Crysis 2 DX11 Tessellation & High-Res Texture Pack @ [H]

I found this.

http://downloadnplay.com/

I bought the Crysis 2 key for $24. Legit and the guys over there were really friendly and helpful. They just send you a picture of the key another picture of the registering it in Origin. I already had the game installed, popped in the key and it worked perfect. Then registered it with Origin. I didn't want to spend $60 for this game but had no problem with $24.

I found the DX11/textures to be a heavy hitter on my system. I ended up turning everything from Ultra to Extreme, post processing to High, Blur to Low to get the smoothness I want to play at.

Last edited:
OK.

I got this as a gift, retail packed DVD.

Should I load it up?
If I do, will the game patch itself to 1.9?

There's so much hate in here I'm afraid if I load the game my computer might explode.:eek:

Or Jesus might desend from heaven to counsel me.

OK.

I got this as a gift, retail packed DVD.

Should I load it up?
If I do, will the game patch itself to 1.9?

There's so much hate in here I'm afraid if I load the game my computer might explode.:eek:

Or Jesus might desend from heaven to counsel me.

Personally I didn't have any problems installing and patching the game. After installing I ran the game and it automatically started updating. (Although I had already installed the game since March/April and updated to the first patches back then) In my case it updated last week from an earlier patch to patch 1.9.

After that, I installed the DX 11 pack and the texture pack and ran the game again. (I forgot to restart but the game still ran great)

I realize that every computer is different and they will not all respond the same. But normally, the process should be going smooth.

Last edited:
Crysis updated itself to 1.9 when I tried to start it. Then I installed the two patches without issue.

If you start the game using the "crysis2.exe", the game will not check for updates. If you start using "Crysis2Launcher.exe", it will check for updates and install them.

I also had no problems at all installing the patch, DX11, and Texture Pack. Seems the only ones who did have problems was Hardocp. I regularly read Hardocp but these guys really need to get off their bias against this game, it's really apparent that it has become personal for some reason (like someone screwed someone's wife or something) and they are just making themselves look bad. They are usually regarded in high esteem for their experience but in this case hardly anyone agrees with them, even the loyal Hardocp crowd.

Hmmm maybe I could understand the bitching if there were great numbers of PC titles available that are higher quality in graphics and/or gameplay. Sadly there aren't so I fail to see what benchmark Crysis 2 is being judged against. It looks fine in both DX9 and DX11 and the gameplay is standard shooter fare. Far from the "disaster" that some proclaim it to be.

With respect to the article, it was just a biased, emotional, impatient, unprofessional rant. You can highlight real or perceived flaws in a product without letting such an obvious lack of objectivity shine through. The complete disregard for contrary opinions says everything you need to know about the piece. I'm no reviewer and have spent far more than 4 hours debugging hardware and software issues over the years. It comes with the territory so get over it.

More importantly, get over yourselves. It's just a game.

It's still a good game and the gameplay is stronger than the original. I find it baffling that people are essentially boycotting Crysis 2 because it didn't have DX11 out of the box and didn't set a new standard in graphics, yet Portal 2 gets free passes for its dated graphics and consolised on-screen prompts because graphics don't matter.

Well for me Crysis 2 will always be superior to Portal 2, cause of the dumb steam requirement. Is steam convenient? Yes. Does the program rob legit customers of their hard earned money? Yes!!! (not everyone obviously but enough for it to be unacceptable.)

Seems the only ones who did have problems was Hardocp.

It "seems" like that because:

A.) You didn't read the article OR the thread where Crytek is UP TO THEIR NECK in complaints about people having the same issue. (17 pages of complaints)

B.) You don't really care, you just wanted to take a cheap shot at us.

C.) Both A & B.

If by "bias" you mean we have a problem with companies that screws over our readers, then yes..we do. Just because YOU weren't affected doesn't mean a LOT of people weren't hosed. The difference is, we care about all those other people.

More importantly, get over yourselves. It's just a game.

