DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

RGB is life!

Installed 2 Cablemod Aura-sync compatible LED strips, one 30cm above the GPU and one 60cm around the motherboard. Made my own extention cable to connect the 2 strips.

I'll take a new video when it's dark

sldr, is it possible that you tell me where to buy the m2 standoffs (male) and what length the standoffs have? Thanks in advance! :)

RGB is life!

Installed 2 Cablemod Aura-sync compatible LED strips, one 30cm above the GPU and one 60cm around the motherboard. Made my own extention cable to connect the 2 strips.

I'll take a new video when it's dark

Since I'm a fan of your Quake and Doom logos and it's a nice workaround for handling thermals, could I basically clone your order and the window will screw on to my v2 a4 without further customization?

sldr, is it possible that you tell me where to buy the m2 standoffs (male) and what length the standoffs have? Thanks in advance! :)

I did not find them in a retail store, I ordered 5 pieces of an M2 standoff 25mm as a sample via a wholesale partner. I have no idea where to find them on the internet or in a "normal" shop

Since I'm a fan of your Quake and Doom logos and it's a nice workaround for handling thermals, could I basically clone your order and the window will screw on to my v2 a4 without further customization?

I designed the plexiglasses using Autodesk Fusion 360 (it's free) on macOS (no idea what tools to use on Windows, most lileky they have Windows versions too), it's not that difficult at all.
I got three more designs incoming, they will probably be delivered next week Monday. This time an updated Doom version, the Quake Champions logo and one with all the Quake logo's to date (1,2,3,4, live, champions). The previous ones were acrylic transparent coloerless 3mm, for the new ones I ordered the same "greyish" shade like the original prexy.

All you need is the DXF file dondan provides on his website ( Window Kit Template - DXF File 0.4 MB ), edit in a tool of your liking, keeping the 4 holes to mount it on the sidepanel, and export it as a file format that the company that'll (laser)cut your design. It's about €20 per panel, depending on the complexity of the cuts (more cuts = higher price).

I used https://snijlab.nl/en, they have a webshop where you can upload your drawings and have their systems verify your design. If your design looks ok in the preview, they'll be able to produce it. I don't know where you're from, but they ship internationally.

Would anyone be interested in a "howto" on how to make these plexi designs? dondan : are you ok if I would try to write that up?

Thank you!

Yes I would love to know. I never used Fusion 360 so it'd be great to know how to set the dimensions (ie size of the panel, location of 4 holes to screw onto case).

Looking at the DOOM logo, do you think it'll run cooler than the default (non-dan window) side panel?

I also did some custom sidepanels - a fusion of DANs and Duke00's version.

IMG-20180307-WA0008.jpeg IMG_20180307_120716.jpg

Last edited:
dondan A friend desperately wants to buy a A4-SFX with the window kit. Do you have any idea when the window kits will be available to buy?

Does using the noctua b9 on the noctua l9i cause turbulence noise?
I mean, it should when it's about 2mm away from the side panel, but some people are reporting the noise level is the same as the a9x14.
If anyone has that combo, can you check the sound with the side panel on and off?

Last edited:
Sure. Please keep in mind that the fan duct is custom made for my cooler and motherboard, your results may vary or the fan duct will not fit at all.
Got it printed (though split the fan shroud from the duct for a cleaner print). https://imgur.com/a/zQQkr
Printing in clear resulted in nice transmission from the LED strip. Will probably do a U channel to cover the LEDs visible through the side panel.

Thanks so much!

By default all the motherboards are auto overclocking intel CPUs so they hit their max turbo frequency on all cores instead of just 1 or 2. This drives up the tdp alot but shouldn't improve gaming performance much. If you find that setting you should be able to switch it off. Also, I remember someone posting that you can set the tdp in some manufacturers bios's.

Any chance multi-core enhancement is on, running all cores at max turbo? Does seem excessive.

