Cysis 2 DX11 and Sandbox Update

In a few more months it'll be a $15 bargain game on Steam. The sales figures on PC must be sucking horribly right now. Crytek had a rep of pushing the envelope and they did anything BUT push the envelope with this one.

Sales figures are sucking on almost all PC games right now.

Publishers are making damn sure of that.

What was the last PC game that was worth buying? DA:O?

Wonder how many of the naysayers will still download and try it....Oh yeah...all of them, as usual.

Got to love online "fronting" standing against da man, probably the same people who also "boycotted" mw2 for the pc and who "don't care" about HL2 Episode 3 anymore. Riiiight

Thank you! I rarely feel this phrase is justified, but so many people on this forum just seem downright butt-hurt over the whole thing. It's a game! Have fun and enjoy it. Think it sucks and don't feel it's worth your money; well, problem solved, don't buy it and move on.

It could be that actual contructive criticisms have an effect on how far they support patches and visual updates like this one.

I can't bash it too much, since I haven't played it, but some of their design choices had me scratching my head. If it ends up this patch makes the game look better, that's definitely one step.

I doubt I'd ever pay full retail for the game, but if it ends up being a better game than it is, I will be watching for a decent sale and will buy the game. I'm not opposed to $24.99

Anyone performance benches around yet? If this'll be smooth on a single 460 I'm buying next week.

DX11 patch or not, if/when it comes back to steam, and hits the sub $20 mark, I will prolly pick it up. Same goes for DNF.

I'll say that I find it awesome that the company is adding things after the release. I wish I understood how they used their development resources so that it would not feel like a gimped version to push console sales, but as long as they are adding and improving the game after release I am happy.

As for the Update itself, it does seem a bit underwhelming. While it is nice to have it out, I look at it and go "meh, would have been better to have this on release." While the screens do show nice improvements to things such as transparency, lighting and textures, they are still just a but underwhelming, and not things that I feel are must-haves.

It could be that actual contructive criticisms have an effect on how far they support patches and visual updates like this one.

I can't bash it too much, since I haven't played it, but some of their design choices had me scratching my head. If it ends up this patch makes the game look better, that's definitely one step.

I doubt I'd ever pay full retail for the game, but if it ends up being a better game than it is, I will be watching for a decent sale and will buy the game. I'm not opposed to $24.99

And if it's constructive that's great, but the only thing I hear on a lot of these forums is whining.

I agree, a lot of the design choices weren't great - especially the way they made the levels more linear. But, I do think the game play has been vastly improved thanks to the new nano suit.

Was DX11 support promised by Crytek for the release of the game?

I don't understand why Crysis 2 gets bashed so much, and I'm not even a fan of Crytek or their past games either. Crytek and Crysis 2 seem to get way too much hate, especially if you compare how things turned out to say Gearbox and DNF.

Are you saying Crysis 1 at its lowest graphics settings looks better than Crysis 2? Can someone else corroborate this?

when you take things out of games you get bashed

crysis 1 dx10 -> crysis 2 dx9 = bash

mw1 dedicated servers -> mw2 no dedicated servers = bash

Ill probably pick this up now that its down to $40 and the DX11 patch is out. I was disappointed in the snub we got from Crytek but I still want to play the game. I am a big fan of the 1st one so I should enjoy this one and the screenshots do look pretty good.

I just wish the download link was live now, been looking forward to this patch since day one. But I'm glad that Crytek didn't fully abandon the PC gaming market though,

what?...we have to separately download all of these different packages to get DX11 support?...why make it so complicated?...why not just issue another patch?

^ I imagine they will probably be very large, so a standard patch might be overkill for some people that don't really care about the update.

^ I imagine they will probably be very large, so a standard patch might be overkill for some people that don't really care about the update.

Well DX9 users don't need DX11, so they can save on DL time and space by only DLing the texture pack.

Well DX9 users don't need DX11, so they can save on DL time and space by only DLing the texture pack.

it mentions some optimization with the dx9 API that comes with the dx11 patch as well. but of course doesn't mention what those optimizations are and if they are worth anything.

"The DX11 Ultra Upgrade is a free visual improvement add-on introducing DirectX 11 support as well as a wealth of graphical improvements and performance optimization for both DX11 and DX9 API's."

what?...we have to separately download all of these different packages to get DX11 support?...why make it so complicated?...why not just issue another patch?

you don't need to download both. like worldexclusive mentioned you can download both or just one of them. for dx11 you only need the dx11 patch you don't need the high res addon with it for it to work. it's a separate addon.

are the download links working?...nothing happens when I click them...so the DX11 page is not official yet?

the High-Res Texture pack works for both DX9 and DX11 which is nice but it requires a 64-bit OS...I'm sure that will piss some people off

My crappy PC runs every mutliplatform game fine except Crysis 2, so it can't be that bad of a console port ("Press Start to Begin" aside).

you don't need to download both. like worldexclusive mentioned you can download both or just one of them. for dx11 you only need the dx11 patch you don't need the high res addon with it for it to work. it's a separate addon.

for those with DX11 cards and those wanting the best image quality it looks like both packages are necessary...just having Tessellation alone without the High-Res Texture pack would not make sense

"This high resolution textures package provides higher textures resolution for a wide variety of assets. It supports both the DirectX 11 and DirectX 9 versions of Crysis 2"

Last edited:
Soo...links still dead? Gotta admit that is pretty goddamn stupid, not even an acknowledgement on the page saying, "Hey we're aware, working on the issue of us being so dumb as to put up a brand new page that doesn't work from the get-go." :rolleyes:

Wait and see guys wait and see. Atleast they're still supporting the game with new additions than ship it and forget it. That's why I love Valve TF2 :)

when you take things out of games you get bashed

crysis 1 dx10 -> crysis 2 dx9 = bash

mw1 dedicated servers -> mw2 no dedicated servers = bash

So people would rather bash a better game with better support simply because it had high expectations/standards versus a worse game with worse support that has low expectations/standards? I'd think objectively you should support (or bash less really) the game and company that provides better support.

