Dark Souls is on Steam

I've never used parry much in any of the Souls games...only for certain bosses like Champion Gundyr in DS3 do I even attempt it as his wind-up takes forever and it's easy to parry him...other then that the risk is too great and just 1 missed parry can mess you up so I prefer the standard weapon/melee/pyromancy etc...

I might be used to DS2 or DS3, but it feels like drinking Estus takes forever in this game. In the later games drinking in the middle of battle is no big deal. In this one you basically can't.

I might be used to DS2 or DS3, but it feels like drinking Estus takes forever in this game. In the later games drinking in the middle of battle is no big deal. In this one you basically can't.

It is slower because the animation is longer. DS2 animation was really short. In DS3 you can still walk around while chugging.

In DS1 you pretty much have to commit to an action. There's no canceling chugging, parrying, rolling via doing some other action. Once the animation starts, you can't do anything until the animation finishes. That leaves you a juicy target for some of the longer animations, like drinking estus. Better to do it at a safe distance, or else...

That said, you can still double chug, etc. estus by double tapping to get an additional boost for the near cost of a single animation - just like in DS2 and DS3.

if you free Sif in the DLC area before starting the Sif boss fight then you get a different cutscene but is there a way of doing this and still side with Kaathe?...I want to side with Darkstalker Kaathe but there's no way of entering the DLC area unless you get the item from Duke's Archives which is locked until you place the Lordvessel...but there's no way I can see to place the Lordvessel and side with Kaathe before completeting Four Kings (which requires defeating Sif first)...hope that all makes sense...is there a way of siding with Kaathe and getting the alternate Sif cutscene?

In NG+ if you are already a member of the dark covenant that will remain the case. So join normally in NG and see the cutscene in NG+

Anyway I pissed off the forgiver, what is a few smacks amongst friends? This version is not very forgiving of that. Better not make any other mistakes.

....And I just smacked andre. It is the GD exit buttons which map to heavy attack on the mouse. Fuck. Start over. :/

....And I just smacked andre. It is the GD exit buttons which map to heavy attack on the mouse. Fuck. Start over. :/

I remapped a bunch of keys so I didn't have this issue...it's why everyone should remap keys and not settle for default controls (in all games)

Now that I've re-adjusted to this game (mainly related to the estus timing), I've been doing really well. It's hard not to go ham on some bosses, but if you're patient and willing to stay at a certain range they aren't that bad. I've been tackling them earlier than I probably should and the fights are taking a while...but I'm winning.

So far my only screw up relates to the first pyromancer. I ended up saying "yes" to the wrong question and he went hostile on me in Blighttown. Luckily I bought all of his spells so I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things. I'm in Sen's right now. I almost forgot what a pain in the ass traveling is before you can warm around to the various bonfires. Every time I forget something it's a pretty long trek from one side of the map to the other.

Last night I had a Red Vagrant drop down right next to me while working my way up from the bottom of The Great Hollow. As I started up the mushroom stairs it dropped right beside me. It took me a couple of seconds, after being in complete awe of its presence, to register that this thing can one-shot me with its ranged attack. So I came to my senses and squashed it like a bug.

This is only my second Vagrant encounter in 300 hours of Dark Souls. The previous Vagrant encounter was a White Vagrant (years ago) in New Londo ruins right before the entrance to Four Kings. That sneaky bastard tried to ninja me in the dark. I squashed it too.

the updated graphics really shine during the Ornstein and Smough boss fight...after defeating Ornsteain and fighting Super Smough in phase 2 you can really see the improved lighting in Smough's lightning hammer...looks really nice now and almost has an HDR-like quality

So, I bought the OG Darksouls on PC.

I could never get it running. Tried two different PCs, Tried DSFix, Tried experimental patches in steam... could create a character and then the game wouldn't load.

So I'm wondering. Is it worth purchasing the HD edition (with a discount because I own the OG) to play this? Should I give more money to the developer, or am I best just cutting my losses?

Last night I had a Red Vagrant drop down right next to me while working my way up from the bottom of The Great Hollow. As I started up the mushroom stairs it dropped right beside me. It took me a couple of seconds, after being in complete awe of its presence, to register that this thing can one-shot me with its ranged attack. So I came to my senses and squashed it like a bug.

