Counter Strike: Global Offensive

Been taking this CSGO for a spin lately. It's smoother, more refined, more balanced, and this is just personal preference: better looking than BF4. It's like a work of art.

Oh and I played beta 1, day 1 by this guy named gooseman, and I'm still terrible at CS almost 15 years later ;)

Looks dated to me, but it's not really designed for high-end machines.

I got this game recently. My dislikes? The menu. Terrible.

First, match making. Terrible. I hardly get into a server which is filled, and tend to play with bots for 3 or so matches. Which is boring and annoying. Second, you can not choose specific maps. So you have no idea what map you are about to join, or how many people are in the server. Really? I played Source a lot, and the server browser worked just fine in that.

I realize there is a server browser in GO, but it does not seem to show game type. In addition, it loads the list painfully slow and there just are not many good/filled servers. I guess this was to be expected, as Valve has really "consolized" their recent PC game releases (starting with L4D), but I would have thought GO would be better in this regard.

Aside from that, the game feels rather familiar to Source (I have not played it in years). Some of the weapons seem a bit different, and I don't like how the "M4" only gets 20 rounds. And the MP5 is no longer present. DE_Inferno seems a bit different as well, but I am going off of memory. It is decent for what it is, and if you are a fan of CS, aside from the crappy match making system, it is a solid game. For the price I paid I assumed I would only get a few hours out of it, which turned out to be true. I just can't stand the overall gameplay, the low quality sound, ect.

Between BF3/4 and RO2/RS, I doubt I will play it much more. But it was nice to revisit the game.

I was so into CS 1.6 and also into CS:Source, but stopped playing except in spurts a few years ago. Overall I liked CS 1.6 gameplay, but CS:Source graphics. Played about an hr of CS:GO and hated it for some reason. Looked the same as Source to me, but I didn't like the way it played. Can't pin-point it, but probly just going to uninstall it all together which is a damn shame considering how much I've played the previous installments. I think the most fun I had playing CS was custom WoW mod servers where you gained special abilities or no gravity scouts/knives

Last edited:
I was so into CS 1.6 and also into CS:Source, but stopped playing except in spurts a few years ago. Overall I liked CS 1.6 gameplay, but CS:Source graphics. Played about an hr of CS:GO and hated it for some reason. Looked the same as Source to me, but I didn't like the way it played. Can't pin-point it, but probly just going to uninstall it all together which is a damn shame considering how much I've played the previous installments. I think the most fun I had playing CS was custom WoW mod servers where you gained special abilities or no gravity scouts/knives

I have to agree with you. I don't know why, but I cannot play CSGO like I could with CSS and CS1.6

I think the above reason are purely from the movement which is still off in the game. I have a feeling its because the game was subcontracted.

I got this game recently. My dislikes? The menu. Terrible.

First, match making. Terrible. I hardly get into a server which is filled, and tend to play with bots for 3 or so matches. Which is boring and annoying. Second, you can not choose specific maps. So you have no idea what map you are about to join, or how many people are in the server. Really? I played Source a lot, and the server browser worked just fine in that.

I realize there is a server browser in GO, but it does not seem to show game type. In addition, it loads the list painfully slow and there just are not many good/filled servers. I guess this was to be expected, as Valve has really "consolized" their recent PC game releases (starting with L4D), but I would have thought GO would be better in this regard.

Aside from that, the game feels rather familiar to Source (I have not played it in years). Some of the weapons seem a bit different, and I don't like how the "M4" only gets 20 rounds. And the MP5 is no longer present. DE_Inferno seems a bit different as well, but I am going off of memory. It is decent for what it is, and if you are a fan of CS, aside from the crappy match making system, it is a solid game. For the price I paid I assumed I would only get a few hours out of it, which turned out to be true. I just can't stand the overall gameplay, the low quality sound, ect.

Between BF3/4 and RO2/RS, I doubt I will play it much more. But it was nice to revisit the game.

If you're matching into a casual or DM, there's no guarantee you're getting a full game starting fresh. If you actually want to play a full game of CS, queue for competitive. Competitive matchmaking is THE meat of the game (unless you use ESEA or something). The server browser is the same as all Source games, and the gametype is implied from the map name as it's always been.

They split the M4 into 2 versions. The silenced one is cheaper, has less recoil, and has less ammo. The other one is the unsilenced, more expensive, and has more ammo. It's one of the good things GO has done for the metagame to mix it up a bit. Many more guns are viable, sane choices now.

