Craigslist finds

He said that he was having to pay late bills. The laptop appears to have been ordered, as there is a opened plastic UPS invoice holder on it (the box). The laptop came from Dell directly, and it had the owners sign-in on it still. I went ahead and did a complete wipe, and reinstall of Windows 8.1.

so he probably stole it off the persons porch hahahaha

EDIT: just saw the necro date :c

Picked up an Alienware M17 with a 970m for $400 off CL. Sold it three days later for $1000.

How'd you pull that off? Was there something wrong with it when you bought it and fixed it, or did the person selling it just not know what they had?

Got this Quad Core Early 2009 Mac Pro with dual 5770 1GB cards just now for $50.
The guy said their was a problem with the hard drive and will not boot. But after I checked, it didn't have a hard drive at all.

Then I used the Metro Vacuum ED500P to clean it up and here it is.
I randomly searched my local CL after talking about this tower in an Apple thread here.

cexpNnq.jpg

I remember I actually had two of these that I got for free from a company that was getting rid of them. Seemed cool at the time because the case is amazing. My idea was to convert it into a PC case, but after I found out how much work that would take I said fuck it. Would have required a LOT of cutting and retrofitting which I was not comfortable doing at the time.

How'd you pull that off? Was there something wrong with it when you bought it and fixed it, or did the person selling it just not know what they had?

I've had finds like this. Usually, the situation is the person needs to pay bills urgently, and is selling the item at a massive loss. Case in point, I found a one year old 15" rMBP about a year back, person was selling it for $800. I ended up reselling it to a co-worker for $1900. Was still cheaper than what you could find anywhere else, and he understood that.

It was straight luck. He was asking $850 for it and I said I would pick it up for $400 cash that day if I watched it boot into Windows and verified the hardware. Not even 15 minutes after I sent him that message we met up. I checked it over and there was no damage cosmetically. His reasoning for needing to let it go so quick was that they just had a newborn and needed the money for diapers, etc. He added a third party warranty to it and he said he would send me the information to get access to it and he never did after I repeatedly asked him. Pretty sure he got a way better offer after I took it off his hands and was upset.

It was straight luck. He was asking $850 for it and I said I would pick it up for $400 cash that day if I watched it boot into Windows and verified the hardware. Not even 15 minutes after I sent him that message we met up. I checked it over and there was no damage cosmetically. His reasoning for needing to let it go so quick was that they just had a newborn and needed the money for diapers, etc. He added a third party warranty to it and he said he would send me the information to get access to it and he never did after I repeatedly asked him. Pretty sure he got a way better offer after I took it off his hands and was upset.

I have had situations like this before. I generally try to not counter if i already know ill make decent money but ocatianlly ill throw a low ball make massive money and feel bad :(

Picked up a complete system with a dead PSU today for 80 bucks. System was dusty but otherwise in excellent condition. I threw a spare PSU I had in there and now I'm typing from it. :) Thinking about throwing a xeon hex in there just for the hell of it but it's for my brother and he doesn't really need it.

Specs...

i7 960
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Fractal Define R4
9500gt
Wireless N pcie

Look at me...2 in a row. :)

Picked up a Qnix 27inch IPS monitor for 100 today (2560x1440). I am shocked at how nice this monitor actually is. It's not a crazy deal, but it was 10 minutes away and the previous owner took great care of it. No dead pixels. It's actually paired with the system from the above post now.

Yesterday I bought 5 brand new sets of Crucial (2x4GB) laptop SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (40GB total) + 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill DDR3 1866 CAS 8 1.5v desktop ram for $130 total. Everything works perfectly. $2.32/GB

Not really computer related, but I had seen a 300 gallon acrylic aquarium with a really nice stand/canopy that was used for 1 month for sale for $500. The aquarium itself is generally around $2000 new, and the stand/canopy I would imagine another $2-3k. The sellers location was in one of the more expensive areas in the bay area and he said he started the aquarium, and part way through setup, decided he wanted to go with a full custom aquarium. Came with all the filtration and equipment as well, which was another $1k.

Biggest problem was it is not one of the easiest things to transport and store til you can sell.. and it's not exactly something folks look to buy often.

I scored 2 deals recently. One seems great. I THINK I got a deal on the other one. I can thank [H], indirectly, for both.

