Corsair PSU Survey

That won't help either, theres basically very little of an air gap in the SG01-SG02 cases between the psu and the case cover if you rotate the PSU around.

I agree that a single 120mm fan in the bottom of the PSU is not ideal.

In addition to the problems mentioned, the cooling performance isn't very good. The 120mm fan takes already heated air from your case (heated by your CPU, GPU etc.) and sucks it into the PSU where the hot air gets stuck because there's no exhaust fan. It just circulates inside the PSU. If you have the PSU in the top of the case, you can feel how the outside of your case heats up when the PSU is working hard...that's not the way the heat is meant to be removed...

If you put your hand behind the PSU exhaust, you can feel for yourself that there isn't a lot of air coming from the PSU even when the PSU fan is spinning at a high RPM. The idea is to move as much hot air out from the PSU as possible in shortest time possible..Sucking even more heated air into the PSU apparently doesn't do much good. There's also no need for the PSU to double as an exhaust fan for the case - most of us already have a number of 80mm, 92mm or even 120mm exhaust fans in our cases.

PSUs with dual fans or a single 80mm exhaust fan run cooler than PSUs with a single 92mm or 120mm intake fan in my experience at least.

I didn't care for the way that survey was set up. It seemed suspiciously like they're trying to figure out what features they can skimp on in future models.

Listen carefully, Corsair: You guys are currently the front runner for my next PSU purchase. Don't screw it up now by letting the MBA's make decisions that should be left to the engineers.

My next PSU will meet the following criteria:

- 50C Rated
- Excellent Voltage Regulation
- Low Ripple
- Modular
- 80 Plus Efficient
- 100% Japanese Capacitors
- 120mm+ Fan
- 5 Year Warranty

These are not in order of importance, each one is a deal breaker.

I felt the exact same way, and almost didn't do the survey because of it.

The 1st time I heard of Corsair making a PSU was when I won one at GeForce LAN back in 06. I just picked up a 750TX to replace an old school BFG KW PSU I had that died in my file server. I love Corsair PSUs and always choose them when building a system for myself or friends. However, I also like Silverstone's SFF PSU. The short cable length made a big differrence in the uATX rig I built for a buddy.

You had a 1000W PSU in a file server??

Dear Corsair.

Silly boys, you asked my opinion, well I did the survey but fasten your seat belts cause my last customers machine is built and burning in and my games server is down for patches and I got time to kill !

All I want is....

A well engineered supply that easily meets all ATX etc. specs, is constructed of quality components, good quiet cooling for long life with a long warranty at a fair price. Some kind of paint/finish so it does not rust is also good, anything but pink or faux fur.

50C was interesting but anyone who lets their power supply run that hot deserves to have it fail and no decent power supply designer in this day and time would/should not have any internals getting near that temp with the large fans now used even running slow. Heatsinks and airflow with large fan if considered along with the primary design and not some after thought make a 50C rating silly from a costs/benefits view even if your machine is outdoors in the Sahara, in direct sun. Excellent quality very low ESR caps rated 80C are sufficient.. .

That said, rating at 20C is stupid too. Hey heres a thought ! Run the supply at full rated load in a 80F warm room and measure the temp rise in the PSU enclosure. Then redesign/check the components, tweak the design, whatever and rate the supply. Something like "In a typical warm room of 80F/27C this supply experiences an internal temp rise of 15C under full load. This supply is rated at xxx watts at 42C. Doing it this way will drive the thermal design to be more efficient rather than beefing things up for a 50C number that most of us will never see/use/want. Nonstandard but food for thought. The point is to make the rating directly related to the real world use in an easy to understand way.

You want a million+ dollar marketing idea? Here it is for free.

Make exactly the same spec supply in all regards except for modular vs non-modular cabling with a simple and easy to understand model numbering scheme. 600 600m 800 800m 1000 1000m - whatever. Redesign the enclosure so that the basic enclosure is exactly the same for both models with the rear panel interchangeable depending on modular or not. The only difference in manuf would be that rear panel and its connections/soldering to the board or pass thru for normal cables. It would be clever if the modular panels wires were coded and connected exactly like the discrete cabling for ease of assembly on the line and any wiring changes/routing needed for modular cables be done on the modular cabling rear panel itself. It is time someone redid that clamshell thing anyway. While you are basically a "rebrander" you should have enough pull/clout, I hope with your vendor(s)s to make this happen. Dangle the "you would get all our business " carrot out there.