The sound is fucking BROKEN though in GO, and I'm amazed that it's still not fixed. Sound doesn't seem to give even the slightest fuck about being above or below you. I've been on the bottom floor of Nuke hearing someone in Heaven. There's like 30 feet of height and 5 feet of concrete between us but it's still playing the footsteps at 95% volume.

I think the above reason are purely from the movement which is still off in the game. I have a feeling its because the game was subcontracted.

Movement is still not right, and neither is the competitive times.

Nobody knows why Valve uses different times than literally every other competitive tournament / event / league / everything in existence. There's no reason why competitive matchmaking should be different than the gold standard competitive format.

If you're matching into a casual or DM, there's no guarantee you're getting a full game starting fresh. If you actually want to play a full game of CS, queue for competitive. Competitive matchmaking is THE meat of the game (unless you use ESEA or something). The server browser is the same as all Source games, and the gametype is implied from the map name as it's always been.

They split the M4 into 2 versions. The silenced one is cheaper, has less recoil, and has less ammo. The other one is the unsilenced, more expensive, and has more ammo. It's one of the good things GO has done for the metagame to mix it up a bit. Many more guns are viable, sane choices now.

The sound is fucking BROKEN though in GO, and I'm amazed that it's still not fixed. Sound doesn't seem to give even the slightest fuck about being above or below you. I've been on the bottom floor of Nuke hearing someone in Heaven. There's like 30 feet of height and 5 feet of concrete between us but it's still playing the footsteps at 95% volume.

Movement is still not right, and neither is the competitive times.

Nobody knows why Valve uses different times than literally every other competitive tournament / event / league / everything in existence. There's no reason why competitive matchmaking should be different than the gold standard competitive format.

If it makes you feel better they also send out server updates during peak times on peak days. They at least give us a 5 mins - 3 hr heads up though.

Ive been messing with this game since it was announced. I was in the private beta on day one. I saw this game grow tremendously. I saw alot of flaws though. Many of these flaws were reported but they were never addressed. Many of them to this day are still unaddressed bugs. This is pretty much the reason for all of it. I dont know it they picked certain bugs to fix only or if they only listened to what the pros said instead of the community. I personally think it was both. What i do know is Valve did NOT develop this game. It was a subcontract job and Hidden Path Entertainment did all of it. In the beginning a few key valve employees were involved in a public relations matter then it seemed once the game got halfway through the beta those valve employees werent seen any longer and it was just Hidden Path people. For those of you who dont know Hidden Path was the one who converted Counter Strike Source to Orange Box engine and it was the biggest shit storm ever. It was severly broken in so many ways and it put a huge dent in the community. Its the same people who did this game and you can tell because the game just doesnt have the attn to detail level that Valve games have. The game Valve was working on while CSGO was being developed by HPE is Dota2. Go look at that game. Its likely near perfect at this point.

The thing to do now is for valve to get the hint that they need to make a new counter strike game and they need to do it themselves and take it seriously. Unfortunatly it seems that would be hard for them to get that message and take it seriously without other implications.

So I've been playing this the last 2 weeks and one thing that pisses me off is getting disconnected from a competitive match and not being able to reconnect and getting a cooldown from the matches. I understand the reason for the cooldown/bans but it's ridiculous when you have no control over it. It's happened 3 times now, the first was 30 minutes, then 2 hours, and just got one for 24 hours. Supposedly steam can't rescind the cooldowns. Someone on the steam forums told me the next ban is a week...seriously??? That's even harsh for the people rage quitting/abandoning games, but twice as bad when its not even your fault. :mad:

So I've been playing this the last 2 weeks and one thing that pisses me off is getting disconnected from a competitive match and not being able to reconnect and getting a cooldown from the matches. I understand the reason for the cooldown/bans but it's ridiculous when you have no control over it. It's happened 3 times now, the first was 30 minutes, then 2 hours, and just got one for 24 hours. Supposedly steam can't rescind the cooldowns. Someone on the steam forums told me the next ban is a week...seriously??? That's even harsh for the people rage quitting/abandoning games, but twice as bad when its not even your fault. :mad:

you need a better internet connection. ive yet to been disconnected from a match.

you need a better internet connection. ive yet to been disconnected from a match.

this, mostly. I had to restart CS once due to my UI getting bugged out (gone completely), I was back in the match with having missed only one round.

