Damn 7820x is impressive (my own chip)

Man, this is freaking hilarious. I just installed the 7820 with monobloc. I didn't bother to relid yet, after I get a baseline. Anyhow, I throw it all back in, and I accidentally boot into Windoze instead going to bios first, doh. Then when its ready I get back to bios and setup a base oc, and setup the rest of the bios, pump pwm, etc etc. I boot back into Windoze, and lol its already setup with not one question mark in Device Manager. Downtime = zero, coming from the outgoing Z170 Skylake board. I love when that happens, of course I do have to wipe it and load a fresh one with the correct key later. But for now, booyah!

I had the same experience when I changed out my Z170 and 6700K for the 7820x I'm running now. You're going to love your new SKL-X.

7820x is really a monster that many realize. I love my CPU but best of all I absolutely adore my quad channel ram.

I am excired to see what the next gen drop in will perform like. But I am so happy I am not in a hurry by any means.

That is Impressive but I think the 7700k is plenty impressive to me still. coming from last intel stuff 1366, yeah monster upgrade. so the loop setup just run it for a year or two and stuff.
wait for some more cool stuff.

I had the same experience when I changed out my Z170 and 6700K for the 7820x I'm running now. You're going to love your new SKL-X.

Very cool, you too. Thanks.

Doh, found a bug or maybe its a bug with the MSI x299 Carbon. It cannot handle two RAID bios' at the same time. In other words if I want my Highpoint 3740a SAS RAID card's bios to load, I have to switch the SATA from RAID to AHCI. It took me a few freaking hours to figure out how this board behaved before figuring this bug out! /facepalm

If SATA is set to RAID, 3740a bios gets disabled, bad bad however the onboard SATA bios is loaded. If SATA is set to AHCI, then 3740a bios is loaded. There is never an instance when both SATA bios and 3740a bios is loaded one after the other, arghh!! The kicker is it took that long to figure out that even with SATA set to AHCI, the existing SATA RAID array is still enabled and in tact. Had I known this, I would not have had the SATA switched to RAID for so damn long lol. Thus now with SATA set to AHCI, I get my SSD RAID array and my RAID 6 array, both online. It only wasted a couple hours to realize this, freaking MSI.

I would raise my hand as a "me too" in wanting to see where the ram bandwidth helps. To be clear, this is just for my own edification, not an "I don't believe you".

Nothing real World as much, Dual is Plenty and where Latency can win out a lot in stuff.

Man, thank goodness my delidder came in the mail today. Just putting along in Prime w/o AVX divisors pegs the temps to 99c in no time. I guess its time to get medieval on the IHS. I might as well load win 7 and secure a free win 10 activation too.

I've seen this quip repeated regularly- can you provide evidence for the usefulness of quad-channel RAM over dual-channel RAM at DDR4-3000+?

It gets like 3 FPS more than Dual channel in some games. Isn't that what you're after with your 165Hz Gaming monitor :p ?

I'll take that as a no, then.

I can't, but I didn't make the comment about loving quad channel memory either. I picked up 4 sticks because I wanted 32GB and had a quad channel board <shrug>.

It's all about the raw bandwidth. Games generally don't take advantage of raw bandwidth which is why you don't see any benchmarks that show a significant difference in games. I would think that applications that would take advantage of the bandwidth (RAM disks, VM's, large number calculations, etc.) show improvement.

Here's an example using Prime95 where iteration times are some 60% faster with quad channel over dual channel. Once again, not going to help you with your 165Hz monitor, but not everyone who buys HEDT does so for the gaming benefit.

Last edited:
I actually do- photo editing, and potentially video editing and in the future compiling and VM use- however, none of those are a priority such that I'd compromise gaming performance for them, or spend extra to accelerate them over the already excellent consumer-grade performance I already have.

And that's where most of my arguments come from: for the majority of high-end consumers and gamers, going with more, slower cores on Ryzen loses, and spending more for HEDT doesn't gain enough.

