Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse

So, I gather yall would recommend getting the Rat^3 instead of the other models due to the sensor issue? I am kinda looking for a modern replacement for my aging mx518. Suggestions on the Rat^series?

i dont have any issues with my rat 7.... been gaming away...

Hmm, so what about all these posts about the sensor; and it's obviously different starting at the Rat^5. Given the fact that I don't do anything hard core anymore, no CSS, or COD. I play a HL Mod, Starcraft, FEAR2, Portal, etc etc, slightly casual games that aren't casual. Is going to Rat5 worth it over the 3, given the costs?

Do you pick up your mouse ever, or really see no problems with the higher rats?

while having all the bells and whistles are nice and all, but i'm looking for reliability, durability, and performance.

Just a report after three months of RAT 7.

As a reference, I bought it from Amazon for $70.

Let's just say that all these posts in this thread are not for nothing.

At first the RAT worked well. Especially unlike what some people have claimed, it worked on the Rocketfish dual side mouse pad. I use the control side. The lifting issue did exist, but lifting is not something I do often in games, at least not during a gun fight. Plus, it's not just RAT, but all Twin-Eye sensors, so I was not complaining much.

Starting a week or two ago, the locking issue became a headache. Just as others described it, the mouse would only work on one axis, sometimes x, sometimes y, and the locking would continue for as long as 30 seconds. I tried to clean the sensor, but that did not help. I did not contact support since many people have tried and failed to get an answer or solution. This issue would impact anyone, whether gaming or not. It is getting very annoying indeed.

I would not recommend against this mouse, but to people interested in this mouse: please consider the possible issues that are very likely to happen. I like the design, the customization, and to an extent the precision of this mouse, but such problems should not happen on a product that costs $70 or more.

Heck, such problems should not even happen on a $5 mouse. In fact I've never seen a $5 mouse with problems like these.

Last edited:
RAT 9 HELP!!

Hey Guys, I have a rat 9 i bought second hand, i was working fine 3 weeks ago, i went on vacation, came back yesterday, plugged it in my laptop but it wont turn on, I let the batter charge for a bit, swap batter let it charge, but its doing nothing the mouse isnt turning on. the reciever shows the one red light only.

any suggestions guy thanks.

Last edited:
I tried to clean the sensor, but that did not help.
The hitting the wall problem is due to the laser for that axis not being able to acquire tracking on the surface you're using - this is usually because something is getting in the way and the laser is focusing on that instead of the surface.

What did you use to clean the sensor? We recommend a cotton bud, ideally dipped in some IPA (Isopropynol Alcohol, not India Pale Ale ;)) solution, but water will do if you don't have any IPA.

@hastyle

Does switching the power button on the underside of the R.A.T. a couple of times not make any difference? Just wondering if that's been nudged so that it's not on...

Yes, in fact, that's exactly what I did.

But seriously, after all these reports, you guys should really consider a different sensor in future products or even revisions now.

But seriously, after all these reports, you guys should really consider a different sensor in future products or even revisions now.

Agreed, I don't see why manufacturers continue to use this sensor. Tracking performance shouldn't be sacrificed for DPI.

I would be extremely eager to send in my mouse to be revised so it doesn't have these sensor problems.

RAT 9 owners, do u guys remove 2nd battery from the receiver once its fully charged? does it matter if u just leave it in ?

thanks.

I upgraded from a Logitech MX 518 to a RAT 7 about 6 months ago. It was a bit of a leap of faith, because I'd seen some less than glowing feedback about the mouse on here; but I'm glad I decided to go ahead and buy one.

My RAT 7 has always been well balanced - none of the "wobble" I've seen reported elsewhere in this thread. I'm not sure if that's a problem that's still being experienced with newer units; or if it was limited to earlier builds, that apparently were missing the Teflon foot under the thumb rest of the mouse. Mine was built after they'd addressed this issue.

I've only experienced the tracking error where one axis "locks up" once, and this only lasted for a few seconds. I think I lifted the mouse and put it back down, and it worked fine again. The sensor's had its fair share of criticism, but I haven't noticed any real problems with it. I've been playing mainly FPS games, and it performs really well.

Before buying the RAT, I'd already bought a Cyborg V.5 gaming surface from the same manufacturer, so I thought I'd probably have the benefit of using the mouse a surface it had been tested on if I ever needed tech support. If you're thinking of buying a RAT, or already have one and are looking for a surface it will perform well on; I'd suggest getting the V.5 pad.

There is one negative thing I think I should point out, judging from my experience... Those two screws on the sides of the mouse - one on the thumb rest, and one on the pinkie grip - are prone to corrosion.

