Danger Den Closes Its Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have 2 GTX 480 water blocks that I can't bring myself to get rid of.

I guess as all things , they must end.

Another company has fallen victim to the crappy economy. Danger Den, a fixture in the watercooling / modding community for years, is closing its doors. We want to wish Dan and the gang all the best. :(

They have been in business for what seems like FOREVER, and I have always seen their parts recommended around here over the years, especially on the forums. I'm sad to see them be a victim of our stagnant economy.

I wish the business owners better luck in their next venture if they decide to do something else. I, for one, will miss them.

DD was one of the pioneers in the business , sad to see to them go down. Can't help reminiscing , its guys with products like them what got me interested in overclocking in the first place..

That is a bummer to hear. I still use my Maze 4 on my 4870 and I want to try to see if I can use it on a 79xx when I get one soon.

More like CPUs have gotten faster and faster to the point that enthusiast cooling is becoming increasingly irrelevant. When is the last time any of you have purchased their products?

You know Dan, Dennis and Jeremy?

I do.

And i feel for them. At least i got a good tour of the Facility before they closed the doors. Those guys are awesome.

These are guys that did it for the hobby, not to make millions. Most of them Had other jobs and did this because they love it.

And i will run this TDX block till it blows. :)

I remember buying some stuff from dangerden when I was in high school. I didn't have the cash for awesome sexy looking res. or radiators. But damnit I had a danger den block :)

Sad to see them gone.

Economy? it sucks. Soon as Mr. O got into office I went from making just over 6 figures... to 14 dollars an hour. Thanks a lot.

The worst part is that both parties suck, it doesn't matter who you vote for because in the end it will be the same crap from either side. I do find it hilarious that when O got into office everyone thought he was some sort of messiah and going to fix everything and pay for everyone's crap. 4 years later all we have are empty promises and him begging for "a little more time".

Best thing we could do as a nation? Fire every single person in washington, the house, the senate, EVERYONE. And start fresh.

If we had a lot more taxes, these guys would still be in business.

Shame shame.:(

Rather a shame, I have a bunch of danger den products. Most collecting dust due to socket changes, but I keep them because they are hands down the best looking water cooling blocks. Man I hate this, but I can't argue that I haven't seen much competing against corsair and other systems lately.

Thanks for many great years danger den, you will be missed. The modding community is a lesser place without you.

After 12 years our hobby has come to an end. It’s time to pursue other interests and Danger Den will be closing its doors. Thank you for all your support over the years, we’ve enjoyed being part of your modding community.

No where in that statement by Danger Den is mentioned that they are going out of business because of the economy.

I've only been water cooling for a few years now and am by no means a water cooling market analyst to know the accurate number of people who water cool but to me it seems like water cooling has gotten more popular.

I started water cooling with a Corsair H50 self contained unit and then went to full custom loop system design. This was over 3 years ago and since then there have been more self contained loops by different companies come to market.

This last 2 years i have been following the top cpu and block builders and Danger Den hasn't had a very competitive block compared to many other block builders.

The economy of any busniess is based on the amount of products they are able to sell and based on the product line up that Danger Den has and the many other water cooling products that have come out over the last few years it seems like Danger Den is going out of business because they haven't been able to compete with other water cooling businesses.

Seems like water cooling has gotten more popular over the last few years since I got into it.

I don't think water cooling as a hobby is coming to an end. People who water cool want the best gear they can afford and buy.

I think Danger Den is done with the hobby but the hobby for others hasn't ended.

That sucks, everyone one of my water/phase cooling solutions has parts from them.

I dont run water cooling, but I'm still sad to see them close. DD has been around for as long as I can remember, and always had great buzz on the forums.

I think the people on here making up excuses and pointing the finger have no idea. DangerDens official statement says nothing of the sort. This is a company ran buy less then 10 friends, that did it because they love the community and making awesome watercooling stuff and making custom cases. They did it because their resulting out-come was awesome. This is a family and friends small business. What they did and the market they targeted would never make them millionaires. They didn't care. They just wanted to make awesome stuff for people that love to mod and watercool.

Well said Warrior ^

We started Mnpctech the same year Danger Den started and we cater to same enthusiasts and our sales have grown in succession each year since 2001. The crew at Danger Den is very talented and will be successful in whatever new endeavors they pursue.

One administration with a nonfunctional Congress of ignorant circlejerkers isn't going to fix it overnight, and anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

I never quite understood this line of thinking.

If someone rejects the President's ideas, then they have every right to vote for someone who won't work with him.

By the way, I have a hard time believing the economy is "fine" when we have 40+million people on food stamps. That's not a sign of a healthy economy.

That is a bummer. Most of my first WC parts came from Danger Den, like 10 years ago.

If someone rejects the President's ideas, then they have every right to vote for someone who won't work with him.

By the way, I have a hard time believing the economy is "fine" when we have 40+million people on food stamps. That's not a sign of a healthy economy.

then can you please help me understand how DD is going under because of the economy and obama? :rolleyes:

then can you please help me understand how DD is going under because of the economy and obama? :rolleyes:

Not sure why they are going under. I know nothing about them. But I seriously object to people saying the economy is "fine." If it's fine then we can stop deficit spending over a $1 trillion a year, we can raise interest rates, and the Fed can stop printing money. In fact, we can do it all tomorrow if things are "fine."

I mentioned we have 40+million (actually around 45 million but who's counting) people on foodstamps. This is a stastistic rarely heard in the media.

