Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse

Well to me a small movement when picking the mouse up is no issue as I personally never pick the mouse up, so it be fine for me. I'm thinking I might go for the 5 instead of 7 because I don't really need a pinkie rest, and I'm sure the movement on the thumb rest would just losen in time on the 7 but as the 5 is fixed in place this is no problem. Also getting it from Argos means that if I do encounter any problems that I can't put up with I can just take it back and refund as faulty?

I'm just wondering does the 5 and 7 both use the same twin eye laser? Everywhere I look only the 7 is mentioned to have the twin eye sensor? And what cheap mouse mat would anyone recommend for this mouse? At the moment I just use my desk for my nice £2 asda mouse :p Thanks guys

The RAT 5 is going to be £55 from argos, compared to the RAT 7 at £67

Last edited:
After many experiments and driver reinstalls and registry tweaks, I think I found the source of the drifting. A standing fan across the room.

With the fan spinning on low about 8 feet away, after a few minutes the mouse cursor on my RAT 7 will start to drift. That's ridiculous. The sensor on the 7 is insanely sensitive.

Even though the drift is gone (as long as there is no light breeze in the area), the mouse cursor still jumps around slightly when I click the mouse buttons, and it still occasionally gets "stuck" moving horizontally.

Pretty sure that's just the design, with the relatively open path to the sensor from the sides and front.

It's summer and I kind of need the fan. So I'm going with a G700 until winter, when I'll break out the RAT 7 again. Or maybe give it to my brother. I'm past the 15 day window for a return and I don't think this mouse is defective, just incompatible with California summer. :)

Is the fan on the same surface as the R.A.T.? It will pick up vibrations so I'm wondering if that's what's going on here, rather than it being the actual airflow that's causing it.

@burgergetsbored the 5 does use a Twin Eye sensor too - it's the previous version from the one used in the 7, hence the lower maximum DPI.

Is the fan on the same surface as the R.A.T.? It will pick up vibrations so I'm wondering if that's what's going on here, rather than it being the actual airflow that's causing it.

@burgergetsbored the 5 does use a Twin Eye sensor too - it's the previous version from the one used in the 7, hence the lower maximum DPI.

Ah damnit, is the one in the 5 supposed to have less problems than the 7? Most complaints on here seem to be from RAT 7, but maybe that's just because it's a more popular model? I can't say I need the DPI increase from the 5 to the 7.

After many experiments and driver reinstalls and registry tweaks, I think I found the source of the drifting. A standing fan across the room.

With the fan spinning on low about 8 feet away, after a few minutes the mouse cursor on my RAT 7 will start to drift. That's ridiculous. The sensor on the 7 is insanely sensitive.

Even though the drift is gone (as long as there is no light breeze in the area), the mouse cursor still jumps around slightly when I click the mouse buttons, and it still occasionally gets "stuck" moving horizontally.

Pretty sure that's just the design, with the relatively open path to the sensor from the sides and front.

It's summer and I kind of need the fan. So I'm going with a G700 until winter, when I'll break out the RAT 7 again. Or maybe give it to my brother. I'm past the 15 day window for a return and I don't think this mouse is defective, just incompatible with California summer. :)

sounds more like poor electromagnetic shielding

sounds more like poor electromagnetic shielding

That would affect the Cyborg but not a Logitech, which works flawlessly regardless of a fan blowing from 8 feet away?

I dunno, it's possible. I guess?

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate the direct response. I've never heard back from Cyborg email support nor have I been able to get through on the phone.

My guess is that the fan is blowing dust into the sensor or something. Maybe it's vibration? I don't know for sure, other than that this is the first mouse I've ever had that could be affected in such a way.

I'm just finding that the RAT 7 is a bit too sensitive to rather normal outside interference for me. A fan or speakers really shouldn't have such a detrimental gameplay effect, especially when the Logitech sensor never seems to have a problem.

It's a fantastic design and I love how it feels, but I guess it's just not practical for me right now. My desk area is for all intents and purposes spotless, and ever since I started having these issues with the RAT 7 I've been blasting the mouse and pad with compressed air ... it hasn't helped.