Efficiency above some number is a diminishing returns kinda thing, frankly I don't give a rats ass between 85% and 87% - the money over 3 years would not buy a 12 pack. Now if you could make one 110% efficient so I could sell the extra back to the power company, that would be something. You are catering to enthusiasts, a lot of us OC. While power costs are a concern they are way down the list once over 80%. (a 10% delta would get my attention so if and when we get into the 90s with real loads I might care) Clean reliable power is what I want from a supply and the knowledge if it does die it will be replaced, if in warranty and not abused, with a minimum of bother.

Oh and what the hell is with the sleeving not going all the way into the supply. Is there some damn law that the hole in the rear panel has to be some damn standard size ? Make the stinking thing bigger and get the sleeving all the way into the supply. The connector end is fine, I usually need the flexibility the last unsleeved inch gives so that is not a problem. Modular - not-modular, personally I don't care and I have never had a customer care either once I tell them I will dress the unused cables in a neat manner out of sight. I wonder if you worked with case manufactures to provide a hole in the case chassis/motherboard tray/mounting so that unused cables could easily be hidden behind the motherboard mounting panel and the right side panel if the whole modular cable yes/no question would go away. It not like the length of power supply enclosures varies so greatly a decent oval sized hole would not do for 99% of the supplies in the world.

But at the end of it all, it is your NAME that is important and the way you keep your NAME at the top of my list is with a quality product at a fair price with excellent customer support. So far as I can see you are doing very very well, strive to never-EVER let a DOA supply out of your doors and the world will beat a path to them. I can forgive an awful lot if you treat me as a valued customer when an issue arises. Soon as you stop doing that, I stop putting your supplies in customers machines.

Love ya, mean it.

Oh and if some beancounter comes alongs and says you can save xxxx $ by not including the black mounting screws or using the standard sliver ones, break his kneecaps.

Because the bottom mounted 120mm fans for PSU's fight with our HSF for air, doesn't work too well. Redbeard, I hope you take note of this.

Freezebyte, just turn the PSU around. I run a SFF system as well but would much rather like 120mm fans.

I really hope Corsair can maintain their level of quality and pricing, because for a while now I haven't even had to consider other PSUs when recommending them to other people.

Indeed there are always ways around this issue.

In addition to the problems mentioned, the cooling performance isn't very good. The 120mm fan takes already heated air from your case (heated by your CPU, GPU etc.) and sucks it into the PSU where the hot air gets stuck because there's no exhaust fan. It just circulates inside the PSU. If you have the PSU in the top of the case, you can feel how the outside of your case heats up when the PSU is working hard...that's not the way the heat is meant to be removed...

If you put your hand behind the PSU exhaust, you can feel for yourself that there isn't a lot of air coming from the PSU even when the PSU fan is spinning at a high RPM. The idea is to move as much hot air out from the PSU as possible in shortest time possible..Sucking even more heated air into the PSU apparently doesn't do much good. There's also no need for the PSU to double as an exhaust fan for the case - most of us already have a number of 80mm, 92mm or even 120mm exhaust fans in our cases.

PSUs with dual fans or a single 80mm exhaust fan run cooler than PSUs with a single 92mm or 120mm intake fan in my experience at least.

This however is just FUD. 120mm, 135mm, and 140mm fans do a fine job of cooling units that they are designed to be used in.

I REALLY wish that Corsair would make more modular PSUs. I just find it strange that there are six non-modular PSU models yet only three modular.

Yes, I would definitely take a modular PSU that is rated at 85% efficiency at 50C over a non-modular PSU that is 87%. I mean seriously, my 750TX has EIGHT SATA connectors. I use two (hard drive and an optical drive). I'd imagine the vast majority of systems this PSU is intended for uses only three to four. I'm sure there are people out there who would use more, but they are fewer in number, and would be sated with modular connectors.

I was considering the 620W modular model, however the price was 1.5 times MORE than the 750W non-modular model. Had they been the same price, I might've reconsidered. Had there been a 720W modular model for slightly more than the 750W non-modular model, I would've definitely gotten it.

