Dark Souls is on Steam

So it goes without saying every single person that has ever posted in this thread is buying the Remaster?

lol
Not I!

I got tons of mileage out of Dark Souls on PS3 and later, on PC.

If this were a dramatic graphical upgrade Vs. DSfix, I might have bought. But, its not really an visual upgrade. Just some small tweaks, most of which I don't actually like. 60fps is nice. But I've already put in probably 150 hours at 30fps on two different systems.

Not I!

I got tons of mileage out of Dark Souls

As have I friendo. (360 and again on PC)

Alas I have been dreadfully spoilt by 60 FPS the last couple of years, so $20 for a bug-free 60 fps? : fair enough.

Although, after getting Darksiders, Bioshock, and Skyrim remasters for free.... I totally understand why it's a tough pill for some to swallow....

As have I friendo. (360 and again on PC)

Alas I have been dreadfully spoilt by 60 FPS the last couple of years, so $20 for a bug-free 60 fps? : fair enough.

Although, after getting Darksiders, Bioshock, and Skyrim remasters for free.... I totally understand why it's a tough pill for some to swallow....
Many of us got Dark Souls PC for super cheap. I bought a few keys for $2-$5 on steam sales. The price isn't the issue.

I don't need to play the same game again.

I'm actually most interested in the forest area with all the invasions.

Haha I liked to hide behind trees near the cliff (so I knew they wouldn't surprise me from behind). They'd eventually get bored running all around and let their guard down and then I'd sneak behind them and back stab. :ROFLMAO: Good times.

so.... some people are pretty upset that the lighting engine of the remaster makes it look like "bright souls". A lot of the interior areas are somewhat blown out. Others just look strange. A lot of the darkness is gone though. I wonder if that can be fixed

some people are pretty upset that the lighting engine of the remaster makes it look like "bright souls".

You can pick apart a 5 star meal if you're dead-set on finding a flaw....

Let the console ppl complain on Reddit.

We have Reshade and plenty of other ways to manipulate the image..

so.... some people are pretty upset that the lighting engine of the remaster makes it look like "bright souls". A lot of the interior areas are somewhat blown out. Others just look strange. A lot of the darkness is gone though. I wonder if that can be fixed

so much whiny hate for this remaster...the guy in the video sounds like he was ready to hate no matter what...and he's basing his entire opinion on gameplay video of the early levels?...it does look brighter in spots but overall it looks fine to me...

so much whiny hate for this remaster...the guy in the video sounds like he was ready to hate no matter what...and he's basing his entire opinion on gameplay video of the early levels?...it does look brighter in spots but overall it looks fine to me...
Agreed. Everyone is saying Tomb of the Giants will be the real test, and I tend to agree. The upper levels of Blighttown would be good, as well, since there is a lot of contrast. There are some genuine concerns that have been pointed out already, but I'll wait to see it myself. I'm still buying the game again on all 3 platforms regardless.

Agreed. Everyone is saying Tomb of the Giants will be the real test, and I tend to agree. The upper levels of Blighttown would be good, as well, since there is a lot of contrast. There are some genuine concerns that have been pointed out already, but I'll wait to see it myself. I'm still buying the game again on all 3 platforms regardless.

Tomb of the Giants should definitely be a great test as far as if they added too much bloom or color...that area was always pitch black and had great black levels (you really needed a torch or sunlight maggot helmet)...hopefully they did not alter the amazing feeling of being in a truly dark dark area...I'm also curious if they improved the textures in Darkroot Basin and to a lesser degree Crystal Cave as I always thought those 2 places looked horrible-- foliage also looked awful

Digital Foundry- Can Dark Souls Remastered improve on the modded PC original?

