Crysis Official Discussion.

zamardii

2[H]4U
I just picked up Crysis: Special Edition on my break, and i'm going through the packaging at work just waiting for the clock to tick down. 4 more hours to go...:rolleyes:

Anyway, after picking up the game I got more excited to play it then I thought I would. The concept art book inside tided me over for a while. But, I noticed in the box there were 3 DVDs. One said "Disc 1: Game," and the other said "Disc 2: Audio." (Disc 3 is bonus material) I thought that was interesting it came on 2 DVDs apparantly for the install. I've never seen a multi-dvd install for a game.

Anyway, i'll be updating on my impressions of the game here, and hopefully the rest of you will too.

Come oooon 7:00pm.

Edit: Yeah, I realize there will be a lot of these threads the next few days.

exact same story here, only i left the box in my car cause i know if i have it here on my desk with me i won't get much work done. 4.5 hours and counting...

I just picked up Crysis: Special Edition on my break, and i'm going through the packaging at work just waiting for the clock to tick down. 4 more hours to go...:rolleyes:

Anyway, after picking up the game I got more excited to play it then I thought I would. The concept art book inside tided me over for a while. But, I noticed in the box there were 3 DVDs. One said "Disc 1: Game," and the other said "Disc 2: Audio." (Disc 3 is bonus material) I thought that was interesting it came on 2 DVDs apparantly for the install. I've never seen a multi-dvd install for a game.

Anyway, i'll be updating on my impressions of the game here, and hopefully the rest of you will too.

Come oooon 7:00pm.

I just got my copy in the mail and got to play it for a bit, what's really disappointing is I have to run it on medium settings to get a decent frame rate =(. And the second disc is just the soundtrack, you don't use it for install. Honestly it seems that it's just a glorified, good looking FPS with a few cool additions. I still like it though.

I can't join any server. it says "you have been disconnected by server". Its unblocked by windows firewall. specs in sig.

Perfectdisk 2.0 is readying my Raptor for it now..:cool:Installing shortly!!

It's proof that the theory of "it's just a demo...don't act like it's the final" no longer applies. The demo is pretty much pixel for pixel the same as the game. For me performance was a little better...but it's still just like the demo.
I'd like to know where the game they showed at E3 '06 went. I miss those snakes and photo-realistic trees at 100 frames per second.
Granted it's still an amazing game, but it really feels more like a smaller step up from Far Cry rather than this giant graphical juggernaut some were expecting.
I like the suit and the various functions, but there's something missing that I just can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the balancing of the powers or the toggle or something...but there's just something missing. I found the demo's rapid changing of powers and techniques to be a little too much "best case scenario."

Multiplayer was a lie. DX10 is the exact same as DX9 with slightly better graphics and terrible performance.

Multithreading optimizations and "15% per core" better frame rate is also a lie. I am not recommending this to anyone. Cevat Yerli can suck my balls for lying so blatantly about so many things.

Multiplayer was a lie. DX10 is the exact same as DX9 with slightly better graphics and terrible performance.

Multithreading optimizations and "15% per core" better frame rate is also a lie. I am not recommending this to anyone. Cevat Yerli can suck my balls for lying so blatantly about so many things.

I'm sure the game will be optimized by later patches.

I am sure it will be a few frames per second at most. The Multiplayer aspect is a scam.

I guess I'm not terribly surprised. With everything Crytek was claiming I was skeptical to say the least.

I wasn't a huge fan of far cry - I prefer more cinematic games despite the linearity - so I wasn't exactly expecting crysis to reinvent the genre, but I think it suffers under the weight of its own hype machine. I think people were expecting a bit too much from the game. Don't get me wrong, the screenshots of the game with maxed settings are nothing short of astounding, but the gameplay comes in second after the graphics

Basically, it's far cry with the suit gimmick and an updated engine. That's all the more I was expecting so I'm not disappointed, but I also wasn't anticipating the release with bated breath.

I am sure it will be a few frames per second at most. The Multiplayer aspect is a scam.

How so? I don't expect a significant online presence for a week or two while everyone finishes the SP, but gameplay was good in the beta. At the minimum, I think the Power Struggle mode plays like Battlefield Done Right, and that isn't bad at all.

I don't see what anyone could be disappointed with except for the performance.

It offers more than most games which get ratings of 9+/10 and it's much more advanced than other games in terms of graphics, AI, animations, and physics. Plus it basically has ETQW as an online mode. Why's everyone so down?

Also, if you want good performance, don't use Vista. Simple as that. You can use "very high" settings in XP with maybe 25% better performance or just "high" settings with better performance. Either way, it runs better, so if you have a high-end system, there's no point running the game at 30 fps when you can have 40. Also, since when is 1920x1200 the minimum required resolution?

