Dark Souls is on Steam

They're using GFWL because it was the easiest thing for them to do. Creating brand new netcode would be incredibly challenging, time consuming, and expensive. From Software was never given much time or money to do this port and they had to develop new content to go along with it. From has been very honest and open about the port so far, even saying things that have likely cost them sales.

They managed to do it on PS3.. Why do we have to accept this? Just cause they are new to PC world doesn't mean they cant out source some cash and make it acceptable to the PC world. ( every heard the expression. Gotta spend money to make money. ) Eidos did this for Deus Ex and it was a fantastic PC game. Console ports suck plan and simple. And they will not get my $.

They managed to do it on PS3.. Why do we have to accept this? Just cause they are new to PC world doesn't mean they cant out source some cash and make it acceptable to the PC world. ( every heard the expression. Gotta spend money to make money. ) Eidos did this for Deus Ex and it was a fantastic PC game. Console ports suck plan and simple. And they will not get my $.

They have experience with Sony consoles, a lot of experience with them. I'm also willing to bet the PS3 SDK has stuff in it to help create an online backend on the console. There is nothing like that for the PC. Even if they used Steamworks and VAC Valve wouldn't give them any help. They would have to create netcode from the ground up. There simply wasn't time or money for it.

As for outsourcing, yes they could have but it would STILL BE A PORT. You know what HR wasn't a port? Because the PC version was developed in conjunction with the console versions. There was never going to be a PC version of Dark Souls until fans demanded it. You are quite literally asking for something impossible.

They have experience with Sony consoles, a lot of experience with them. I'm also willing to bet the PS3 SDK has stuff in it to help create an online backend on the console. There is nothing like that for the PC. Even if they used Steamworks and VAC Valve wouldn't give them any help. They would have to create netcode from the ground up. There simply wasn't time or money for it.

As for outsourcing, yes they could have but it would STILL BE A PORT. You know what HR wasn't a port? Because the PC version was developed in conjunction with the console versions. There was never going to be a PC version of Dark Souls until fans demanded it. You are quite literally asking for something impossible.

Time or money for it??

Is there a rush? They made a ton of money of the first and second game. I'm not buying some half assed PC port. Almost all games are ports but a port can be done right. See Alan Wake. There is many more I can name.

Time or money for it??

Is there a rush? They made a ton of money of the first and second game. I'm not buying some half assed PC port. Almost all games are ports but a port can be done right. See Alan Wake. There is many more I can name.

Both games were very successful for what they were but that's not the point. From was given x amount of time and x amount of money to do it. Why don't you wait for the game to actually bloody RELEASE before condemning it?

A lot of the netcode for the PS3 version of Dark Souls could have come from its predecessor, Demon's Souls.

Dang, $40 is a bit more than I expected them to charge. I figured $30 tops, considering its by their own admission not going to be a very good PC port. I'll buy it, but not until it's ~$20.

Dang, $40 is a bit more than I expected them to charge. I figured $30 tops, considering its by their own admission not going to be a very good PC port. I'll buy it, but not until it's ~$20.

It includes brand new DLC/content which will cost $15 on console. Considering that, it's a pretty good price.

I dealt with GFWL for things like Batman. I will do so for good games.

While I don't mind it myself, it's funny to see people not care when it is for a console port that they like but bash it when it is there for other games.

what, the petition? It would be extremely short-sighted of Namco not to bring the game over to the PC, given the demand of 70K signatures @ $40 a pop

still a cash-grab nonetheless, with the amount of effort that's gone into the port of the PC version

http://www.1up.com/previews/dark-souls-pc-port-underwhelms

The amount of effort? You mean From Software trying to work their asses off to get it done in the incredibly short amount of time Namco gave them to do it? Especially given that they have NEVER done a PC game before.

what, the petition? It would be extremely short-sighted of Namco not to bring the game over to the PC, given the demand of 70K signatures @ $40 a pop

still a cash-grab nonetheless, with the amount of effort that's gone into the port of the PC version

http://www.1up.com/previews/dark-souls-pc-port-underwhelms

The sad part is that if the game sells well, they are going to put just as little effort into their next PC port.

I won't buy it on Day 1 as I want to read some reviews first...but if things are good then I'm in

While I don't mind it myself, it's funny to see people not care when it is for a console port that they like but bash it when it is there for other games.

Often ports from console end up worse when they hit PC. This doesn't seem that way. It will only be a little bit improved over the console version, which is basically what we asked for.

If you bought Batman AA/AC for PC, you dealt with GFWL. It stinks, but I'm not going to grab a cracked copy or anything.

Often ports from console end up worse when they hit PC.

Actually I think that's quite rare. Unless there's some technical issue like stuttering or bad tearing or some sort of input problem, usually the PC version if nothing else benefits from far higher resolution and smoother performance.

