Crypto Hangover Could Take Blame for NVIDIA's Potential GeForce RTX 2060 Delay

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
There is growing suspicion NVIDIA’s mid-range RTX 2060 GPU will debut later than expected, as the company is facing a conundrum following “crypto hangover”: as MarketWatch explains, the graphics giant wants to clear its big backlog of older gaming cards, but miners selling similar gear on the secondary market are making things difficult. High-end gamers also represent another hurdle, as many are, obviously, flocking to the latest RTX products.

Due to a backlog of existing graphics cards, NVIDIA’s next-generation GeForce RTX 2060 mid-range GPUs may be delayed for a bit longer. In a call Thursday when Nvidia released its earnings report, company executives explained that the end of the cryptocurrency boom had created an oversupply of the existing mid-range GTX 1060 cards. Prices for the card didn’t fall quickly enough to attract NVIDIA’s traditional demographic of gamers, leaving the company in what it describes as a crypto hangover.

MasculinePotableArmyworm-max-1mb.gif

what the heck is the point of a RTX 2060 when you won't be able to use any of the RTX features?

Heck you can't even use RTX features comfortably on the 2070-80 series cards. I don't even see the point in buying the 2000 series of cards at all.

Now if you go dropping the price on stuff, Jensen can't buy leather jackets. So, thats not gonna happen. Jensen needs his leathers.

But if he drops the prices of the 1060's... he can RAISE the prices on the 2060's Times 2... like he did with the 1080ti/2080ti

They don't want to release the 2060 because they know everyone will stop buying the 2070 because "ray tracing" is worthless on the card (and arguably on the others).
Also in this segment of the market I am not sure how well the 2060 will compete with the rx590 (at least price wise if nothing else).

Reactions: Jza
like this
It does mope the floor the of the 1060... in power consumption!!!!! It's the 5870 Vs GTX 480, but this time Nvidia sell the 5870, but yes the 590 is great.

It's not a crypto hangover. They marked up their new product line, and instead of discounting old inventory, they are selling it as brand new tech.
I'm just pleased that gamers are showing nVidia that we aren't stupid. nVidia tried to abuse their market position and the PC gaming community said "no way". Now nVidia will reap what they sow. What are they going to do, cut the prices on the Turing cards now? That will alienate their most passionate and loyal fans. nVidia has no way out of this now. No way out that I can see, anyhow. IMO they need to focus on the 7nm cards and get them on the market ASAP.

I took the 1060 getting a faster ram upgrade as a sign the 2060 wouldn't be around for a good long while/if ever?

According to NewEgg:
1050 cards - $125-$140
1050Ti cards - $150-$170
1060 cards - $200-$230
1070 cards - $380-$400
1070Ti cards - $380-$440
1080 cards - $460-$520
1080Ti cards - starting at $1,000

2070 cards - starting at $500
2080 cards - starting at $750

Tell me folks, if you have a 1080p 60Hz monitor, why do you need anything better than a 1060 card? For about four years, I played with a 980 card and had no desire to upgrade the card because I was constrained by my 1080p 60Hz monitor. (I have since upgraded to a 1440p G-Sync Monitor and a 1080 card.)

And, for the price of a 2080 card, you get get yourself a a X-Box and a Playstation 4 and have money left over for a few games.

Another strike against nVidia.... G-Sync. True, I have a G-Sync monitor and adaptive sync technology is awesome. But, how many G-Sync monitors are available for sale in compassion to Freesync monitors? And, is it worth the price premium?

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of people are about to suffer from the crypto hangover.

Why the Fck would anyone buy a 1060 right now? Especially with the brand new, cheaper, faster, better, free sync supporting, 590 out?

Nvidia what the fck are you doing?

Oh yeah they are going to have to lower their prices. They just can't stand that idea

I think when everyone saw the insane prices for the 20x0 series of cards most of us called it.. the prices are high because they want to burn through old stock. This just confirms it. So wait until next year when prices will drop as they give up on the old chipsets and release drivers and refinements to the 20x0 series to improve RTX performance.

