Crypto and gpu price going back

On that note, if anyone has a 1060 / RX580 they want to sell for a reasonable price, drop me a PM.

Why would they?

If you can sell a widget for 1,000 dollars to persons X, why sell it for 500 to person Y?

not sure what you are smoking but GPU prices keep going up on the store level, everytime they sell out the computer raises the price a bit. maybe 3rd party sellers are finally lowering their astronomical prices a bit, but they should just be ignored completely anyway since they are a bunch of insane asshats.

Why would they?

If you can sell a widget for 1,000 dollars to persons X, why sell it for 500 to person Y?
I don't need your econ 101 lesson, but thanks.

To answer your question, some people are more interested in helping out members of the community than they are in profiting off of other people. I give away spare car parts to people that need them all the time in my local community, because we help each other out.

I don't expect anyone to do this here, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask, apparently other than the time it took to write this reply to you :rolleyes:

nah the difficulty levels ;) that is the total hash rates :)

https://etherscan.io/chart/hashrate

Actually according to this, if all miners optimized their cards by what they found on the Inet, there are only

7 million 1070 gpu's (if all these GPU's are 1070's, which they are not) out there on Eth.

Each blockchain has the total hashrates available. So its easy to figure out how many cards are being used for mining.

I was including all ethash algo, not just ether. But it is just a guess. How many 580 are hitting 30 mh/s and how many are at 26 mh/s? I assumed for the sake of simplicity that 480=580=1070=30 mh/s.

I was including all ethash algo, not just ether. But it is just a guess. How many 580 are hitting 30 mh/s and how many are at 26 mh/s? I assumed for the sake of simplicity that 480=580=1070=30 mh/s.

ah ok yep true. There is just no way mining could have dried up the entire GPU market. Just not possible.

Reactions: noko
like this
Now that you can no longer use a major credit card to purchase crypto from an exchange, a lot of the day to day usage of currencies will decline. Before if you wanted to buy steroids or some coke you could just throw 500 bucks in bitcoin on your card and have a field day. Now it's going to require linking bank accounts and just more steps that will drive people off. IMHO that was a serious blow to the industry as a whole. Bitcoin is only valuable as lone as it's backed in USD. When that falls apart, people won't be able to turn that coke into american dollars with it anymore making it worthless. Also the more government interviens, the less open and accessible bitcoin will be. We all know that bitcoin is essentially the market, and other coins are just a means of mining on gpus instead of asics and other custom silicon.

This is a problem. I wonder if a visa debit gift card would work? Likely blocked too.

Your 1080Ti uses almost $3.75 a day in electricity? You should probably go double check the math on that one lol :p
No, maybe $1/day. $2.75/day profit after electricity cost is nothing considering the fact that I'm putting so much strain on my expensive hardware. Remember these are $800USD cards. Once the summer hits I can pretty much double the electricity cost because I will have to juice up my AC to compensate for all the heat output. If these values hold I will probably bail on mining by the summer.

not worth mining on main rig in my opinion. use separate rigs for mining. one 1080ti produces enough heat and noise as it is, screw that mess 24/7 in my box right next to my desk, no way. to each their own though.

not worth mining on main rig in my opinion. use separate rigs for mining. one 1080ti produces enough heat and noise as it is, screw that mess 24/7 in my box right next to my desk, no way. to each their own though.
Watercooled with two 1500rpm fans in a push/pull configuration the cards run silent with excellent temperatures.

lol was just thinking watercooling. undervolting helps too, but there's still the heat issue.

OT : +1 Even _clearly designated_ tongue-in-cheek comments get you infractions.
The HardForums / GenMay is one of the few remaining places to hang out.
Most everywhere else is eternal September sh*t.

Will just leave this here ...

Basically, they're not enthused about miner GPU purchases because :
- they're not brand loyal (and thus not inclined to purchased a mfg's other products)
- sales are skewed (say 10x GPUs, but only 1 mobo, no cases, fans, keyboard, mice, etc.)

I certainly can't complain, as I've sold my share of pickaxes (2x 290 + 2x 390 -> 4x 1080 for nearly free), but still.

what ... a ... stupid ... video. Does anyone here actually think more cards are not being produced out of concern that they will be left with overstock? What a bunch of BS. This guy's videos seemed ok (he seems to care what he is presenting) but after this presentation I realize he's just a pawn for the industry

what ... a ... stupid ... video. Does anyone here actually think more cards are not being produced out of concern that they will be left with overstock? What a bunch of BS. This guy's videos seemed ok (he seems to care what he is presenting) but after this presentation I realize he's just a pawn for the industry

I'm really not sure what you find so unbelievable about that. I think it's more shocking you think this doesn't happen. You do realize manufacturers are constantly trying to predict demand to produce just the right amount of supply and not have a bunch of hardware laying around right? The closer they come to equilibrium the better it is for them, and a phenomenon like mining throws a shit load of uncertainty in those predictions.