This is only my second Vagrant encounter in 300 hours of Dark Souls. The previous Vagrant encounter was a White Vagrant (years ago) in New Londo ruins right before the entrance to Four Kings. That sneaky bastard tried to ninja me in the dark. I squashed it too.

I killed a white one yesterday. Only my 2nd time ever, too. It was wandering around in the corridor after the Gaping Dragon. No clue what kind of attacks they do or don't have, but two consecutive F+R2 smashes with the Zweihander and it was toast. The previous time I ran into one I got killed by a random other enemy when I was watching it approach.

I just made it to the Painted World a few minutes ago. It definitely really neat looking with the additional lighting effects. I was 2/3 of the way up the infamous bow-knight buttress before remembering that I hadn't been there yet.

So far I've probably had more random deaths than legit ones vs. bosses and such. Sen's surprisingly caused me a few dumb deaths, but the demons in the tar pit weren't bad. I think my experience with the later DS games has helped me a bit with boss spacing.

I could never get it running. Tried two different PCs, Tried DSFix, Tried experimental patches in steam... could create a character and then the game wouldn't load.

So I'm wondering. Is it worth purchasing the HD edition (with a discount because I own the OG) to play this? Should I give more money to the developer, or am I best just cutting my losses?

if you have played any of the other games or blood borne... then you will know the answer is yes. the first one is probably the best.

I could never get it running. Tried two different PCs, Tried DSFix, Tried experimental patches in steam... could create a character and then the game wouldn't load

that's an interesting call...if the first game wouldn't load for you then the remastered edition is basically the same game with updated textures and some quality of life improvements...if you're using the same PC then it all depends on if you think $20 is worth spending to test it

that's an interesting call...if the first game wouldn't load for you then the remastered edition is basically the same game with updated textures and some quality of life improvements...if you're using the same PC then it all depends on if you think $20 is worth spending to test it

So they haven't improved the actual coding at all? I was hoping there was some underlying engine/programming updates that makes this more updated than the previous version.

Nobody can say for certain exactly what changes were made. To me it seems like the game is running on the current game engine. If you are able to run DS2 or DS3 I would think you should be able to run this. It does not have the 30 fps restrictions of the first game nor the slowdown issues for some areas.

Anyone having issue with resolution above 4K in remastered? the screen is pretty glitched when I ran in 5K resolution, but 4K is fine.

Is it just me, or is the Stray Demon a lot easier now? I was able to take it down very easily at SL15. I just wanted to get the Rusted Iron Ring before going to Blighttown, but figured I'd kill Stray Demon while I was there. It seems like its HP pool was greatly reduced.
Now that I've re-adjusted to this game (mainly related to the estus timing), I've been doing really well. It's hard not to go ham on some bosses, but if you're patient and willing to stay at a certain range they aren't that bad. I've been tackling them earlier than I probably should and the fights are taking a while...but I'm winning.

So far my only screw up relates to the first pyromancer. I ended up saying "yes" to the wrong question and he went hostile on me in Blighttown. Luckily I bought all of his spells so I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things. I'm in Sen's right now. I almost forgot what a pain in the ass traveling is before you can warm around to the various bonfires. Every time I forget something it's a pretty long trek from one side of the map to the other.
Just imagine when the game first came out and you could only warp around to the Firekeeper bonfires.

I ran into one in New Londo just recently. It was only my second time ever seeing one after putting around 600-700 hours into the game, myself. The first time I saw one was in the Demon Ruins where all the Lesser Taurus Demons are congregated. I've never seen any of the weaker white ones.

Nobody can say for certain exactly what changes were made. To me it seems like the game is running on the current game engine. If you are able to run DS2 or DS3 I would think you should be able to run this. It does not have the 30 fps restrictions of the first game nor the slowdown issues for some areas.

I'd be pretty surprised if the game wasn't VERY close to the Prepare to Die Edition under the hood. There's no reason to re-invent the wheel when most of your assets are there and working fine.