Oh well.

I had drifting and sticking problems with my rat. the two things I did that fixed it are I dont run the drivers I just run the win drivers. second I put down clear contact paper on my desk instead of a mouse pad. the texture seens great for the mouse as it is nearly flawless now.

Nice to see that the precision aim button can now be programmed to what ever you want! Just wondering before I buy this mouse to try it out, can I program the horizontal scroll wheel to horizontal scroll in photoshop? (ctrl, scroll-wheel)

Nice to see that the precision aim button can now be programmed to what ever you want! Just wondering before I buy this mouse to try it out, can I program the horizontal scroll wheel to horizontal scroll in photoshop? (ctrl, scroll-wheel)

really?? is it with the update of the new drivers?

My replacement finally arrived. It took 30 days total after first email (and form) submission. It took two weeks to the day to get a reply, thanks to Madcatz Rich escalating my email. I appreciate that Rich posts on several forums, but Madcatz really needs expand their CS.

I noticed on my replacement, that the grommet for the laser hole isn't circular. It's partially filled in, like this. (my camera is terrible, so its MSPaint time)

Rat7eye.png

I'm curious if it'll help the tracking loss problems.

My replacement finally arrived. It took 30 days total after first email (and form) submission. It took two weeks to the day to get a reply, thanks to Madcatz Rich escalating my email. I appreciate that Rich posts on several forums, but Madcatz really needs expand their CS.

I noticed on my replacement, that the grommet for the laser hole isn't circular. It's partially filled in, like this. (my camera is terrible, so its MSPaint time)

Rat7eye.png

The one I bought has the same notch in the laser eye, and I had a lot of tracking problems. Dunno if the design change is meant to help that issue.

Rat7eye.png

According to this link it's a new addition, and fixes Z tracking issues:

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1083753-The-Cyborg-RAT-9-actually-worth-buying

The question I'm having is, will argos have the new version as I'm guessing they just keep old stock until it sells. I don't really want to buy direct from madcatz, as it's much much easier to return a mouse to argos if I dislike it, or have the tracking problems? Tar.

Hi Everyone

Just bought my RAT 9 and have had nothing but difficulty from the get go.

I followed the (brief) instructions and inserted the disc, plugged in the receiver, installed everything. All my indications on my computer said it was all installed correctly. But i had no lights on the receiver indicating that the battery was charging/charged (but i did have the red light on the left showing connection).

After much fiddling i got the receiver working (with the latest drivers from the website and some registry changes) and i plugged the battery in and got the green light (which is supposed to show a fully charged battery). I performed a system restart and when my PC comes back on i get the original problem... no charging light indicators. I deleted drivers and repeated the process and again got the chargling lights back. I didnt restart the system this time, but i left it overnight to allow the battery to charge.

I wake up to a blue screen of death (cant say it was related to the RAT 9 in any way, but has never happened to me before). And when i restart, yep, no battery lights.

I guess im looking to anyone who has any idea of what is going on. I am assuming this is a drivers issue (Im running windows 7 64-bit) but i cant confirm if it is only a drivers issue. I put the battery in the mouse (after it has been charging for a significant time) and flick the switch to on and there is no activity in the mouse, no lights on or anything. Im trying to work out if this is because it is not actually connecting to the receiver or there is actually no power in the batteries

Anyone with any tips i would be very grateful...

Thanks

ViRu5

Hi Everyone

Just bought my RAT 9 and have had nothing but difficulty from the get go.

I followed the (brief) instructions and inserted the disc, plugged in the receiver, installed everything. All my indications on my computer said it was all installed correctly. But i had no lights on the receiver indicating that the battery was charging/charged (but i did have the red light on the left showing connection).

After much fiddling i got the receiver working (with the latest drivers from the website and some registry changes) and i plugged the battery in and got the green light (which is supposed to show a fully charged battery). I performed a system restart and when my PC comes back on i get the original problem... no charging light indicators. I deleted drivers and repeated the process and again got the chargling lights back. I didnt restart the system this time, but i left it overnight to allow the battery to charge.

