Craigslist finds

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I made a $1 offer. Seller isn't responding to it :(

The new "make offer" ebay "feature" allows the seller to set a threshold for offers to be responded to. For example, this guy might set a threshold for $1600 before he responds to offers. If it's below that threshold, the buyer doesn't even see the offer.

So I wouldn't be offended the seller isn't responding. You probably just came in below his offer threshold :p.

The new "make offer" ebay "feature" allows the seller to set a threshold for offers to be responded to. For example, this guy might set a threshold for $1600 before he responds to offers. If it's below that threshold, the buyer doesn't even see the offer.

So I wouldn't be offended the seller isn't responding. You probably just came in below his offer threshold :p.
Good to know. I've always wondered why some sellers didn't respond to a BO. (y)

Not a Craigslist find, but I did find this at a Estate sale for $10.

What do you guys think and is it worth it?

Do you think it will be better than the onboard on my MSI z87-GD65?

Definitely worth $10. THX certification isn't easy, even today.

Not Craigslist but still, I had to come to gloat. I snagged a pair of nearly mint B&W DM601 series 2 for *drumroll please* $29.99 at my local Goodwill today.

Having been to different Goodwill stores in WI I realize they're not all the same, so for reference the ones by me are basically a thrift store for donated "stuff" - and 9 times out of 10 the employees either don't know or don't care what something is worth. Over the years I've found tons of ridiculous deals - bought a Tech21 SansAmp Para Driver for $1, a Technivorm MoccaMaster for $4.99, and a Mont Blanc 149 for $74.99 (maybe not an "AMAZING" deal but still pretty damn good.)

Only been A/B testing with these speakers for half an hour or so, but it's already pretty clear these are a solid upgrade from my old Klipsch RB-5s. I'll be hitting the same store up again tomorrow to see if any other nice audio equipment got donated.

Nice! I miss my Deerfield, IL Goodwill as it was the same--lots of higher end stuff dirt cheap because they had to move it. Finding thrift stores in affluent areas definitely leads to better deals, but sometimes just overpriced stuff.

Not Craigslist but still, I had to come to gloat. I snagged a pair of nearly mint B&W DM601 series 2 for *drumroll please* $29.99 at my local Goodwill today.

Having been to different Goodwill stores in WI I realize they're not all the same, so for reference the ones by me are basically a thrift store for donated "stuff" - and 9 times out of 10 the employees either don't know or don't care what something is worth. Over the years I've found tons of ridiculous deals - bought a Tech21 SansAmp Para Driver for $1, a Technivorm MoccaMaster for $4.99, and a Mont Blanc 149 for $74.99 (maybe not an "AMAZING" deal but still pretty damn good.)

Only been A/B testing with these speakers for half an hour or so, but it's already pretty clear these are a solid upgrade from my old Klipsch RB-5s. I'll be hitting the same store up again tomorrow to see if any other nice audio equipment got donated.

NICE!
I have found some sick stuff at GW. A few great speaker sets, turntable, pc and networking stuff. Hit or miss but you go all the time and nab the good stuff. GRATS!
B&W makes some really great stuff.

There's a dude in my local facebook marketplace selling a EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra for $850. I've been so tempted to buy it just to flip it but it's too much of a financial risk on my part at the moment due to my finances. Grrrr

There's a dude in my local facebook marketplace selling a EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra for $850. I've been so tempted to buy it just to flip it but it's too much of a financial risk on my part at the moment due to my finances. Grrrr
I've been tempted to do that with deals I've seen, but from what I learned about owning an auto parts warehouse, holding costs can be significant and unless you're moving stuff regularly, tying up money in inventory can be really bad for cashflow. So think of all this when you have to pass up on a deal. :D

Reactions: Ski
like this

Sounds like an excellent way to get shot. Showing up with $850 cash to meet some dude in a parking lot somewhere. Take a friend with a shotty for company :)

Sounds like an excellent way to get shot. Showing up with $850 cash to meet some dude in a parking lot somewhere. Take a friend with a shotty for company :)

I'm pretty good at vetting individuals and in this case the guy was legit. By the way, it sold in less than 24 hours.

Good advice! Stay safe!

