Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse

[email protected]

I've sent three emails over the course of a few weeks. I got one reply about four weeks after one of the emails, but my followup was never answered, nor were my repeated attempts at asking for support.

I didn't want to return the mouse until I got a reply back from support, but since it has taken over a month that is past the deadline for Newegg RMAs. Lesson learned there.

Last edited:
i just ordered one...hopefully i dont have the same issues... i bought from a website (forget right now) for $58 shipped.. they have a 30 day guarrantee... if you dont like it.. they pay for shipping back to them !!!!!!! now it was an open box so im guessing someone bought it.. either had issues with it... or they bought it and didnt like it.. or just the box got mangled... i called them and they said there are so many reasons why it could be an open box.... hopefully i didnt shoot my foot trying to save a buck...

Controlled 5600dpi !
You can crank the resolution all the way up in the cyborg control panel and then adjust cursor speed in the window's "mouse control panel".
( windows>control panel>mouse properties>pointer options> select a pointer speed! )

/

You should always have the pointer speed set to 6/11 and "improve pointer precision" ticked off, 5600dpi would give you a shit ton of negative acceleration anyways and there's no freaking way you will actually need such a high resolution EVER.

http://phoon.us/mouse/#mousefix

Best mouse I've used in many years. I've been through a bunch of the expensive popular gaming mice over the past few years and this is hands down the best fit for me. Maximumpc and PC gamer rated it highly. I put off the purchase due to user complaints. I regret doing that now.

I don't have the laser issue. I chalk it up to;

1. Never needing to lift my mouse and
2. Using a gaming mouse pad such as a Razer destructor or my current mouse pad the xtrac.

If any of you find issues when the thumb rest is tightened, try the following:

1. Loosen the bolt
2. Adjust the thumb rest to where you want it
3. Place the mouse on a flat, hard surface
4. Press down very firmly on the middle of the mouse - the section where R.A.T. is printed
5. Tighten the bolt fully whilst pressing down on the mouse

See if that helps.

The above procedure didn't work to resolve my RAT 9 rocking back and forth when left clicking which would cause my cursor to move erratically.
Did anyone bother to test these? Immediately after install I'm like "What the F***!!!"

Using a flashlight I could see that the feet on the left side of the metal frame were not in contact with my mat because the mouse foot on the thumb rest was propping them up. My initial thought was to sand down the mouse foot on the thumb rest which would work but would also prematurely wear out that foot.

Sorry if someone already posted this...I didn't bother to read this thread.:eek:
The solution for me was to place a plastic shim in between the thumb rest and the metal frame. I cut a piece of clear plastic off of a screw package (the part that hangs on a display rack in the store) but anything thin would work. I placed it where the FCC ID # is between the plastic and the round part of the metal frame that surrounds the thumb pivot. You might have to experiment with different thicknesses of shims but in my case the first time was the charm. Mouse clicks perfect now! I love this mouse but it should have been cheaper considering that the customers are the beta testers. My only question for Mad Catz is...head or gut? :D

img2353bn.jpg

I have the RAT 7 and it is a great mouse thus far, though I did have issues at first. I had tracking issues and the cursor would just move by itself even if I wasn't touching the mouse.

I went back to my G9 for a week but wanted to try the RAT 7 again as it felt so good to use. I uninstalled all mouse drivers and uninstalled all mice from device manager and reinstalled the cyborg mouse driver and it has been working fine since. It no longer has the tracking issues. I use a cyborg mouse pad or puretrak talent pad as well.

The only complaint I have is the wheel turns a little too easy and sometimes I accidentally turn it when pressing the wheel button. But other than that it is a great moue!

got my $58 RAT 7 in!!!!!!!!! lol.. open box.. but complete...
installed and windows 7 x64 picked it up!!!!!!!! havent installed the software yet or played with it as im heading out to the fish store... to it later tonight...

but so far.. im just using a crappy blue mouse pad.. and 0 issues when i was quick testing it...

Sorry if someone already posted this...I didn't bother to read this thread.:eek:
The solution for me was to place a plastic shim in between the thumb rest and the metal frame. I cut a piece of clear plastic off of a screw package (the part that hangs on a display rack in the store) but anything thin would work. I placed it where the FCC ID # is between the plastic and the round part of the metal frame that surrounds the thumb pivot. You might have to experiment with different thicknesses of shims but in my case the first time was the charm. Mouse clicks perfect now! I love this mouse but it should have been cheaper considering that the customers are the beta testers. My only question for Mad Catz is...head or gut? :D]

Many months ago I wedged a stack of (very small) paper in between the thumb rest and the metal to get rid of the jitteriness. While this stopped the majority of accidental movement on the left click, both the middle click and right click were still affected. I threw the mouse in the closet and haven't looked at it since then. Do you (or did you) have issues with the middle mouse wheel/right clicking? I'd love to be able to use this mouse :(

can you guys tell me what version of software you have?
and driver?

i installed the cd.. and when i click the support button... i cant launch get game profiles or get software and drivers..

i have
software: 7.0.2.7
driver: 7.0.0.26

im liking this thing.. expecially since i can set the X and Y seperatelly!!!!!!

