Could use some opinions on upgrades

I'm back to running things flat (the standard settings and no OC).

This was the OC:

• CPU Host Freq = 450
  • SMM - 2.00B = 900
  • RAM Timings = 5/6/6/18 (OCZ specs)
  • CPU VCore = 1.3v
  • MCH Core = 1.2V
  • DRAM Volt = 2.2v (OCZ specs - also current setting)

Any recommendations on where to tweak? Say incremental starting with the MCH Core? I've read where people were getting good OC at 1.25v (default) for the 3Ghz speed for the E8400.

Thanks for the feedback. Zero82z: thanks for pitching in!

Any recommendations on where to tweak? Say incremental starting with the MCH Core? I've read where people were getting good OC at 1.25v (default) for the 3Ghz speed for the E8400.
The MCH voltage would be a good thing to try. You could also try raising the Vcore a bit if that isn't stable. If none of that works, try raising the FSB termination and CPU PLL voltages by 0.1V each and see if that helps.

The MCH voltage would be a good thing to try. You could also try raising the Vcore a bit if that isn't stable. If none of that works, try raising the FSB termination and CPU PLL voltages by 0.1V each and see if that helps.

How do you determine if the CPU VCore isn't stable? Or is this a suggestion to try along with the MCH, etc.?

How do you determine if the CPU VCore isn't stable? Or is this a suggestion to try along with the MCH, etc.?

Well if your OC is failing or not passing any of the tests (sorta like the core 1 problem you had earlier), that means that CPU vCore is not enough or "not stable". So you up the vCore. And yes you can try it along with the MCH.

Remember that the max VCore for the E8400 is 1.4V.

I didn't mean if the Vcore isn't stable (that statement doesn't actually make sense), I meant if the first thing I suggested isn't stable, you should try raising the Vcore.

Well if your OC is failing or not passing any of the tests (sorta like the core 1 problem you had earlier), that means that CPU vCore is not enough or "not stable". So you up the vCore. And yes you can try it along with the MCH.

Remember that the max VCore for the E8400 is 1.4V.

Sounds like I should start with the MCH?

Sounds like I should start with the MCH?
Your current MCH voltage is fairly low, and you're trying to run at a pretty high FSB speed. Based on that, I think raising the MCH voltage could help your stability.

Raise your MCH voltage +0.1. If its still not stable, raise to the next one. Don't go any higher than +0.2v. This was in BillParish's guide.

I didn't mean if the Vcore isn't stable (that statement doesn't actually make sense)...

Sure it does, just not in the same sense he's thinking about. :p

Okay...will adjust MCH voltage in +.1 increments and no more than a total of .2 max. Not much change. So I was using 1.2 so I will go no higher than 1.4.

The OCCT test error'd out after 10 minutes with that Core #1 error using the Auto test for 1 hour on the CPU. Stick with this test for reference or bench with another?

Bumped up the MCH +.1. Ran the OCCT and after about 15 minutes the PC rebooted. I'll try one more +.1 or should I try smaller increments? Previously at 1.2 I just got an error and OCCT reported it. This time reboot at 1.3.

I think you should be good up to 1.4V; maybe a bit higher. You can also play around with the other voltages I mentioned a few posts back.

I think you should be good up to 1.4V; maybe a bit higher. You can also play around with the other voltages I mentioned a few posts back.

Right. I'm just being cautious not having experience with this. Probably a pain but looking for some "hand holding". I don't want to screw anything up.

Also, is it necessary to two the CPU voltage? I have it at 1.3. I'm wondering if I should drop it and leave the MCH voltage.

Also, is it necessary to adjust the CPU voltage? I have it at 1.25 (now was 1.3). I'm wondering if I should drop the CPU voltage and leave the MCH voltage. I read somewhere that a this CPU was set to 4G with the V set 1.25 (default).

Back