DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. D10S

D10S Limp Gawd

Rattling sound isn't good! :(
    Probably your mobo is 0,2/0,3 mm more than mine and touch too much the fan? :facepalm:
    Did you put the fan first and then screw "delicate" the mobo in place? :sneaky:
    How are the temps now on mobo/ram/cpu/gpu? Better? :nailbiting:

2. darxder

darxder n00b

It was fixed after I redid my cable management somehow. Glad it's fixed. And my CPU on the same voltage can actually hit a max temperature of 81c instead of climbing up to around 90c in Prime95 Everything minus GPU is running a tad cooler. Very happy with the final build for its size.

D10S likes this.
  3. D10S

D10S Limp Gawd

WOW !!!
    (y)(y)(y)

4. mirgus

mirgus Limp Gawd

What do you do when u get bored? Buy unnecessary stuff :D I bought a used peli case for transporting my case safely when i'm traveling. I will transport everything except for the display.
    • Dan Case
    • Mouse
    • Keyboard (currently looking for one 60%, maybe SK621 or ducky one 2 mini)
    • Xbox Controller
    • Cables (power cable, usb etc)
    omYwLfO.jpg
    ZVGEYM1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    illram, D10S and Nanook like this.
  5. D10S

D10S Limp Gawd

I'm using this one (464x366x176 h), super compact! :)(y)

f7f1fe02-df06-47a7-a4e9-10648fc684b4.JPG

Van0, Engr62 and mirgus like this.
  6. ezeftw

ezeftw n00b

I'm having 88°c peaks with my i5 8400 & nh-l9i while gaming... is that normal? I'm really concerned about the temperatures with this case.

7. mirgus

mirgus Limp Gawd

Are u using a fan duct?

8. ezeftw

ezeftw n00b

I've tried a home-made duct and seen 3° improvement. I will try the Cryorig c7, but really disappointed atm. I bought the i5 8400 just to be safe with the temps lol

9. Engr62

Engr62 Limp Gawd

First, you'll want to try re-installing the NH-L9i just in case it's not making good contact. Next, what RAM speed are you running? If I run my Supermicro z370i motherboard using the XMS profile (at 3000 MHz) for my RAM, my i5-8600K runs about 5 to 7°C hotter than it does if I just use the default RAM speed (2133 MHz). With Intel CPUs, the RAM speed won't make a lot of difference in performance. Lastly, you may be able to run a little lower voltage for your CPU. I'm able to run my i5-8600K with a -0.05 V offset.

Julio Espinosa likes this.
  10. ezeftw

ezeftw n00b

I have a z370i with an XMS profile at 3200mhz. I'm going to try that, thanks for the advice. I reinstalled the NH-L9i 3 times, and the spread pattern of the thermal paste seems fine... maybe I was just very unlucky with the cpu lottery.

Julio Espinosa likes this.
  11. mirgus

mirgus Limp Gawd

or your cpu isnt running on "intel specs" and is boosting more often then it should. u can try undervolting etc ;). do the temps get much lower with opened side panel?

12. ezeftw

ezeftw n00b

No, they are almost the same with the side panel off. I'll try undervolting and updating the BIOS maybe, idk.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  13. F4810

F4810 n00b

Hello, i'm waiting that the dan A4 sfx v.4 will be available. Can you tell me Where i can buy the panel with window s for this new version? Thanks a lot for your support!

14. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

ezeftw:

I have the feeling you have the same problem like this guy on your board:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...emp-i5-8400-nh-l9i-65c-avg-w-asus-z370i.7342/

For this guy the solution was to rotate the heatsink 90°. You could also try to use the boxed heatsink to see if the temps are better - if yes maybe your L9i is defective (bad soldering)
    If this will not change the situation you should follow my steps of the thermal guide on dan-cases.com in the FAQ section. Please use CoreTemp as the tool for monitoring temps and power conumption of the CPU.
    Make sure all AutoOverclocking features are disabled in the UEFI and the CPU run with default settings. Same for the FAN profile settings in UEFI. On heavy load the CPU fan has to spin with 2500rpm.

Share some picture of the build and thermal past after disassembly of the heatsink.

F4810:
    There are now Window Kits available. Please read the "How-to get custom window kits for v4" guide on dan-cases.com in the FAQ section.

