DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. PalaSicka

PalaSicka n00b

Ok, so I've recieved the 120 mm AIO bracket today and a Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PLPS - 120mm PWM to fit in.

USING AIO BRACKET FOR A FAN

Why: The GPU and CPU temps are not an issue, but the case itself is a red burning devil, working as a heater, so I got lil bit worried about other parts than GPU/CPU which are not properly vented

Setup: Extension PWM cable coming from Motherboard spliting to the bottom 92 mm Noctua fan and the 120 mm bracket
    Main issue: the 120 mm fan-side sticks to the GPU heatsink, blocking the outcoming flow

Max temps without 120 mm: GPU 72° - CPU 72° in Apex Legends over time

1. INTAKE - The 120 mm oriented so the cable goes along side of the GPU
      - basically the cable blocked the GPU heatsink even more, choking it to death... temeprature raised slowly to 83°, then I stopped the test
      - obviously the PWM is not making it any favor, as the sensor checks the cooler CPU side and therefore doesn't increase the GPU cooling if needed
      - temps on CPU got surprisingly lower about 2 degrees
      - the case stayed cool, only on the IO bracket topside still around 60-75 degrees
    2. EXHAUST - The 120 mm using extension-to-extension and the wire oposite side from the GPU
      - much better temps on GPU, basically similar to "without bracket"
      - cooler side with the bracket
      - same temps on CPU as without bracket
      - heating top
      If this would be the case, there is absolutely no reason to have this fan there. Completely useless solution in my opinion
    3. INTAKE 2.0 - The 120 mm using extension-to-extension and the wire oposite side from the GPU
      - GPU temps similar to "without bracket"
      - CPU temps lower about 2 degrees
      - the case stayed cool, only on the IO bracket topside still around 60-75 degrees
    As for the installation, if you decide to go this way, prepare yoursefl for some serious puzzle solving and pain. This is a real struggle. First you need to chose the right fan. Noiseblocker BlackSilent is a great fan, but very hard to install, because it's meant for the case building, not a bracket building. "What's the difference" you may ask. In a deskop case, you have complete access to the bottom of the fan, where in DAN case, you only access is to the top of the fan. You should keep this in mind, cause there is very limited space to screw some bolts - especially when (like in my case) you have a noise-reducing rubbers on top and bottom. I had to flip the setup, use some washers and force the whole bracket-with-a-fan into the case.

This is another problem, because there is no chance you can put the bracket in without removing the GPU! You have to remove the GPU and then - at the best scenario, fit the bracket in on the side of the GPU with the use of the opening above GPU. Then you have to push it aaaall the way to the otherside, wiggling it up and down to avoid the raiser, the bolts which hold the plastic sheet, the sidepanel-holders... Be VERY careful, cause when you put the bracket inside, you will need to shift it and the bolts and nuts holding the 120 mm fan in place can easily !!!damage the GPU raiser!!! Trust me, there is not much space to wobble around.

This would be probably much better, if there is a +1 mm bigger opening on top. But it's not :D Touché
    hu4iypB.jpg

2. DaHans

DaHans n00b

Thanks for the big post.

Where did you get the bracket? At SFF Lab it says "free shiping" but in the cart it says "$20 for shipping" and tehre are also no dates for shipping.

3. aiphoenix

aiphoenix n00b

Do we know if this Zotac AMP will fit in the Dan A4? It has a kinda large backplate.

4. Tician

Tician n00b

From the PCIe bracket we can tell that height and width will fit for sure. I can;t find dimensions, but most likely the length is within the 295mm limit of the DAN A4.

5. PalaSicka

PalaSicka n00b

I'm sorry for late reply. I'm in Europe. Caseking.de had it.

6. ranker2

ranker2 n00b

I'm getting unexpected bad thermals and I'm not sure what the reason is. My thermals jumped up by over 15C. Where I was idling at 45C before (Ambient is 30-32C), I'm now idling at 50-60C.

i migrated from a Dan A4 v2 to a v4 and swapped out my pump from the 92mm Asetek 545LC to the 645LT. However, to my surprise, temps shot up through the roof. I swapped cases in hopes of getting better thermals with the added A9x14 under the motherboard tray. To my surprise and shock, my temps are now worse even with the fan and the new pump. Nothing else was changed other than swapping in Pslate custom unshielded PSU cables instead of Corsair stock ribbon cables.

Furthermore, I'm hearing a new whine/engine noise. I'm not sure if that's the turbulence from the added bottom fan or if that's how the 645LT is supposed to sound.

I'm at a loss on what may be the issue here:

Specs are

8700k delidded with aftermarket copper IHS

Asus Strix 370-i

Corsair LPX

Samsung 970 Pro 1TB

Corsair SF600 with Pslate custom cables

EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra Gaming

Thermal Grizzly Kryptonaut

7. myzhi1

myzhi1 n00b

I would say idle temps of 50-60 usually means the heatsink is not attached correctly, or with a AIO, there’s a problem with the water flow, either with pump or blockage somewhere.

8. Tician

Tician n00b

Try to remove and place your cooler back, could be bad contact.

9. ranker2

ranker2 n00b

What's everyone's delta between their motherboard temps and their CPU temps in HWMonitor?

In my Dan V4 + 8700k delidded + Asus STRIX 370-i + Asetek 645LT + 2 Noctua A9x14 92mm fans @ 2200RPMs

Idle
    Motherboard sensor = 37C
    CPU sensor = 44C

Gaming Load (Rainbow Six Siege)
    Motherboard sensor = 45C (52C Max)
    CPU sensor = 68C (82C Max)

Are these temperatures abnormal or normal?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 6:19 AM
  10. duke00

duke00 n00b

we need your fan rpm to the temps to say yes or no ^^

11. ranker2

ranker2 n00b

Both Noctua A9x14's spinning at 2200RPMS

12. DermicSavage

DermicSavage [H]ard|Gawd

So I'm really late to the party here, but I'm planning a new Ryzen build and see the A4 SFX is all out of stock now in the US. Is there a common schedule of production runs for this case?

13. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Buy it from Overclocker UK, from what I understand their shipping to the US is very fast.

14. DermicSavage

DermicSavage [H]ard|Gawd

Thank you! I have an order in with them now.

rfarmer likes this.