Counter Strike: Global Offensive

I just read the Hands on ESEA article. Its a totally new game engine and they are saying the graphics are far superior in Pre-Beta than CSS.

Crap, read this after I posted my initial reply to this thread. That's good news, my main concern was that they were just gonna have some extra bullshit stuff to add to CS. But better graphics/etc, count me interested.

I haven't played CS for quite some time. I loved CS, but after playing BC2 and other modern FPS's, I just can't get into CS anymore. If they could go with better graphics (dx11 path would be really nice) and have way better character animations and movements, I would probably get into CS again. But as it stands I just don't care for CS like I did 5 years ago.

ps, I miss Oilrig back in the beta days :(

Oilrig was awesome for trying to be a ninja VIP. as_ and es_ were pretty lame overall, but were fun to be able to jump into every now and then for a change of pace.

Too bad BC2 and others are so resistant to modding...I could see assassination be a decent game mode, played with a somewhat similar structure to rush.

I wonder if there will be map backwards compatibility.

That would be great.

It's ironic to me that finally by the time someone has done a good CS:S port of my favorite 1.x map (de_survivor) they announce the next CS :p

cs_mansion was always one of my favorite CS maps. Something about the layout just did it for me even though you could get bogged down in the front lawn oftentimes.

Zarathustra[H];1037623565 said:
I wonder if there will be map backwards compatibility.

That would be great.

It's ironic to me that finally by the time someone has done a good CS:S port of my favorite 1.x map (de_survivor) they announce the next CS :p

They will not. Maps have never been interchangable. Use the SDK and remake the map on the new game. ;)

Ohh God, not another Counter Strike. December 21st, 2012 can't get here fast enough.

They will not. Maps have never been interchangable.

Just because they haven't been in the past, doesn't mean they won't be now.

After all, the GO seems to be based on an updated source engine. The jump from gldsrc to source likely broke a lot more stuff.

At the very least I have high hopes that they will be similar enough that porting them won't take as much work.

Use the SDK and remake the map on the new game. ;)

I would, but outside of Basic I have zero coding experience. i have never used an SDK in my life (other than as a build time dependency for linux compiles) and I haven't worked with 3D models since played with 3D Studio Max 4 and Lightwave back in the DOS days when I was 13!

Hmmm... I kind of figured i would be more exited about the announcement of a new Counter Strike...

I'm not sure what it is, Maybe the not so official official announcement or the lack of Screens, Videos, ect... In not sure or maybe its the "Multi-Platform" branding that has been the source of disappointment for dozens of titles previously.

Either way i have full faith in Valve, i have never purchased one of their tiles that i was disappointed in, Its just the "Valve was quick to make clear that this wasn't "CS2"" Really makes me wonder, if its not "CS2" Then...... wtf is it?

Either way i have full faith in Valve, i have never purchased one of their tiles that i was disappointed in, Its just the "Valve was quick to make clear that this wasn't "CS2"" Really makes me wonder, if its not "CS2" Then...... wtf is it?
Counter-Strike: Source 1.6? ;)

oh wow, i'm actually very intrigued to see what info they will be announcing publicly tomorrow. i did not even know they were developing a new CS at the moment, but being the game that i was FRIGHTENINGLY addicted to during my college days, i am a little happy in the pants.

Me to!

Outfits for sure. Likely in the same way BC2 does it now.

The breaker here is if valve will release free content/map packs like they do with the L4D series.

Bitch please. What with the way TF2's turned out and their episodic content delivery system, I will not be surprised to see if this new CS uses the same micro-transaction system you get in that other F2P CS-style game, Alliance of Valiant Arms or whatever, where you buy/earn in-game coins to rent in-game equipment.

Fingers crossed they won't, but after the runaway success of their last couple of micro-transaction ventures their accounting department is going to be forcing their dicks all the way down their throats. Let's hope they're not going that route.

oh wow, i'm actually very intrigued to see what info they will be announcing publicly tomorrow. i did not even know they were developing a new CS at the moment, but being the game that i was FRIGHTENINGLY addicted to during my college days, i am a little happy in the pants.