I wake up to a blue screen of death (cant say it was related to the RAT 9 in any way, but has never happened to me before). And when i restart, yep, no battery lights.

I guess im looking to anyone who has any idea of what is going on. I am assuming this is a drivers issue (Im running windows 7 64-bit) but i cant confirm if it is only a drivers issue. I put the battery in the mouse (after it has been charging for a significant time) and flick the switch to on and there is no activity in the mouse, no lights on or anything. Im trying to work out if this is because it is not actually connecting to the receiver or there is actually no power in the batteries

Anyone with any tips i would be very grateful...

Thanks

ViRu5

Man that sucks. I don't have any advice other than to say what isnt helpful: return it and get the RAT 7, nothing to worry about since it's wired (no need of batteries or connection issues)

Man that sucks. I don't have any advice other than to say what isnt helpful: return it and get the RAT 7, nothing to worry about since it's wired (no need of batteries or connection issues)

Yea, i thought of this but my worry is, what if it is a driver issue? Then ill have the same problems but with a wire!

Im currently trying this mouse out on another PC, with windows 7 32-bit to see if i have any luck there

Had my RAT 7 mouse since christmas. No problems at all except Z axis issue. Just found the march driver, hopefully this will help. Turned mouse on its back, took 0 seconds to sync after 30 second pointed at noting. Hard black rough surface mousepad too but will see how it works in game tomorrow.

Snagged this today. My Mamba is driving me crazy with losing connection to the base in wireless mode.

So far so good. I read you couldn't assign the "snipe" button...It assigns a key/macro no problem. 3 thumb buttons is nice.

Have left the mouse in default mode transformer wise...Felt good as is. Not nearly as comfortable as my Mamba though.

Will decide to keep in a couple days.

Brought the mouse back. It really is an uncomfortable mouse. The thumb buttons IMO are too far back. I have bigger hands and still had to roll my thumb to hit the the thumb button closer to my palm. The snipe button was in easy reach though.

The thumb buttons themselves...metal with edges :confused: Ya that was conducive to long gaming sessions. My thumb still hurts!

Didn't care for the slope of the mouse either. Never got comfortable with pressing the left/right buttons in the middle of the mouse if that makes sense.

Overall I am just too used to the Deathadder/Mamba shapes I believe.

I recently bought this mouse the Cyborg 7 from Best Buy. They had a sale for $74.99, figured it would be a decent chance to try it out. I played with the mouse and loved the feel of it, coming from the Logitech G9x, I liked the flat feeling over the taller moused.

But I really noticed that the tracking of the Cyborg was off. I'm not sure how to describe this but when I try to make a circle with the mouse, it would come out very notchy. I tested this with the G9x with no problems.

I also found this with some other mouses I used in the past, I think it's mostly due to the sensor rather than the mouse and maybe some people don't notice it but it was annoying.

So I'm going to stick with the G9x, as it's been a great mouse.

I have a R.A.T 3 and i love it, but the thing is mega sensitive if i set it at 1000 DPI, so i keep it a hair under that.

Bought my RAT5 a couple days ago from argos but noticed it doesn't have the semi circle notch thing over the sensor, just a black ring instead. Does this mean anything ? As I've seen a few people online saying they have it on theirs and it improved tracking? Thanks!

I've had my Rat^5 for about 4 months now, and it's been a great mouse! Admittedly i have not gamed much using it, just Portal 2, and some FEAR 2, but i've not had a single problem with it. Probably one of the best mice i've used, and a great upgrade from my aging MX518!

Sorry have a RAT5 not 3, i suggest around 1000 DPI and its not that sensitive, also does anyone elses just jump to the top to the screen from time to time? i got the latest drivers and such.

im sure the 5 only has 1 laser.

if you look at their website the 7
says 5600 DPI - Featuring a new generation 'twin eye' laser sensor that reads each axis separately for pinpoint accuracy, the R.A.T. 9 tracks up to a stunning 6 meters per second. Pro gamers who favor low sensitivity with high movement speed preferences will always experience correct tracking and precision.

rat 5
4000 DPI – Featuring a new-generation laser sensor with pinpoint accuracy, the R.A.T. 5 is truly ahead of the game.