Is it just me, or is the Stray Demon a lot easier now? I was able to take it down very easily at SL15. I just wanted to get the Rusted Iron Ring before going to Blighttown, but figured I'd kill Stray Demon while I was there. It seems like its HP pool was greatly reduced.

are you using a bleed weapon? did you use a bleed weapon the first time? They all are vulnerable to bleed. As long as you can avoid the magic blasts they are fairly easy to kill

example:

Stray Demon has always been easy for me...just stay behind him and his AOE blast move will have little to no effect...I just wrapped up Manus...amazing boss...I died a few times to his magic attacks (mainly the front blast Dark Wave) as he launches it so quickly...good thing for that silver pendant otherwise he would have been brutal

I forgot how much magic/pyromancy feel overpowered in this game compared to the sequels (especially in pvp)...the magic spells launch so fast

I also killed the Stray Demon pretty early. It was one of those fights that took a while (I used the stock Drake Sword), but I won on the 2nd try and barely took any damage. If you can get behind him, you can do a F+R2 attack and he'll keep trying to do that move where he smashes the ground for an AOE blast. Just back off, punish it with F+R2, and repeat. It took 5-6 minutes that way, but it was easier than most everything else up to that point.

are you using a bleed weapon? did you use a bleed weapon the first time? They all are vulnerable to bleed. As long as you can avoid the magic blasts they are fairly easy to kill

example:

No, I was still using the Drake Sword at that point like I usually do. By easier to beat, I mean how fast it went down.

I just did it again on a new character and I think I know what it is. It has a lot lower physical defense than originally, so if you're not paying attention to the numbers it seems like its HP pool is smaller. Some other bosses seem to be the same way; O&S seemed especially quick to go down, along with Nito. Others still seem to take the same amount of time; Seath in particular, but his AI didn't seem as aggressive as originally. I felt the same with Priscilla and Centipede Demon.

No, I was still using the Drake Sword at that point like I usually do. By easier to beat, I mean how fast it went down.

I just did it again on a new character and I think I know what it is. It has a lot lower physical defense than originally, so if you're not paying attention to the numbers it seems like its HP pool is smaller. Some other bosses seem to be the same way; O&S seemed especially quick to go down, along with Nito. Others still seem to take the same amount of time; Seath in particular, but his AI didn't seem as aggressive as originally. I felt the same with Priscilla and Centipede Demon.

did they really change the boss numbers?...might be just a placebo...after playing the game a lot you just get better at it and learn the tactics and movesets so it becomes natural to defeat enemies quicker...oh, and get rid of the Drake sword- it's for newbs :D

did they really change the boss numbers?...might be just a placebo...after playing the game a lot you just get better at it and learn the tactics and movesets so it becomes natural to defeat enemies quicker...oh, and get rid of the Drake sword- it's for newbs :D
It may be a placebo. I compared the damage numbers and they're the same, both per hit and total to kill Stray Demon.

Nothing else does as much damage that early in the game unless you go out of your way and/or farm upgrade materials. I know you could go down into New Londo to get a Jagged Ghost Blade to make the Stray Demon fight really easy, but I actually like doing what I believe is the intended route.

I'll probably have all the Xbox One achievements tonight.

Does anyone else get a nasty stutter periodically? Like every minute or two, I get a bad hiccup. It's not even like it's streaming parts of the map or something because it can happen during a long boss fight multiple times (where you're in a smallish locked area.) INSANELY frustrating when it happens in the middle of a fight.

Does anyone else get a nasty stutter periodically? Like every minute or two, I get a bad hiccup. It's not even like it's streaming parts of the map or something because it can happen during a long boss fight multiple times (where you're in a smallish locked area.) INSANELY frustrating when it happens in the middle of a fight.

Yes, on the PC it stutters quite often. On the PS4, everything runs fine.

And in other news, one thing I love about this game is even years later, you learn something new. Apparently, Ricard in Sen's Fortress, there's a s safe spot on the steps leading up to him when his arrows go over your head, but you can return fire just fine. It saved me from an exceedingly annoying fight.

I'll probably have all the Xbox One achievements tonight.

to get some of the achievements requires multiple playthroughs which I always found annoying...buying all the spells/pyromancy etc also requires leveling up in multiple covenants

yeah that happens to me as well...seems to be more frequent the further into the game I got...

to get some of the achievements requires multiple playthroughs which I always found annoying...buying all the spells/pyromancy etc also requires leveling up in multiple covenants

yeah that happens to me as well...seems to be more frequent the further into the game I got...
Only one I found annoying is the one for rare weapons, since you need 3 Souls of Sif and the Channelers always seem to never want to give up their Trident. Red Titanite Slabs are also a pain to farm, so I just do two playthroughs to get the loose one in the chest at the bottom of Lost Izalith.

