Craigslist finds

Discussion in '[H]ot Deals Discussions' started by txsizzler, Feb 28, 2015.

1. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

I just thought I would make a thread for [H] users to post great finds that they scored on Craigslist.

Today, I had such a find. A Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series (7548). Like new, got it for a mere $300. Pics below :)

txsizzler-216496-albums-7548-pic120801-dell7548.jpg

txsizzler-216496-albums-7548-pic120800-20150228-160249.jpg

txsizzler-216496-albums-7548-pic120799-20150228-160224.jpg

txsizzler-216496-albums-7548-pic120798-20150228-160210.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Chikia12187 and Eshelmen like this.
  2. DF-1

DF-1 2[H]4U

nice find! i dont use craigslist much

3. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

pictures are a bit big but damn nice find.. haven't gotten that lucky yet but i did get a GTX 560TI for 25 bucks being sold buy some guy's soon to be ex-wife that was pissed off but didn't know anything about computer hardware and was selling all his computer stuff dirt cheap.

4. crusty_juggler

crusty_juggler [H]ard|Gawd

Wow, nice find. An I7 and an IPS touch screen? Cool.

Oh, it's fun. I've bought, sold and traded on that site a few times. Of course, common sense is needed when dealing with cash transactions between strangers on the Internets.

Once or twice I've told people to meet me in the lobby of the local PD and they never showed.

5. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I got this cubicle on craigslist for $50 a few months ago,
    cubicle-updated.jpg

there are 3 file cabinets in total, and another half partition that we didn't install due to space.

RogueTrip, Twinsen and tungt88 like this.
  6. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

Dammmmmm.... nice find! Hell, just one of those file cabinets alone would go for more than 50 bucks!

7. DarkStar02

DarkStar02 2[H]4U

I bought a brand new, maxed out MBPR w/ 3 year apple care warranty for only $2000 and as I was leaving the guy gave me a huge case of burned programs. As if that wasn't sketchy enough, he kept texting me for like 2 months asking if I wanted other various high end laptops for huge discounts. I asked one of my buddies who works at Acer about it and he said he probably RMA'ing them, filling the return packages with dry ice, and then claiming that he shipped it and it must have been stolen. That's like an $800 laptop so I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who sold it to you is doing something similar.

8. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

In certain spaces the cubicle idea is awesome, all of that for 50 bucks is fantastic. Nice one!

9. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

Thanks. I really like it. I put my snacks in the storage compartment above the monitor.

86 5.0L likes this.
  10. GeForceX

GeForceX [H]ardness Supreme

I bet that $300 laptop was stolen.

drescherjm, 86 5.0L and Nate7311 like this.
  11. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

How would you be able to tell?

12. Not_So_Hard

Not_So_Hard [H]ard|Gawd

Call Dell with the serial number and/or wait for the police to show up when you go online.

It's a $1200-$1350 laptop (felony level theft). It was just announced at CES2015 earlier this month and just released. Do you honestly believe it's not stolen? :confused:

13. Machupo

Machupo Gravity Tester

Picked up an Infinity Beta C360 center channel to round out my home theater speakers... a bit old, but in excellent condition and only $50 :)

14. KingerXI

KingerXI Gawd

A couple months ago, I got a Biostar M-Power Z77 + 2500k + 4 GB ram + R9 250 + case + mediocre HDD and PSU that I quickly resold + I was able to get the product key for the Win7 Ultimate with MagicJellyBean... all for $150. I knew the kid who sold the gear, so I know it wasn't stolen. He needed quick money for a down payment on a car. I paid it forward and built a PC for my brother-in-law who couldn't afford a nice gaming machine. Says Skyrim has never looked so good!

15. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

Actually, it's $999 at Best Buy. And, by your theory, ANY laptop that you might deem as a "good deal" could be stolen. Or anything at all on Craigslist, for that matter.

If the service tag is not put in to the Dell website, I doubt that anything would come of it.

16. BlankIt

BlankIt Limp Gawd

Sorry dude, I'm going to have to say that it's pretty fishy. I can't say that it's for sure stolen, but look at the ad. It looks like whomever put it together slapped together what they saw and a box and sold it for a FAST and easy sell (less time on HIS hands with the merchandise)

But then again, who knows.

17. Tgrove

Tgrove [H]ard|Gawd

I got 4930k for $300 on Craigslist a few months ago. It replaced my i7 3820 which I sold for $210, so basically got it for $90

I never thought I would get a good craigslist deal on pc parts.

18. Not_So_Hard

Not_So_Hard [H]ard|Gawd

I was looking on Dell's site at the prices. Yes, it's a $1000 laptop (at Best Buy) that was just released this month that you bought for $300 (cash at a McDonald's with no questions asked?) from a sketchy craigslist ad that has no personal information.

It "could" be that it's not stolen and the seller had a very critical need for quick cash. What was the story the seller told you when you met up with them to buy it?

Most likely it's "hot" property that's now in your hands.

19. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

He said that he was having to pay late bills. The laptop appears to have been ordered, as there is a opened plastic UPS invoice holder on it (the box). The laptop came from Dell directly, and it had the owners sign-in on it still. I went ahead and did a complete wipe, and reinstall of Windows 8.1.

20. Not_So_Hard

Not_So_Hard [H]ard|Gawd

21. GeForceX

I mean, I hope it wasn't stolen but it does seem fishy. You just got yourself the best deal of the year. In all of my transactions on craigslist, usually people come to my place or I come to theirs. I don't think I can get a deal like that around here!