Ca11idus likes this.
  15. Frenzy_ls

Frenzy_ls n00b

Anticipating my V4 from SFFlab.
    Just to note, it's being held at Belgian customs because no invoice information provided from "Taiwan".
    The BelgianPost import division wrote me a letter about this, and I provided the necessary info in return (Declaration form and invoice/receipt copy).
    If would'nt reply within 1 month the package would be sent back or destroyed.

Writing this just to make others aware to check their mail. Hope invoice details were provided in the other shipments, otherwise quite some extra work possibly.

D10S likes this.
  16. PalaSicka

PalaSicka n00b

Hello, I am new here, I've ordered V4, I have my Noctua ready on Intel 8700, fan duct printed and MSI 1070ITX ready, but it's getting little bit hot on it's back so 2 questions:
    • Is it possible to cool the back's of the boards (GPU and Motherboad) - I plan the bottom fan to be exhaust for the duct->noctua->cpu intake.
    • Does anyone have an information about the fan bracket? When that will be available for V4?
    Thank you for your time ♥

17. juaninamilli

juaninamilli n00b

Has anyone with a V4 tested whether intake or exhaust was the best use for the bottom fan? I know “heat rises”, but I have an open air cooler and with the case being so small... I wonder if my current intake configuration is actually just blowing the hot air back in.

18. Cod

Cod Gawd

So, I decided for my family's new "office PC" to go with the Dan A4 (v4) since my wife and I love minimalism in the office. The parts shopping journey has begun as the case arrived this afternoon. Any gotchas, nice-to-knows, etc. I should know about before doing my research and ordering parts?

19. pedrofan

pedrofan n00b

Lol, the new mac pro looks like a giant cheese grater :cow::D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Julio Espinosa and D10S like this.
  20. PalaSicka

PalaSicka n00b

I was just wondering, who will be building Mac Pro Mini from DAN like me :D
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70338418/

For real - if you want it, you can search "Space Aluminum Chrome Cabinet Handles Kitchen Furniture Cupboard Closet Dresser Drawer Pulls Bars Wholesale 64/96/128/160/192mm" on ali.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  21. PalaSicka

PalaSicka n00b

Hi, I am testing it in another small case and so far if you don't have a duct, intake should work better. There is an issue with the hot air building up inside the case around CPU which needs to leave this area asap from top to the bottom, so pressurizing the area pushes the air away to the zone where you don't care much about it + you cool the mainboard too.

I am waiting for my v4 so far and I guess it will have the results lil bit different with the fan duct attached and vertical heatsink orientation.

22. juaninamilli

juaninamilli n00b

I should’ve mentioned that. I do have a duct. I ended up flipping it. Seems to be 2-3 degrees cooler, but definitely cools down fast after use.

23. darxder

darxder n00b

Do you guys know when the Dan Case will be available or for pre-order on SFFLAB again?

24. PalaSicka

PalaSicka n00b

So you are pushing out? What GPU do you use? I ask if you, by any chance, have the SFF GPU and use a bracket for another fan.

25. StrawKite

StrawKite Limp Gawd

Hi Dan. I've just ordered 2 laser cut windows for the v4 case, and I'm wondering how long the m3 screw threads should be?
    Also, I'd recommend you upload the window file as a 2007 dxf file instead, as that is the only format Ponoko accepts. It's a popular and more than a century old site for online laser cutting. They have a wide variety of materials, are cheap and ship to the whole world.
    Please consider changing feet screwholes to m4 for at better selection, and move them a tiny bit into the center of the case to allow higher and wider feet if people want this (atleast 25mm diameter). It makes sense with new 645lt to get more airflow.
    Also please consider changing windows screwholes for m4 to allow a wider selection of thumbscrews, such as mnpctech thumb screws.
    Thanks for making a great case.

26. juaninamilli

juaninamilli n00b

EVGA GTX1070 SC. Just using a Noctua bottom fan as exhaust and Noctua w/ a duct on the cpu. Using an SF450 PSU.

PalaSicka likes this.
  27. Cod

Cod Gawd

Does the Gigabyte RX570 fit easily?

28. blitzhex

blitzhex n00b

I haven't been following the sff scene for a while now. I've got two questions if anyone could help me out.

1. How do the latest sff fanless psu's perform? Are they safe to buy?
    2. How does the black ridge perform? Is it worth upgrading to it from the nh-l9i? Most importantly is it as quiet or quieter than the l9i?

29. ranker2

ranker2 n00b

Anyone know when the silver V4 will be back in stock at SFF labs?