Tell me about it.

I ran a couple of servers (Yoda's Barn) at Umass from the ~1.1 days to the early source days. (the servers had been up before I started running them, that's just when I got involved.

I was completely and totally addicted to that game from 1999 and on.

at one point when I was running the servers, our stats told me that for that given month, I had been online on the main server for ~370 hours, or in other words about half the month.

Some of the best times I've ever had gaming were on that server playing counter-strike.

I still play occasionally, but nothing like back then.

de_railroad! Somehow someone in my clan got an early leaked version. God I loved the days when Gates of Hell was popular enough to keep a 20 person server full, even with a password up.

I used to love getting custom skins for CS, I wouldn't mind different "outfits" as long as they're not clown suits or something offputting. In fact half the times my custom skins would put me at a disadvantage, I like more realistic camoflauge style that were harder to see.

My favorite custom skin was a badass complete re-do of the para to a chaingun; sounds, reload animations and everything. The only thing that sucked was that it was still the para...you'd run in with this badass chaingun (on your side) thinking you'd tear shit up...and die from a pistol.

Gonna be shweet, I don't even care that it's gonna be on the consoles. Valve is too smart to make a shitty port to pc.

Gonna be shweet, I don't even care that it's gonna be on the consoles. Valve is too smart to make a shitty port to pc.

That's the only thing I'm skeptical about. Will it retain the original physics and controls since it's now multi-platform.
I haven't seen a pure PC game go multiplatform without ruining the core essence of the game.

It's official:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/6059/

I don't think the "physics" in CS are anything beyond the consoles power. Besides, isn't it already on consoles?

I'm pretty impressed that CS is still one of the top games on Steam 12 years after its initial release, but one thing has me puzzled...

Code:
63,452	67,082	 	Team Fortress 2
50,153	55,238	 	Counter-Strike
48,662	53,007	 	Counter-Strike: Source
26,191	28,796	 	Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
23,722	27,158	 	Football Manager 2011
22,381	25,750	 	Terraria
20,195	20,195	 	Sid Meier's Civilization V
19,123	20,052	 	Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer
12,489	12,489	 	Left 4 Dead 2
10,068	11,151	 	Fallout New Vegas

Why on earth is the original Counter-Strike beating CS:S?

Who are these people that still play the original? I mean, CS:S is - for all intents and purposes - graphically obsolete. The original is pretty much stone age at this point.

I tried playing through the original Half Life a few months back for old times sake. I just couldn't do it. It looked so bad compared to what I've become used to, that I shut it off after 15 minutes.

Other observations:
  • TF2 shot to the top because of it becoming free to play
  • People still play CoD MW2, despite there being two games in the series following it, and it being universally rejected as a bd game ruining the original when it first came out?
  • Those crazy europeans and south americans sure do love their soccer. That must explain Football Manager 2011
  • Terraria: Never heard of it, is it any good?
  • Civ 5: its a pretty good game. I think Civ 4 was better though.
  • Black Ops. Not my type of game, but its popular on the console so I guess there must be some spillover to the PC.
  • Left 4 Dead 2. I never played this franchise. Worth $19.99 on steam?
  • Fallout New Vegas: Must have been because of the recent Quake con sale where it sold for $10 and Fallout 3 sold for $6.75. I got both, but they are so unbelievably buggy that I can barely play them.

Last edited:
Oh man, if you've never played L4D or L4D2, absolutely. It's a frikken blast, especially if you're playing with nothing but friends.

Zarathustra[H];1037624040 said:
I'm pretty impressed that CS is still one of the top games on Steam 12 years after its initial release, but one thing has me puzzled...

Code:
63,452	67,082	 	Team Fortress 2
50,153	55,238	 	Counter-Strike
48,662	53,007	 	Counter-Strike: Source
26,191	28,796	 	Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
23,722	27,158	 	Football Manager 2011
22,381	25,750	 	Terraria
20,195	20,195	 	Sid Meier's Civilization V
19,123	20,052	 	Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer
12,489	12,489	 	Left 4 Dead 2
10,068	11,151	 	Fallout New Vegas

Who are these people that still play the original? I mean, CS:S is - for all intents and purposes - graphically obsolete. The original is pretty much stone age at this point.