Tests suggest a substantial upgrade...what becomes clear pretty quickly is that the new release goes much further...It's not just the shade beneath grass that's changed. Unlike the mod, plants now animate with a gentle sway, and foliage around the Firelink shrine area actually billows in the wind - it's no longer static...With or without mods, there's no way the Prepare to Die edition can match this; it's only by working with the codebase that the remaster is making a step forward...Extra bushes are brought into the scene too, and you can even catch a cloud of smoke swirling around the bonfire...Upgrades may be subtle, but they're beyond the scope of a mod, and the more you look, the more you see how the remastering work makes a genuine difference...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-remastered-improve-on-the-modded-pc-original

I've been saying from the moment I saw the remastered gameplay videos that this is a substantial upgrade...all these people complaining about this being a minor upgrade have no idea what they're talking about or have never spent long playing the game

Ehh, I think saying that the visual improvements are a "substantial" upgrade, is an overstatement. I think the original game looks better in nearly all direct comparisons, so far. And certainly in the overall look.

The only two things which really stick out to me as strictly better improvements, is the added effect when walking through the fog and torches have a nice specular effect on the wall behind them. Nearly all other changes look worse to me or are trivial in their improvement.

Thank goodness the full screen blur effect is toggleable on PC. It makes the game look like vasoline, much of the time. Hopefully for PS4 owners, they add a toggle for them.

However, we have only seen a couple of areas in the game. Its possible that Blight town has added effects which add up to something. and Anor Londo could certainly benefit a lot from new textures and whatnot.-------If they did that.

I think the degree of the "upgrade" depends on what you were hoping for. If you were hoping for Dark Souls 3 graphics or even a huge bump over DSFix, you aren't getting that. If you want a more polished and slightly tweaked version of the original...you're in luck. No more no less. Fans of the old game who dumped hundreds of hours into it will probably notice moving leaves and different lighting, but 75% of players probably won't.
If you look at what Prepare to Die cost at launch and the cost of the remaster, you're still only paying $59. Console players are probably pretty jealous.

Ehh, I think saying that the visual improvements are a "substantial" upgrade, is an overstatement. I think the original game looks better in nearly all direct comparisons, so far. And certainly in the overall look...

did you read the Digital Foundry article?...there are improvements to foliage, volumetric fog, dust particles, lighting, particle effects etc...plus new settings options for AA, depth of field, ambient occlusion...not to mention the addition of 6 player pvp, the ability to change covenants at bonfires, additional bonfire, bug fixes, stable 60 fps etc...if that's not considered 'significant' I don't know what is...plus like I said earlier it's easy to spot the improvements even in YouTube gameplay videos...I have over 1000 hours in the game so I've pretty much memorized the entire game and can easily see the changes...I do admit that the new lighting looks better in certain scenes/locations then others but overall this is a major upgrade

I think the degree of the "upgrade" depends on what you were hoping for. If you were hoping for Dark Souls 3 graphics or even a huge bump over DSFix, you aren't getting that. If you want a more polished and slightly tweaked version of the original...you're in luck. No more no less. Fans of the old game who dumped hundreds of hours into it will probably notice moving leaves and different lighting, but 75% of players probably won't.
If you look at what Prepare to Die cost at launch and the cost of the remaster, you're still only paying $59. Console players are probably pretty jealous.
Dark Souls Remastered is $40 on the consoles just like the PC if you don't own PTDE.

Reminder that Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is being removed from Steam tomorrow

You only have a day to buy the original release of Dark Souls on PC, Prepare to Die Edition, before it gets pulled...as previously announced, Namco is taking Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition off Steam in preparation for the launch of the enhanced Dark Souls Remastered...tomorrow, May 9, Prepare to Die Edition vanishes from the Steam store

Seeing as Prepare to Die Edition is priced $20 on Steam, it may not make much sense to buy it now for the discount later, since that would save you no money compared to paying the $40 at launch

If the Remaster has some odd quirks, there's no downside of grabbing Prepare to Die at $20 right now. Especially because you won't be able to buy it going forward. Anyone who is thinking of grabbing the Remaster should probably go for it just in case. There are tons of mods for the game that might not be possible (at least not initially), too.