I was also rather upset to find out that my 750W PSU is not Seasonic made, but rather CWT. I simply assumed it was Seasonic like my previous models (650 and 450). I thought that something was up when I installed it into this system. The sound of the fan (both the profile and relative dB level) was different. After some reading I found out that's not all that's different. Now don't get me wrong, it's still a pretty good unit, but I'd just like to be able to buy a brand and be sure what's inside it from previous experience. I don't want to look at every single model and do research every single time. Had I known it was CWT, I probably would've just opted for another 650W or even gone with the modular 620W. How am I to say that one manufacturer is as good as another without research? Just as the CWT model is good enough for me for this system, it could've just as been not good enough for another person for another system.

Please, don't listen to this guy. A big reason of why I chose Corsair PSUs over other, also reliable, competitor's products is because Corsair uses only a single, very quiet, fan and still has incredible reliability. Regardless of anecdotal temperatures, the end results speak for themselves; the overall unit is quiet, reliable, and very efficient (even the CWT models, just not quite as so, watt for watt).

Oh and if some beancounter comes alongs and says you can save xxxx $ by not including the black mounting screws or using the standard sliver ones, break his kneecaps.
:pROFLMAO :p

.....we will do it! And take his beans and his counter away too!
:D

:pROFLMAO :p

.....we will do it! And take his beans and his counter away too!
:D
Doesn't surprise me a bit. Still got the SWAT gear? If so, use the battering ram on his office door (because you KNOW he has one), mace him, THEN cut off his beans :)

Done:

bought 4 corsair PSUs for myself and a few for friends builds so far not any problems.

Just to say that some people want lower powered PSUs also want modular cables. not everyone runs dual video cards and 6 hard drives, but they still want a neat case for Home theater or music studio or whatnot.

I did the survey in hopes that they decide to make an 800 or 850 watt PSU that is modular. Right now I am using the HX520 but I am in the process of shopping around for a more powerful unit.

It would be nice if they actually made a fully modular unit not one that is semi - modular. I wouldn't mind the trade off between this and the energy efficiency. For the moment I stopped looking at the corsairs because the highest modular unit under 1000w is the hx620, but my range is between 800 and 900 watts. I have a midtower case that is going to be watecooled so I don't have space to hide the cables.

By the way I also used the HX620 in a watercooled gaming rig I built my friend.

Looking at your sig and that nice machine you listed it occurred to me perhaps you might benefit from a step or two upwards in the PSU department. If your PSU is running hot enough to keep the fan on high and your case is warm…Just a thought.;)

As to Corsair, their name on a product is usually enough as far as being taken care of in the long run. Always a polite person on the phone and always a good answer to a question.

Want my advice?

Make an exact copy of the HX620, but just raise the wattage. I'd LOVE a 1200W HX PSU.

The modular 1000W isn't enough power? I wish I needed that much power and had the money. Blue's my favorite color. :D

Personally, I'd love to see an 800-900w modular unit like others have stated. Also, a 300-400w modular unit as well, which unless I'm mistaken, is in the works.

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys. So far we've gotten over 4500 completed surveys and it's been tremendously useful. We now have data that backs up our belief that things like Efficiency, Modular Cables, and Quiet Fans are important.

Every so often we'd be in a meeting and hear "Yes, but how MUCH do they care about efficiency?" and now we have real data that we can use.

Thanks again - the survey will stay up through the weekend, not sure when it'll come down.

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys. So far we've gotten over 4500 completed surveys and it's been tremendously useful. We now have data that backs up our belief that things like Efficiency, Modular Cables, and Quiet Fans are important.

Every so often we'd be in a meeting and hear "Yes, but how MUCH do they care about efficiency?" and now we have real data that we can use.

Thanks again - the survey will stay up through the weekend, not sure when it'll come down.

Very cool, wish more companies would do this. Maybe i'll look into a Corsair PSU in the future.

Well, again, all of those aspects we had to rate are of maximum importance. We'll just say 5 is .001% less than 4, and so on. ;)

Got a Corsair in my parents' rig. Got one in my current rig. Getting a 620HX on Monday for my next rig. :D

Corsair > all :D
I love your products, Redbeard, Yellowbeard and any other 'beards' that may lurk the forums. :)
I have an HX520, VX550 and TX650. All have been excellent, clean power, trouble free.