22. Not_So_Hard

Not_So_Hard [H]ard|Gawd

Seems weird that he needed to pay late bills and just ordered a $1000 laptop from Dell this month don'cha'think?

23. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

If he had late bills why is he buying $1000 laptops, and why is he willing to take a $700 hit? $300 isn't going to pay any bill that he'd lose his car/house over. Why didn't he just return it?

Definitely sketchy. If I were playing detective I'd say it's a work laptop that fell through asset tracking and landed in his lap, and he's just trying to dump it fast.

24. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

Well, it's not the only good deal I have ever gotten of Craigslist. I have bought a Linksys dual band N router, like new (still had the plastic covering on it) for $20 two years ago, and a near new with box Roku 3 for $30 about 9 months ago.

25. GeForceX

26. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

So, both of you are saying that you would have just passed on the deal then, at the time of sale? I am skeptical, to say the least. I will just have to hope the guy is honest, and that everything is good to go.

27. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

Might be stolen. RUN FORREST, RUN!!! :p

Looks like a great deal! I would contact him and see if there are any "catches".

28. GeForceX

Did you verify who he is? Did he show you his ID? Did it conform to the signature on the box?

29. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

No name on the box. He was using a walker, just recently had back surgery. For all I know, it was a gift to him from someone else, and he didn't know the value of what he had (which is what I assumed when doing the sale), and needed the money for exactly what he said.

30. Not_So_Hard

Not_So_Hard [H]ard|Gawd

Yes, I would have passed on the deal and would have gone as far as flagging the deal as prohibited.

You could never convince me that a brand new (literally, it was just released) laptop that's $1000 in a store can be legitimately had for a mere $300. I concede that it's possible , but then again it's also possible to win the lottery. Maybe you won the lottery... but most likely you didn't.

If he really had to pay bills, he most likely could have returned the laptop to Dell with their 21 day guarantee and gotten most of his money back.

You could go to Dell's site, enter in the service tag, then check the warranty status. It will confirm the start and end date of the warranty.

(http://support.dell.com)

31. GeForceX

Smart enough to use craigslist but not smart enough to know the value of the laptop.

32. rudy

rudy [H]ardForum Junkie

TBH when a deal is that good it probably is. I surf CL a lot and the vast majority of stuff on there isn't any sort of deal at all. Slickdeals / Hot Deals can do better 9/10 times. The only exceptions typically involve large hard to move stuff I totally get why the cubicle was only $50, not a huge market for it and probably needed a truck to move it. This stuff is the kind of stuff people say I need this out of my way and shipping / moving is expensive / time consuming. A laptop that is worth around 1K doesn't fit that bill the guy could have sold in in one extra day even at $500. Someone stole it and wanted to flip some quick money, they keep the price low so it sells very fast and the police don't have time to catch up to them. If it had been even $700 I could believe it but for $300 that person probably sold it in a heart beat and you probably jumped fast to get it. Exactly what they wanted.

Most people who have stuff like this paid MSRP and they typically want close or more than what you can get it for online. Every time I have seen something for really cheap it is almost obviously a stolen item. Want to know? Ask them to meet you at the police station to make the swap, I bet you any money they say no, or don't show.

IMO a good CL find is a legitimate find, and stolen small electronics do not qualify. I have seen tons of gaming computers and everything else for sale and most of the time the person is asking way too much on CL, and trying to nail an ignorant craigslister. When ever I see cheap electronics I ask the people some questions and they typically disappear real fast when they sense I am trying to find out if its a legitimate item. Meet me at the phone store to buy the phone, oops they have all sorts of excuses why that cant happen. How about the police station, nope they aren't interested.

I once found an exo terra 24x18x36 vivarium for $50, came with some lights and other stuff I didn't care about. That was a great deal. The person was moving and wanted it gone, and the only reason I got such a good deal was because the person wasn't smart enough to write a proper description they left out the brand, and a bunch of stuff which made it hard for other CL surfers to find this item. but I could tell from the picture what it was. It is big enough it would be very difficult to steal and the story all lined up given the apartment was nearly empty when I went to pick it up and the girl knew how expensive it really was just needed to get it out of the place before she turned in the key or the complex would fine her for leaving stuff lol.

33. GeForceX

Responded to the guy. Hopefully we'll see the laptop tomorrow!

34. DarkStar02

DarkStar02 2[H]4U

Did anyone read this? It might not be stolen but it's very possible he defrauded Dell into giving him another one.

35. txsizzler

txsizzler [H]ard|Gawd

It's possible, Darkstar, but my gut feeling is more related to what I mentioned yesterday:

36. Not_So_Hard

Not_So_Hard [H]ard|Gawd

So did you check the service tag at Dell?

37. dmonkey

dmonkey [H]ard|Gawd

38. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Mah, all I see here locally on CL are overpriced years old Macs, "gaming" desktops, old ancient servers and crap like that. :(

39. GeForceX

Well, I met with the seller to see his Lenovo ThinkPad X240. What a beaut it was.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1
    Intel Core i5-4300U CPU @ 1.9 GHz
    8 GB DDR3 11-11-11-28
    1366 x 768 max res with 12.5" screen (actually quite enough for its size)
    HGST 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA

He wanted $350 but I negotiated down to $325. I think I got a very, very fair deal.

40. GeForceX

I've caught great stuff on Craigslist. For example, I got a rare 1989 Cannondale Criterium 3.0 bike in top condition for $175. These would normally go $300 or so.

And I just got a very awesome laptop as you'll see above.

You can find great stuff if you look for it.