Obviously 'majority' doesn't apply to many [H] users such as yourself, which I concede :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually do- photo editing, and potentially video editing and in the future compiling and VM use- however, none of those are a priority such that I'd compromise gaming performance for them, or spend extra to accelerate them over the already excellent consumer-grade performance I already have.

And that's where most of my arguments come from: for the majority of high-end consumers and gamers, going with more, slower cores on Ryzen loses, and spending more for HEDT doesn't gain enough.

Obviously 'majority' doesn't apply to many [H] users such as yourself, which I concede :D

This thread is about the 7820x and those who love it for whatever reason they find.

Its not about Ryzen and its not about discussing the need or not for quad channel ram.

Its not an argument for Threadripper vs. 7980xe. Its not a mother board thread or a gpu bashing seminar.

Its about the 7820x and those who are happy and impressed with its performance.

jFq4kOYl.jpg

I got a drop of 15c on average in P95 with avx. This thing is hot as hell, though not so much anymore. (y)

Nice

I'm so tempted to delid my 7820x.

How much did all of that cost you?

The Rockit 99 was 40 shipped (comes with relidder), add a tube of black silicone sealant, and a tube of CLU or other TIM. It could be 60 bucks all told. I already have the other bits from previous delids. My silicone actually dried out and I had to poke around to find some in the tube that wasn't dried out. If you're in or around Socal, I'll do it for you too or you can borrow my kit, etc. My process is as follows, clean off chip, peel back any sealant. Apply new sealant on top of old sealant on IHS, slap together and let sit for a few hours.

oKa0wcOl.jpg

F64retgl.jpg

eiXw8gFl.jpg

Did you put nail polish on the substrate in case of liq metal runoff?

Its not necessary but was just wondering.

I got about a 25c drop non avx and about the same as you with avx on. I wished more supported avx in the software world as we get avx512 on the 7820x whereas Coffee Lakes only have vanilla AVX.

Did you put nail polish on the substrate in case of liq metal runoff?

Its not necessary but was just wondering.

I got about a 25c drop non avx and about the same as you with avx on. I wished more supported avx in the software world as we get avx512 on the 7820x whereas Coffee Lakes only have vanilla AVX.

AVX support is super unlikely in consumer grade stuff. Figure at least 5 years or more until some may start to really use it, software developers are very slow to adopt anything new.

AVX support is super unlikely in consumer grade stuff. Figure at least 5 years or more until some may start to really use it, software developers are very slow to adopt anything new.

I was thinking it has potential to smoke current cpu video rendering and transcoding performance. Possibly even NVenc based encodes.

I do a crap ton of video work and am always looking for an edge. I enjoy my twin NVenc engines on the 1080ti but AVX just seemed like it has high potential.

But its cool we have the feature set on the 7820

Last edited:
Just wait until you get it delided...

3euKzUU.jpg

I noticed you're using an ancient Prime version. You can disable AVX by adding the line below to your local.txt file. This way you can use the latest version which will detect our cpu. (y)

CpuSupportsAVX=0

I noticed you're using an ancient Prime version. You can disable AVX by adding the line below to your local.txt file. This way you can use the latest version which will detect our cpu. (y)

CpuSupportsAVX=0
Yeah I too did that and there was like a 20 deg drop in temps. I even run a -2 multiplier on avx and a -3 on 512.

Just messing around, mild oc stock on the gpu and 5gighurtz on the cpu. lol, oops forgot no oc on gpu. It's just got the gains from power limit mod.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/24349032

Slight oc. Still have another 100mhz core 100mhz mem on the gpu left to go. Not bad, broke 11K score w/o breaking a sweat. This was pretty hard for my ole 4.9ghz Skylake to just break 10K score, like pulling teeth. lol

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/24349133

Last edited:
5.0Ghz?! Nice. :hungry: Mine crashes in Windows within seconds even at 4.8Ghz.

I think I got lucky. It does 5ghz w/o much sweat with volts around 1.318v. I didn't sink much time into trying 5.1 however that seems to be the drop off point for this chip. Regarding your chip, is your chip an early release chip or later, recent one? Just curious...