Hands have a tendency to sweat, and the screws are in constant contact with your skin; so you'd think that on a reasonably high-end product like this, Mad Catz could have made them out of something that wouldn't rust. It's an unwelcome blemish on what is otherwise a quality peripheral...

RAT 9 owners, do u guys remove 2nd battery from the receiver once its fully charged? does it matter if u just leave it in ?

thanks.

You can leave the battery in - once it's reached full charge the charger will stop sending current to it.

I tried the Rat7 because of the pinky platform, so I'm not dragging my pinky all over the mouse pad. Well I finally got it adjusted to my hand & usage style, which took awhile due to the large amount of adjustments & the pinky platform just isn't comfortable. Plus Cat 11.5 caused the cursor to lag in the center of my screen, had to spin rat7 around a few times to get the cursor to move, so I switched back to my Naos 5000.

Has anyone had the experience with this mouse on the rocketfish mouse pad that it sounds horrible after about 2 weeks? Like its dragging on the mouse pad like the feet have worn down which they havent.

Well i settled on the Rat^5 because it made the most economical sense. It's pretty nice, and i'm glad i bought it; a few days and no problems at all.

But... anyone else having trouble downloading the drivers and or software off Saitek's site? I emailed support, but it's been a few and no word from them. Anyone know where else one would be able to get it?

What mouse pad do you guys use? I've had better luck dragging out my old Func F30.R to use instead of my Ratpadz. It still loses tracking periodically, not matter how clean I try to keep the laser hole.

Ive had a RAT 9 now for about a week & I love this mouse. It replaced a G700. This was one of the few purchases where I feel the money was well spent.

I've had mine since launch and so far its been a pleasure using it. Only complaint is the software is lacking in customization or too complicated to get going correctly. I got some of the shortcut macros configured and working correctly and stopped working after a reboot. The locking in 1 axis is annoying but it happens rarely, and usually just a quick blow into the sensor fixes it immediately. Other than that, the rubber frame holds up pretty well and doesn't wear out compared to some of the plastic mice out there. Now if only they made a keyboard with the same material so that the keys dont wear out and become smooth...

I just bought this mouse had it for almost a week.

Well so far there is nothing that I don't like about it. When adjusting the angle of the right side, the mouse remains stable no wobbling like I've seen on some you tube reviews. Also when I click the left clicker fast the cursor doesn't move at all, however on some youtube video it did. The mouse went a wall on me during far cry 2 however it appeared to be the game because the mouse worked fine right after. So my big question of the century is ... why am I not having these problems??

What sold me on this mouse is the aim button and on the fly sensitivity customizable adjustments. They're instant no lag or anything.

After all these reviews I almost returned it was going to exchange it for a Razer, however I decided to test how the razers on the fly sensitivity works on my friends computer. He's got the DeathAdder, I've setup the two buttons on the right to increase and decrease sensitivity. And here a big downfall in my opinion, everytime I would increase or decrease the mouse would pause for few seconds .... not so on the fly is it. Does anyone know if that's a normal feat of a Razer or if maybe it was something done wrong on me during the setup? I was considering the Razer Lacheis 5600DPI laser mouse, found that mouse also had a problem locking in 1 axis, however cleaning the the sensor with a qtip solved the problem, is dirt a common problem with laser mice? I never had to clean my optical mouse for over 5 years, never had any axis get stuck? I'm a little new to laser mice wondering if maybe I should go back to hight performance optical instead?

I have the R.A.T. 5.

Aside from *nix issues, I love it.

If anyone has a pinky wing from a 7/9 they'd be willing to trade for a flat piece off of a 5, let me know. I'd be willing to just buy it as well.

Has anyone had to RMA their mouse yet? It looks like the laser of mine has completely died. I'm curious what I can expect for the speed and ease of the RMA process.

It's been 3 days, and I have not received a reply from Madcatz. I emailed [email protected] (only contact given on Cyborg's site) and tried PM Rich on here.

I'd really like a replacement, because my backup isn't very good. Any suggestions who I can contact?

Here's the Cyborg 5 next to my Razer Abyssus:

IMG_20110723_121547-1.jpg

I thought the 5 would be bigger. It's definitely a change in feel from any other mouse I've tried. I'll give it a workout over the weekend to see if it's a keeper.

There is now way in hell that I would spend this kind of money on any Mad Catz product. I've used their shitty controllers in the past. The last thing that company cares about is quality and reliability.