You're delusional. Can you recall a time (when mining wasn't a thing) when literally every gaming card is either sold out or selling for well above MSRP from both AMD and NVidia? I've been gaming since the days of 3dfx and I don't recall such a time. So you're either delusional or you're not, and if you're not, you'll be able to point me to such a time.

This happened between June 2016 to probably up to August. This is what happens all the time when a new GPU released. Only difference, now happens to older gentleman cards as well. I think soon GPu makers will come up with Miner focused cards that is good with video encoding and mining and average on gaming or something. It is about time.

This is a problem. I wonder if a visa debit gift card would work? Likely blocked too.

I was wondering how they were going to enforce it myself, since a credit card transaction is essentially just your account authorizing a monetary adjustment to it's current balance. I haven't checked recently but I think my Visa card allows me to take cash out of the ATM if i have a pin for it, so I don't think how buying blockchain would be any different than taking US dollars out of an atm, since it's all just coming from the same account.

It's all just big business wanting to keep the money in their pockets, and not transferred to other mediums. Once your commodity (USD or Euro or even GOLD) is absorbed by a crypto currency, there is no promising it will ever come back out of it as liquid again. If crypto coins grow large enough you're essentially looking at large scale destabilization of currency on an international level. Oh yeah, and the govenment can't make money off it so they'll come down hard on it as soon as they figure out a legal way how to (or just pass a law inventing one).

My 13 GTX 1060 are still making about $600-700/month, while electricity cost is about $150-200.
Why should I stop mining? When crypto drops, I'll just buy more cards to make up for the monthly loss.
I think a lot of miners think this way.
As long as mining is profitable, there will be a shortage of GPUs.

This happened between June 2016 to probably up to August. This is what happens all the time when a new GPU released. Only difference, now happens to older gentleman cards as well. I think soon GPu makers will come up with Miner focused cards that is good with video encoding and mining and average on gaming or something. It is about time.

There’s a BIG difference between a singular brand new GPU release being in low supply and an industry wide shortage. It’s so unrelated I dont even know why you brought it up. It’s not even the same discussion. Not to mention this shortage has also dramatically inflated the price of just about every video card you can get. Again, not even close to being the same thing.

I was wondering how they were going to enforce it myself, since a credit card transaction is essentially just your account authorizing a monetary adjustment to it's current balance. I haven't checked recently but I think my Visa card allows me to take cash out of the ATM if i have a pin for it, so I don't think how buying blockchain would be any different than taking US dollars out of an atm, since it's all just coming from the same account.

It's all just big business wanting to keep the money in their pockets, and not transferred to other mediums. Once your commodity (USD or Euro or even GOLD) is absorbed by a crypto currency, there is no promising it will ever come back out of it as liquid again. If crypto coins grow large enough you're essentially looking at large scale destabilization of currency on an international level. Oh yeah, and the govenment can't make money off it so they'll come down hard on it as soon as they figure out a legal way how to (or just pass a law inventing one).
I should be able to go to Coinbase and use my Visa to transfer into USD, and of course buy what I want there on the current fire sale. Have not tried that but might try that to see what happens.

There's a good chance that the market is going to revert to the october/early november numbers, which is essentially where it should be, had bitcoin not exploded into mainstream finance and inflated beyond measure. Unfortunately, there have been some major blows to crypto recently, including the serious one involving credit cards. Now that you can no longer use a major credit card to purchase crypto from an exchange, a lot of the day to day usage of currencies will decline. Before if you wanted to buy steroids or some coke you could just throw 500 bucks in bitcoin on your card and have a field day. Now it's going to require linking bank accounts and just more steps that will drive people off. IMHO that was a serious blow to the industry as a whole. Bitcoin is only valuable as lone as it's backed in USD. When that falls apart, people won't be able to turn that coke into american dollars with it anymore making it worthless. Also the more government interviens, the less open and accessible bitcoin will be. We all know that bitcoin is essentially the market, and other coins are just a means of mining on gpus instead of asics and other custom silicon.

