Danger Den Closes Its Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
Another company has fallen victim to the crappy economy. Danger Den, a fixture in the watercooling / modding community for years, is closing its doors. We want to wish Dan and the gang all the best. :(

After 12 years our hobby has come to an end. It’s time to pursue other interests and Danger Den will be closing its doors. Thank you for all your support over the years, we’ve enjoyed being part of your modding community.

I don't think they necessarily fell victim to the economy. They lacked competitive products and regular updates.

sorry to hear that ... but they were already kind of a niche product and once the big cooling companies moved into water cooling their days were probably numbered though ... always sad to see one of independent boutique companies go under though :(

This SUX!

We lost Micro Center in Santa Clara, bummer, they did carry a lot of stuff Fry's did not. Especially in water cooling, selection of motherboards all kinds of stuff.

We just lost the Wendy's, located about a mile from me. I liked Wendy's burgers, it was an excellent and a very clean store.

I see more and more closed store fronts. I know there is a lot of fear about Obama Care and tax increases on small business, this really SUX!

This SUX!

We lost Micro Center in Santa Clara, bummer, they did carry a lot of stuff Fry's did not. Especially in water cooling, selection of motherboards all kinds of stuff.

We just lost the Wendy's, located about a mile from me. I liked Wendy's burgers, it was an excellent and a very clean store.

I see more and more closed store fronts. I know there is a lot of fear about Obama Care and tax increases on small business, this really SUX!

I don't know where you're getting your information from. ;)

We've been told the economy is doing better.

I don't think they necessarily fell victim to the economy. They lacked competitive products and regular updates.

You know Dan, Dennis and Jeremy? I'm just wondering because you stated that like it was fact, not your opinion.

Very sad, especially since I started putting water cooling in my PCs again. Then again, they do have expensive products that I get elsewhere.

I have a box full of old DD water blocks and assorted hardware in my closet. Still using an old 2-bay reservoir of theirs, though.

:(

I've still got some stuff of theirs. It was an elitist product producer at one point but sad to see.

Sorry to hear this. When I started water cooling many years ago they were the ones to go to. Good luck to them.

That's unfortunate. I still have a lot of Danger Den stuff from back in my P4 days sitting in the closet. They were one of the best around back then.

That's unfortunate. I still have a lot of Danger Den stuff from back in my P4 days sitting in the closet. They were one of the best around back then.

I don't know what that kind of gear goes for these days, but I'm sure someone is willing to buy it.

I will be glad when Novembers past. Election years really bring the idiots out.

Yeah, Obama said so. And he would never lie right?......(dramatic pause)......... Right???
Cry in another thread, the economy is fine.

I agree with some of the posters here. They simply stopped innovating and lost their competitive edge. There are other water cooling companies out there that make some very excellent products and DD simply didn't keep up.

The machine i'm running runs with DD stuff. Damnit this means I need to get a new pipebomb resevior from them quick. :eek:

I agree with some of the posters here. They simply stopped innovating and lost their competitive edge. There are other water cooling companies out there that make some very excellent products and DD simply didn't keep up.

Exactly, they really needed to develop partnerships with the boutique computer makers (who do lots of water cooling) or with one of the GPU companies ... then, if they had positioned themselves as an online retailer only they might have survived ... but those who don't change with the times get crushed against the hard place by a rolling stone gathering no moss (or something like that :D ) ...

there is certainly no shortage of water cooling solutions right now and many of them are plug and play kits ... they really needed to update the business model ... they didn't and now they are no more ... c'est la vie (or such is death in this case) :cool:

Good luck. I think they've liquidated most, if not all, of their stock by now.

It must have gone somewhere! I do have one already but the postage people decided it was a great package to drop several times... DD replaced the brackets for me which were obviously cracked, but then a while later when heated up lots the resevior haturned out to have a tiny tiny crack in it (you can't see it, but it's there). It's only tiny and on one end, and probably fixable... but would ne nice to have a replacement because of the looks of the thing. :D

Exactly, they really needed to develop partnerships with the boutique computer makers (who do lots of water cooling) or with one of the GPU companies ...