No performance issues at all on the Xbox One X version.

Only one I found annoying is the one for rare weapons, since you need 3 Souls of Sif and the Channelers always seem to never want to give up their Trident. Red Titanite Slabs are also a pain to farm, so I just do two playthroughs to get the loose one in the chest at the bottom of Lost Izalith

you can get a 2nd red titanite slab by trading with Snuggly...but you need to upgrade your Pyromancy flame first to Ascended (which I never even knew existed until this remaster...I'm still finding out new things about the game :D )

you can get a 2nd red titanite slab by trading with Snuggly...but you need to upgrade your Pyromancy flame first to Ascended (which I never even knew existed until this remaster...I'm still finding out new things about the game :D )
Which costs like 150k souls to ascend. Plus, as a Pyromancer you don't get a second one until NG+ anyway. Hard to part with it when you use it all the time.

I just found out you can trade the Xanthous Crown with Snuggly for another FaP ring. Useful if you ever need to take the first one off or accidentally remove it.

Another thing I just found it is a Gold Coin in one of the buildings in the Painted World of Ariamis. I accidentally rolled off the edge and thought I was dead. I can't believe I never tried to peek down there before.

Which costs like 150k souls to ascend. Plus, as a Pyromancer you don't get a second one until NG+ anyway. Hard to part with it when you use it all the time.

I just found out you can trade the Xanthous Crown with Snuggly for another FaP ring. Useful if you ever need to take the first one off or accidentally remove it.

Another thing I just found it is a Gold Coin in one of the buildings in the Painted World of Ariamis. I accidentally rolled off the edge and thought I was dead. I can't believe I never tried to peek down there before.

souls are so easy to get in this game though...towards the end I had more souls then I knew what to do with...getting 100,000+ is too easy with boss drops, farming, selling the non-boss souls you collect throughout the game etc...once you ascend the pyromancy flame can't you go back to the regular one?...you can do that with upgraded weapons (lightning, divine, fire etc) and always go back

souls are so easy to get in this game though...towards the end I had more souls then I knew what to do with...getting 100,000+ is too easy with boss drops, farming, selling the non-boss souls you collect throughout the game etc...once you ascend the pyromancy flame can't you go back to the regular one?...you can do that with upgraded weapons (lightning, divine, fire etc) and always go back
To get the Slab you need to trade an Ascended Flame +0, which means you lose it when you trade it. I don't think you can go back to a regular one after you ascend it.

I absolutely hate farming. I try to avoid it if I can. I'd rather go through NG+ and actually do something than kill the same enemies ad nauseam. This last playthrough sped through with a Faith character to get all the Miracles I only had around 9k souls left when I reached Gwyn's fog gate. I'm now sitting on around 500k in NG+ just so I don't have to farm Large Titanite Shards once I reach the Giant Blacksmith.

To get the Slab you need to trade an Ascended Flame +0, which means you lose it when you trade it. I don't think you can go back to a regular one after you ascend it.

I absolutely hate farming. I try to avoid it if I can. I'd rather go through NG+ and actually do something than kill the same enemies ad nauseam. This last playthrough sped through with a Faith character to get all the Miracles I only had around 9k souls left when I reached Gwyn's fog gate. I'm now sitting on around 500k in NG+ just so I don't have to farm Large Titanite Shards once I reach the Giant Blacksmith.

I originally tried doing my achievement run while keeping low level and saving my souls, but apparently that doesn't work too well. Every time I was invaded, I was one shot, while blocking. Apparently some friends told me I was an idiot for trying to do a low level, trophy run, online.

low level trophy runs are easy, you just stay hollow. Red slabs supposedly drop from the chaos eater things, but... they are not a good farm. I think the DLC was supposed to include a red slab, where you have to bring light, but instead it is a chunk. That was probably a mistake. Oh well. Pyro gloves supposedly you can get 2 per run if you drop yours before talking to the pyro guy, but unsure.

Anyway found this but it disappeared before I could kill it...

MagxEPP.jpg

Back