Errer, whats your internet situation? College? Crap DSL?

Do you work for steam? Your advice is just as useless as their customer supports. My internet is fine, I never lose my internet connection I lose connection to the game server and I'm not allowed to reconnect. I can instantly join another server but not the one I was originally dc'd from. I'm also not the only one that has this problem.

this, mostly. I had to restart CS once due to my UI getting bugged out (gone completely), I was back in the match with having missed only one round.

Errer, whats your internet situation? College? Crap DSL?

30Mbps down / 5Mbps up, my connection is fine. This is the only game it happens to and it doesn't happen on casual games just competitive.

I can instantly join another server but not the one I was originally dc'd from. I'm also not the only one that has this problem.

If you're disconnected from a comp server and reconnect within 3 minutes you will be given an option to rejoin the existing match; unless you were kicked or chose to quit yourself.

So if what you're saying is true, then it is an extremely rare occurrence that no one here will likely be able to help you with....or there is something else going on you're not telling us about. /shrug

If you're disconnected from a comp server and reconnect within 3 minutes you will be given an option to rejoin the existing match; unless you were kicked or chose to quit yourself.

So if what you're saying is true, then it is an extremely rare occurrence that no one here will likely be able to help you with....or there is something else going on you're not telling us about. /shrug

I get the option to rejoin or abandon but when it tries to reconnect it times out and brings up the rejoin/abandon option again and I end up having to abandon. As far as something else going on that's definitely not the case especially if you are referring to hacks. I just started playing and can barely hold a 1:1 kd ratio. So after google searching it seems to be a fairly common problem so I'm not the only one it is happening to :(

https://www.google.com/search?q=una...+reconnect+to+cs+go+competitive+match&spell=1

this is actually common.

I'm really starting to come around on this game. I don't know if my mind is opening up to it or it's just better than it was in beta or at first release. Maybe the unrealistic expectations have gone away.

If anyone wants to play add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/Morder

I'm really starting to come around on this game. I don't know if my mind is opening up to it or it's just better than it was in beta or at first release. Maybe the unrealistic expectations have gone away.

If anyone wants to play add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/Morder

Just sent you an invite. Madic is my name.

Edit - Anyone want to add me as well, [email protected]. Don't judge, I made that email over 10 years ago, lol.

Last edited:
Turn vsync off but limit fps to 100ish, I also had to drop my sensitivity way lower than what i'm used to.

Anyone else have a crappy server browser running at 1080, seems the fonts are off and not clear and even if i go down to 1680 x 1050 it looks aweful.

I still have the fact grenades are crap,. been playing gungame death match and when you toss a nade at someone's feet and they dont even get phased.....annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else have a crappy server browser running at 1080, seems the fonts are off and not clear and even if i go down to 1680 x 1050 it looks aweful.

I still have the fact grenades are crap,. been playing gungame death match and when you toss a nade at someone's feet and they dont even get phased.....annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont have this issue with 1920x1200.

The nades are nerfed. When i had a server i turned them back up to about the same as what counter strike source was.

Yup, the AUG and SSG03 now have ADS, what a joke. On the other hand, the CZ is so beast.

Well I guess making the scope shittier is one way to rebalance. The dot is fucking impossible to see in a lot of places.

More annoying is that the sensitivity doesn't change properly when it zooms in. It should scale but it stays the same. The CZ is kind of neat, but I don't know how useful it will be.

how do people feel about the ranking system?
As far as I can tell, the ranking system is simply used for matchmaking and possibly bragging rights. I've yet to see any instances where you had to be a certain level to unlock or use a weapon.

That's the way it should be, IMO.

More annoying is that the sensitivity doesn't change properly when it zooms in. It should scale but it stays the same.

If you want to get creative I'm pretty sure you could bind a button to scale the sensitivity when you zoom/unzoom, either by modifying the in-game sensitivity or my mapping to buttons on your mouse that may already perform that function (IE the Logitech G5).

As far as I can tell, the ranking system is simply used for matchmaking and possibly bragging rights. I've yet to see any instances where you had to be a certain level to unlock or use a weapon.

That's the way it should be, IMO.

If you want to get creative I'm pretty sure you could bind a button to scale the sensitivity when you zoom/unzoom, either by modifying the in-game sensitivity or my mapping to buttons on your mouse that may already perform that function (IE the Logitech G5).

Most gaming mouses have a DPI button on them to switch between two preset DPI settings.

Back