Soo...links still dead? Gotta admit that is pretty goddamn stupid, not even an acknowledgement on the page saying, "Hey we're aware, working on the issue of us being so dumb as to put up a brand new page that doesn't work from the get-go." :rolleyes:

Not working yet. The page probably wasn't meant to be found quite yet, as there are no direct links from Crytek or EA to that page. There's not even a link on Mycrysis's main page.

So people would rather bash a better game with better support simply because it had high expectations/standards versus a worse game with worse support that has low expectations/standards? I'd think objectively you should support (or bash less really) the game and company that provides better support.

right releasing an incomplete game after promising it was going to have dx11.. the fact that they consolized a PC GAME for profit after saying they wouldn't compromise the PC version of the game.. sorry this isn't support this is just them releasing something that should of been part of the game from the first beginning. they deserve what ever bashing they get. some people after spending 120+ dollars on cryteks games which had garbage ass support are sick of this crap. they never fixed the original crysis and they nurfed the heck out of the crysis war's. why should any one be happy about dropping 60 dollars on an incomplete game? luckily i wasn't one of those people and only had to pay 30 dollars for the maximum edition crap. but if i was one of those that dropped full price on the original two games i'd be pissed too.

Not working yet. The page probably wasn't meant to be found quite yet, as there are no direct links from Crytek or EA to that page. There's not even a link on Mycrysis's main page.

lol, its all your fault WorldExclusive :p

Not directing this at the OP but, who gives a shit?

I do. This means the game will be worth it when I finally buy it at 30 bucks or so.

Edit: Just remembered the game isn't even on steam anymore and EA is pulling that Origins shit with this game. Now I don't want to buy it again at any price. Oh well.

right releasing an incomplete game after promising it was going to have dx11.. the fact that they consolized a PC GAME for profit after saying they wouldn't compromise the PC version of the game.. sorry this isn't support this is just them releasing something that should of been part of the game from the first beginning. they deserve what ever bashing they get. some people after spending 120+ dollars on cryteks games which had garbage ass support are sick of this crap. they never fixed the original crysis and they nurfed the heck out of the crysis war's. why should any one be happy about dropping 60 dollars on an incomplete game? luckily i wasn't one of those people and only had to pay 30 dollars for the maximum edition crap. but if i was one of those that dropped full price on the original two games i'd be pissed too.

To re-explain, I'm not defending Crytek or Crysis 2. I am actually one of those not particularly interested in the company or the series. For example I asked whether or not Crytek specifically promised DX11 as a feature, as I was not following the game to an extreme extent prior to release. I have no real interest in supporting them or the game out of loyalty/fandom. I've even commented before when discussing engines, prior to the games release, that people were having false expectations and not pay attention to the higher numbered suffix affixed to the end of Cryengine.

What I'm questioning is whether or not the game and company deserve the negativity to the degree being expressed. Especially when it seems other companies/games have released worse products and even without this type of post release support that seem to receive less flak from the gaming community. Maybe Nvidia paid them to do this (as part of their marketing deal), and we can throw some kudos their way if it comes to that, but at the moment it seems like they are at least doing more so than many other developers in addressing post release support. And the graphics were still very good at release from what I've seen compared to contemporary, despite the criticism.

Crytek is doing good with their post-game support...but the fact is that they misled people into thinking that the game would ship with DX11 support...if I had known that it was DX9 only I would have waited a few more months and gotten the game cheaper with the DX11 patch

To re-explain, I'm not defending Crytek or Crysis 2. I am actually one of those not particularly interested in the company or the series. For example I asked whether or not Crytek specifically promised DX11 as a feature, as I was not following the game to an extreme extent prior to release. .

I don't really remember whether DX11 was promised or not, but I'm pretty sure damn near everyone expected at least DX10, seeing as how Crysis used it in 2007.

Nvidia, who worked directly with Crytek during Crysis 2's development, said that DX11 would be available at launch. I don't remember Crytek themselves ever confirming that though.

Nvidia, who worked directly with Crytek during Crysis 2's development, said that DX11 would be available at launch. I don't remember Crytek themselves ever confirming that though.

Nvidia even had a GTX 580 Crysis 2 DX11 page if I remember correctly

Fuck Crytek.. they bent over and took it in the ass for the console market... they abandon the PC market... and therefore.. the PC market has abandon them... too little, too late..:mad:

not a problem for most but 32 bit user are SOL? Why is this 64bit only if dx11 isn't exclusive like that?

Only the high-resolution texture patch will require 64bit. The DX11 patch itself mentions no such restriction.

Last edited:
not a problem for most but 32 bit user are SOL? Why is this 64bit only if dx11 isn't exclusive like that?

Probably because it needs to utilize more memory. They recommend 1gb at minimum if you're using a 32bit you're limited to 3.25gb w/o PAE. So if your game is using 1-2gb of memory that doesn't leave much for the OS. Just a guess.

Back