LOL!!! You wrote all that and then said "get over yourselves." You might want to take a bit of your own advice there sir. :D

damn i missed this article... now i have a new source for my hardocp fail pic

I can't believe how anti Crytek this article was. It is not what I usually expect from HardOCP. I for one had no issue whatever with the upgrade. The game automatically patched to 1.9 when I started it and it was extremely easy and fast to add on the DirectX11 patch. I doubt I will go through the whole game again but it was worth a look.
As for the game itself while I was a bit dissapointed with the lack of freedom in the levels and the textures were a bit lo-res at times, I still finished the game which I don't with most games as I usually become bored half way through.
Apart from the lo-res textures I found the graphics excellent, especially the lighting which is the best I have seen in any game. The fact that it runs smoothly on moderate graphics cards is not something to complain about. Complaints should go to games like DA2 which looks like rubbish next to Crysis 2 and runs like a dog unless you have a GTX580 or similar.

Crytech PR
your account is 4 days old nice try

Ok, why did you even do this article? There aren't many articles on games here and you pick this one, why? Didn't you say you liked F3AR more, why not do an article on that instead?

The outcome of this article was already sealed from the beginning, the issues with the install were just more fuel for the fire.

If by "bias" you mean we have a problem with companies that screws over our readers, then yes..we do.

The makers of Crysis didn't screw over anyone. You make them out like this evil company who's only mission in life was to screw over the poor readers of Hardocp. So Hardocp comes to the rescue to tell that company what time it is. Problem is Hardocp with all their triple vid cards and giant triple screens have forgotten themselves what time it is along the way and forgot just how to have fun. That's what I've taken from all the Hardocp bashing of Crytek. Keep defending your actions on this Hardocp, you've dug yourself such a deep hole over this that it's quite hard to hear what you say now. I'm done with my ranting, I think I'm going to go have some fun and play Crysis 2. :cool:

If by "bias" you mean we have a problem with companies that screws over our readers, then yes..we do. Just because YOU weren't affected doesn't mean a LOT of people weren't hosed. The difference is, we care about all those other people.

Oh come on, you care "about all those other people" :p There's fuckloads of games that have fuckloads of more widespread problems than Crysis 2 and I never see you guys making articles about them. Where's your witcher 2 article about people not being able to play the game at launch and awkward patches? Where's your article on Darksiders save corruption? Where's your article on almost every other game that has some game breaking bug that cause a minority of users problems.

There's a thread of people complaining about problems on the official site? Who cares, almost every game in existence that has an official forum there'll be a thread or two of people with problems. I remember Gears of War half the bloody threads on the main page of the epic forums were people with problems. I haven't noticed any people complaining on [H] forums which to me suggests the problem isn't any more wide spread than the random bugs that affect any other game.

If you guys didn't like the game that's fine, liking or not liking a game is personal preference, but I agree with what other people have said, that if you're going to write an article you should at least try and be unbiased.

well you can add me to the list of people that has problems loading their games. I start a new game, quit, then try to load it and it crashes. sucks. i actually wanted to give this game an extra try.

Well for me Crysis 2 will always be superior to Portal 2, cause of the dumb steam requirement. Is steam convenient? Yes. Does the program rob legit customers of their hard earned money? Yes!!! (not everyone obviously but enough for it to be unacceptable.)

lol..I bought Supreme Commander 2 for cheap. I had no internet at the time but I wanted to try it out. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't even install the game without Steam or an internet connection. wha-wha-What?1!!? I had no idea games were shipping that way.

I didn't buy Crysis 2. I don't usually pre-order games either. BF3 is my first pre-order ever.

I can't fucking believe what they did with that game. How they could devolve from Warhead to that game I have no clue- Completely forget the script and character development of the previous two games. It makes me sick thinking about it...like a game could have that much power over me. :( Crysis 3 better be a PC masterpiece if they expect to win customers back. I can already see boycotts of Crysis 3. Websites devoted to boycotting Crytek. Where do I sign-up?

Problem is Hardocp with all their triple vid cards and giant triple screens have forgotten themselves what time it is along the way and forgot just how to have fun.

If taking four and a half hours to install a patch is "fun," we'll pass. :cool:

Oh come on, you care "about all those other people" :p There's fuckloads of games that have fuckloads of more widespread problems than Crysis 2.

What you are saying is, "hey, other games are broke, why complain about this one?" Nice. :(

I'm hesitant to post this, but I haven't experienced any of the issues noted in the article. The patches installed quickly and easily, and I didn't require any restarting. Obviously this is one of those YMMV situations, but it's not all doom and gloom for everyone.

