Could use some opinions on upgrades

Sounds like you'd go with the HDT-S1283?

Yes. The bolt thru kit + HDT-S1283 > Sunbeam's weird mounting contraption IMO.

I'm personally not a fan of the push pin design and actually like the AMD retention clip better. But since that Sunbeam HSF combines both, I'm very ehhhh about it.

Called Microcenter to see if they had the Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit. Turns out they have ONE left of the XIGMATEK ACK-I7751.

XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 + XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 = $45.23

Called Microcenter to see if they had the Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit. Turns out they have ONE left of the XIGMATEK ACK-I7751.

XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 + XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 = $45.23
Is that with tax included?
Isn't the HDT-S1283 $30 at MC?

Is that with tax included?
Isn't the HDT-S1283 $30 at MC?

Yes on both counts.

• XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 $11.99
  • XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 $29.99

$45 with tax

By the way any thoughts on Provantage? Read something weird about them the other day. Can get the RC-590 case for just under $69 with s/h. S/h is almost $20 of that.

I (finally) did it. Here's the list:

• Intel E8400 (from TigerDirect on Monday)
  • Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (from Newegg moments ago)
  • BFG LS-550 (from NE)
  • Tuniq TX-2 (from NE)
  • Cooler Master RC-590 (from NE)
  • PNY 9600 GSO (already bought local, on sale and a GC!)
  • Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (pick up tomorrow local)
  • Xigmateck ACK-I7751 (pick up tomorrow local)
  • OCZ Reaper PC2 8500 2x1Gig (freebie)

When all is said and done (ok, 2 MIRs) = $449.62

2 - SATAII Seagate 250G (perpendicular recording) drives will move to this box along with a DVD, CD burner (may drop the CD burner) and a multimedia card reader, for that gotta have 3.5" external case bay.

So $10 for the ACK-I7751? not bad. Looks fine to me.

I've only used provantage once, and they were fine... no problems at all. They get recommended a lot here for PSU and case prices, but haven't heard anything bad about them other than your earlier post (which I didn't fully understand).

So $10 for the ACK-I7751? not bad. Looks fine to me.

I've only used provantage once, and they were fine... no problems at all. They get recommended a lot here for PSU and case prices, but haven't heard anything bad about them other than your earlier post (which I didn't fully understand).

$12 for the ACK local.

Some people in a forum were complaining that the prices were great but then when they went to order they would get notified that the price was higher. These people were pissed because the sale was made and then this seller was said to be changing the price after the transaction.

Thanks so much for all the help! Several of you, and especially a few of you, provided a lot of helpful information and feedback.

I 'spose I need to read the "notes" on how to overclock if I want help, eh? Or is anyone here up to that?

A bit old and a little outdated but most of it is still relevant to current Gigabyte motherboards:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

And look through this thread for more specific settings for that UD3R mobo:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1352805

And finally, post pics of the PC if you can!

Will do!

I want to mention a special thanks to you Danny. Positive attitude and you took a shitload of questions. Some of which were directed to you. I appreciate it. :D

I plan to start building next week. Assuming Newegg's order arrives ~ Monday.

If I run into a snag I hope it's cool to jump back into this thread. My plan is to get the build complete and then load XP Pro w/SP3 (I will admit I have not updated my PCs to SP3) and any other OS updates, driver updates, mb BIOS, etc. Full backup then install all the software I use which is time consuming :eek:. Then another full backup after any software patches. There will be a few I'm sure.

I want to play with it bit and then OC. Hopefully soon.

Yah, jump back in here or create a new thread (link this thread, though, for reference).

Also, plz post pics of the build. :D

What kind pf pics? Parts and complete build. Or just a couple of the complete build.

I aim to plz.

Whatever you want. Some people take a before (all parts brand new, ensemble shot) and after (all built inside case), and some people add the in-progress shots as well. We'll be happy with whatever pics you post of the build. :p

Well, I'll pick up the Xigmatek products today and the Newegg shipment is schedule to arrive Monday. I thought I was going to end up buying elsewhere but glad I was able to do a good chunck of business at Newegg. Good service and fast shipping. Monday really will be a holiday (along with MLK)!

In the past I've had a tendency to just put all the hardware together and go. Anyone have a better suggestion for a process?

By the way. Has anyone seen the HDT-S1283 first hand? This thing is BIG. :eek: Even with the Crossbow is this still an issue. That thing is going to be suspended horizontally.