They did, with BFG. They were one of the first (maybe the first) companies to do prebuilt watercooled cards for which DD supplied the blocks. but BFG went out of buisness for various reasons.

They did, with BFG. They were one of the first (maybe the first) companies to do prebuilt watercooled cards for which DD supplied the blocks. but BFG went out of buisness for various reasons.

I was just thinking that even in this down economy that supposedly killed them the big boutiques like Falcon Northwest, Origin, Digital Storm, Velocity Micro, and others seem to be doing okay enough to survive ... even though some of them sell computers that cost more than people's cars are worth ... but if they had fallen behind the other cooling companies now that Corsair, Cooler Master, and others were all making water block systems for CPUs and GPUs they would definitely be doomed ... more partnerships might have helped them technically as well (more customers pushing them to push the envelope ;) ) ... but, hindsight is 20/20 as the saying goes :)

wait a minute, Danger Den has only been around 12 years? WTF? it seems like a lot longer.

Thanks for the memories DD.

So sad. Of course I didn't like watching them slip as a competitor anyway. EK and others really moved in and started innovating at a much more rapid pace. I wouldn't be surprised if Danger Den and some other companies in that arena didn't feel the pain created by self-contained and inexpensive units like Corsair's H80 and H100 which may not cool as well but offer more bang for your buck.

no way

bummer

hate to be contrary Dan, but EK innovating? Innovating nickel plating that falls off and plugs your loop maybe.

it is definitely sad to see such an iconic brand go the way of the dinosaur.

But thanks to them, it paved the way for others to get serious about watercooling.
Now, we even have Intel officially adopting it.

it is definitely sad to see such an iconic brand go the way of the dinosaur.

They were killed by a giant meteor?

Sucks when small companies go under.
I think its a combination of the economy and the water cooling market being so crowded.
I really haven't seen much of their stuff in the case mods area for a while, mostly ek now.

You know Dan, Dennis and Jeremy? I'm just wondering because you stated that like it was fact, not your opinion.

Well, I started off by saying, "I don't think..." which is a clue that it was my opinion, and I didn't mean to imply that the economy had nothing to do with it.

Look, my first water cooling setup featured the original TDX block. It kicked ass, and around that time DD was at the cutting edge. But once the RBX and TDX became yesterday's news, there didn't seem to be many competitive products from them. Based on my years in the hobby, I've gathered that that is basically the consensus of the community as well.

It's unfortunate that they are closing their doors, indeed. Competition and variety are great for us consumers, and I'm sure it is tough on the owners. My initial comment wasn't meant as a personal attack or anything, so I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Yeah, it's just DANDY. If it gets any more dandy I'll be enjoying the high life from a cardboard box. (I guess I can put in the ;) too just to make the tone of the post lighter than I actually feel about it.)

Anyone who says the economy is fine doesn't own a business.

Wow DangerDen. The first time I built a watercooling system, all the parts were from them. RIP.

I gotta say the disingenuous statement about the economy only reduces the credibility of hardocp. Do you want to sound like a shill? Because that's what you've done.

Way to soil the memory of what many of us enthusiasts consider the first really good commercial block maker.

Get back to journalism, we're not here to read your stupid political sleights.

Danger Den.. Will miss them..

:(

Everything I bought from them was top notch.

I never was one for watercooling. It was a jump I just didn't have the confidence in making.

But if I did, DD would have been choice #1 before I looked at anyone else.

no way

bummer

hate to be contrary Dan, but EK innovating? Innovating nickel plating that falls off and plugs your loop maybe.

Their full cover video card blocks were well received not that long ago. They were getting better temps and had better build quality than many others. Not sure how the plating holds up. This is the first I've ever heard of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back