Cyberpunk 2077

FFS, how could they not have tested SUBTITLES?!?!?! If you have subtitles off, you won't be able to understand any of the non-English dialogue, which is critical to the fucking story. You have to go back into the options and turn subtitles back on. I am gobsmacked that they didn't at the very least ensure non-English dialogue was automatically subtitled, or at least give an additional option (although it really shouldn't even be an option since the non-English dialogue in this is actually plot-critical, not just "flavor" as in some other games.)

There's also a bug when you have subtitles turned off where subtitles sometimes appear anyway and they literally will stick on the screen (both pop-ups and cinematics) until you go into the options and toggle them on and off again. Seriously how in the fuck in 8 years was such a basic thing not caught?

Ha, the game knows it's non-English being spoken too - the subtitles are scrambled for a second as it translates.

Overall I'm pleased with the game. 3960x with mild OC and a 3080 at about 1800MHz. Game runs fine for what it is. I'm leaning toward medium ray tracing preset with the chroma/grain off and DLSS at quality. That gives me OK frame rate. I have played games for so long at sub-60Hz rates that I can adapt to occasional slowdowns. The game really does look stunning and the sheer amount of dialogue and story I've been fed, only a few hours in, feels unprecedented.

Misgivings:
- vehicle dynamics are wonky
- no game-breaking bugs but I've definitely hit some of the commonly cited annoyances: NPCs flailing on the ground, phone call audio overlapping NPC dialogue and clipping weirdness. But no AC Valhalla-style "character is stuck and needs to fast travel away to escape" issues.
- in general, I'm getting a sense of things being half-baked which is unfortunate given the effort that's gone into this. What I mean is that this city is so complex and detailed--trash on streets, food carts everywhere etc. that it really makes me want to go explore and talk to everyone. But then I realize 95% of the doors won't open / buildings are just sealed boxes; 95% of the retail establishments are non-functional window-dressing; 95% of the random people walking around serve no purpose and offer no interaction other than their walking around. If I really tried to RP my character, I'd feel I was on the Truman Show with so much scaffolding and so little behind most of it. In contrast, AC Valhalla which I'm playing concurrently seems to have a fraction of the NPCs, a fraction of the sheer number of buildings.... but a much greater percentage of it can be interacted with. This is bothering me a bit.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Overall I'm pleased with the game. 3960x with mild OC and a 3080 at about 1800MHz. Game runs fine for what it is. I'm leaning toward medium ray tracing preset with the chroma/grain off and DLSS at quality. That gives me OK frame rate. I have played games for so long at sub-60Hz rates that I can adapt to occasional slowdowns. The game really does look stunning and the sheer amount of dialogue and story I've been fed, only a few hours in, feels unprecedented.

Misgivings:
- vehicle dynamics are wonky
- no game-breaking bugs but I've definitely hit some of the commonly cited annoyances: NPCs flailing on the ground, phone call audio overlapping NPC dialogue and clipping weirdness. But no AC Valhalla-style "character is stuck and needs to fast travel away to escape" issues.
- in general, I'm getting a sense of things being half-baked which is unfortunate given the effort that's gone into this. What I mean is that this city is so complex and detailed--trash on streets, food carts everywhere etc. that it really makes me want to go explore and talk to everyone. But then I realize 95% of the doors won't open / buildings are just sealed boxes; 95% of the retail establishments are non-functional window-dressing; 95% of the random people walking around serve no purpose and offer no interaction other than their walking around. If I really tried to RP my character, I'd feel I was on the Truman Show with so much scaffolding and so little behind most of it. In contrast, AC Valhalla which I'm playing concurrently seems to have a fraction of the NPCs, a fraction of the sheer number of buildings.... but a much greater percentage of it can be interacted with. This is bothering me a bit.

Are you past the prologue? I'm thinking stuff opens up a lot more after the prologue.

I don't know how you create an incredibly population-dense sprawling urban environment and get away from what you're describing, though. It's just not humanly possibly without using some kind of procedural system, and then you make other sacrifices. I'm not trying to give CP2077 a free pass, I just honestly don't think the technology exists to pull off a truly interactive city on a massive scale. It would either take human resources on a scale WAY beyond what any game or development studio has ever had before, or technology to simplify its creation that just doesn't exist yet.

Honestly I'm fine with playing this at 35-45fps. Stream output is goddamn brutal, though, and I think there are some issues with OBS. I had a huge amount of jittering and different scenes popping in that were only in the ouput while my screen was smooth. Loaded up afterburner and took various screenshots of cpu/vram usage amongst the presets and it seems that core 3 on my 2700x is getting worked hard, up to 87%, while most of the other cores never get to 35%.

The presets have a significant performance difference which is nice because the presets have a significant performance difference. That's how it should be! I can load up ultra and have 35fps or go to medium for 50-ish and low for 70 in the same spot. I'm trying to narrow down settings to keep it above 40fps but I'd STRONGLY recommend leaving contact shadows on because it makes a huge difference in the quality of shadows on characters' faces--or at least the ones that have hair. There's so much character interaction that not having this on for those moments takes away from them, in my opinion.