In the past I've had a tendency to just put all the hardware together and go. Anyone have a better suggestion for a process?
That's just pretty much how you do it. The order you install the parts in is up to you. There's no specific method, really.
By the way. Has anyone seen the HDT-S1283 first hand? This thing is BIG. :eek: Even with the Crossbow is this still an issue. That thing is going to be suspended horizontally.

I've got one, and although it's big, it's still manageable. Don't worry about a thing.

That's just pretty much how you do it. The order you install the parts in is up to you. There's no specific method, really.

I know some put in RAM then boot up, then add video card and so on. Have never bothered myself but equipment changes over time and I was curious.

I've got one, and although it's big, it's still manageable. Don't worry about a thing.

Cool. I took it out of the box and was really surprised. Was wondering if the crossbow helped much since it's not very big

I know some put in RAM then boot up, then add video card and so on. Have never bothered myself but equipment changes over time and I was curious.
I don't bother with all of that messing around. I just put it together, and it generally works. There's no point in wasting time testing each individual component unless you actually have a problem.
Cool. I took it out of the box and was really surprised. Was wondering if the crossbow helped much since it's not very big
The Crossbow basically just attaches the cooler more securely to the board. It does help, although the push-pins do work fine by themselves.

I don't bother with all of that messing around. I just put it together, and it generally works. There's no point in wasting time testing each individual component unless you actually have a problem.

Ha.. good to hear others dive in. Certainly agree about working through a component issue if one comes up.

Are there any BIOS settings to concern myself with however? I don't plan to overclock when I first install. Maybe in a week or two as I need to get this together for now. Or are these mb's so good they catch everything on Auto?

Everything should be good on Auto, but I always run through the BIOS quickly on my first boot just to make sure everything is the way it should be.

In your reply about the Xigmatek. When you attach it to the Crossbow how do you know how much to tighten it down. The springs are a nice for tension but....

Sometimes Gigabyte mobo's designate the E8400 a 8.5x multiplier instead of 9x. Something to look out for.

In your reply about the Xigmatek. When you attach it to the Crossbow how do you know how much to tighten it down. The springs are a nice for tension but....
I don't use the Crossbow so I can't say for certain. However, you should probably just screw them in as far as they will go. That's the way it's been with all the bolt-through heatsinks I've dealt with. Also, remember to alternate between opposite corners to balance out the tension properly.

I don't use the Crossbow so I can't say for certain. However, you should probably just screw them in as far as they will go. That's the way it's been with all the bolt-through heatsinks I've dealt with. Also, remember to alternate between opposite corners to balance out the tension properly.

Hmm..makes me a little concerned. You just used the push through pins with this HDT-S1283? Seemed it was a concern of the mb taking stress and causing damage. Come Monday I'll see if the manual makes any recommendations. I would think it would be easy to have to much tension and cause problems.

Sometimes Gigabyte mobo's designate the E8400 a 8.5x multiplier instead of 9x. Something to look out for.

Apparently if it won't boot or if you see the wrong native Ghz speed at post you'll find this out? Then adjust in BIOS.

Hmm..makes me a little concerned. You just used the push through pins with this HDT-S1283? Seemed it was a concern of the mb taking stress and causing damage. Come Monday I'll see if the manual makes any recommendations. I would think it would be easy to have to much tension and cause problems.
I've had absolutely no problems with mine, although I don't exactly move it around a lot. I doubt you'll have any problems with too much tension though. The bolt-through kits are designed to apply the proper amount.
Apparently if it won't boot or if you see the wrong native Ghz speed at post you'll find this out? Then adjust in BIOS.
Well, if that is indeed the case, it'll just boot at a lower frequency, which will be easy to spot when the motherboard reports the CPU speed during POST. All you'd have to do is change the multiplier in the BIOS, which is trivial.

The springs help distribute the proper tension more evenly. The screws will stop screwing after a certain point. I use the retention kits because I don't like how the boards warp, despite sometimes being ever so slightly.

Starting the build now. Have CPU in and HDT-S1283 attached. I opted to fill the small gaps along side the heat pipes where it makes contact with the CPU. Scraped off excess and then used a couple of lines like here:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

Looking good at this point.

Doh...which way to face the fan on the S1283? I know which way I want it to blow but not sure which side should attached to the S1283.

How big is the S1283 in the CM590? Half the width?

I'm also interested in how quiet it runs, if you don't mind reporting after you're done.

Doh...which way to face the fan on the S1283? I know which way I want it to blow but not sure which side should attached to the S1283.
One side of the fan has the struts that connect the motor to the casing. That side should be pointing into the fins.