I'm pretty good at vetting individuals and in this case the guy was legit. By the way, it sold in less than 24 hours.
Nice!

My best deal 2020 so far! About 2 months ago I picked up a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT (in the original box) sold as is. "Does not post" $125. It has been working like a champ in my SFF, 0 issues since purchase 😁 It is currently undervolted to 1060mv runs cool and quiet.

IMG_20200227_191014.jpg

Nice! I expect a lot of deals coming up as people start having money issues. :(

a couple weeks ago I got a full desktop computer from goodwill via ebay. It didn't list any specs and was as is untested. I hit the buy it now for $20 +$20 shipping. Came with a mATX 1150 motherboard, i5 4440, 8gb ddr3, a blu ray player, thermaltake tr550 psu, and a radeon 3650.

Yeah. Probably true. And sad.
Yeah. I'm hoping it doesn't get too bad or it won't matter if stuff is cheap because no one will be able to buy it. And then we're in the Great Depression all over again thanks to the ccp.

a couple weeks ago I got a full desktop computer from goodwill via ebay. It didn't list any specs and was as is untested. I hit the buy it now for $20 +$20 shipping. Came with a mATX 1150 motherboard, i5 4440, 8gb ddr3, a blu ray player, thermaltake tr550 psu, and a radeon 3650.
Sweet deal! What you going to do with it?

Sweet deal! What you going to do with it?
right now its acting as a windows machine for me to remote into from my chromebook to give me a windows experience and run windows software when I'm not home. Also using it as a plex server. It's good enough for 1 stream with transcoding.

right now its acting as a windows machine for me to remote into from my chromebook to give me a windows experience and run windows software when I'm not home. Also using it as a plex server. It's good enough for 1 stream with transcoding.
Nice! I like having a pile of systems that I can rdp into. Then I just have a small thin client and a big monitor on my desk and everything else is somewhere else. :D

Nice! I like having a pile of systems that I can rdp into. Then I just have a small thin client and a big monitor on my desk and everything else is somewhere else. :D
I've been using Chrome Remote Desktop. It works very well. I'm in another state than the machine is, and the latency isn't bad at all.

I've been using Chrome Remote Desktop. It works very well. I'm in another state than the machine is, and the latency isn't bad at all.
rdp is pretty awesome in itself. It's definitely a game changer. The harder part is the security between the two endpoints when traversing distances like you're doing. I have to do that too and have a twin tc/monitor/keyboard/trackball setup at home on the other side of the country. Ipsec vpn tunnels became my friend really quick. It amazing how easily one can have a multi-state wan (or even international) at such a low cost and with such great performance. Setups like these just 10 years ago were prohibitally expensive.

Just bought a complete system with water cooled 1080ti, 8700k, 16gb gskill ram, 500gb sad, 1tb hd and 120mmkraken m22 for $400

Gonna keep the 8700k and ram but probably sell the rest

Last edited:
Prediction: This thread will likely become pretty active in the next couple of months.
Admission: I almost forgot about Craigslist.

Yeah, I'm seeing more homelab partouts than in the last few weeks. I bet the chicago and sfbay craigslists are full of server deals right now--and I have mixed feelings about that since I'd rather everyone just keep their stuff and we get through this. Small businesses are panicked pretty hard right now.

Just bought a complete system with water cooled 1080ti, 8700k, 16gb gskill ram, 500gb sad, 1tb hd and 120mmkraken m22 for $400

Gonna keep the 8700k and ram but probably sell the rest

Even better. It has a kraken x52 512gb 970 eve nvme, and 512gb intel ssd
The motherboard is an ASRock z370 fatality

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of the time I picked up a "broken" like new Generac 15kw portable generator for $600 (they go for $2800 new) years ago.

And all it needed was a new carb (cracked float), brushes (missing) and start relay. $150 later it ran the whole house lol (with central air!). still runs to this day.

Just had to replace the battery since I forgot to keep it changed.
20180623_154858.jpg

Last edited:
My best deal 2020 so far! About 2 months ago I picked up a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT (in the original box) sold as is. "Does not post" $125. It has been working like a champ in my SFF, 0 issues since purchase 😁 It is currently undervolted to 1060mv runs cool and quiet.

View attachment 236046
What case is that?

Back