CPU stolen

ochadd

[H]ard|Gawd
10850k ordered from Newegg came in three days ago and looked ok. I opened the shipping box and saw the 10850k box and it looked good at first glance. Today I go to open the CPU and the back had been ripped open and the CPU is gone. Been trying to connect to Newegg chat for 30 minutes. What are my chances of them replacing it?

Edit: Newegg made it right and sent me a new CPU. Took 10 business days from me reporting the problem to having a replacement in hand.

Last edited:
I opened the box and saw the CPU box inside when it arrived and it looked fine until I pulled it out. Someone ripped the back our and wrapped it back up.

maybe your credit card might have some remedies

if you're a long time customer, they usually give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, that is a stumper...heard it happens. Contact them and hope for the best.

Chances are 0.00000000001% that they will honor it. However, if it was insured then should be fine. Still will need lots of convincing and proof etc. Hopefully you had pictures. I have gotten so paranoid that I make a video every time I unbox crap. Also I immediately open the box at receipt.

Op- are you saying it was opened and re packaged during transit (evidence would be on the shipping box) or that it was shipped from Newegg to you this way with no evidence of external shipping box tampering?

Still will need lots of convincing and proof etc. Hopefully you had pictures. I have gotten so paranoid that I make a video every time I unbox crap.

Not a bad idea. I've sold a few things on Ebay and record the packaging process. I will have backup if anyone tries to scam me. Even then it still may not be enough, but you have to take steps to protect yourself.

Newegg CS support is ruthless they will not help you. You would have had to call them immediately upon opening the package and take photo's of it for them to believe you. On the other hand they may be able to file a claim with UPS/Fedex and maybe they will help you?

My friend had a kinda similar situation last month but he didn't wait 3 days after getting it to contact Newegg. He purchased a motherboard and CPU combo on one of Newegg's weekly deals for a 10700K and a ASUS board only to find out that in the box the CPU was nowhere to be found despite it being on the package slip. They didn't really make a big fuss about it and sent him a replacement CPU via 2 day shipping to remedy it. I'm not 100% certain the details but I would think they would try to help you out.

My friend had a kinda similar situation last month but he didn't wait 3 days after getting it to contact Newegg. He purchased a motherboard and CPU combo on one of Newegg's weekly deals for a 10700K and a ASUS board only to find out that in the box the CPU was nowhere to be found despite it being on the package slip. They didn't really make a big fuss about it and sent him a replacement CPU via 2 day shipping to remedy it. I'm not 100% certain the details but I would think they would try to help you out.
Well that is a glimmer of hope. My recent experiences with the egg have been No, No, No, Sorry we can’t do that or Tough luck. Granted most of my requests could be deemed outside policy.

Well that is a glimmer of hope. My recent experiences with the egg have been No, No, No, Sorry we can’t do that or Tough luck. Granted most of my requests could be deemed outside policy.

You can file a paypal dispue or cc charge back but that is the nucear option and may result in them closing your Newegg acoount.

Nah my cases were not as grave as missing parts. It was more about asking them to change shipping speed and switch out a game code. In the past they gave me game codes even when promotion was not active but this time they flat out refused to swap a code of WDL for COD because I was a few hours early from the switch over. Similarly, they didn’t want to take more money for rush processing because my card was already in processing which was bullshit as it had been 5 mins since the frantic order input.

Nah my cases were not as grave as missing parts. It was more about asking them to change shipping speed and switch out a game code. In the past they gave me game codes even when promotion was not active but this time they flat out refused to swap a code of WDL for COD because I was a few hours early from the switch over. Similarly, they didn’t want to take more money for rush processing because my card was already in processing which was bullshit as it had been 5 mins since the frantic order input.
I've asked them to change shipping speed as well and met with the same "no, we can't do that" but that's a different matter entirely than what is being discussed here. In your example you are asking them to do more than what was originally ordered, in my friends example and the OP it's a matter of missing parts and technically incomplete orders. Though I will say in the OPs situation I'm not sure how much of a factor the 3 days is going to affect his chances of them helping since missing a expensive item like that is typically reported or discovered very quickly.

I doubt there's someone paying attention to each order in such a way.
Three days shouldn't make a difference, if reported. I do hope OP is being honest, of course.
If OP is a legitimate person, then I hope it goes well. OP should try to get a replacement or the money back.

I doubt there's someone paying attention to each order in such a way.
Three days shouldn't make a difference, if reported. I do hope OP is being honest, of course.
If OP is a legitimate person, then I hope it goes well. OP should try to get a replacement or the money back.

So Newegg opened a claim. They say it can take up to two weeks. I've been a Newegg customer since 2001-2002 and I have no reason to post something on [H] if I were trying to defraud Newegg or UPS. The "proof" I have is thin and the delay in noticing it is why I'm nervous. I don't think the box is obvious proof at all. Thought I'd ask if anyone else had a similar situation. I know I didn't get a CPU and the box was taped up when I got it.