Man I really want this mouse but these issues that they are having scare the crap out of me and I don't feel comfortable laying down over $50 for something with known issues. Is madcatz putting out a revision soon that fixes the issues once and for all?

Man I really want this mouse but these issues that they are having scare the crap out of me and I don't feel comfortable laying down over $50 for something with known issues. Is madcatz putting out a revision soon that fixes the issues once and for all?

well i just got one in.. as i stated above.. mine was an open box.. dont know why... but i have not had an issue with it yet.. and I will be playing black ops tonight with it...

i even setup the profiles with x asis as faster than the y.. so up/down look wont be as fast... I prefer that.. it was nice... and set the snipe button to 65%... will fine tune..

but so far all the issues I have read, I have not had as my experience...

im using that typical blue cloth mouse pad that you see others use....

Many months ago I wedged a stack of (very small) paper in between the thumb rest and the metal to get rid of the jitteriness. While this stopped the majority of accidental movement on the left click, both the middle click and right click were still affected. I threw the mouse in the closet and haven't looked at it since then. Do you (or did you) have issues with the middle mouse wheel/right clicking? I'd love to be able to use this mouse :(

No issue with my middle wheel or the right click. Before putting in a shim I lifted the thumb rest out of the way which caused the plastic ridge that touches the round part of the metal frame to pop out from underneath. This lifted the thumb rest foot off of the mouse pad and caused rocking when right clicking but not left clicking. When I snapped it back in I was back to rocking when left clicking. I only suffered from it on hard surfaces which I prefer over cloth surfaces. I'm not surprised that TeleFragger's cloth mouse pad is not experiencing this because that type of pad will dampen the rocking. I placed my mouse on a hard smooth surface and got down and looked at mouse level with a gun light to see how much the left foot was raised. You can use any light but I used a gun light in case someone tried to sneak up on me I could blind them and beat them to death with my mouse. Those extra 42 grams come in handy! Anyway you will likely see that the front left foot is barely raised but that space is how thick the shim should be. Just enough to put the left foot in contact without raising the right foot. In my case the plastic shim I'm using is just a shade thinner than the thickness of the mouse feet so it's pretty thin. You can slip something under the left foot to see if it makes contact without raising the right foot and then try it a a shim. Try getting the thickness right and see if it solves your issue.

I'm not surprised that TeleFragger's cloth mouse pad is not experiencing this because that type of pad will dampen the rocking.

well i was playing black ops last night... and just decided to remove the mouse pad... i used the mouse directly on the table top... it is a wood (cherry) style finish... and hard as a rock... it worked great... no rocking at all.. only complaint I had was that I suck more now in BO!!!!! LOL..

well i would right click and look through cross hairs.. and forget to push the snipe button.. and spray bullets EVERYWHERE and i would die... grrrrrrrrrrr

gonna take some time at using this mouse.. but i really like everything about it....

i like the way customizable size of the mouse..
my right thumb is shorter than my left.. my brothers pick on me by telling people they cut my big toe off and put it on for a thumb.. and it looks like it...

so i brought the mouse rest all the way back.. and it is comfy....more tweaking needs to be done by me and more use of mouse to get better at it...

I was having the same random issue of not being able to make the cursor go where I wanted, ie locked vert or horizontal. Figured it out, was a bit of dusts in front of on of the lenses.

Now whenever it does that all I have to do is blow it out and it's fine!

I have a cat, so that really doesnt help. lol

I have a cat, so that really doesnt help. lol

Yeah, Cat's + computers = chewed cables and hair everywhere!

Yeah i heard so many horror stories on this thread that when i finally got my R.A.T 7, but the only times i have had any issues is when my my lens got a tiny bit of hair/dust on it, blew it out and it was fine.

I am honestly very impressed by the mouse, really exceeded my expectations. Although the software really is crap.

Is this mouse really awesome? Well design is great but I don't have, not sure about use.

Has anyone had problems installing the mouse software? I've downloaded the most recent software for Windows 7 64-bit. After the installation, I can't open any of the software. I don't have anti-virus software runing and have installed the most recent drivers.

Last edited:
Has anyone had problems installing the mouse software? I've downloaded the most recent software for Windows 7 64-bit. After the installation, I can't open any of the software. I don't have anti-virus software runing and have installed the most recent drivers.