Their full cover video card blocks were well received not that long ago. They were getting better temps and had better build quality than many others. Not sure how the plating holds up. This is the first I've ever heard of that.

http://www.realredraider.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47617

There are a lot threads like this one. The problem that they sold defective blocks isn't as bad as how they lied to their customers and tried to blame their faulty products on them.

They had the shittiest products among the WC market, their prices were a bit on the north side so they deserve their fate.

I remember buying some stuff from dangerden when I was in high school. I didn't have the cash for awesome sexy looking res. or radiators. But damnit I had a danger den block :)

Sad to see them gone.

Economy? it sucks. Soon as Mr. O got into office I went from making just over 6 figures... to 14 dollars an hour. Thanks a lot.

The worst part is that both parties suck, it doesn't matter who you vote for because in the end it will be the same crap from either side. I do find it hilarious that when O got into office everyone thought he was some sort of messiah and going to fix everything and pay for everyone's crap. 4 years later all we have are empty promises and him begging for "a little more time".

Best thing we could do as a nation? Fire every single person in washington, the house, the senate, EVERYONE. And start fresh.

So you went from making 1 million a year to $14 an hour? If your skills were really that valuable, you wouldn't be making 14 an hour. Hey, why take the blame when you can point the finger, right?

On topic. DD products weren't competitive anymore. Also extreme cooling is not really needed anymore. A 2500k at 4.6ish under air/prepackaged water isn't much different than a 2500k under a custom loop in performance that you can feel in use. They should have focused on that a bi more. Also having a deal to sel cooling to an item would have helped a lot too. BFG stopped making cards years ago, so they don't really count.

Then vote for someone else and stop trying to tie him or the government in general to everything bad. Conservatives and Republicans are always complaining about Liberals and Democrats whining, when they themselves whine passive-aggressively and it's always someone else's fault none of their own.

Stupid auto correct... Above should have been "sell cooling to an OEM."

Then vote for someone else and stop trying to tie him or the government in general to everything bad. Conservatives and Republicans are always complaining about Liberals and Democrats whining, when they themselves whine passive-aggressively and it's always someone else's fault none of their own.

The bottom line is that the government has enormous power in this country. It's the single most powerful force in the nation and exercises control over almost all aspect of your life.

As a result, it's perfectly logical to blame it when things go poorly. I think growing (but still small) numbers of people are starting to question the government's role in virtually everything. Because they can't stop the government's interference in their lives for various reasons, they do the next best thing which is to slowly grind it down.

It is what it is. You can't have the government command the size and scope it does while at the same time expect every single issue to not be politicized. It doesn't work that way

I never bought from them but their Maze 4 some years ago has been my inspiration for my home made water block at this time. It's sad to see them go but I guess it's the way things goes.

You know Dan, Dennis and Jeremy? I'm just wondering because you stated that like it was fact, not your opinion.

What does knowing the owners of a company have to do with stating what he said? I'm not saying he was right or wrong, but one doesn't need to personally know the owners of a company to say why their company succeeded or failed....

According to some posts over at XS forums, his wife or somebody related to the owner passed away. Maybe we should cut the speculation on this issue and create another thread about the water cooling industry elsewhere.....

Well said Warrior ^

We started Mnpctech the same year Danger Den started and we cater to same enthusiasts and our sales have grown in succession each year since 2001. The crew at Danger Den is very talented and will be successful in whatever new endeavors they pursue.

You do not sell the same types of products that they sell. Apples and oranges. Most people here are focusing on their water-blocks but their cases became a larger part of their business. The economy did take a huge hit on their sales just as it has impacted other companies in similar fields. I talk to these companies and can say the recession has impacted many other companies. With respect to Danger Den, other factors come into play such as the fact that the three remaining owners who stayed at the business after the CEO left all had other full-time jobs. Add in factors like the high price of copper and raw materials such as thick sheet acrylic and you can see why their margins were not enough to keep things going. I have spent a good amount of time with the owners at their shop and at events.

I would get it if people were saying "don't blame the economy on the current administration" as we are facing very deep structural issues that go way back, but these folks that seem to be insisting that there is NOT a problem??

Don't know what virtual planet you live on...out here IRL it has been damn thin since summer '07...

This SUX!

We lost Micro Center in Santa Clara, bummer, they did carry a lot of stuff Fry's did not. Especially in water cooling, selection of motherboards all kinds of stuff.

We just lost the Wendy's, located about a mile from me. I liked Wendy's burgers, it was an excellent and a very clean store.

I see more and more closed store fronts. I know there is a lot of fear about Obama Care and tax increases on small business, this really SUX!

You mentioned Micro Center, Frys and Wendy's and somehow saw it relevant to mention "small businesses"? Maybe you should be shopping at small businesses instead if you actually were that worried about it and weren't just looking for a cheap political shot.

I think all discrete water-cooling companies have been hit by the increase in quality of contained systems such as from Thermaltake, Corsair, and others. Most recent hardware also has better thermals including Intel's processors and NVIDIA's GPUS.

Its not a victim of technology, its an obsolete market.

Watercooling is mainstream, with plug and play all-in-one units that make watercooling cheap and easy.

On top of that, simple air cooling is getting vastly superior, allowing people to get great overclocks on simple air cooling for REALLY cheap.

This is no different than when ice-boxes were replaced by refrigerators, and Danger Den just has the common sense to get out of the business now and put their resources to the next best thing.

*damn lack of edit; I meant "not a victim of the economy, its a victim of technology"

Guys hold up...

I am NOT defending the current administration. I have profound frustrations with it. However, our state of terminal economic decline is way, WAY beyond which flavor of puppet currently resides at 1600 penn.

This is a tech forum, take this shit to zerohedge, I am up to here with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back