In fact, the updated visuals have prompted another playthrough. Yeah it may not be the sequel we all wanted, but I'm able to enjoy it none-the-less.

I run a 6950 shader unlocked and having no issues whatsoever with the game other than running on "extreme" to get the smooth gameplay I want at 1920 x 1080. Done nothing special to make it run either.

I didn't buy Crysis 2. I don't usually pre-order games either. BF3 is my first pre-order ever.

I can't fucking believe what they did with that game. How they could devolve from Warhead to that game I have no clue- Completely forget the script and character development of the previous two games. It makes me sick thinking about it...like a game could have that much power over me. :( Crysis 3 better be a PC masterpiece if they expect to win customers back. I can already see boycotts of Crysis 3. Websites devoted to boycotting Crytek. Where do I sign-up?

Seeing as how Crysis 3 will probably be done on the next generation of consoles *crosses fingers*, maybe it can achieve the greatness that was the first one and Warhead. I went back to play Warhead, and what a difference. Warhead is amazing and I enjoy it far more than Crysis 2.

And here's an awesome compilation of gameplay footage from Crysis. Good stuff: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH9y2NKYxcM&feature=feedu"]YouTube - ‪Crysis Vestige - The Lost Project‬‏[/ame]

. I went back to play Warhead, and what a difference. Warhead is amazing and I enjoy it far more than Crysis 2.

I think I upgrade my hardware just so I can play Crysis and Warhead over again. I just got a new 27" monitor and an HD 6950 is on the way. I think i'll be playing through them again shortly.:D

So nice to see everyone out and about!

Heh, yeah, I finally got the DX11/Hi-res patches installed, and I don't think they lived up to my expectations, unfortunately. Maybe it was too subtle or something, but I like to think I am a really stickler for image quality. I don't know, I just felt the performance loss was too great, and the "improved visuals" were too slight. If anyone cares about that aspect of things, here's what I did:

I reverted to the retail [DX9] Crysis 2, and downloaded the Crysis 2 Advanced Graphics Options Application. Using the AGO utility settings, I set all the graphics options to "Extreme"—effectively one notch above 'Hardcore', if I understand the developer correctly—and left the in-game settings alone. In my opinion, the game looks great, and frames have skyrocketed back up to 90+. Heh, and that will work for me.

Of course, you can max out the AGO and also turn the in-game setting to Hardcore, but the performance takes a major hit, and I'm not sure the image quality improves much. But then again, that type of thing tends to be very subjective, I guess.

As far as the gameplay goes, I suppose I haven't gotten to the much-storied "second half" of the game, because it has been a little tedious, so far. I will still soldier on, tho! I have to say, I was really sad to see SPOILER ALERT Prophet go in the first minutes of the game END SPOILER. The voice acting is an area where I feel the game really suffers, and that was a major factor, I think. I could have handled the overreaching let's-employ-a-novelist storyline, but without the decent-quality voice acting of the previous games, the whole thing just comes off like a Saturday morning cartoon.

That said, I am not enraged; I am not butthurt. Let's have Crysis 3! :D

I found the voice acting to be fine. Don't confuse voice acting with voice direction. Bad acting sounds like they're reading from the script. Bad direction has stale emotions and written dialogue, which doesn't fit the scene.

*possible spoilers*
One example of good acting was when Tara Strickland told Gould to "shut your fucking mouth!", she had to put the right amount of stress right as she busted the door open. Imagine trying to do that in a booth by yourself with just a script.

I found the voice acting to be fine. Don't confuse voice acting with voice direction. Bad acting sounds like they're reading from the script. Bad direction has stale emotions and written dialogue, which doesn't fit the scene.
Heh, well, I guess it's bad voice acting and bad voice direction. Or maybe it's just Gould. Haha. Every time he chimes in to tell me to hurry up, or offer some other annoyance (much less his painful diatribe in the office), it just takes me out of the experience. Whereas in the original games, there were interspersed little radio chatter comments that added to the realism, and even one or two decent monologues (via Prophet).

Meh, it's "just a game," as they say, but I notice little things like that.

Last edited:
Well "just a game" is an excuse to ignore everything but gameplay, which IMO isn't *all* what games are about. I think it's good to notice, critique, or appreciate what goes into everything about a game, and that includes voice work.