I tried playing through the original Half Life a few months back for old times sake. I just couldn't do it. It looked so bad compared to what I've become used to, that I shut it off after 15 minutes.

Other observations:
  • TF2 shot to the top because of it becoming free to play
  • People still play CoD MW2, despite there being two games in the series following it, and it being universally rejected as a bd game ruining the original when it first came out?
  • Those crazy europeans and south americans sure do love their soccer. That must explain Football Manager 2011
  • Terraria: Never heard of it, is it any good?
  • Civ 5: its a pretty good game. I think Civ 4 was better though.
  • Black Ops. Not my type of game, but its popular on the console so I guess there must be some spillover to the PC.
  • Left 4 Dead 2. I never played this franchise. Wirth $19.99 on steam?
  • Fallout New Vegas: Must have been because of the recent Quake con sale where it sold for $10 and Fallout 3 sold for $6.75. I got both, but they are so unbelievably buggy that I can barely play them.

CSS was #1 on that list forever. When Valve updated the game to orange box it really hurt the game termendously. Leagues shut down, The competition side of it is very poor right now.

I don't think the "physics" in CS are anything beyond the consoles power. Besides, isn't it already on consoles?

Using the controller to aim, run and jump changes how people would control the player.
Adding compensation to the mechanics can affect how the player moves and aim.
I doubt they are going to make two different games, so it would be interesting to see of it stays a pure PC game.

L4D Play with friends though, otherwise it's not much fun.
As for HL1, it doesn't look that bad, did you get the high poly pack?
When did TF2 cost money? lol. I guess I shoulda played it more often.

CSS was #1 on that list forever. When Valve updated the game to orange box it really hurt the game termendously. Leagues shut down, The competition side of it is very poor right now.

Ahh, I didn't play at all from ~2005 to mid 2010, when I picked CS:S up again.

I fear I was away from it so long that I didn't even notice the changes.

What changes were people so up in arms about?

I've only played like CS:S for maybe less than a hour total. I stopped playing CS after they shut down WON servers and moved to steam.

Using the controller to aim, run and jump changes how people would control the player.
Adding compensation to the mechanics can affect how the player moves and aim.
I doubt they are going to make two different games, so it would be interesting to see of it stays a pure PC game.

When they did the xbox? (i forgot which console it was exactly) version of CS, one of the design changes they made was changing the maps so game plays more "horizontally" compared to "vertically." At least that was what they said in the interviews before realize, I can't confirm if that is true or not since I've never played it.

I tried playing through the original Half Life a few months back for old times sake. I just couldn't do it. It looked so bad compared to what I've become used to, that I shut it off after 15 minutes.[/list]
The gunplay between the two games is surprisingly different. I've had lots of fun with CS:S and I don't turn my nose up to it like some do, but I had my best times with the franchise playing the original... the beta versions really. That was when CS was the most fun for me. It didn't help that CS:S had to compete with Soldier of Fortune II, which replaced it pretty quickly for me as my mainstay online "realistic" shooter.

And the original HL is infinitely replayable IMO. Just an absolutely fantastic game. Who cares if it doesn't look new anymore. Hell, Doom is still a blast to play.

I just read the Hands on ESEA article. Its a totally new game engine and they are saying the graphics are far superior in Pre-Beta than CSS.

God, I hope it's a new engine. I'm sooo sick of Source.

It's not a new engine, just the next revision of the Source engine.

They will not. Maps have never been interchangable. Use the SDK and remake the map on the new game. ;)

If straight imports won't be available, it should be a straightforward port from the Orange Box version of the engine to the Portal2/L4D2/CSGO version. Of course, it'll be mostly meaningless as the old maps won't be balanced at all for the CS:GO changes, esp. wall spamming and nades.

Gameplay trumps graphics.

I always thought not liking CS:S and being able to get into it because it felt different was just my imagination and a placebo effect lol...

The gunplay between the two games is surprisingly different. I've had lots of fun with CS:S and I don't turn my nose up to it like some do, but I had my best times with the franchise playing the original... the beta versions really. That was when CS was the most fun for me.