No difficulties on win 7-64 home, pro, or ultimate with 15 of the rat 5/7's out of our shop. It IS the BMW of mice. Get one. My only problem is now I've grown so spoiled by it I'm going to have to buy one for the desk at work since it's way beyond what we're allocated. Also, as noted by some, it does have a problem with the black razor exactmat - but only on the speed side, the rough side works great. Also tracking issues noted on some of the superthin, but not the cloth ripper series, no issues with any of the ones we've played with from the cooler master line.

I already own the mouse. I've just had trouble updating drivers or software. The software update just won't install properly. I've gone back to the software on the disc. I did make sure I had all .NET updates, which was a suggestion on Cyborg's own FAQ.

What is the most recent version of both the software and drivers?

I also have a hell of a time keeping the laser eye clear. If I don't frequently clean it out, I'll lose mouse movements in either the x or y. I use it on a Ratpadz XT.

I've had my R.A.T. 9 since mid January, and last week it suddenly started double clicking (on a single click) every 5 mouse clicks or so. I sent off a quick email to the guys at mad catz. After suggesting that I confirm this on another computer (somehow that though escaped me--n00b mistake ino) they will be sending me a new mouse (due to personal circumstances they have not required me to send them my defective mouse first.

I have to say that their Customer Support Staff are spot on. Many Thanks to Angelo for his help with me and my mouse.

Now nothing to do but wait for my new R.A.T to arrive.

i just bought my RAT9 today and so far i like it. i didnt even intall the software...guess i might try it out later on for the snipe button, which is the only real advantage i can see to using the software. they should have just hard coded the snipe button like the dpi button so it had a default of x% so you could still use the button without their software. oh well. i did research on mousepads for this thing only to find out that my Func F10s mousemat works just fine with it.

I've had my R.A.T. 9 since mid January, and last week it suddenly started double clicking (on a single click) every 5 mouse clicks or so. I sent off a quick email to the guys at mad catz. After suggesting that I confirm this on another computer (somehow that though escaped me--n00b mistake ino) they will be sending me a new mouse (due to personal circumstances they have not required me to send them my defective mouse first.

I have to say that their Customer Support Staff are spot on. Many Thanks to Angelo for his help with me and my mouse.

Now nothing to do but wait for my new R.A.T to arrive.

guess ill save my old mouse just in case....

guess ill save my old mouse just in case....

yep, good decision. I'm lucky that my mouse and keyboard use the same usb dongle (both wireless) so I couldn't get rid of the mouse unless i was getting rid of the keyboard at the same time.

Ive been thinking about getting the RAT9 to replace my g9x, how common does these problems seem to be happening?

returned my rat9 today. after 4 days of intense testing my hand can honestly say the ergonomics on this mouse just plain suck ass. the design looks cool but its lacking in many ways that make this release a failure imo.

pros:

* looks badass
* wireless
* rechargeable
* good build quality
* adjustable

cons:

* ergonomics are horrible....the adjustable palm rest is fine...but the other half of the mouse needs to be re-designed to be a half hump to support the fingers and mid-hand. ( just raise the middle of the mouse...it isnt too difficult.
* battery life is ok, but far from good
* thumb rest is way too small...i dont know anyone that has thumbs the size of pencils...this design is just plain stupid.it needs to be wider so you dont keep cliking the forward back buttons. on top of that, it needs and natural indent to cradle the thumb so you can easily move the mouse around with a loose grip, instead of having to grip it tightly.
*pinky rest is too small....this needs to support 2 fingers. it should have a slight wave and be about twice as large with some sort of grip rubber to enhance grip and comfort.
* pinky fin addon rest is not designed properly.... this looks like it was designed to soley support the pinky. most people use 2 fingers on the top and use the 2 fingers on the side...not just 1. this needs to be re-designed to accomodate this. as it stands now its pretty useless as it gouges your finger.

quite honestly this mouse is one of those " so close yet so far" things. my recommendations are pretty much common sense. the sad thing is they could have truely taken the trophy of ultimate mouse if they had in fact designed it properly. at this point its not much more than a cool looking gimmick mouse that specializes in giving you hand cramps and hand/wrist problems.
there are so few really top end mice these days. i hope they revise the design so they can actually make an awesome mouse.

so now im off to test out a razer mamba for a week and see how that feels....

Can I get some feedback from rat 9 owners? What surface do you use that works perfectly with the mouse?

I bought the rat 7 the other day at Frys for $60. They were on sale and I bought my beloved G500 for that much so I could justify finally testing this highly regarded piece of gear.