These days usually the worst case scenario for a console to PC port means you're playing with a controller as you would be on console anyway, but with sharper smoother graphics than the console equivalent.

Often ports from console end up worse when they hit PC. This doesn't seem that way. It will only be a little bit improved over the console version, which is basically what we asked for.

If you bought Batman AA/AC for PC, you dealt with GFWL. It stinks, but I'm not going to grab a cracked copy or anything.

The vast majority of console ports are BETTER on the PC. There are very few bad ports these days.

That's probably true. I don't play that many ports these days, not because they are ports, but because I typically stick with hardcore RPG's.

I'm pretty optimistic about this one. Having spent ~5-6 hours combined with Demons Souls and Dark Souls on a friends console, I can say the gameplay is very tight. With how blocking, rolling, running etc work, it will play better with a controller regardless.

I think $40 with the included additional content is worth a preorder.

The vast majority of console ports are BETTER on the PC. There are very few bad ports these days.

I've just given up trying to play Gears of War on the PC because GFWL has wiped my save files for a third time in two days.

I really hope this doesn't happen with Dark Souls, since corrupt saves and save-deleting seems to be common to GFWL.

That's probably true. I don't play that many ports these days, not because they are ports, but because I typically stick with hardcore RPG's.

I'm pretty optimistic about this one. Having spent ~5-6 hours combined with Demons Souls and Dark Souls on a friends console, I can say the gameplay is very tight. With how blocking, rolling, running etc work, it will play better with a controller regardless.

I think $40 with the included additional content is worth a preorder.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope it turns out good and I really want it to but if it doesn't I'll just pick up the 360 version and buy the DLC.

I've just given up trying to play Gears of War on the PC because GFWL has wiped my save files for a third time in two days.

I really hope this doesn't happen with Dark Souls, since corrupt saves and save-deleting seems to be common to GFWL.

Gears was a horrible port. That is actually the only game where I ran into the GFWL deleting saves problem. GFWL really needs cloud saves.

Luckily with Batman AA and AC, I had no savegame issues. Gears was actually a clusterfuck.

Luckily with Batman AA and AC, I had no savegame issues. Gears was actually a clusterfuck.

I had to restart AA many times because you can't transfer saves once you uninstall the game or redo your computer. I was so glad to see the Steam version of AC had cloud saves.

I'm not holding my breath, but there is nothing official stating GFWL will be used in Dark Souls yet. If it is used (likely) I'm hoping for Steam cloud saves as well.

I'm not holding my breath, but there is nothing official stating GFWL will be used in Dark Souls yet. If it is used (likely) I'm hoping for Steam cloud saves as well.

At this point if they were going to change it they would have.

Just to be safe, I'm going to wait for a few reviews before I buy it. Honestly, if they allow customization of controls via mouse buttons and keyboard, then it's a done deal for me. Dead Space on PC is one example where I could find a way to play, but ultimately lack the patience to re-learn a new control system... likely due to the fact I played them on PS3 and just got them on PC to replay.

If I'm stuck with W,A,S,D... not gonna be a purchase unfortunately.

Just to be safe, I'm going to wait for a few reviews before I buy it. Honestly, if they allow customization of controls via mouse buttons and keyboard, then it's a done deal for me. Dead Space on PC is one example where I could find a way to play, but ultimately lack the patience to re-learn a new control system... likely due to the fact I played them on PS3 and just got them on PC to replay.

dead space wasnt just a straight port though was it? if it was it felt pretty good to me on the PC. :D

dark souls is a game that would require some good keyboard and mouse support though. why would i want to use a gamepad on my fucking computer. if i wanted to use a controller id buy a damn ps3

Use a key remapping program? Can make whatever keys WASD just for that game.

For those still hoping the Steam version won't have GFWL, this was added recently to the requirements:

"Additional: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE"

Maybe you can play the game offline without it?

Gears was a horrible port. That is actually the only game where I ran into the GFWL deleting saves problem. GFWL really needs cloud saves.

Let's not forget that to play the game you had to set your SYSTEM DATE back to like 10 years ago otherwise it wouldn't launch (was a big issue...). Horrific. I'd get fired for that shit on the spot.

GFWL is about as bad as Gamespy, which after a while, became incredibly bothersome.

dead space wasnt just a straight port though was it? if it was it felt pretty good to me on the PC. :D

dark souls is a game that would require some good keyboard and mouse support though. why would i want to use a gamepad on my fucking computer. if i wanted to use a controller id buy a damn ps3

Controllers are good for some types of games...
After playing Demon/Dark Souls on PS3, I can't really see how it would going to translate well to keyboard/mouse controls at all.

So a game that hardly uses voice comm, will have only voice comm for communication, while BF3 which requires strategy to be successful, has none.

Back