Both of these were correct! Thanks! Followed the instructions in this video to figure out where to disable it in the ASUS BIOS and to get some more background on the issue:

The TDP "boosts" to 122W for a max 28 seconds according to the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. During these periods of boost, I'm seeing all of the cores at 4.6 GHz instead of 4.3 GHz, which is what I would expect. The maximum temperature after running a few tests (CPU and Memory tests) show a running average of 76 deg C, and a max around 84 Deg C. So That makes me feel better about the delid and cooling solution I have in place.

However, this issue now has gone almost completely the other way in that I cannot get a sustained 4.3 GHz across all cores as I would expect a standard i7-8700 to do. Now with MCE disabled and when it's not in this 122W boost period, it comes down to 65W TDP as expected, but the speed seen on the cores bounces around 3.83 GHz to 4.03 GHz. "Power Limit Throttling" is the reason that the Intel ETU is flagging. If the i7-8700 is rated for 4.3 GHz across all cores in "normal TDP operation", what could I have set incorrectly for not being able to sustain 4.3 GHz? So now that I know where the MCE function is and what it does I may see if tried to see if I could tweak it to get a decent clock just above TDP that would then not overload my cooling solution. After a significant amount of playing around with bios settings trying to figure this out, I ran through the following scenarios:
  • Disable MCE with XMP enabled - Temps are good, avg around 76C as above, can run forever like this but I never have long periods of sustained 4.3 GHz on the cores. Constant Power Limit Throttling.
  • Disable MCE and XMP - Really no change (marginal if anything). Temp still avg 76C and heavy power limit throttling. I was expecting to see more change here given that XMP is an overclock, and more power would be available if the memory sits back where the CPU is designed for.
  • Reload Defaults and disable MCE - No change beyond the above.
  • Perform 5-Way optimization as per the Asus Bios Utility - This seemed stable, but the temps were on average for a 5min load test around 98C peaking at 101C and on the verge of the thermal limiter. This had boosted the reference clock to 102.50 MHz. So next step was to try scaling this back to stock....
  • 5-Way optimization with ref clock at 100MHz - Marginal temp decrease, maybe an average of 96C and creeping upward. Still too high for my comfort.
So now I'm a bit lost what to do and how to set the bios as I have no experience overclocking, but willing to dabble and learn. I want XMP enabled and the CPU to sit at 4.3 GHz on all cores, but don't know how to set this up without seeing large temp gains (ie. with the 5-way opt utility). I would like to start off with the default bios settings with no MCE and XMP enabled, and then boost voltage or the TDP maximum just a bit to see if I can get a stable 4.3 GHz multi-core clock with no more than a 10C rise from my current 76C measure. Any guidance would be appreciated. I'll probably post this issue on the ASUS ROG forum to see what I should be looking at in the bios for a nice half-way point.

Stock Clock is fine.

4,7Ghz Allcore is possible too, but then the i7 is near the Throttle temp.

And you have to delid the CPU.

Edit:

btw i try if the LP53 can handle 25mm fans.
i found my old Noiseblocker Multiframe.
It works ... nahhh, it is realy hot, but it's only the 1250rpm Version.
Without modification there are a lot inteference noises.

But when you put a fly Screen between the fan and the Sidepanel the noises goes down.

My next test will be the 2000rpm PWM Version and a dustfilter.
To get a better Performance and maybe the Filter lowers the noises a Little more.

What antennas are those? Can you fit both? I had problems with too thick antennas to fit onto the motherboard..
_mg_2592ikuc8.jpg

Thanks for the Support (yes the Aio Fan in pull Direction makes 10 degrees less!), thanks to dondan for the nice case!

Today my smaller ram was arriving (corsair ddr4-3200 without led). So I can close the case and the project.

Note: corsair ddr4-4000 and the Asrock z370 don‘t seems to be compatible.

Attachments

• 329B92B2-70B9-4A71-A9D6-EE00DE84C71F.jpeg
    329B92B2-70B9-4A71-A9D6-EE00DE84C71F.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 915F7D5B-F33A-46A9-9454-3EF59CB67FBC.jpeg
    915F7D5B-F33A-46A9-9454-3EF59CB67FBC.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 44
Both of these were correct! Thanks! Followed the instructions in this video to figure out where to disable it in the ASUS BIOS and to get some more background on the issue:

The TDP "boosts" to 122W for a max 28 seconds according to the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. During these periods of boost, I'm seeing all of the cores at 4.6 GHz instead of 4.3 GHz, which is what I would expect. The maximum temperature after running a few tests (CPU and Memory tests) show a running average of 76 deg C, and a max around 84 Deg C. So That makes me feel better about the delid and cooling solution I have in place.