Fuck I want a new cpu/gpu now.

Last edited:
I don't know how you create an incredibly population-dense sprawling urban environment and get away from what you're describing, though. It's just not humanly possibly without using some kind of procedural system, and then you make other sacrifices. I'm not trying to give CP2077 a free pass, I just honestly don't think the technology exists to pull off a truly interactive city on a massive scale. It would either take human resources on a scale WAY beyond what any game or development studio has ever had before, or technology to simplify its creation that just doesn't exist yet.
8 years is a lot of time if you manage them competently.

This is the most complex open world game, ever, in terms of the level of detail. I think these things have reached a certain level where it's just not humanely possible to make a bigger/more complex game than what we are seeing here unless some sort of highly-intelligent AI is made that can do good level design, good texturing, good artwork, etc. is made. Look at how many years GTA5 took. This game puts GTA5 to shame, and even GTA5 had a lot of nothing-space compared to this game.

It will be interesting to see Rockstar try to top this game with GTA6, whenever that comes out, and how long that takes.

Last edited:
I have a 2070s - and I'm running this game quite well @ 1440p

RT on you'll hit some issues on the 2070s (like mid 30's) but with out it you shouldn't be dipping below mid 50's any where. I'm hitting up to 100 during inside missions, 55 to 70 on dense areas.
I'm worried about my cpu. have you tried dlss? I'll also be playing at 1440p

Awful lot of snowflakes in here crying over small shit that'll be easily fixed. This game pushes the bar forward. There's going to be bumps in the road.

So far the different sites/forums that go over performance aren't very helpful. They all advise to use the max settings which looks great...until you actually move around and notice that your FPS = teh suxx even on a 3090. Hopefully someone will do an in-depth analysis of all those damned settings to help different setups hit 60fps.

So far the different sites/forums that go over performance aren't very helpful. They all advise to use the max settings which looks great...until you actually move around and notice that your FPS = teh suxx even on a 3090. Hopefully someone will do an in-depth analysis of all those damned settings to help different setups hit 60fps.
Hardware Unboxed and Digital Foundry will eventually release videos.

Awful lot of snowflakes in here crying over small shit that'll be easily fixed. This game pushes the bar forward. There's going to be bumps in the road.
Yes and no. Some of the pathfinding bugs and T-pose shit seems to be things that should have been caught internally in beta. Of course a game of this scope is going to have mission/scripting bugs occasionally, but some of this stuff seems almost ubiquitous across all hardware, so it is a bit baffling how it made it into the final product.

all those delays and the final product has this many bugs?...to all the people who post that they are fine with game delays (even multiple delays) because the game will be more polished and less buggy on release I hope this release changes your tune...

On a 3080 I have the Ray Tracing options all on and Lighting set to Ultra. DLSS I left on auto. I'm dialing in settings realistically as I go along but the way you all are talking DLSS doesn't seem like it's helping much? I'll have to do some comparisons.

all those delays and the final product has this many bugs?...to all the people who post that they are fine with game delays (even multiple delays) because the game will be more polished and less buggy on release I hope this release changes your tune...
That depends entirely on what each person experiences.

After 6 hours or so of playing I've had no crashes and less glitches than the last time I played GTA5 or AC Valhalla.

On a 3080 I have the Ray Tracing options all on and Lighting set to Ultra. DLSS I left on auto. I'm dialing in settings realistically as I go along but the way you all are talking DLSS doesn't seem like it's helping much? I'll have to do some comparisons.
DLSS is a huuuuge performance benefit. It's just that some people don't seem to understand it is strictly a performance saving compromise and not some sort of image quality increase + performance boost.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
why would it change their tune? the game should be less buggy now than it was 6 months or a year ago. I see your point but at some point a product needs to get released and people need to get paid, as long as there are no game breaking bugs. I don't see anyone complaining they can't launch the game or they are having CTDs

DLSS is a huuuuge performance benefit. It's just that some people don't seem to understand it is strictly a performance saving compromise and not some sort of image quality increase + performance boost.

I'm thinking auto or balanced is probably the way to go here.

Auto will throw you into performance to reach higher frames. You really, really, don't want to go below balanced. The loss in image quality is pretty big at that point.

why would it change their tune? the game should be less buggy now than it was 6 months or a year ago. I see your point but at some point a product needs to get released and people need to get paid, as long as there are no game breaking bugs. I don't see anyone complaining they can't launch the game or they are having CTDs

CTD isn't the only bug most people consider major or game-breaking

Several of the reported game-breaking bugs in Cyberpunk 2077 stall progress randomly...these issues include invisible walls that block players, doors that won't open when they should, and players being trapped at random points in Night City...certain objects and areas can't be climbed, even when it's necessary for story-related quests, and NPCs have been reported to spawn in places that keep players from completing objectives...the only known fix for these problems is to turn off the game completely and restart Cyberpunk 2077 from the last save

Some story quests just never start correctly, and incorrect dialogue choices may appear and make it impossible to build a character the way players want...these incorrect dialogue choices can also stall progress at certain points in the game...