One thing though, when I was testing with Prime w/ AVX, the power draw numbers were fucking stupefying. I was seeing draws from the UPS nearing 750w. Like wtf? I'll have to spend some more time to figure that one out.

Has anyone else reading the thread gotten the chip and if so how are you liking it?

I am also curious of those peoples' opinions that have or had the 7820 and gotten a 7900. I was wondering if there was an appreciable performance difference between the two base on your personal perception? What about the 12 and 16 core parts as well?

Has anyone else reading the thread gotten the chip and if so how are you liking it?

I am also curious of those peoples' opinions that have or had the 7820 and gotten a 7900. I was wondering if there was an appreciable performance difference between the two base on your personal perception? What about the 12 and 16 core parts as well?

I am curious you were the one that said you could not put to use all those cores on the Threadripper system. Now you want a higher core count Intel so you can lose the clock speed you want? An 8 core is more then plenty for normal use and unless your using something that can use all those cores they are just going to waste for ya.

I am curious you were the one that said you could not put to use all those cores on the Threadripper system. Now you want a higher core count Intel so you can lose the clock speed you want? An 8 core is more then plenty for normal use and unless your using something that can use all those cores they are just going to waste for ya.

Oh not looking to upgrade or change. I have toyed with the idea of a 7980xe haha simply because I am driven to madness to have the best but I would derive ZERO benefit from it like you have mentioned as well. Nothing but feeling the madness of having useless extra cores haha

Was more curious of there was any noticable difference as a simple question to add to discussion. I am excellently pleased with the 7820x. Besides raw core count, the 7820x feels significantly snappier and faster than Threadripper in all but the most demanding video encoding operations of which I have committed to my GPUs mostly or my 8 core when I go to bed and let it run all night long.

Last edited:
I just knew you were happy with your 7820X so I was surprised to see you asking about the 10 core. Also you might want to wait and see how this latest Intel bug plays out first. Tho it does seem to hit IO tasks far harder then anything else. Glad your system is running good tho, I know I love my 1700X so far.

A lot of desktop apps don't know wtf to do with more than 8 cores, even the thready encoding apps like Handbrake. When I had a 1950x and afaik, tango too, most of the time you could not load TR up. Ppl would resort to running two instances of Handbrake for example just to watch the pretty cores get utilized. I think 8 core is the sweet spot, though I kind of miss the quicksync of CL.

I'm enjoying mine now that I have it stable at 4.7Ghz.

I thought about going TR, but I wanted higher IPC and single-threaded performance. I also wanted something to tackle any game for the next few years, and I think 8c/16t is probably the sweet spot. :smug:

Handbrake only uses 6 threads per thier own website.

High thread CPUs are a welcome edition but software lags behind.

Takes about 2 hrs to re-encode/shrink a 60gb 4k encode into a 12gb-ish mkv. Look at all them cores pegged. :eek:

LFH7dlK.jpg

Any reason you do not want to use your NVenc capability as it shows in that status window?

Less Quality encode?

Just curious and yea thats not really that bad at all in time for an 8 core. Shows the power of this processor for real.

Any reason you do not want to use your NVenc capability as it shows in that status window?

Less Quality encode?

Just curious and yea thats not really that bad at all in time for an 8 core. Shows the power of this processor for real.

It is using nvec, if it weren't this encode would take who knows how long... Technically nvec is not as good as cpu only decode/encode but fuck that, I don't have time to churn out 9.9 out of 10 quality level shrinks that take 6 hours to finish. I'll give up some detail to shrink a 1080p movie in 10 minutes. Mediacoder uses the cpu to decode and gpu to encode and that maximizes the hardware cutting down on time spent.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

This chip is good. I delidded it on Sunday and by Monday... got the fastest 7820x cpu score on Timespy Extreme cpu test. That's pretty impressive yea? This platform is stupid easy to oc, it's almost taken all the skill out of it. I don't even have to dick around with voltage anymore, just give a lil offset and done.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/3054582

Back