30. XstreamHard

XstreamHard n00b

I was thinking about modifying my V2 to accommodate a 92 mm fan below the mainboard. With the older style flex riser that isn't possible probably because the cable goes downwards from the PCI-E slot on the GPU side and because of the bending radius would interfere with the fan. Does anybody (Dan?) know if the V4 riser is available separately as a spare part and how easily it would fit in a V2?

31. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

It has been available separately, but it's OOS right now.

32. D10S

D10S Limp Gawd

You don't need a new riser, you can see a lot of V2 with Fan below the mobo,
    please search in this thread...
    ...you can find a lot of usefull info, about fan and more ;)
    IMG_8233.jpg

Jspr and XstreamHard like this.
  33. XstreamHard

XstreamHard n00b

Yeah I didn't quite keep up with the thread for some time. Thanks. Just ordered a third A9x14 PWM (one for the PSU, one under the PSU and one under the Mobo)

D10S likes this.
  34. mirgus

mirgus Limp Gawd

Also 3M says the riser is foldable!

ZwGgEj8.png

D10S likes this.
  35. D10S

D10S Limp Gawd

Yes, the riser is not a problem,
    be very careful when screwing the motherboard,
    which will push on the fan,
    and make sure that the blades are free before power on!
    (y)

36. dyrdevil

dyrdevil n00b

Hey everyone,
    Sadly on a recent trip with my black V1 Dan case in a new bag one of my side panels was dented and the other one scratched quite badly.
    If anyone has side panels they're not using, please get in touch as I'd like to buy them.
    Also if anyone knows how I might order some from Dan successfully, I'd appreciate that too.

best,
    dyrdevil

37. promaty

promaty [H]Lite

Can anyone please post their results of 92mm fan under motherboard in push/pull configuration? I would like to know how this affects CPU and GPU temps, thanks.

38. PalaSicka

PalaSicka n00b

Hi, I will just repeat what I've already said somewhere else. After some research, I went straight for push config with vertical NOCTUA NH-L9i.

Setup:
    Motherboard: ASRock Z390M-ITX/AC - Intel Z390 (lame, I wanted a different one, made a wrong drop in a basket, but whatevs), still pretty good MB
    CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 - I didn't take 8700K on purpose, as the non-overclocked differences are negligible, but 8700 is way cooler and I don't plan to overclock or delid. I wanted to stay aircooled too.
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 AERO ITX 8G OC, 8GB GDDR5 - I could have fit a better one, again I didn't find the difference in the performance in anyway big enough.
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Grey 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 - Always Crucial!
    PSU: Originally I bought Fortron Dagger - 600W, but it was tooooo noisy so I swapped it for Corsair SW600 Platinum.
    SSD: ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro - Although I am not a fan of ADATA by far, love the performance and design for the price of this unit.
    FANs: Noctua NH-l9i and Noctua 92x92x14, as mentioned, I am returning the 25mm, cause I know it won't make any difference.
    +sanded fan duct

I am planning to get custom sleeve cables when the bracket is out, cause I believe it can heavily help with the airflow in the box - not for the CPU but for the other parts. At this moment, all the DAN A4 customsleeved are soldout.

I am on 54-59 degrees on average in Apex Legends max settings with peaks to max 72 degrees on the CPU and around 70 on the GPU, which is amazing achievement considering it was close to 80 in the open box in a hot day. My only concern is the top part of the box, where the temps of the alluminum and hence the environment gets easily over 60° so I can only guess what are the temperatures on parts, PSU and SSD. CPU and GPU has excellent temp performence and I don't believe you can get much better with NH-L9i
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These temps mostly ressamble open case scenario, so I don't think it can get any much better on a air flow.

39. DanielOS96

DanielOS96 n00b

Does the riser cable in the V4 support pcie 4.0?

40. RedSawn

RedSawn [H]Lite

So what are folks planning to cool their new Ryzen chips with? I'm looking at the 3700X or 3800X and L9a but I noted the fins would have to be horizontal. Probably not a big deal but makes me wonder if there's some temperature reduction to be gained there with an alternative air cooler that also doesn't ride the edge of the side panels to create that turbulence noise. Black Ridge probably won't be compatible with many X570i boards let alone the ASUS board I'm picking out. I kind of miss the arbitrary noise comparison graph on the thermal benchmark sheet.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019