Anyway, it sounds like you dislike the direction to have more "theater" type of dialogue/monologue rather than casual conversation. Since the hero is silent, there isn't any conversation taking place with him either. Gould was probably directed to be an annoying scientist dude so working as intended? :D

I did find some parts pretty laughable, such as when he was at his apartment upset about Prophet's death. He said something like "Damn it to hell!" which doesn't at all fit the mood. Bad scripting perhaps? I dunno, but the actor couldn't just scream his lungs out in that situation either. The apartment had a calm "safe haven" mood to it. I think good direction in that situation would have less dialogue and all visual emotion.

Gould was probably directed to be an annoying scientist dude so working as intended? :D
Haha, maybe so. :)

Interestingly, even under the new direction, I thought Prophet's (heh, slightly over-the-top) monologue in the introduction was still one of the highlights thus far.

Yeah he has a more omnipotent feel, which fits the theatrical monologues. I'll just leave it at that to avoid spoilers. :eek:

There was a slight departure in his dialect though, he sounds more "African American" than the "father figure" I felt in Crysis 1.

Well just got this game a week ago and so far enjoying it. I never played any of the previous Crysis games so I didn't really have high expectations. The game does feel really linear though, which I'm not a fan of. I just bought Crysis (downloading now) so I'll be comparing the two shortly.

I own Crysis 2. Used my retail boxed CD to activate it on Origin. It wasn't that hard.

Gameplay wise I don't enjoy Crysis 2. I had a much better time with Crysis 1.

So this patch gets released, I try to launch Crysis 2 via Origin and it tells me that the mega patch needs to be installed, so I wait however long it is and it finally installed. It installed without a hitch.

My biggest gripe is that Origin sucks. If this was steam, Crysis 2 would have been auto downloaded over night, ready to play the latest version a LOT earlier.

Crysis 2 sucks, Origin sucks... PC gaming is going down hill. But every now and then we are blessed with a diamond in the rough. Just not by Crysis 2.

First they royally screw up Farcry 2 now it's Crysis 2. Crytek is going down hill fast.

What you are saying is, "hey, other games are broke, why complain about this one?" Nice. :(

That's not what I said at all and you know it :p If you're going to go use the excuse of "caring about all those other people" its pretty hollow and meaningless when you only "care" about them in the context of a single game that you have problems with and a lot of people dont. Otherwise you start sounding like those whinging forum members who say all games are perfect and bug free assuming they dont get problems, but as soon as they do look out because they'll bitch about it until the cows come home... except you aren't forum members, you're writing these up as articles.

First they royally screw up Farcry 2 now it's Crysis 2. Crytek is going down hill fast.

Crytek didn't make Farcry 2.

Sometimes I wonder what this mystical Crysis 1/Crysis Warhead is that people talk about. They seemed to have played this magical game that was awesome fun and a despicable Crysis 2 with no joy what so ever.

I however played a Crysis 1 which had average gameplay wrapped in ahead of its time graphics and open environments, while I played a Crysis 2 that had enjoyable gunplay with top end graphics and performance and slightly less open but still well designed levels. :p

It really seems to me these days people are going into games WANTING to hate them. Its like they need something to fucking moan about. Personally I go into games wanting to get a little fun and Crysis 2 supplied that to me.

Crysis 2 is the biggest let down in pc gaming that I can remember and Crytek should be taken outside and shot for releasing this game under the crysis name.

This is the last Crytek game I will buy on preorder. Crytek promised us a full on pc game and all we got was a crippled unfinished and restricted game ported from the ever ageing consoles. In the 30 years I have been gaming I have never seen a sequel look worst than its predessor. :(

Sometimes I wonder what this mystical Crysis 1/Crysis Warhead is that people talk about. They seemed to have played this magical game that was awesome fun and a despicable Crysis 2 with no joy what so ever.

I however played a Crysis 1 which had average gameplay wrapped in ahead of its time graphics and open environments, while I played a Crysis 2 that had enjoyable gunplay with top end graphics and performance and slightly less open but still well designed levels.
I think I made it pretty clear my reasons for thus far feeling dissatisfied with C2. Crysis 1 and Warhead used art and voice direction to create a very taut, tense, environment and a sense of urgency. Yes, the graphics were a very nice touch, but people who say it was just an "average game with above average graphics" must play games very differently from me.