Now regarding Nvidia, yes their growth has seen massive spikes due to ai deep learning, driving, and data centers, but they still invest a massive amountof money into creating consumer GPUs, which has always been a cash cow for them. They know that technology can change at the flip of a coin and losing a solid earner like the consumer gpu market would be a significant risk that could lead to long term instability. I agree with your comments about the 290x days, and was just using that as an example of how the selloffs effect the vendors.

You’re thinking bitcoin is only tied to American dollars?

You think too narrow. America owns a smaller percentage of crypto than do many nations.

You’re thinking bitcoin is only tied to American dollars?

You think too narrow. America owns a smaller percentage of crypto than do many nations.

Sorry if I mislead you, I was using the USD as an example of a commodity, as it's still sought after as legitimate currency. If you scroll up the page to my 3:28am post just above yours, you will see I go on to say exactly what you are bringing up in a little additional exposition. However, thank you for underlining how much of a global impact crypto entails, I couldn't agree more.

lol was just thinking watercooling. undervolting helps too, but there's still the heat issue.
Well, right now overclocked my two GTX 1080 Ti cards in SLI consume a little over 700 watts when mining. However if I set the power limit to 65% for both cards, that drops down to around 350 watts, with 80% coin output, or so. So that's what I'm going to do over the summer to reduce the heat output. Apparently Pascal is most efficient when it runs around 1500-1600mhz.

Well, right now overclocked my two GTX 1080 Ti cards in SLI consume a little over 700 watts when mining. However if I set the power limit to 65% for both cards, that drops down to around 350 watts, with 80% coin output, or so. So that's what I'm going to do over the summer to reduce the heat output. Apparently Pascal is most efficient when it runs around 1500-1600mhz.
True that, fair enough man.

Yep that is where its more efficient! Depending on the coin though you can push the clocks up a bit with 65% power with lower mem clocks.

Most of the popular GPU mined coins are on their way back up & getting closer to their levels from earlier in the week.
Bitcoin is the laggard in getting back up, but since you can't GPU mine it, there is not much impact on the GPU market.
The supply of new video cards is still really short, so I'd expect any cheap cards to dry up before long unless everything crashes again over the next couple days.

If the mining bursts I'm ok with it. I will still have an amazing gaming system, at a discount. I would feel a lol worse if bitcoin went bananas and I hadn't bought the hardware. Actually I know how that feels already.

Titan V is back in stock! Game devs will support tensor cores right? Just like sli right? :mad:

Nevermind, it's just to take your money then give the card to you in 2 weeks.

I'm really not sure what you find so unbelievable about that. I think it's more shocking you think this doesn't happen. You do realize manufacturers are constantly trying to predict demand to produce just the right amount of supply and not have a bunch of hardware laying around right? The closer they come to equilibrium the better it is for them, and a phenomenon like mining throws a shit load of uncertainty in those predictions.

uh hu ...

Titan V is back in stock! Game devs will support tensor cores right? Just like sli right? :mad:

Nevermind, it's just to take your money then give the card to you in 2 weeks.
It has its place. A gaming rig just isn't it. Compared to the FAR more expensive enterprise cards, it may well be a good value.

I've seen miners posting up full rigs for sale on my local Craigslist. Guess with Volta comming in March everyone selling

With Volta coming. The miners won't be able to buy many in the release. With that being said. If there hoping to get Volta's they will be waiting, have sold there rigs. They be missing out of any mining.

I've seen miners posting up full rigs for sale on my local Craigslist. Guess with Volta comming in March everyone selling

Last edited:
With Volta coming. The miners won't be able to buy many in the release. With that being said. If there hoping to get Volta's they will be waiting, have sold there rigs. They be missing out of any mining.

I hope with Volta they limit one per household (address) + one per card.

I agree with the the March estimation based on my gut and the lack of availability on the 1080TI, but is there an official source for that timeframe? Some are saying as late as June/July for Volta.

Volta will be sold out all year Nvidia needs a huge supply of chips.

I think what you are seeing now are the older chips are no longer being made so it's trickle down GPU wise.

p
A minimal improvement but at least it was slightly more intelligent than your last post.

uh hu ...

Volta will be sold out all year Nvidia needs a huge supply of chips.

I think what you are seeing now are the older chips are no longer being made so it's trickle down GPU wise.

when I pee it seems to trickle down too but unlike taking a pee (compared to GPU pricing the past year) I don't hold back to push up the prices. DDR4 starts at what, $250 for 2x8GB ? No price gouging there but if memory serves, they blame the cell phone makers LOL

Last edited:
Back