You're quite welcome, sir. Keep the awesome products coming, and we'll keeping buying them up! :)

I was extremely happy with my Corsair HX620w. I loved the design, how quiet the PSU was, how effecient it was,the modular cables are a must, the warranty, corsairs customer service all of it. I sold it a buddy locally cause I'm gonna need a little more power. I thought about going for the the HX1000 but I don't need all that power.

My next choice was 750w Corsair, or the PCPC 750w. I went with the PCPC. If Corsair offered a HX750 I would of easily gone with corsair again but I felt the PCPC was superior to the Corsair 750w and it was like $80 on sale.

The price jump between the 620w and the $250 1000w is steep. There needs to be something else in that line to fill the gap.

I have to agree with previous sentiments. I use ALL the factors you've listed when making a purchase. The more of them you can succeed with, the better.

The survey seems to look for points that can be compromised. But the goal should be to hit as many possible high points without trying to prioritize individual product assets. Prioritization leads to design compromise--not a political "compromise" but compromise the state--compromised defenses, compromised design.

There are tons of different PSU models out there. The only way to differentiate is to offer a complete package. I would never favor a particular PSU feature at the expense of another unless budget concerns forced it--and in such a case, it would not be a purchase that would build brand confidence because I would resent it.

But based on what you've said, the real reasoning behind this survey is obvious. Somebody (everybody?) up high who's way out of the target demographic and has no business directing PSU design is trying to--unsurprisingly--direct PSU design. Which puts you there who "get it" in the unenviable position of proving the validity of your understanding of your buyers.

Good luck. Just out of curiosity, are they the stodgy type who don't understand informed customers or the ill-placed higher-up who knew nothing about power supplies until they started working their current position and in reality cannot identify with their customers?

How about some better customer service?

I bought my last Corsair for the modularity, but they still haven't sent me the 8 pin cables for my HX620 that I ordered months ago when the GTX 280 came out. Calls go to voice mail, no response. No response to e-mail other, and the Corsair guys on the forum say to send e-mail. Pain in the ass company to work with.

A lot of times, it comes down to price as the equalizer between competing brands that have good reviews. The last time I bought a PSU based solely on the performance (price be damned) was an OCZ Powerstream 510 or 520W...maybe 4-5 years ago?

I've always heard good things about Corsair PSU's, but the price always ended up driving me to something else. I took the survey though, I hope it helps you guys out a lot :).

A lot of times, it comes down to price as the equalizer between competing brands that have good reviews. The last time I bought a PSU based solely on the performance (price be damned) was an OCZ Powerstream 510 or 520W...maybe 4-5 years ago?

I've always heard good things about Corsair PSU's, but the price always ended up driving me to something else. I took the survey though, I hope it helps you guys out a lot :).

I'd spend a little more now to save a lot later. I'm sure many consumers feel the same way- of course there are those who really cannot spend the extra money.

But I work with broken computers all the time and I'll be damned if I waste money on a poor power supply.

Survey completed. I'll be buying a new PSU in the very near future for a media server that I am building. My choices are narrowed down to either a PCP&C or Corsair PSU. I haven't decided quite yet but I am currently sitting next to a HX 620 that I love.

On a side note I first found out that you guys sold PSU's by reading the review here on the [H].

did mine over at jonny's. couldn't get it to work in FF either

This HX 1000 was my first Corsair PSU and I only grabbed it because of the great review it received from [H]ard|OCP. After using it for a while I love it (needed it for my GTX280 upgrade). Thanks for the great work Corsair. :)

How about some better customer service?

I bought my last Corsair for the modularity, but they still haven't sent me the 8 pin cables for my HX620 that I ordered months ago when the GTX 280 came out. Calls go to voice mail, no response. No response to e-mail other, and the Corsair guys on the forum say to send e-mail. Pain in the ass company to work with.

Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll take care of it. I must have missed your PMs or emails previously.

Love my Corsair HX1000 so I added my information to the survey. :)

Keep up the good work Corsair!

Back