Oh and it is a giant graphical leap because it uses technology never used before in games (like ambient occlusion maps for more realistic-looking in-door areas and animation and physics blending for feet, items you grab, etc.) and it simply looks miles above anything else...and don't forget there's more to it than just the nice forests. If anything better-looking comes out in 2008 then you could maybe say Crysis isn't such a step up...but as some of you might have noticed, game graphics have pretty much stopped at the PS3/XBox 360 level since most big budget games are console games now (and they're just ported over with extra HDR effects and small changes). Crysis is ahead of its time, just like Far Cry was. You'll realize that when other big new games come out in 2008 looking worse than Crysis and having almost no interaction with the environment (except for Far Cry 2).

I just got my copy in the mail and got to play it for a bit, what's really disappointing is I have to run it on medium settings to get a decent frame rate =(. And the second disc is just the soundtrack, you don't use it for install. Honestly it seems that it's just a glorified, good looking FPS with a few cool additions. I still like it though.

That's what I am talking about. The game is not enjoyable on 1680 x 1050 / High settings. When there is no action, the game is pretty smooth, 35+ FPS, but on action scenes it drops to 10 FPS. I can lower the settings, but then, it doesn't look that nice.. Seriously, I lost interest in this game.

All I can say is its on very high settings, it plays fast enough to be enjoyable, will need a new next gen vid card to play at really high resos. The graphics are fantastic and so has been the game play so far. Very happy with the game!!!!! Just my experience. It does push the system!!

I agree. I just got through some of it, and I am playing it on Vista at 1280x1024 with AA off, and everything on High settings. I could probably tweak a little more to get some extra out of it, but it's very playable at these settings and still looks great. The game is awesome. GOTY so far for me.

just got to the part after jester gets snatched by the alien. i'm looking forward to new scenery since i played the demo about 15 times. i'm playing on delta which i highly recommend. there's something very satisfying about killing guys by firing from the hip with no crosshairs.

Nice. So when did this come out? It said everywhere the 16th and thats a couple days off yet, but its at fry's and best buy on the shelves.

I could have been rocking this game all day dammit - like i always say - I WISH THEY WOULD GET THE RELEASE DATES RIGHT, what the hell is the deal:mad:

Nice. So when did this come out? It said everywhere the 16th and thats a couple days off yet, but its at fry's and best buy on the shelves.

I could have been rocking this game all day dammit - like i always say - I WISH THEY WOULD GET THE RELEASE DATES RIGHT, what the hell is the deal:mad:

My local GameStop has it....but the Hastings Music and Video....said they can't sell it till the 15th....WTF? Needless to say I told Hastings where they can put that copy I wanted....Circuit City has it, but my local Best Buy doesn't and wanted to special order it for me...LOL.

If you liked beta mp/sp demo. You will love this game. It has some of the same minor bugs/glitches but it definitely feels alot more streamlined and smoother. The armor doesnt seem as strong as I die and kill people faster. Another notable was the use of nanosuit energy costs seems to have increased along with slower health generation.

just got done playing over an hour and I must say this is one of the best games i have played in a while. I am running at 1680x1050 with everything up high and it looks great, good times so far.

I just got home from work and am installing my Special Ed. copy now. What the hell is Gamespy Comrade and should I install it? It's under Custom Install. I can't find reference to it in the Booklet. I've got GH3 for PC to install too.:D

I am skeptic this will play ok on my system. I have had a ton of problems with games on it. Might have to install on XP Pro. Does anyone know if the game supports SLI since the demo didn't.

I am skeptic this will play ok on my system. I have had a ton of problems with games on it. Might have to install on XP Pro. Does anyone know if the game supports SLI since the demo didn't.

Thought there was talk of new Nvidia drivers that support SLI in Crysis.
Just check the forums, I forget where on the (H)Forums I saw them talked about.

Does anyone else think the ending is damned impossible? (the very very last boss)

i died 100-150 times. AFTER scaling it back to "easy" AND learning very well how to cloak-whore.

Does anyone else think the ending is damned impossible? (the very very last boss)

i died 100-150 times. AFTER scaling it back to "easy" AND learning very well how to cloak-whore.

*spoiler*

Are you talking about the one that walks on the deck of the ship or the flying one? For some reason I thought the walker was the last boss so I'm just asking. The way I beat the last boss was take out the turrets, take out one hand, back up towards the door you came out of and shoot down the enemies with the gauss rifle (2 shots each) and then get back to what I was doing. The entire fight I kept armor on and kept moving around. Gauss rifle is key this fight.

My local GameStop has it....but the Hastings Music and Video....said they can't sell it till the 15th....WTF? Needless to say I told Hastings where they can put that copy I wanted....Circuit City has it, but my local Best Buy doesn't and wanted to special order it for me...LOL.

interesting....usually best buy is slow as hell to get releases on the shelves - i.e., release date is the 13th, but thats WHEN THE TRUCK COMES IN - its not officially on the shelves till the 14th etc....but they have it in stock on the shelves in the store availability section of the website, WTH?

oh well, i'll stop by after work and see whats up

I only played maybe 30-45min last night, but i had played the SP demo. I can say i think the game is great. The graphics are very slick, gameplay is different, and the fact you can play the same level 3-4 different ways is a cool feature. It is not the perfecet game by any means, but i really enjoy it thus far, and i can see myself playing it a few times over.