IMO, beta 5.2 and even 6 was the high point for the series. Although that's a bit of nostalgia talking, character models sinking halfway into the ground when crouching and other weird bugs were pretty bad. That was when CS was more quake style with "real" guns; movement was much faster, you could actually dodge crap and AWP battles with dodging and strafing were epic. P90 was retardedly OP, but still fun...running in and spraying down 5 people with 1 clip was too much fun. And then you could turn around and snipe across the map with it.

Gameplay trumps graphics.

Granted its been quite a while, but when I originally switched my game servers over from 1.6 to Source back in 2004 some time, I don't recall the gameplay feeling significantly different...

Maybe this has something to do with the Orange Box update? What happened there anyway?

I haven't compared them side by side since. In fact, I haven't even launched 1.6 since 2004 or so.

Zarathustra[H];1037624112 said:
Ahh, I didn't play at all from ~2005 to mid 2010, when I picked CS:S up again.

I fear I was away from it so long that I didn't even notice the changes.

What changes were people so up in arms about?

The netcode completely changed
The recoil, physics, hotboxes, and registry was different.
The game was and still is TF2'ized
tickrate was removed on servers and locked to 66 tick
Just recently they took Server Side FPS out of the game and locked it to 66.
Old demos no longer played(this hit the movie making scene hard)

The way the engine ran was different then before. When you spend so much time and effort to perfect a game then such a huge change happens.
Not to mention it took valve 6 months to fix everything they broke and had messed up. Alot of people quit CS and went to other games. Since then its been dying a slow death.

It went from Source Engine 2006 to Source Engine 2009.

IMO, beta 5.2 and even 6 was the high point for the series. Although that's a bit of nostalgia talking, character models sinking halfway into the ground when crouching and other weird bugs were pretty bad. That was when CS was more quake style with "real" guns; movement was much faster, you could actually dodge crap and AWP battles with dodging and strafing were epic. P90 was retardedly OP, but still fun...running in and spraying down 5 people with 1 clip was too much fun. And then you could turn around and snipe across the map with it.

Scoped m4 :D

I think I had the most fun in the Beta 6 through Beta 8 timeframe, but its been so long that I can barely remember.

Zarathustra[H];1037624164 said:
Scoped m4 :D

I think I had the most fun in the Beta 6 through Beta 8 timeframe, but its been so long that I can barely remember.

OMG scoped m4! Was the best on cs_church roof. :)

And unless my memory is going, I think it went from beta 7 to 1.0, at which point the game went even more viral and a flood of cheaters overwhelmed the game.

The netcode completely changed
The recoil, physics, hotboxes, and registry was different.
The game was and still is TF2'ized
tickrate was removed on servers and locked to 66 tick
Just recently they took Server Side FPS out of the game and locked it to 66.
Old demos no longer played(this hit the movie making scene hard)

The way the engine ran was different then before. When you spend so much time and effort to perfect a game then such a huge change happens.
Not to mention it took valve 6 months to fix everything they broke and had messed up. Alot of people quit CS and went to other games. Since then its been dying a slow death.

It went from Source Engine 2006 to Source Engine 2009.

Ahh, I was playing on a 100 tick server as recently as earlier this summer. Then some updates mid summer broke the hack the server I played on was using to make it work, and its been 66 tick ever since.

OMG scoped m4! Was the best on cs_church roof. :)

And unless my memory is going, I think it went from beta 7 to 1.0, at which point the game went even more viral and a flood of cheaters overwhelmed the game.

That may be right. Man that's like 9 years ago though. how do you remember this shit? :p

I can barely remember what I ate for lunch yesterday.

Zarathustra[H];1037624185 said:
That may be right. Man that's like 9 years ago though. how do you remember this shit? :p
Seriously! The only thing that sticks out in my mind about the original (besides how fun it was) was the wonky vehicles they added in the one update and then immediately removed in the following update. They were buggy as hell and hilarious!

I remember being amazed by the test map with the jeep in it though. It was like, holy shit, this is the future of gaming! :D

Back