covers my thoughts on that well enough.

From Software "having a tough time" porting Dark Souls to PC, frame rate issues remain

Dark Souls developer From Software is having a torrid time getting its beloved action RPG up and running on PC and has confirmed it isn't including any optimisations for desktop gamers...Producer Daisuke Uchiyama told Eurogamer that it had underestimated how tough it would be to port the game across.

"To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-dark-souls-to-pc-frame-rate-issues-remain

To be honest I'd rather them not focus on the new content at the expense of other things. Develop the new content for all platforms later and release it as DLC. Huge frame rate issues are not acceptable on the PC.

I read someone saw this at E3 and the PC game had a 1080p setting. So I wonder if performance is resolution dependent (as it should be) or if the game has frame rate problems no matter what.

I read someone saw this at E3 and the PC game had a 1080p setting. So I wonder if performance is resolution dependent (as it should be) or if the game has frame rate problems no matter what.

It's locked at 30FPS so I'm kind of hoping that helps some of the problems. I also wonder what kind of systems they have in their offices to test the game on. For some reason I don't think they have a bunch of high end gaming computers around there.

There is a good reason why some devs outsource their porting I guess.

Not a big fan of the part when they mention they will not be fixing the framerate issues since their priority is to meet their deadline. It's starting to sound even more disappointing. I'm wondering if Namco Bandai will allow them to patch the game post launch if necessary.

It's locked at 30FPS so I'm kind of hoping that helps some of the problems. I also wonder what kind of systems they have in their offices to test the game on. For some reason I don't think they have a bunch of high end gaming computers around there.

Most people don't have a high end gaming computer. They either have a laptop or a 5-6 year old desktop. So there isn't really much point testing a game on a tri-sli GTX 680 system, as that would be unrealistic and would mean the game might not work on the vast majority of systems. So they'd need to primarily test it on a mid range/laptop kind of system and maybe have a high end system for testing higher graphics modes if they see benefit.

I want to cut From Software a lot of slack given the developer's lack of experience, but I am not reading anything positive at all about how this port is going to turn out. The best case scenario seems to be that it loads up and is playable.

One can only hope that they'll release a patch or twenty to solve issues that we're surely going to face. Hopefully they can do it in a timely manner, while keeping us updated even if it's "Yeah, we have no idea how we're going to fix this, but we are trying." type answers will be suffice. At least we, the gamers, will know they're trying to cater to us.

I'll probably end up buying this within' the first week. Most likely Day 1. Even if it's got problems, I'm willin' to report them to Form Software so they can get it fixed.

OMG not press start! Having a game say press start is such a horrible thing that ruins it completely! Christ people get over the stupid "press start" thing. It is such a non-issue. Made for PC controls? A game like Dark Souls will always be better with a controller. There are some games where a controller is superior to the mouse and keyboard and it has more to do with the game than the controls. I do expect the keyboard and mouse to be, at the very least, serviceable but nowhere near as good as using a controller. I'm expecting basic graphics options, if they provide a detailed options menu I will be very surprised.

OMG, being too lazy to change a bit of fucking text! THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY REALLY DEDICATED TO ACTUALLY MAKING IT WORK FOR THE PC!! See? I can overreact too. Stupid people who can't see that that is a very possible sign of poor attempts to port properly should really rethink about it long and hard.

Yes Made for PC controls. It's being ported to the PC, it should have controls designed around the PC's input hardware. A game will be better at whatever type of input hardware if there was some thought put into it to make it work.

It's the first time they've ever had a chance to develop/port a game to the PC. Give them a break and maybe give some constructive criticism. Though I am pretty sure changing "press start" is the least of their concern with porting the game right now.

It's a lot of the little things that count. Press Start, and other little things being solved would probably help them greatly. If people do get the game, and they notice little inconsistencies like that, it'll ultimately wear down on them.

I for one, would not like this game to fail because it was ported badly. The suggestions listed were constructive imo. Controls play a major role in a game's success. More so for people who play computer games I'd think. And graphic control would be a big plus in anyone's list.

But... it's not like it matters if you give them ideas here, I doubt they read this forum. :rolleyes:

OMG, being too lazy to change a bit of fucking text! THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY REALLY DEDICATED TO ACTUALLY MAKING IT WORK FOR THE PC!! See? I can overreact too. Stupid people who can't see that that is a very possible sign of poor attempts to port properly should really rethink about it long and hard.

Yes Made for PC controls. It's being ported to the PC, it should have controls designed around the PC's input hardware. A game will be better at whatever type of input hardware if there was some thought put into it to make it work.

It's a single god damn line of text! God forbid developers focus on things that matter like making the bloody thing work. The press start thing is so freaking stupid!

This really only applies to ports here, but some games are designed specifically around on control method. Whether its a controller or keyboard and mouse. The interface and everything are designed to work with that specific device. In those cases it would require a lot of time and more importantly money to make another control type work since they would need to redesign the UI. Given the tight time and budget constraints From is working on here that simply isn't feasible and quite frankly I don't blame them. We're talking about a version of the game that will probably sell at most a few thousand copies maybe a few tens of thousands. Even if it ends up being a really good port (which I'm doubting at this point) I don't see if breaking 100k.

It just sounds like it will not be better than the console version (other than display resolution), not that it will be worse. Considering it was GOTY material for a lot of RPG players, I can live with that.

