Crysis 2 DX11 Tessellation & High-Res Texture Pack @ [H]

LOL, this is still going on?

You have a different opinion than I do! OH NOES!

Maybe because the end result is a noticeably boost in gameplay immersion and enjoyment? Because we know going in it's new developing tech that's not 100% supported or ironed out. Because there was no "promise" or douche-baggery from the folks offering it?

just a hunch... I can't speak for any specific person, but it's easy enough to imagine why one might find it worth the effort.

If a reviewer doesn't write about these flaws, then how would the reader know about them? I'm not taking sides, there may be a good reason not to mention them. Maybe Kyle actually mentions them and neither of you noticed, but as an outsider, none of the reasons you proposed seem like good ones reasons not to mention existing flaws.

If a reviewer doesn't write about these flaws, then how would the reader know about them? I'm not taking sides, there may be a good reason not to mention them. Maybe Kyle actually mentions them and neither of you noticed, but as an outsider, none of the reasons you proposed seem like good ones reasons not to mention existing flaws.

There's PLENTY of information about issues with technologies such as Eyefinity or Surround. I've had Surround for a year now and it's actually worked better than I would have thought going in. The biggest issue is simply support, a number of new games simply don't have support for multi-monitor out of the box at launch though usually within a month there's a hack or support, F3AR is the latest game that I bought that didn't have multi-monitor support but that was fixed in about a week.

But multi-monitor is for much more than gaming, at least for me. As a software developer I just love having the screen real estate to work on, its a great productivity booster.

Finally reinstalled the game and patched it up. With a single, unlocked 6950 I average 25-30 fps. In terms of hardware taxing this is what the game should have been out of the box. However I honestly dodn't feel the spit shine was enough to warrant another playthrough or tolerate the borderline fps.

I'm guessing surround works better than eyefinity if all you find to be an issue is game support.

Above is Crytek's original texture work, below is the reworked version created by modders:

WIP357.jpg

none of the reasons you proposed seem like good ones reasons not to mention existing flaws.
yes i agree.

the user texture mods are great, I'm glad they let it open enough to do that kinda stuff

Nancy Grace is known for getting people whipped up into a frenzy over court cases and not only that, but getting the verdicts WRONG while she's championing the prosecutor's case every time.

Seems somewhat fitting in what you said.

P.S. I hate Nancy Grace, she was wrong about the Duke lacrosse team and judged them guilty before they even had a trial, same with Casey Anthony.

At least you played the fucking game first before rendering a verdict :p

Not-So-Fancy Nancy is also a former prosecutor - her bias there is expected.

What I found rather horrifying is that most attorneys covering the trial (including those on TruTV and FNC) also buggered up the expected decision, too.

It simply goes to show - predicting a jury's decision is all too often a crapshoot when the case relies on circumstantial evidence.

Not-So-Fancy Nancy is also a former prosecutor - her bias there is expected.

What I found rather horrifying is that most attorneys covering the trial (including those on TruTV and FNC) also buggered up the expected decision, too.

It simply goes to show - predicting a jury's decision is all too often a crapshoot when the case relies on circumstantial evidence.

Satan is dancing and laughing in hell at the Crysis 2 patch install issues!

i see this after every review here. New review gets posted and then comes all the comments bitching about the review. It's their site and they can review however the fuck they want. The same way you can review and say whatever the fuck you wanted on your own site if you had one. I personally think most of the reviews here are pretty damn good, unlike most the mickey mouse reviews on other sites.

What's left to say? People have differing opinions and no one is going to change anyone else's mind.

Move on.

How fast does a game have to fail before it reaches the event horizon of Black hole, catastrophic, Apocalyptic failure ?

I think it looks really good with the pack and at Ultra settings. Runs smooth as fuck on my 460 SLi @ 1080p.

I heard Crytek isn't going to release anymore patches, and 1.9 sucks donkey balls big time, so many issues and Crytek never even bothered fixing that issue where you can't sign into multiplayer sometimes, what a joke, at least I paid $30 for this garbage, believe me I like the game but Crytek really messed up the game, I've noticed performance drops, using a dual card setup produces more jagged edges (Never happened before 1.9), game refuses to start sometimes with this disaster of a 1.9 patch.

I heard Crytek isn't going to release anymore patches, and 1.9 sucks donkey balls big time, so many issues and Crytek never even bothered fixing that issue where you can't sign into multiplayer sometimes, what a joke, at least I paid $30 for this garbage, believe me I like the game but Crytek really messed up the game, I've noticed performance drops, using a dual card setup produces more jagged edges (Never happened before 1.9), game refuses to start sometimes with this disaster of a 1.9 patch.

They probably didn't bother fixing multiplayer because no one is playing multiplayer anymore.

Kinda like the first one it never really shined really and their lack of patch support is just sad..

Props to HardOCP for being honest.....and unlike the other idiots who're going to jump ship, I'll be spending more time here.

aha holy shit. i wonder if it's some honest artist oopsie or what?

that's pretty fucking overkill nevertheless. someone should post it on crymod.

What is even worse is that they compute a heavily tessellated sea, under the city! Yes, millions of polygons for not a single pixel rendered!
Forget that it penalizes AMD more than nVidia - it isn't free processing for nVidia either. Don't the developers care at all about worsening the experience for all customers?
As a developer (not game) who is always looking at how to optimize my code to provide the best possible user experience, I shudder at the thought of these Crytek scumbags.

Qurious, how do people who spent $60 on a game that is deliberately crippled feel about this?

city-trees-full-620.jpg

city-trees-water-mesh-620.jpg

Last edited:
What is even worse is that they compute a heavily tessellated sea, under the city! Yes, millions of polygons for not a single pixel rendered!
Forget that it penalizes AMD more than nVidia - it isn't free processing for nVidia either. Don't the developers care at all about worsening the experience for all customers?
As a developer (not game) who is always looking at how to optimize my code to provide the best possible user experience, I shudder at the thought of these Crytek scumbags.

Qurious, how do people who spent $60 on a game that is deliberately crippled feel about this?

what do you mean for millions of polygons for not a single pixel rendered?
this have no sense to me.

The programmers aren't the ones that made the level and assets... but those that enable are of course those to be blamed

I can understand that too much power is used for concrete blocks but this can pass, but why the GPU computate water also when there is no water???

Because the people doing level design probably did not realize (and no one bothered to double check) that while the water isn't being seen, it's still being rendered. Alternatively, it's a cheap trick to make your graphics card struggle like they probably thought we wanted... you know, no benefit, just stress.

I'm not so sure it was intentional, I mean maybe these are arch-viz artists making the levels now not game designers. If they are given the tools and are told "make sure that meter does not go into red" meaning they can't put so many polygons on the screen at once, then they probably just build stuff like they would normally until it hits red, then not spend much time going back trying to optimize and add more detail in... that's my theory anyways. Would be interesting to know from the folks who actually constructed these levels.

what do you mean for millions of polygons for not a single pixel rendered?
this have no sense to me.

this have no sense? :)

I mean, they have the card calculate the geometry of a huge body of water probably comprised of millions of polygons judging from the mesh, yet it is underground so all that calculation does not contribute a single pixel to the rendered scene.

And it does not really look to me like it is something "people doing level design" screwed up for various reasons.

Back