So it goes without saying every single person that has ever posted in this thread is buying the Remaster?

lol

It's perfect for me, because I only played the original a little bit as I was late to the game. Then got distracted by the shiny new DS3 :D So, I'll be playing these backwards (or maybe inside out?) so this will be a good opportunity to play a bug-free (hopefully) fast smooth version of the game. I can see why someone who sunk 800 hours into it may not want to jump on a remaster though.

I can see why someone who sunk 800 hours into it may not want to jump on a remaster though.

why?...if anything the people that have sunk a lot of hours into it can clearly see the benefits of the remaster and will be first in line to play it...seems like the people that haven't played it are the ones complaining the loudest

why?...if anything the people that have sunk a lot of hours into it can clearly see the benefits of the remaster and will be first in line to play it...seems like the people that haven't played it are the ones complaining the loudest

I wasn't really saying that people that played the original a lot wouldn't like to play the remaster as well. There seem to be a few types of gamers though. Some like to play something until they're done, then move on. Some like to revisit. I'm a revisit type for sure. I play all of my old favorites more than I play new games a lot of times. I did notice a few posts though in response to horrorhow's post that seemed to side on the "I've already played it enough." Also, I was more trying to illustrate how it's perfect for someone like me, that just didn't quite get into it the way it was. I wanted it wrapped up in a neat little package without having to use a 3rd party hacks as well, and this is that.

This series is very, very, clearly one that presents its fans with a lot of replayability.

Anyone know when they actually plan to start selling the Remaster? Usually Steam has stuff up for pre-sale months in advance.

Summoning a whole posse might make the Bed of Chaos more palatable. Send 1 person left, 1 right, and have one person wait in the middle. With a little luck the fight's over in like 20 seconds.

I hate summoning but I do like that From Software is somewhat trying to prevent people from abusing it by increasing the difficulty of bosses...I might actually try out max summons just to artificially increase the difficulty...Ornstein and Smough, Manus and Four Kings should be brutal with it :D

well, that has always been the case, just here you have access to more summons. you could always go SL1 and melee only with kb/m on NG+6 if you wanted a real challlenge

well, that has always been the case, just here you have access to more summons. you could always go SL1 and melee only with kb/m on NG+6 if you wanted a real challenge

it's always been the case but the remaster allows more summons which adds another level of difficulty which wasn't there before...those SL1 runs never appealed to me...

well, he is looking at exploits and from a multiplayer perspective. I only do SP so I am interested to see how the game will play for SP

Came across this video:

the key sentence in that video- "I expected to be disappointed and I am"...that means he went in trying to prove that his original statement was correct instead of having an open mind...then he says that the remaster is the 'same game with the DSFix texture mod'...only then he goes on to list a ton of changes in the remaster...that video is a guy who already made up his mind long before

the key sentence in that video- "I expected to be disappointed and I am"...that means he went in trying to prove that his original statement was correct instead of having an open mind...then he says that the remaster is the 'same game with the DSFix texture mod'...only then he goes on to list a ton of changes in the remaster...that video is a guy who already made up his mind long before

Also, I've been told that almost every bug present in OG Skyrim is present in every iteration of the game including the re-releases for PS4/XBO and Switch which were 5 and 6 years later. A fact conveniently left out of his rant.

The narrator of the video is approaching it from the perspective that it's essentially the patch that "fixes" the original game 6 years later. From that point of view, I get where he's coming from.
I don't necessarily know if that's completely the case, but looking at it that way, it does seem like something that should be free.

I posted the video here because it's an opinion - sounds like the guy has made up his mind and maybe can't be swayed; I'll wait until it drops to see for myself, that's for sure.

Blighttown Fixed in Dark Souls Remastered! PS4/PS4 Pro Performance Tested

the final release on PS4 and PS4 Pro shows this infamous spot now running fluidly at 60fps...

Back