There is now way in hell that I would spend this kind of money on any Mad Catz product. I've used their shitty controllers in the past. The last thing that company cares about is quality and reliability.
I agree. Not 3 hours with this mouse and I have the RMA ready. The right button has stopped working altogether. I like all the adjustments you can make, but there's no excuse for the dead button. Maybe I got a random dud. No matter, though. A $60 mouse should be better. Glad I tried it, at least. Amazon's RMA process is easy and I'll get back the total purchase price, including shipping.

Sounds like you're still basing your opinion on products produced during the N64/Dreamcast era and we've conceded that things could have been better then. However, recent years have seen us concentrate much harder on producing better products - hence the SF Tournament Sticks, the Rock Band gear, the Saitek simulation products and of course the Cyborg range.

As with any product produced en masse, there's always going to be the odd one that doesn't operate 100% to the level that we expect once it reaches your hands (as is the case with Mr. Wolf's R.A.T.) but the vast majority of people experience no issues.

To Mad Catz Rich:

You know, it's great you've been here ever since the thread started and all.. But you really gotta ACTUALLY start listening to people's opinions. Yes there are odd ones that would fail. Yes there are minor issues that are just personal opinions. But we are not expecting 100% quality. We are expecting a mouse that would work, a mouse that does not have some of the problems entry level mice wouldn't have. Just look through the pages in this thread (and I'm sure you've already done it), look at how many complaints, RMAs, and suggestions there are. You guys are building a product for users, not for yourselves. Get a sense of reality please.

And I think the above represents all users of RAT, whether happy or not.

Our sense of reality is very much in place, however the old adage that you're more likely to tell people if you have a problem with something than if you don't should also be borne in mind when counting the number of complaints on an internet forum.

There have been positive comments in here as well as the negatives and of course we know how many RMAs we get vs. how many we've sold so when I say that the vast majority of people have no issues, it's not just hyperbole.

All feedback is collated and digested so rest assured that you are being listened to!

Ive had my RAT 9 now for about 2 months & I love it. My only original complaint was that it was very hard to remove the battery when needed. I can now say that problem has disappeared. The batteries now slide out a lot easier than they did before. Great mouse. Well worth the money spent!

I'll add my two cents. I am a happy owner of the RAT 7, and have encountered very few problems with it in the 5 months of owning it. Its comfortable, highly adjustable and i really havent had the sensor issues people have had. 2 complaints, first is is the "sniper button is far too stiff, and second, the pinky wing is a little too angular. Besides those complaints I love me some RAT 7, and the quality is great. atleast on mine.

I enjoyed my time with the rat7, however it wasn't as smooth or comfortable to use as the razer lachesis I had beforehand. Sadly, the metal base got bent and I never managed to get it quite level again, and it had to be retired after the edges started scratching the desk.

Build quality was solid.

The criticisms I have were that the scroll wheel did not seem to work as a middle mouse button, which was irritating, and the friction pads on the bottom of the mouse were either too small or badly placed. This meant the mouse was harder to move around than expected, and it made my general computing experience a little less enjoyable.

It's a good product, but needs improvement.

Have been using the rat 7 and enjoy how easy it adjusts to my hand. ive purchased 2 so far and both have performed fine. only complaint is 1 of the rat 7 had a tough time adjusting the palm rest. the other rat 7 adjusts alot smoother.

seems to be a lot of good feedback about this mouse here. I've read other places that the drivers don't always work with win7. anyone experiencing that?

I had the RAT 7 and I didnt have any driver issues using Win7 64bit. I had to return cuz the G9x was on sale and I went that instead. I'd like to try the wireless RAT9 since I"m getting sick of wired mouse.

I'm having massive problems with my RAT 7. As I type this, the mouse sitting by itself and not being touched, the cursor is floating all over the screen. Drives me crazy.

Is this a common problem with this mouse? It was fine for the past 3 weeks, very comfortable, but this cursor drift problem has suddenly appeared and happens on all sorts of surfaces.

Have you made sure that you've cleaned the lens and made sure that there's no fine hairs stuck to the PTFE foot that surrounds the sensor?

Have you made sure that you've cleaned the lens and made sure that there's no fine hairs stuck to the PTFE foot that surrounds the sensor?

Yep, I've been blasting it repeatedly with air, run the registry tweak from the support site, made sure the mouse assist option is unclicked.

Tried it on my new xfx warpad, on my old func archetype, bamboo and white plastic cutting boards, and on the bare desk. Happens consistently on all of them.

Unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in always solves it for a couple minutes before the problem comes back.

Pretty infuriating.

Back