I tend to agree, which is why at worst I would describe it as a misgiving. And in general I would not expect that level of depth for the reasons you describe, which is why it's frustrating that the world invites me to yearn for it. I do suspect there is an intersection point ahead that combines procedurally generated breadth/depth with enough hand-made content and curation that I can have my cake and eat it :)

Last edited:
CTD isn't the only bug most people consider major or game-breaking

Several of the reported game-breaking bugs in Cyberpunk 2077 stall progress randomly...these issues include invisible walls that block players, doors that won't open when they should, and players being trapped at random points in Night City...certain objects and areas can't be climbed, even when it's necessary for story-related quests, and NPCs have been reported to spawn in places that keep players from completing objectives...the only known fix for these problems is to turn off the game completely and restart Cyberpunk 2077 from the last save

Some story quests just never start correctly, and incorrect dialogue choices may appear and make it impossible to build a character the way players want...these incorrect dialogue choices can also stall progress at certain points in the game...
ok, my bad.

I've noticed CPU usage spikes HARD just by wiggling your camera around.

Like, say I'm sitting in the market. CPU is 70%. Wiggle back and forth, CPU becomes PEGGED at 100% and framerate plummets.

edit: Actually only seems to happen this bad in the market area. I can just sit and spin in circle and get 40 FPS and it's back at 60 when I stop. Weird. I wonder if the streaming system is shitting itself.

I get the feeling this game was not intended for mere quad cores.

Last edited:
FFS, how could they not have tested SUBTITLES?!?!?! If you have subtitles off, you won't be able to understand any of the non-English dialogue, which is critical to the fucking story. You have to go back into the options and turn subtitles back on. I am gobsmacked that they didn't at the very least ensure non-English dialogue was automatically subtitled, or at least give an additional option (although it really shouldn't even be an option since the non-English dialogue in this is actually plot-critical, not just "flavor" as in some other games.)

There's also a bug when you have subtitles turned off where subtitles sometimes appear anyway and they literally will stick on the screen (both pop-ups and cinematics) until you go into the options and toggle them on and off again. Seriously how in the fuck in 8 years was such a basic thing not caught?

This is my biggest gripe. Hate having subtitles on, but certain sequences are nonsense without them. First noticed it in The Heist, wondering to myself if I was supposed to be understanding what was being said. By the time I figured out I was, I'm now left wondering what I missed.

Had the subtitle stuck bug happen to. Had a good laugh about it since it was "Eehh... About that stick up the ass..." until I realized I probably don't want that burned into my OLED.

Nope.

it's because several YouTube channels huge and small, have pushed DLSS 2.0 as a near magical thing, with at worst, very minimal negatives. (Digital Foundry is one of.those channels).
And then gamers across the internet have ran with that. Blindly calling it free performance with better than native image quality. When many of them did not even have RTX cards to see it for themselves.

I feel like the bitter SC backers are really coming out in force, sorry you guys had to see what a real developer can do in about 5 years of development!

I feel like the bitter SC backers are really coming out in force, sorry you guys had to see what a real developer can do in about 5 years of development!
Seeing this game and what was done, and the fact that my original backing of Squadron 42 will basically never happen, it pisses me off.

I like how the world is utterly packed with details but they miss little things like people not running away while you're having a firefight 10 feet from them.

People are just chilling in their cars as bullets fly and instead of running, they just crouch down and start screaming.

Also had someone try to grab me or something as I grabbed them. Wound up holding them all glitchy and fucked up and threw them in a dumpster while they were conscious.

very odd how different missions over lap one another -

This is a perfect example - on a mission, someone else calls while I'm talking to the other person lol

Homie, this thing absolutely reams my system in the ass sometimes. I'm honestly tempted to just play when I finish my new system, and maybe it'll have another patch out by then that fixes some jank.

Dips to 40 fps at 1080p on an overclocked 6700k & GTX 1080 is a bit of a yikes from me. I want to play, but it kind of takes me out of the game when it happens because it feels like ass at that point.

Sad face. Guess im waiting for a new card. I play 080p and if icant be maxed at that on. 1080ti i cant do it

Not saying it is right, but I kind of expected this level of bugs for this title. CDPR have a longgg history of their games being buggy at release (looking at you, entire Witcher series)... But they ALWAYS support their titles and we will eventually get an enhanced edition down the track to boot.

First look at DLSS when you jump into the game.

View attachment 307512

DLSS off.

View attachment 307511

I was getting a LOT of texture corruption and shimmering on the 2080 Ti with DLSS on. Was very distracting. Decided to play 1440p in a borderless window on my 48" with Medium everything and no RTX. Keeping me around 75 to 90 frames nice and fluid.

Check the door in the right, the metal frame around the window. I saw what I assume is a similar issue in Control on certain surfaces. Light looks like it is scattering/shimmering when the camera is not being panned around. Even for not so reflective surfaces.

In Cyberpunk it looks like it is even worse in mirrors.

Again, the graphical down grade for a huge FPS gain may be worth it to some people depending on their set up. But it isn't "free frame rates" like some claim.

Back