Got a barely used Ducky Shine 5 for $80. Saw the deal re: Corsair refurbs on the deals section here. Whenever I see a deal for anything, I usually check eBay and CL to see if I can get it for cheaper. Couldn't find anything. Instead, I found the listing for the Ducky, posted only a couple of hours before my search.

The other one was an Acer Predator 17, with the GTX 1070. User is (still, I think) selling one of these on the FS/T section. Price was $1150 shipped. I pm'ed him, but he's currently on vacation. I decided to check eBay and CL again. Found one for $1200 on CL. Offered $1100, and the guy accepted. It was brand new, still in the cardboard shipping box.

Now relatively speaking, this is still a decent deal for a laptop with a 1070. I'm wondering, however, why these Acers seem more expensive, relative to other 1070 laptops. I couldn't find one for the same specs I got for less than 1600-1700 online. When I compare the specs to other laptops, nothing really seems to stand out, and I've seen 1070 laptops from Dell, ASUS, MSI, etc that also have a 120hz screen going for around as much. Perhaps its the build quality, but I'm not sure.

I just got a decent score today. I picked up an Alienware x51 r2 with an i7-4770, 1tb drive, slot load dvdrw, Gtx 760, and 8gb ram for $200. Restore discs included.

Great score. I woulda bought that too if I saw it.

Power Spec PC (Microcenter Brand)

i7 6700k
ASRock fatality gaming k6 z170
Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo
16GB G skill ripjaw 4 3K
SanDisk 256gb 400s SSD
Toshiba 2tb HDD
EVGA 500w PSU
MSI GTX 970 gaming X
Authentic OEM Windows 10 Pro
WiFi Bluetooth card
Asus optical drive
Powerspec mid-tower case

Generic keyboard mouse
Dell 22in 1680 x 1050 LCD monitor

Everything $350

Power Spec PC (Microcenter Brand)

i7 6700k
ASRock fatality gaming k6 z170
Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo
16GB G skill ripjaw 4 3K
SanDisk 256gb 400s SSD
Toshiba 2tb HDD
EVGA 500w PSU
MSI GTX 970 gaming X
Authentic OEM Windows 10 Pro
WiFi Bluetooth card
Asus optical drive
Powerspec mid-tower case

Generic keyboard mouse
Dell 22in 1680 x 1050 LCD monitor

Everything $350

where? :eek:

Not from CL but had a guy bring me in his computer today they had a tree limb come through his ceiling at home and had about 3inches of water in his back room just enough to put the bottom 1-2inches of his pc under water. Guy says all i need is a notice from you saying the machines doesnt work because of the water damage and you can have it and i wanna build a new one when the insurance reimburses me. I dont think nothing of it nice looking tower take it to my bench pop the side of it single gpu z270 mobo 4 sticks of ram and a corsair aio cooler. guy says its been in the car for a few days should be dry. so i plug it in and as soon as i do a get a lil magic smoke from the psu unplug it and write him up a receipt saying machine no power started smoking from psu when plugged in customer asked to recycle. Gave the guy his receipt and away he goes.

So long story short get it all apart i got a 7700k corsair h100i 512gb wd black m.2 ssd gtx 1060 6gb 4x8gb stocks of corsair vengence ddr4 for about 15 minutes of my time. time to get a new case and psu lol

Damn that's a nice freebie Jbort1984. Though your post kinda needs some proofreading. It took me a while to read it.

Not from CL but had a guy bring me in his computer today they had a tree limb come through his ceiling at home and had about 3inches of water in his back room just enough to put the bottom 1-2inches of his pc under water. Guy says all i need is a notice from you saying the machines doesnt work because of the water damage and you can have it and i wanna build a new one when the insurance reimburses me. I dont think nothing of it nice looking tower take it to my bench pop the side of it single gpu z270 mobo 4 sticks of ram and a corsair aio cooler. guy says its been in the car for a few days should be dry. so i plug it in and as soon as i do a get a lil magic smoke from the psu unplug it and write him up a receipt saying machine no power started smoking from psu when plugged in customer asked to recycle. Gave the guy his receipt and away he goes.

So long story short get it all apart i got a 7700k corsair h100i 512gb wd black m.2 ssd gtx 1060 6gb 4x8gb stocks of corsair vengence ddr4 for about 15 minutes of my time. time to get a new case and psu lol
Took me a second to habla your ingles, but nice score! :)

Picked up a Dell Optiplex 3020 midtower for $80. It looked like brand new condition too (barely a hint of dust anywhere).

i5-4670
2x4GB Patriot DDR3-1333
3TB Western Digital hdd *New* (Guy thought it was 500GB but didn't care).