I am all about the modular nature of the mouse but I simply can't get it to my style. I think coming from a G500, palm mouse, to a rat 7 is like going to a G9x. It seems to be a claw mouse now matter how much I adjust the palm swell or move out the other pieces. But, for some reason, it has already changed the way I game. The sensor position is a big part of it since the G500 is shoved so far forward. Any suggestions from other rat owners on how to hold or use this mouse? I want to give it a fair shake but I have a lan on Saturday and don't want to spend all week trying to discover that secret if it isn't there.

Thanks!

The above procedure didn't work to resolve my RAT 9 rocking back and forth when left clicking which would cause my cursor to move erratically.
Did anyone bother to test these? Immediately after install I'm like "What the F***!!!"

Using a flashlight I could see that the feet on the left side of the metal frame were not in contact with my mat because the mouse foot on the thumb rest was propping them up. My initial thought was to sand down the mouse foot on the thumb rest which would work but would also prematurely wear out that foot.

The solution for me was to place a plastic shim in between the thumb rest and the metal frame. I cut a piece of clear plastic off of a screw package (the part that hangs on a display rack in the store) but anything thin would work. I placed it where the FCC ID # is between the plastic and the round part of the metal frame that surrounds the thumb pivot. You might have to experiment with different thicknesses of shims but in my case the first time was the charm. Mouse clicks perfect now! I love this mouse but it should have been cheaper considering that the customers are the beta testers. My only question for Mad Catz is...head or gut? :D

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1629/img2353bn.jpg

Can you elaborate on this please? I don't quite follow. I see the plastic thing with the FCC ID on it but I can't quite tell what it is doing.

Can you elaborate on this please? I don't quite follow. I see the plastic thing with the FCC ID on it but I can't quite tell what it is doing.

It's lifting the plastic thumb piece. The base of the mouse is the metal frame. The thumb piece, without something wedged between the two, is just slightly taller than the rest of the mouse, making it wobbly.

I gave up on my RAT 7 for that exact reason; no matter what I did, it was wobbly.

It's lifting the plastic thumb piece. The base of the mouse is the metal frame. The thumb piece, without something wedged between the two, is just slightly taller than the rest of the mouse, making it wobbly.

I gave up on my RAT 7 for that exact reason; no matter what I did, it was wobbly.

I see. I've tried jamming in some items I found around the house that I MacGuyver'd but I can't fit anything between the metal frame and the thumb rest. Any ideas on something I could use or try to get this thing working? The wobbly stuff is driving me crazy.

I see. I've tried jamming in some items I found around the house that I MacGuyver'd but I can't fit anything between the metal frame and the thumb rest. Any ideas on something I could use or try to get this thing working? The wobbly stuff is driving me crazy.

Considering I couldn't get it feeling satisfactory no matter how much I tinkered with it, I'm not sure I'm the one to ask. :p

However, in order to wedge anything underneath it period, you need to loosen the thumb screw (the one that changes the angle of the thumb pad) quite a bit, and then lift it slightly.

Good luck.

So I started using my RAT7 a couple of days ago. It tracks excellently on my Ikea Gallant black-brown color, but to preserve the integrity of my desk I decided to get a nice mouse pad. I figured I'd visit the local best buy as I am to understand their rebranded SteelSeries mouse pad is actually a pretty good deal. Well I found it, the rocketfish aluminum mouse pad. I had read that the RAT7 does not like this mouse pad (as well as not liking the Icemat but that's a different story). I thought, what the hell, if it doesn't work I'll just return it.

Upon placing it on my desk and setting my mouse down on the Control side, I could immediately tell one thing: It works perfectly fine. I switched it over to the speed side, and again, it works, but not perfectly fine. The speed side gives is maybe .1s of delay between movement of the mouse and movement of the cursor. I'm assuming this is the issue people talk about when they're referring to the Rocketfish mousepad not agreeing with RAT7. However, the control side works just fine. And it's a sharp looking mousepad, if I do say so myself.

Maybe the issues with the sensors were just a bad batch put out a couple of months ago? The one I have here seems to be great. Excellent build quality, LOVE the little pinky wing they include in the packaging. That attachment is really cool. I wonder why every mouse doesn't have one, it's phenomenal.

Anyway that's my $.02 on the RAT7 + Rocketfish mousepad.

So, I gather yall would recommend getting the Rat^3 instead of the other models due to the sensor issue? I am kinda looking for a modern replacement for my aging mx518. Suggestions on the Rat^series?

So, I gather yall would recommend getting the Rat^3 instead of the other models due to the sensor issue? I am kinda looking for a modern replacement for my aging mx518. Suggestions on the Rat^series?
If you want a replacement for your MX518, get a G500.

Back