However, this issue now has gone almost completely the other way in that I cannot get a sustained 4.3 GHz across all cores as I would expect a standard i7-8700 to do. Now with MCE disabled and when it's not in this 122W boost period, it comes down to 65W TDP as expected, but the speed seen on the cores bounces around 3.83 GHz to 4.03 GHz. "Power Limit Throttling" is the reason that the Intel ETU is flagging. If the i7-8700 is rated for 4.3 GHz across all cores in "normal TDP operation", what could I have set incorrectly for not being able to sustain 4.3 GHz? So now that I know where the MCE function is and what it does I may see if tried to see if I could tweak it to get a decent clock just above TDP that would then not overload my cooling solution. After a significant amount of playing around with bios settings trying to figure this out, I ran through the following scenarios:
  • Disable MCE with XMP enabled - Temps are good, avg around 76C as above, can run forever like this but I never have long periods of sustained 4.3 GHz on the cores. Constant Power Limit Throttling.
  • Disable MCE and XMP - Really no change (marginal if anything). Temp still avg 76C and heavy power limit throttling. I was expecting to see more change here given that XMP is an overclock, and more power would be available if the memory sits back where the CPU is designed for.
  • Reload Defaults and disable MCE - No change beyond the above.
  • Perform 5-Way optimization as per the Asus Bios Utility - This seemed stable, but the temps were on average for a 5min load test around 98C peaking at 101C and on the verge of the thermal limiter. This had boosted the reference clock to 102.50 MHz. So next step was to try scaling this back to stock....
  • 5-Way optimization with ref clock at 100MHz - Marginal temp decrease, maybe an average of 96C and creeping upward. Still too high for my comfort.
So now I'm a bit lost what to do and how to set the bios as I have no experience overclocking, but willing to dabble and learn. I want XMP enabled and the CPU to sit at 4.3 GHz on all cores, but don't know how to set this up without seeing large temp gains (ie. with the 5-way opt utility). I would like to start off with the default bios settings with no MCE and XMP enabled, and then boost voltage or the TDP maximum just a bit to see if I can get a stable 4.3 GHz multi-core clock with no more than a 10C rise from my current 76C measure. Any guidance would be appreciated. I'll probably post this issue on the ASUS ROG forum to see what I should be looking at in the bios for a nice half-way point.

Processor base frequency is 3.2GHz on intel website.

I would think only synthetic loads will push the cores down 3.8-4.0. everything else should be perfect. That said you should be able to gradually up the TDP setting until you get a good balance between clock speed and temps.

Orderd seperate cables and sleeves and a crimping tool at MDPC-X and some connectors at Hoghflow.nl ... custom PSU cables here we come!

Orderd seperate cables and sleeves and a crimping tool at MDPC-X and some connectors at Hoghflow.nl ... custom PSU cables here we come!

MDPC-X is pretty great, the best you can buy and can hold its shape forever, but it's pretty rigid imo. In a case this small I'd use softer sleeving like paracord. In my mAtx build I use and prefer mdpc-x though. Let us know how it goes.

I did not find them in a retail store, I ordered 5 pieces of an M2 standoff 25mm as a sample via a wholesale partner. I have no idea where to find them on the internet or in a "normal" shop

I designed the plexiglasses using Autodesk Fusion 360 (it's free) on macOS (no idea what tools to use on Windows, most lileky they have Windows versions too), it's not that difficult at all.
I got three more designs incoming, they will probably be delivered next week Monday. This time an updated Doom version, the Quake Champions logo and one with all the Quake logo's to date (1,2,3,4, live, champions). The previous ones were acrylic transparent coloerless 3mm, for the new ones I ordered the same "greyish" shade like the original prexy.