Made out like a bandit this weekend :cool:

Picked up :
- RX470 4GB for $75
- GSkill 32GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM for $90
- OptiPlex 7020 SFF w/i7 4790 (but otherwise barebones) for $90

Bonus pickup (for a single mom's son's new Ryzen build) :
- Fractal Tesla R2 1000W PSU for $25

Last edited:
I'm not being judgemental, nor does it reflect anything on you as a legitimate buyer, but do you ever consider that this stuff is stolen and people are just playing dumb? $50 for that Mac Pro? I find it easier to believe that people are thieves and just not that big of an idiot (gives me more faith in people).

Got another treasure today.

Picked up a Dell Latitude E7470 for $250.

i7-6600U
1x8GB DDR4 (with another slot available)
256GB Intel M.2 SDD
14" LCD 1920x1080 IPS matte
Backlit keyboard, smartcard reader, etc etc
2 years left on the warranty.

The lady I bought it from might have been the same lady from last year when I bought an identical Dell E7470.

Snagged an Alienware System circa 2003 for $10. Uses the Alienware Predator 1.0 case (Chieftech Build). The case alone goes for $200 + on eBay.

Intel Penitum 4 Northwood 3GHz
Asus P4C800E
1GB Corsair XMS
3x Random SATA SSD's
Radeon XT 9600
SB Audigy
16X DVD
Plextor DVD Burner.

I will post some pics up after cleaning it up.

Picked up 3x Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" SSD (new) for $80/each.

Not an extremely hot deal but pretty good compare to SSD prices this past year.

Just picked up a new oem GTX 1070 from an HP for $400. Feels like a win for me

Just got a really nice z-680 for $30 a few days ago. It sounds amazing.

Very awesome.

I loved the Z-680 for what they were, I don't think anyone could call them audiophile level gear but for a PC speaker system they were freaking amazing. I don't believe Logitech has made an equal since those were discontinued many years ago - not even close.

Very awesome.

I loved the Z-680 for what they were, I don't think anyone could call them audiophile level gear but for a PC speaker system they were freaking amazing. I don't believe Logitech has made an equal since those were discontinued many years ago - not even close.

I had the Z560s and they were fantastic. Pretty sure the Z680s and Z560 were based off of Klipsch Promedia.

I didn't even know this section existed, lol. Here's what I got about a week ago after not having a new build since 2012.

Case - $150 - https://www.nzxt.com/products/h440-designed-by-razer
CPU - $350 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._Skylake_Quad-Core_3.4-_-19-117-560-_-Product
Mobo - $350 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...si_gaming_krait_3x-_-9SIA85V4TD3212-_-Product
RAM - $ - 180 - https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...UTF8&qid=1519099513&sr=1-4&keywords=16gb+ddr4

Total if bought new, $1,030.

Found it all pieced together for $300. Has anyone gotten this lucky before? :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I didn't even know this section existed, lol. Here's what I got about a week ago after not having a new build since 2012.

Case - $150 - https://www.nzxt.com/products/h440-designed-by-razer
CPU - $350 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._Skylake_Quad-Core_3.4-_-19-117-560-_-Product
Mobo - $350 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...si_gaming_krait_3x-_-9SIA85V4TD3212-_-Product
RAM - $ - 180 - https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...UTF8&qid=1519099513&sr=1-4&keywords=16gb+ddr4

Total if bought new, $1,030.

Found it all pieced together for $300. Has anyone gotten this lucky before? :)

Its a great price but your cpu and mobo prices are way higher than what the used market would typically bring. I'd say those two together are probably worth the $300 you paid though so its still a great deal.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not being judgemental, nor does it reflect anything on you as a legitimate buyer, but do you ever consider that this stuff is stolen and people are just playing dumb? $50 for that Mac Pro? I find it easier to believe that people are thieves and just not that big of an idiot (gives me more faith in people).
Stop ruining everyone's fun. You're being a negative Nancy. Sometimes people are just in a very bad place and need money too. Sometimes old women that barely drive their 5 year old car will sell it for $8,000 under market value just because they don't need the money. Are you going to ask them if it's stolen too?

Back