CUDA 177.35 now official (for GPU2 NVIDIA folks)

Xilikon

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2008
For those who are waiting to run it under Vista x64, there is a new driver available officially : http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html under your OS version.

This new version should make folding more smoother and more efficienly with rumored increase of 100-1000 ppd over 174.55.

Dang, I just got those hacked drivers installed and they are working great too.

This download says it is for geforece 200 series...will this work with the older 8 and 9 series cards as well?

0.png

I read on the FCF about that so I thought it's available :(

Wouldn't install on either of mine. I'm not sure how the hacked inf works. I tried that once a while ago, and it just trashed my system. I hope they aren't just holding back the good drivers to make their new cards seem faster by comparison.

Wouldn't install on either of mine. I'm not sure how the hacked inf works. I tried that once a while ago, and it just trashed my system. I hope they aren't just holding back the good drivers to make their new cards seem faster by comparison.

I believe it's exactly the same as the version circulating yesterday, so I wouldn't bother reinstalling if you already have 177.35 installed. It still needs the hacked inf file.

I'm running the 174's that are on the f@h faq page. I'm not sure how exactly to go about tricking the 177's ontomy 8800's

also, does anyone else hear a difference in their computer when running the gpu? I can hear a distinct hi speed electric sound coming from my comp when the gpu client starts up. Can't really tell if its coming from the card or is interference on the on board speaker though. (not a fan, its water cooled)

also, also I'm only getting half the ppd that people with the 177's seem to be getting. but, I don't want to wreck my stuff just yet for that. I"m going out of town next week, comps will be off anyways. If the 177's aren't out for 8800's maybe I'll post for help when I get back.

I'm running the 174's that are on the f@h faq page. I'm not sure how exactly to go about tricking the 177's ontomy 8800's

If it works, keep it until a official version is released. The 177.35 is good for those who run a x64 OS.

also, does anyone else hear a difference in their computer when running the gpu? I can hear a distinct hi speed electric sound coming from my comp when the gpu client starts up. Can't really tell if its coming from the card or is interference on the on board speaker though. (not a fan, its water cooled)

also, also I'm only getting half the ppd that people with the 177's seem to be getting. but, I don't want to wreck my stuff just yet for that. I"m going out of town next week, comps will be off anyways. If the 177's aren't out for 8800's maybe I'll post for help when I get back.

I'm hearing a bit of that high pitch sound (not loud at all - but you can hear it) out of my 8800GTX but not the 8800GT.

0.png

To install on Vista x64 you have to reboot and hit f8, then choose the option that disables driver signature enforcement. Once booted, install using the modded inf file, then reboot and hit f8 again to disble driver signing. It should work after that but you will need to hit f8 every time you reboot and disable the driver signature verification otherwise you'll be stuck with the standard VGA driver.

Thanks for the tip. I've been doing that (had to use that trick before Belkin released Vista drivers for my Nostromo), but I'm still missing something somewhere.

The high pitched sound you hear is probably the card. I get it on my 8800GTX's at work when running computation on them. No need to worry, IMHO; after months of continuous computation they still run just fine.

Finally got it working with the whql 177.35 and the inf hack from guru3d above (thanks Xilikon). I must have borked something up along the way, because the installation worked perfectly after I rolled back using system restore.

Well this sucks. I was all excited about the nvidia gpu client. Any word on when cuda drivers for 8 series cards will be out? 175.16 doesn't work at all with the gpu client, and I am not interested in disabling driver signing every reboot.

175.16 was working fine for me on a 8800GTX - Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Just put in 177.35 with the .inf hack and now I only have 4 resolutions to choose from on a 30" Apple Cinema Display. :(
1088x612
1280x800
1600x1024
2500x1600
No 1600x1200, my normal real gaming resolution. Sometimes I like to take it up all the way, if the game supports it just to see what it looks like and feel how it behaves.

Well this sucks. I was all excited about the nvidia gpu client. Any word on when cuda drivers for 8 series cards will be out? 175.16 doesn't work at all with the gpu client, and I am not interested in disabling driver signing every reboot.