I opened the shipping box when I got it but didn't take the CPU out until I was putting together the system yesterday. The front of the box w/ the 10850 label was fine and that's the end of the box I opened. If I have to eat $400... man. I only do $3-4k per year with them so it's not like they'll bend over backwards.

1610312390195.png

1610312421642.png

1610312466437.png

1610312689519.png

1610313136922.png

If the tape on the box hasn't been tampered with (e.g. new tape put over top of it), then the packer at NE stole it. Is NE going to fess up to that? Probably not.

They might give you a new one since you've been a good customer, but I'm sure your account would be flagged after that. Wouldn't count on it twice.

Not really comparable but a few weeks ago I had a Newegg delivery where I had ordered (along with some other items) 2 items each package with a pair of fan splitters inside (four splitters total). They sent me a single package with one pair of wires (two total).
Now this is not something that can really be proven on my end but we are talking like a 2$ item. I immediately contacted them. They opened a case to investigate and ended up sending me the pair of splitters but it took over 2 weeks.
I see this as a real flaw in the system. Someone misreads, forgets to put an item in a package etc. there is no real way to verify. It hadn't occurred to me prior to this incident how much trust is built into this delivery system.

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out whether you are me ... Exactly same happened. Same processor, same issue. Also, even the same damage to the package.

Attachments

• WP_20210115_16_50_10_Rich.jpg
    WP_20210115_16_50_10_Rich.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20210115_16_50_02_Rich.jpg
    WP_20210115_16_50_02_Rich.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20210115_16_49_47_Rich.jpg
    WP_20210115_16_49_47_Rich.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20210115_16_49_42_Rich.jpg
    WP_20210115_16_49_42_Rich.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 0
jeez, thats crazy. i wonder how many were stolen in total. surely yalls two werent the only ones. loss prevention needs to do some employee investigating me thinks

jeez, thats crazy. i wonder how many were stolen in total. surely yalls two werent the only ones. loss prevention needs to do some employee investigating me thinks
This is likely what will get the CPUs replaced without many or any questions. For two people to post here with the exact same issue means it's likely there were a lot more CPUs stolen and it won't be difficult to track down the problem. Since it will obviously be an issue on Newegg's side since the packer is the one doing it they probably won't fight it just to minimize the coverage that one of the employees is stealing items which were purchased by customers. That's a massive trust issue and can severely harm a business if it's found out and especially if they don't care of the problem and fix the issue with customers quickly.

I had the same with my phone. After a repair from Samsung, it was stolen. Inside is nothing. File claim, got my $ from the shipper.

I am trying to figure out whether you are me ... Exactly same happened. Same processor, same issue. Also, even the same damage to the package.
So no update, update today. Today marks 7 days since I filed the claim and no word from Newegg yet. I talked with customer service via chat at day 4 and was told to wait. The gal only confirmed the day I filed the claim.

There's no way this happened twice unless it was an employee at the warehouse stealing items. It's not rocket science.

That being said, the fact that there are two identical issues should help Newegg see that the problem is on their end.

Where are you both of you guys located I am curious if you're neighbors.

Where are you both of you guys located I am curious if you're neighbors.
I don't think so. I live in up-state NY. But, another friend bought the same processor and it was shipped from newegg's NJ warehouse just fine. Mine was shipped from CA warehouse. I believe it has to do with warehouses.

So no update, update today. Today marks 7 days since I filed the claim and no word from Newegg yet. I talked with customer service via chat at day 4 and was told to wait. The gal only confirmed the day I filed the claim.
I had a claim filed over a lost in transit motherboard. It took about a month.

It took 10 days to get my refund for my overnight shipping they sat on for 2 days, apparently they claim with UPS/Fedex and then refund it from there. My RMA also sat for about a week after it was received before I got my refund as well and that was august last year and the same item for both cases. I imagine now it is worse as they are probaly slammed still from holiday returns and issues.

Somehow, I don't have much faith in Newegg. I have been a customer with them for 10 years; never had trouble. But, I witnessed the declining quality of their service and inventory. Let's hope for the best, though.

It took 10 days to get my refund for my overnight shipping they sat on for 2 days, apparently they claim with UPS/Fedex and then refund it from there. My RMA also sat for about a week after it was received before I got my refund as well and that was august last year and the same item for both cases. I imagine now it is worse as they are probaly slammed still from holiday returns and issues.
I am relocating due to work in two weeks and I need to assemble this stuff before I leave. Argh, Newegg!

not sure how quickly they settle claims. I sent an RMA to newegg that they received on dec 29th and still no word about it other than it hasn't been processed yet.

I'm glad Newegg came through for you. Stuff like this makes me only want to buy used from the forums.

I had an odd issue once a few years ago where I ordered 4 kits of DDR4 ram. I only received 2 of them and immediately followed up with Newegg. They sent out the other two ram kits without any hassle. I think must've only shipped 2 of them on accident instead of two of them getting stolen though.

Back