How big is the S1283 in the CM590? Half the width?

I'm also interested in how quiet it runs, if you don't mind reporting after you're done.

Not a problem. Taking some photos also.

Attaching fan now. A little spit on the rubber pieces does the trick to push/pull them into the holes in the corners of the fan. Pretty easy to attach to heat sync fins itself. Manual recommends starting at third space down from the top which lands you same place at the bottom.

If you don't see some info/pics in the next few days feel free to nudge me.

Question: as mentioned previous after the new build was complete I was going to install the two SATA2 drives (C and D) from the previous build. Use a boot disc and back up both drives to an external disc so I could get to needed data later from the new system.

One time the process just hung. The second time was an error about corrupt data. I've never had any issues with any of these discs. Someone told me to remove the jumper from the Seagate drives so they could operate at 3Gbps and that this was the issue. What? So I tried it but got another of the same error. Using Acronis.

I connected drive C (from previous system that I was attempting to backup) to my laptop using one of those SATA/IDE 2.5/3.5 -> USB kits. Ran chkdsk and it corrected errors on this drive as well as the external drive I was trying to back up to. Hmm.. ??

Currently I'm running a full backup of the drive C (mentioned above) using the kit and backing up the to external USB drive via my laptop. Speed is great and it looks to be going fine.

What happened and do I have a show stopper on the new build??

Edit:
Maybe it's the controller on the Ximeta enclosure. Happened while connected to the laptop. There have been a couple of times where I copied all data on ext drive to internal drive and reformatted ext due to some errors. All was fine after. Ximeta actually recommended this one.

Moving forward with formatting C in SATA2 mode in new rig. Will install XP Pro after.

Question: I see an option to run SATA in RAID/IDE/ACHI. By default it's set to IDE. Is this the way to go? I'm finding mixed info on ACHI vs IDE.

WTF...BSOD so fast I cannot read it. Something is hosing up. Seemed to be some strange behavior. Formatted drive and then did install. BSOD, restarted and seemed okay. Created two users and went to log off as one and BSOD again. Can't read what the message is and something is obviously screwing.

WTF...BSOD so fast I cannot read it.

Next time when you boot, do this:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_automatic_restart_to_read_blue_screen_messages.htm

Keep it at IDE for now. And just for the hell of it:
[Testing the RAM]
Download Memtest+ v2.10 or whatever the latest version is, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately as well as test the RAM together. Go for a full 24 hours if you want to be completely sure that the RAM is not a problem. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is defective or you have incorrect settings for the RAM.

[Testing the Hard drive]
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

Next time when you boot, do this:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_automatic_restart_to_read_blue_screen_messages.htm

Keep it at IDE for now. And just for the hell of it:
[Testing the RAM]
Download Memtest+ v2.10 or whatever the latest version is, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately as well as test the RAM together. Go for a full 24 hours if you want to be completely sure that the RAM is not a problem. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is defective or you have incorrect settings for the RAM.

[Testing the Hard drive]
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

HDDs should be fine as I've been using them for some odd months in other system.

I wonder if it's a Mem setting. However after getting a chance to install drivers from the Gigabyte disc and rebooting I now get the error: "missing or corrupt system32\drivers\pci.sys" gives me the option to repair. I reboot and get same message.

This is one reason I was reluctant to build my own again. Shit like this is TIME consuming!

Nice: running Memtest +86 v2.11 and getting lots of errors right away running at 1066! Bad RAM or bad setting somewhere? Hey..it may be something I'm doing I'm not sure.

I drop to 800 and don't see errors yet.

Nice: running Memtest +86 v2.11 and getting lots of errors right away running at 1066! Bad RAM or bad setting somewhere? Hey..it may be something I'm doing I'm not sure.

I drop to 800 and don't see errors yet.

When you're done testing 800, set it back to 1066 but up the RAM voltage to 2.1V or 2.2V, whatever is the max for your RAM. .

Your thread is so long, what RAM do you have again? I agree with Danny, it might just be your voltage setting.

Your thread is so long, what RAM do you have again? I agree with Danny, it might just be your voltage setting.

OCZ2RPR10662GK

What utilities are recommended to check CPU/RAM settings and voltage, etc., to check settings while in Windows?

Also, on voltage. I changed the DRAM voltage from 1.8 to 2.1. There are three other settings I'm not sure what to do with:

DRAM Termination
Channel A Reference
Channel B Reference

All of the above are on AUTO and showing .9v.

Back