All you need is the DXF file dondan provides on his website ( Window Kit Template - DXF File 0.4 MB ), edit in a tool of your liking, keeping the 4 holes to mount it on the sidepanel, and export it as a file format that the company that'll (laser)cut your design. It's about €20 per panel, depending on the complexity of the cuts (more cuts = higher price).

I used https://snijlab.nl/en, they have a webshop where you can upload your drawings and have their systems verify your design. If your design looks ok in the preview, they'll be able to produce it. I don't know where you're from, but they ship internationally.

Would anyone be interested in a "howto" on how to make these plexi designs? dondan : are you ok if I would try to write that up?

Thanks for your answer! Its really hard to find some of this type. Could you sell me one standoff? Where do you live? ;)

I finished the "manual" (lack of a better word) to create your own plexiglass designs.

Feel free to comment or let me know if something wasn't clear!

Attachments

• DAN A4-SFX Window Kit Custom Plexiglass Design.pdf
    784.6 KB · Views: 24
Update: A4-SFXv3 full feature list:

I made the decission to add some more feature to the v3, because before it was more like a v2.1

• Lian Li 300mm PCIe Gen3 riser
  • Power button is now very close to the switch on the PCB. This will result in a more accurate pressure point
  • Front USB is angled to be compatible with 92mm Asetek AIO
  • Increasing the slot hole count for bottom fan
  • Including 120mm AIO Bracket for ITX GPU, HDPlex or Flex PSU usage (with SFX 177mm long GPU like Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini ITX, with HD Plex 273mm long GPU and with Flex 215mm long GPU)
  • Adding HDPlex 400W mountpoints and DC-Jack bracket
  • FLEX PSU support to use 120mm AIO and Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini and internal PSU (Maybe this will be an optional accessory)

power_buttonoyk74.jpg
usb_portudjqa.jpg
bottom_surfacefqjjr.jpg
aio_sfxdzjc1.jpg
aioqiuq0.jpg
hdplex20j93.jpg
flex_120aiogmjpc.jpg

Regards and thank you for your support
Daniel Hansen

Awesome additions! Would it be too much to ask for 80mm fan mounting under the mainboard?

dondan would you consider USB type C instead for the front port of version 3 or do you still think too few motherboards support it? I'm thinking by the time you ship V3 its a safe bet to adopt the new standard

What about a bracket for 80x10mm fan mount on top , above the GPU/MB?
Would be Nice aswell

It looks like a bracket can be implemented just like the 120mm bracket you’ve made dondan

Attachments

• 8DCC92F3-18B3-4CA8-871F-A089F802BAB7.jpeg
    8DCC92F3-18B3-4CA8-871F-A089F802BAB7.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
The card would be clash with the power connector if i move it down.

Reactions: D10S
like this
Could you bump the connector down a couple mm? It looks like there's about 3mm clearance already.

(Besides, if you move the motherboard but not the GPU the two won't be aligned on the back panel.)

Last edited:
Question for those doing the mini-size GPUs and side-mounted radiators:

I see how this could work with HDPlex-style DC board, as there's plenty of space made available.
But how does a side rad work with a standard SFX PSU in place? Doesn't the PSU block a significant portion of the radiator, significantly hindering airflow?

Could you bump the connector down a couple mm? It looks like there's about 3mm clearance already.

(Besides, if you move the motherboard but not the GPU the two won't be aligned on the back panel.)

I just took a quick measure, there is a couple of mm of space where the GPU could be lowered down.

Dosent move that much air, and if you turn up the speed they get a bit noisy for my taste, rather want a spot for a 92x14mm Noctua :)

Dosent move that much air, and if you turn up the speed they get a bit noisy for my taste, rather want a spot for a 92x14mm Noctua :)
I just mounted a small Noctua NF-A4x10 in the PSU,
replacing the original one (really very noisy),
it's really great, quiet and efficient!
Snapseed 6.jpg
YhWzG0v

Would moving the 120mm mount as high on the bracket as possible allow the possibility of multiple 2.5" drives in the bottom?

Back