It just sounds like it will not be better than the console version (other than display resolution), not that it will be worse. Considering it was GOTY material for a lot of RPG players, I can live with that.

As long as it's not buggy, unsteady framerate and generally a bit crap to play. Personally I was never jumping out of my skin to get it anyway, so I'll stick with my original plan of waiting for reviews and waiting for the price to drop.

From Software "having a tough time" porting Dark Souls to PC, frame rate issues remain.

Dark Souls developer From Software is having a torrid time getting its beloved action RPG up and running on PC and has confirmed it isn't including any optimisations for desktop gamers.

Producer Daisuke Uchiyama told Eurogamer that it had underestimated how tough it would be to port the game across.

"To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now.

"In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now."

Uchiyama went on to confirm that it hasn't fixed the frame rate problems that had hobbled certain parts of the game on consoles.

"In terms of the frame rate for say, Blighttown, From Software sincerely apologises for that happening [in the console version]," he said.

"In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.

From Software "having a tough time" porting Dark Souls to PC, frame rate issues remain.

Dark Souls developer From Software is having a torrid time getting its beloved action RPG up and running on PC and has confirmed it isn't including any optimisations for desktop gamers.

Producer Daisuke Uchiyama told Eurogamer that it had underestimated how tough it would be to port the game across.

"To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now.

"In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now."

Uchiyama went on to confirm that it hasn't fixed the frame rate problems that had hobbled certain parts of the game on consoles.

"In terms of the frame rate for say, Blighttown, From Software sincerely apologises for that happening [in the console version]," he said.

"In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.

Already posted on the last page.

RPGFan says it will not have framerate issues, even in Blighttown. It seemed like the E3 presentation had a positive reception.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2012/1549.html

Huh. It brings up a lot of questions. Did something change between when the Eurogamer was conducted and now? Was there some kind of translation misunderstanding in the interview? Was the rep lying or unaware of potential issues? This just makes the whole issue more confusing.

Here is what they are showing at E3 by the way: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-dark-souls/731724

Indeed. I don't typically get news from RPGFan, but he says he was promised there would be no framerate issues at E3. It doesn't say who said that, or if they were a dev or a PR person.

I'm hoping for the best, but we shall see. I intended on spending my Fall playing this game.

Indeed. I don't typically get news from RPGFan, but he says he was promised there would be no framerate issues at E3. It doesn't say who said that, or if they were a dev or a PR person.

I'm hoping for the best, but we shall see. I intended on spending my Fall playing this game.

Yeah. For right now it's sitting firmly in my "wait and see" category. I like From Software and believe they've working their asses off to make this as good as they can but I'm concerned.

One can only hope that they'll release a patch or twenty to solve issues that we're surely going to face. Hopefully they can do it in a timely manner, while keeping us updated even if it's "Yeah, we have no idea how we're going to fix this, but we are trying." type answers will be suffice. At least we, the gamers, will know they're trying to cater to us.

I'll probably end up buying this within' the first week. Most likely Day 1. Even if it's got problems, I'm willin' to report them to Form Software so they can get it fixed.

yup I have a feeling this is what will be needed..instead of a Day 1 buy I'm now thinking about waiting until at least 2 patches are released before taking a chance...although with their admitted inexperience with PC ports I'm not even sure if they will be able to fix things post-release...like someone else mentioned, maybe it would have been better if they had outsourced the game

yup I have a feeling this is what will be needed..instead of a Day 1 buy I'm now thinking about waiting until at least 2 patches are released before taking a chance...although with their admitted inexperience with PC ports I'm not even sure if they will be able to fix things post-release...like someone else mentioned, maybe it would have been better if they had outsourced the game

That is assuming Namco will allow them to patch it at all.

Doubtful that I will be getting this. Everything about this port just screams disaster. No ability to alter graphics settings besides maybe resolution, and the developers all but admitting they have no idea what they are doing.

Doubtful that I will be getting this. Everything about this port just screams disaster. No ability to alter graphics settings besides maybe resolution, and the developers all but admitting they have no idea what they are doing.

The E3 build had some graphics settings apparently. Not many but some. Apparently there was an AA setting.

The E3 build had some graphics settings apparently. Not many but some. Apparently there was an AA setting.

Given my PC specs I want to be able to turn the settings down :( but yes that seems more positive, thanks for the update :cool:

isn't GFWL required as well? if so, set sail for fail....

why even bother porting this over to PC if their not going to do it right? obvious cashgrab I guess...

isn't GFWL required as well? if so, set sail for fail....

why even bother porting this over to PC if their not going to do it right? obvious cashgrab I guess...

They're using GFWL because it was the easiest thing for them to do. Creating brand new netcode would be incredibly challenging, time consuming, and expensive. From Software was never given much time or money to do this port and they had to develop new content to go along with it. From has been very honest and open about the port so far, even saying things that have likely cost them sales.

Well as long as it doesn't CTD a bunch who cares. It's supposed to be a great game and I'm actually looking forward to it. I liked Darksiders and nothing screams port harder than it. Darksiders was a really fun game even though it is labeled as a "port".

I've never played a Dark Souls game as I don't really own a console unless you count the original XBOX sitting at my home with a Team Xecuter chip in it.

Back