I just naturally pick apart bad voice direction or poor storytelling. Playing Crysis and Warhead, I wasn't able to easily to do that, so I could sit back and let myself fall into them. I felt the same way about the first Gears of War, and the Uncharted games, bytheway, if you need the halo removed from the Crysis games.

Like I said, I have been able to easily pick apart the conventions and poor execution in the latest game, and that's why my enjoyment is down. It's not because of the graphics, which I think are very nice. Hey, different strokes, I guess.

I just naturally pick apart bad voice direction or poor storytelling...

I can appreciate that. Its something I dont really pay attention to myself. To me if the gunplay is fun then the story, voices, storytelling are all just a bonus. Though I understand what you mean, I naturally pick apart physics engines and if a game has a good but not-quite-right physics engine I'll spend more time focusing on the flaws than enjoying it to the point I'd rather have a simplistic physics engine than a complicated one that doesn't look natural.

The voice acting in C2 was pretty shit compared to the conversations with Nomad, Psycho and Prophet in the first game, I guess it just didn't bother me all that much since I enjoyed the actual gameplay.

Hey, different strokes, I guess.

Yeah of course... I didn't mean to say people aren't entitled to an opinion. If you enjoyed C1 and Warhead more than C2 that's entirely up to you. My main point is just that C2 is far from having no merit and can be enjoyed on different levels, if not the same levels as C1.

There's having an opinion, then there's having an opinion which causes you to be harshly (or maybe to softly) biased, then there's having an opinion which causes you to be harshly biased and writing an article about it. There's a big fuck off difference between saying "I didn't enjoy the game for these reasons" and "I hope Cevat Yerli chokes on this giant flaccid floppy penis of a game"... and people complain Duke Nukem is a childish character :p

The voice acting in C2 was pretty shit compared to the conversations with Nomad, Psycho and Prophet in the first game, I guess it just didn't bother me all that much since I enjoyed the actual gameplay.
Right on, I get that. Just glad I'm not the only one who noticed the difference. Definitely some games (DiRT, NFS Most Wanted) I have enjoyed despite pointless, or mediocre storylines because the action was great.

There's a big fuck off difference between saying "I didn't enjoy the game for these reasons" and "I hope Cevat Yerli chokes on this giant flaccid floppy penis of a game"... and people complain Duke Nukem is a childish character.
Haha. Fair enough. I just think, even though at least the first half of C2 is kind of a miss for me, I still think studios like Crytek will motivate other studios to push the envelope, and that's good for PC gamers. I hope they take feedback from this release and make the necessary improvements for the future.

I've gotta say, for a cross-platform release, it's a pretty good-looking game. Along with The Last Guardian, and a few others, I look forward to some good Crytek releases.

I knew from day 1 that crysis would suck ass if its not shipping with dx9. F THAT. Did not spend my money on this abortion

I knew from day 1 that crysis would suck ass if its not shipping with dx9. F THAT. Did not spend my money on this abortion

If you see this game as an abortion with DX9, your eyes and taste for games is so much different from mine that we might as well be on a different planet. That sounded like something that Hardocp would say. This game to me ranks in the mid 9s even without the DX11 stuff. Don't know what game is going to make you happy if you can say this about this game. I wonder if you've even played this game all the way through. I'd guess most who bash it haven't. Just my opinion.

If you're going to go use the excuse of "caring about all those other people" its pretty hollow and meaningless when you only "care" about them in the context of a single game that you have problems with and a lot of people dont. Otherwise you start sounding like those whinging forum members who say all games are perfect and bug free assuming they dont get problems, but as soon as they do look out because they'll bitch about it until the cows come home... except you aren't forum members, you're writing these up as articles.

While you may think what we do here is "hollow" and "meaningless" I personally think that there isn't a website out there that does more for its readers, gives back more to the community or puts its readers first like we do. If there is, please let me know.

I am sorry your feelings are hurt that we pointed out legitimate issues with the patch that were verified by Crytek, but there really isn't a need to insult us by insinuating we have ulterior motives or what we do here is "hollow" and "meaningless."

Thankfully you voiced your opinion, now I know where you stand and what you think about us.

BTW: Not sure what / who "whinging forum members" are.

Back