I suspect the major issue (and hope to be honest) is driver based. They are waiting on AMD to release a RTX capable card to blow it out of the water for free with a solid driver update to fix RTX performance and make it MORE palatable. I suspect... if I'm wrong (which I very well may be) and they just released cards that do RTX like shit to make AMD jump on the race then... I guess more power to them? If they REALLY want to scare AMD they release RTX expansion cards that work like SLI with previous gen cards to only do RTX processing.

"Crypto hangover" ???

Maybe the fact that we are just now getting back to flirting with the original MSRP, after a very long time well above, just does not sit well with most consumers these days. To add to the fire, instead of moving on from a very volatile time for gfx card pricing by offering the next generation at a decent price to force the issue, they took the opportunity to jack the prices up to what people were paying for several months knowing that the crypto craze softened the blow for higher priced gfx cards... RTG or (can't believe I am saying this) Intel really need to get the ball moving trying to at least get something close to the 2080/1080ti in performance.

Oh im sure its coming. But it wont beat out the RX 590 with a memory bump, not at the $279 price point. Nvidia would have to sell them for 229-250, Which they wont do.

Indeed and what would be the point when 580 8gb are down to $199-240 on sales with free games. Hell I just saw NE has an evga 1060 for $199 after rebate finally. Why pay $80 more for cards slightly faster, that are effectively 2 year old tech?

That hangover will turn into a migrane when AMD releases their next gen gaming GPUs. The Vega 56s have been mad popular, I suspect next gen will blow nVidia away.

I bought a GTX 960 last year around this time from Amazon for $55. I’m not gonna but last year’s midrange tech at anything less than a significant discount.

Nor am I going to pay exorbitant amounts for what is not NVidia’s flagship card. Correct me if I am wrong but the 2080ti has a gpu code of 102, when usually the true high end card code is 100.

According to NewEgg:
1050 cards - $125-$140
1050Ti cards - $150-$170
1060 cards - $200-$230
1070 cards - $380-$400
1070Ti cards - $380-$440
1080 cards - $460-$520

Tell me folks, if you have a 1080p 60Hz monitor, why do you need anything better than a 1060 card? For about four years, I played with a 980 card and had no desire to upgrade the card because I was constrained by my 1080p 60Hz monitor. (I have since upgraded to a 2K G-Sync Monitor and a 1080 card.)

And, for the price of a 2080 card, you get get yourself a a X-Box and a Playstation 4 and have money left over for a few games.

Another strike against nVidia.... G-Sync. True, I have a G-Sync monitor and adaptive sync technology is awesome. But, how many G-Sync monitors are available for sale in compassion to Freesync monitors? And, is it worth the price premium?

the 1080ti prices on Newegg are 3rd party vendors btw.
And 2k is 1080p

You probably won't even get that. Plus you'll be paying $400 for their "mid-range" card because it has the RTX features built in.
Stop calling it midrange. Anything above 300$ is high end, no matter what the product name is.

According to NewEgg:
1050 cards - $125-$140
1050Ti cards - $150-$170
1060 cards - $200-$230
1070 cards - $380-$400
1070Ti cards - $380-$440
1080 cards - $460-$520

Tell me folks, if you have a 1080p 60Hz monitor, why do you need anything better than a 1060 card? For about four years, I played with a 980 card and had no desire to upgrade the card because I was constrained by my 1080p 60Hz monitor. (I have since upgraded to a 2K G-Sync Monitor and a 1080 card.)

No man don't ya get it? the 2080ti is perfect for gaming at 1080p @60hz if you want to play with all the eye candy on max lolololol :D

Tell me folks, if you have a 1080p 60Hz monitor, why do you need anything better than a 1060 card?

Because a real "gamer" needs a 4K monitor with everything turned up to 11 - at least according to the synchronized stroking system of tech sites, game studios, and hardware producers. Whether or not the actual gameplay is even worth your time is irrelevant. What matters is max fps at max res and you don't have it.

Note that for full certification you'll also need a "gaming" keyboard, mouse, mouse pad, chair, desk, headphones, case, lighting, PSU, RAM, SSD, t-shirt, and energy drink.

Last edited:
That hangover will turn into a migrane when AMD releases their next gen gaming GPUs. The Vega 56s have been mad popular, I suspect next gen will blow nVidia away.

In 2020? They have zero plans to replace the vega 56/64 next year. They are sinking everything into "enterprise" next year.

Back