Oh and they also have an "albino" version now even more DPI ( still twin eye)

http://cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7albino.htm

Ive tried both the rat 5 and rat 7. They could have made the perfect mouse if it wasnt for the crappy phillips twin eye on the 7.

The rat 5 i found really good for tracking (only 1 laser) and felt it was built almost exactly as the 7 but without the thumb adjustment and the extra pinky and palm rests you get with 7.

so to sum up the rat 7 would fit my hand perfect (adujsted thumb rest and added pinky wing) but had the familiar problems associated with the twin laser setup.

the rat 5 tracked perfect but I couldnt get my thumb to feel comfy (back and forward button bit of a strech) and my pinky finger drags a little on desk (no wing attachment on 5)

I would recommend the rat 5 but if they sold the accessory kit and allowed thumb adjustment it would be perfect.

or just make the 7 without the damn twin laser.........

I still love my 5 ;)

Had it for....... sheesh, like 5-6 months now.

No problems whatsoever, and I have big hands and can reach all buttons properly with no issues.

Works in all applications just fine, really works well for games too.

Black Ops, League of Legends, Bad Company 2, MineCraft

I HAVE A MOUSE RAT 7, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE MOUSE AND IS THAT BLOCKS x-axis and wanted to know if anyone else has this happened AND IF solution, thanks

Usually when this occurs it's due to something getting in the way of the sensor - either a speck of dust or a fine hair/fibre getting stuck to the PTFE foot around the sensor. Give the sensor and the foot a good clean and see if that helps.

Just got my replacement feet and batteries ( my batteries were down to 5 hours :( )

Good news.
I installed the first fully charged battery @ 7.25pm last night.
and between getting my zbrush r2 activation and battlefield early beta key in the mail I have gone all night till 7:45am this morning!

Over 12 hours on this generation batteries! :D
testing the second battery now.

im sure the 5 only has 1 laser.

Ive tried both the rat 5 and rat 7. They could have made the perfect mouse if it wasnt for the crappy phillips twin eye on the 7.

so to sum up the rat 7 would fit my hand perfect (adujsted thumb rest and added pinky wing) but had the familiar problems associated with the twin laser setup.

or just make the 7 without the damn twin laser.........

Does the newest RAT 7 and & Albino not have the half moon fix for the twin eye?
Are we talking about z issue? If so the RAT 9 with the fix has no issues ( ie: I have never had a mouse that z tracked better. )

Find it hard to believe the rest of the line is not now taking advantage of the solution. Is there any other issues with the phillips?

Just got my replacement feet and batteries ( my batteries were down to 5 hours :( )

Good news.
and between getting my zbrush r2 activation and battlefield early beta key in the mail I have gone all night till 7:45am this morning!

Where did you get you batteries from? Ive had my RAT 9 now for a few months & have noticed my batteries dont hold a charge any where near what they used to.

Good news.

impressing...! what's the name of the brand?

any news on albino's release date?

Got my R.A.T. 7 last week on Tuesday and I muse say I like it better than my Cooler Master Storm Sentinel Advanced. The CMSSA didn't have the pinky support that I was looking for where as the R.A.T. 7 does a great job of supporting my pinky through long gaming sessions.

One problem I did find with the R.A.T. 7 is that if you fully tilt the thumb rest outwards you can't have the palm rest all the way forward.

Another problem is that the base of the mouse is not big enough to support resting of your palm on the mouse. If you rest your palm on the mouse the front constantly lifts off my mouse pad and adding the weights magnifies this problem tremendously.

I would suggest bringing the base as far back as the end of the hex tool when screwed in. This would add more stability to mouse palmers.

I would have preferred a more curvy pinky rest. Considering that the mouse has curves else where it kind of doesn't make that much sense to have a edgy pinky rest like that.

I currently use a DPI setting of 5600 and I turned down the sensitivity of Windows and my games to get a nice feeling cursor movement.

I'm also having a problem with my thumb Internet Back button. I've contacted customer support about this problem.

Back