I managed to install the GTX200 WHQL XP 32 driver on my 8800GT.
You may be able to follow the same procedure.

First I unwrapped the WHQL 175.16 and 177.35 drivers to seperate folders.
Next I copied the nv4_disp.inf from the 175.16 folder to the 177.35 folder.
Installed the driver.
About 5 prompts came up saying files were missing so I copied them from the 175.16 folder to the 177.35 folder and pressed retry for each.

Voila, driver installed and seems to work perfectly for games :)
I havent tried anything else but at least you dont lose anything.
Its no faster on an 8800GT btw.

Do I have to hit F8 every time I reboot, even though I'm using 32bit Vista?

That might explain the behavior I was seeing. It would appear the drivers installed correctly, but once Vista started, I was stuck on VGA. I thought the F8 thing was 64 bit only.

I'm getting about half the ppd other people are reporting, and I think the 174s are to blame. (Although, it doesn't really matter now since Stanford's servers haven't been able to serve up a GPU2 WU to my clients in over an hour :()

With Vista 32 bits, no need to hit F8. It's only with the 64 bits version. I guess yours might not be installed correctly so retry.

With Vista 32 bits, no need to hit F8. It's only with the 64 bits version. I guess yours might not be installed correctly so retry.

tried it twice on two different vista systems. I tried two different inf files (don't know where I got them from). that's probably the issue.

I might give the ones from guru3d linked above a whirl today.

The 177.35s are still the download at the cuda site.
My question is why would nvidia continue to try to get me to download a driver that doesn't work with my card? Thank God I'm not a cuda developer.

Yes, it works well but you had to press F8 indeed. It's not a problem since I need to do that anyway to make VMWare work.

I've never run VM, and I've never had to push F8. So here is my question...

is this a one time thing, or every time I reboot?

I've never run VM, and I've never had to push F8. So here is my question...

is this a one time thing, or every time I reboot?

Every reboot unfortunately. Microsoft has disabled any loophole that lets you modify windows to disable it permanently.

Xilikon, when you say "unpack the driver" is that different than just double clicking the install file to start the install process? I haven't tried installing these yet, just asking while i'm still at work so i don't have to wait for an answer when i get home to try to solve the low PPD puzzle :)

I just started the installer, it unpacked the files then went OH FAIL YOU DON'T HAVE A GTX200 SERIES CARD. files were unpacked in the appropriate folder and i went on from there w/ the modded .inf

I used 7z to unpack it (right-click -♥> Unpack to folder) but installing it will also work.

What version of vmware do you have that doesn't have any signed drivers?

As for the nvidia cuda drivers, I think I am just going to wait for official 8 series cuda drivers.

This nv client seems to fight me at every turn. These drivers appear to install, but when i reboot it says they aren't installed in rivatuner and fah gpu says you suck.

I think you need to first hit F8 to disable driver signing, boot, install then reboot (hit F8 again).

Correct Xilikon. The new driver wouldn't even install on my Vista64 rig without hitting F8 and disabling driver signing prior. I'm. getting about 4700 ppd out of my 8800GTX right now.

This nv client seems to fight me at every turn. These drivers appear to install, but when i reboot it says they aren't installed in rivatuner and fah gpu says you suck.
I have the same problem on Vista 32

Thought I would share. I am using these:
http://ashentech.com/index.php?topic=1124.0
on Vista x64 with my 8800GT and they are working great, no f8 required.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Downloading now, will report how it works with sli.

edit: they worked briefly but after finishing about 3 wu I started getting errors when starting fah. I guess I will have to wait for an official cuda driver.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Downloading now, will report how it works with sli.

edit: they worked briefly but after finishing about 3 wu I started getting errors when starting fah. I guess I will have to wait for an official cuda driver.

Hrm.. Mine are still working just fine. In fact, I've turned out almost 20k points so far! BTW, I just installed my 2nd 8800GT for SLI, and it's working great in games with these drivers.

Back