As a side note. i for one do not care that i can't run it on very high, with 8xAA at ultra high res. I think it's great that the game will push your systems. What the hell is the point of a high end system if nothing ever comes out to let you make use of it. I hope other games come out that will bring my machine to it's knee's...at least there will be something to look forward to in system upgrades.

I don't know about you guys, but I can run it on higher settings than the demo. I am pretty much maxing everything out at 16x10 (aside from AF) with and X1900XT w/2.9 opty. Wohoo!!!!!!!!

PS. I tried to track the FPS improvement but fraps won't work now. It did with the demo. Anyone else having issues with FRAPS. Oh and by the way I closed FRAPS two times to restart it and Crysis locked up both times.

I had FRAPS running this morning on the FULL release version of Crysis.. I started "Cry"ing.. With ALL of my settings set to medium (minus the sound), I average about 26 FPS using the 1080P resolution option. Ughhh.. My setup is in my signature and 2 8800GTS 640mb cards are pretty much worthless. Am I missing something? Surely I am. Do I need to use the tilde key to enable something within the game? This is a very sad day when a $7,000 custom rig can't even break 30 FPS.

I had FRAPS running this morning on the FULL release version of Crysis.. I started "Cry"ing.. With ALL of my settings set to medium (minus the sound), I average about 26 FPS using the 1080P resolution option. Ughhh.. My setup is in my signature and 2 8800GTS 640mb cards are pretty much worthless. Am I missing something? Surely I am. Do I need to use the tilde key to enable something within the game? This is a very sad day when a $7,000 custom rig can't even break 30 FPS.

To hell with it I know I am not getting it if you can't even break 30fps with my sli 8800gts's. You smoke my rig in number crunching with that quad and full x16 bandwith so I know I can't compete. Not worth the headache. :mad:

It is rather disheartening to see that even on the best PCs out there Crysis will struggle to reach 30fps on resolutions above 1600x1200.
Every game, including COD4, I have in my collection I can play at 1920x1200 with 4xAA, 8XAF with max detail and get a lovely smooth framerate on Vista.
But I can only get around 20-24fps on HIGH and that's with AA off.
Yet the two of the cores show about 50% and the other two cores only show 15% use. Not good.
The game feels rushed to me. I just hope future patches will improve the performance on high end PCs, otherwise I feel like I spent all that money upgrading my PC for nothing.
Don't get me wrong, I love the game but I just wished I was able to play with all the eye candy on at high res and still have a nice smooth framerate.
Oh well :D

Im getting BETTER performance in DX10 then DX9, and MUCH worse performance in 64bit as opposed to 32bit. Can anyone else confirm/deny?

But I can only get around 20-24fps on HIGH and that's with AA off.
Yet the two of the cores show about 50% and the other two cores only show 15% use. Not good.
That's because you (and nearly everyone else playing on highest settings) are GPU limited.
The bottleneck is not your processor, but your GPU. If you want to play on max settings at high resolutions, then wait for the next gen ATI and nVidia cards.

I don't know about you guys, but I can run it on higher settings than the demo. I am pretty much maxing everything out at 16x10 (aside from AF) with and X1900XT w/2.9 opty. Wohoo!!!!!!!!

PS. I tried to track the FPS improvement but fraps won't work now. It did with the demo. Anyone else having issues with FRAPS. Oh and by the way I closed FRAPS two times to restart it and Crysis locked up both times.

I have not tried fraps yet, however, I am almost certain that I am getting better frame rates. Will have to check it out

This is a very sad day when a $7,000 custom rig can't even break 30 FPS

You spent $7000 and all you have to show for GPU muscle is 8800GTS in SLI? :rolleyes:

No offense, but if you want to break 30fps you'll need something more powerful in SLI. :p

(gain 2fps with 8800Ultra in SLI)

That's because you (and nearly everyone else playing on highest settings) are GPU limited.
The bottleneck is not your processor, but your GPU. If you want to play on max settings at high resolutions, then wait for the next gen ATI and nVidia cards.

That is just stupid! This gen has been a disappointment, there has been no games to really stake claim to being DX10 must haves, yet Crysis was positioned to be that one. If we can't enjoy the next gen now with our shinny new high end cards then why bother with the gen after this :mad:!

That is just stupid! This gen has been a disappointment, there has been no games to really stake claim to being DX10 must haves, yet Crysis was positioned to be that one. If we can't enjoy the next gen now with our shinny new high end cards then why bother with the gen after this :mad:!

That is what happens when you buy hardware for a game that hasn't been released - you have no idea how it will really run by the time it actually comes out.

Think of all those people who bought 9800XT's for HL2 before its "Fall 2003" release....

Back