Corsair officially announces new RMx Shift PSUs (side-positioned connectors)

polonyc2

Fully [H]
today Corsair officially announced the new RMx Shift ATX 3.0 line of PSUs, making it the "world’s first power supply with side-positioned connectors"...the RMx Shift series has four models with wattages ranging from 750W to 1200W...Corsair says it has tested the RMx Shift in "all current Corsair cases to guarantee compatibility"...tt should fit third-party cases as long as they're at least 210mm wide, providing enough side clearance to run the cables...

RM750x Shift - $149.99
RM850x Shift - $159.99
RM1000x Shift - $209.99
RM1200x Shift - $269.99

Just saw that earlier and it's a pretty cool feature. Some cases are so tight that it's hard to add or remove a cable from the PSU without almost removing the PSU from the case.

That's... actually kind of a cool idea, if the connectors are facing the right side of the case where you wouldn't see them through a window.

You watch the video, it looks like that is the case.

I think this could be either really useful, or plain awful depending on your case design, where the PSU mount is, and where the cable passthrough holes are.

On my current case this would actually be quite helpful, but I can easily picture cases on which this would be a bloody nightmare.

I love this...I'm surprised no one has thought of it before...I usually prefer full tower cases but had to go with Mid-Tower for my latest build and hate that it's such a PITA to switch out GPU's or anything else which requires switching out PSU cables as I have to pretty much pull the PSU out of the case first

Cool idea no doubt, but it makes me wonder why they didn't put ALL the sockets vertical instead of 1/2 vertical & the other 1/2 horizontal, if for nothing else than consistency ???

And yea, if you have a case that can accomodate this arrangement, you are golden, otherwise meh :D

Cool idea no doubt, but it makes me wonder why they didn't put ALL the sockets vertical instead of 1/2 vertical & the other 1/2 horizontal, if for nothing else than consistency ???

And yea, if you have a case that can accomodate this arrangement, you are golden, otherwise meh :D
Just eye-balling it, it looks like all horizontal wouldn't fit. As for all vertical, my guess would be either a constraint we cant see based on how the guts are configured? Or mayhaps it is based on what someone thinks is ideal for running cables, that can be so case specific though, maybe Corsair has a specific case in mind it is(/was) optimized for?

Now you have me curious too. :)

Just eye-balling it, it looks like all horizontal wouldn't fit. As for all vertical, my guess would be either a constraint we cant see based on how the guts are configured? Or mayhaps it is based on what someone thinks is ideal for running cables, that can be so case specific though, maybe Corsair has a specific case in mind it is(/was) optimized for?

Now you have me curious too. :)
Yea, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I came to the conclusion that it is probably limited by the internal component arrangement more than anything else, but surely the engineering geniuses at Corsair could have overcome that with a bit of thought & ingenuity.....maybe they should talk to the group that designed the Air 740/540/240 Series of cases....

As for the ideal way to run cables, well I think that just about anyone who cares enough about cable clutter/routing to consider buying this psu would look at several ways to ensure a clean build....myself included :D

In a high power build in a typical Corsair case, I think this would actually fit worse than a traditional PSU. I already run into trouble closing the doors on water cooled 2-GPU 5000D builds (not a problem on air cooled ones though). That's just going to be made worse with the side connector layout.

I realize that's a niche though. This is probably going to be great for the 99% of builds which are 1-GPU and air cooled.

Did anyone use this PSU in a Lian Li 011D Evo? I need a new PSU because since I got the RTX 4090 I can't close the back panel of the case. It has been like this for 2 years now but I am just growing weary of it and was thinking of using this one to minimize cables and stuff. Any ideas?

Will you need all new PSU cables with these new PSUs

Has Corsair tested these PSUs with non-Corsair cases? Is there a list of compatible cases? Probably too much to hope for.:eek:

I bought it for myself since when I got the RTX 4090, I have been unable to close the case from the back (too many large PCI e cables). This will be the last straw to see if the case can fit all the components. I will have to remove the drive cage and probably throw my 4 SSDs in a bundle (like wires) but I am OK with that as long as the damn PSU fits. My EVGA 1300 watts is too big for the case. PSU arrives in a few days so will post pics and shit.

, I have been unable to close the case from the back (too many large PCI e cables).. My EVGA 1300 watts is too big for the case. PSU arrives in a few days so will post pics and shit.
Maybe the industry needs to bring out a new series of cases that is wider, for the cable routing underneath the motherboard, and longer for bigger PSUs. Probably will result in overall price increases, :nailbiting: and a lot of old cases being recycled.:cry:

Maybe the industry needs to bring out a new series of cases that is wider, for the cable routing underneath the motherboard, and longer for bigger PSUs. Probably will result in overall price increases, :nailbiting: and a lot of old cases being recycled.:cry:

which is why I hate mid tower cases...I always go for bigger cases...more room to breathe and easier to get in there and replace components etc

which is why I hate mid tower cases...I always go for bigger cases...more room to breathe and easier to get in there and replace components etc
I haven't built a new PC in years.. tbh I've been living the cellphone life.. rarely touching a PC anymore :(

Ive been thinking about a new build.. but wth is with cases these days?! I might repurpose my Silverstone ft02... I might be a year out on a build though so who knows?

Ive been thinking about a new build.. but wth is with cases these days?! I might repurpose my Silverstone ft02... I might be a year out on a build though so who knows?
WDYM? Cases are great these days. Other than the LSD trip courtesy of all the RGB, they've never been more intuitive and convenient to build, cable manage, and cool. Except for motherboard and fans, we're almost completely tool less now as well.

Corsair RMx has been my go-to brand for years...I'm in the early stages of a new build...I'll only consider Corsair and Seasonic...although I'm not sure what to make of this new Shift series

WDYM? Cases are great these days. Other than the LSD trip courtesy of all the RGB, they've never been more intuitive and convenient to build, cable manage, and cool. Except for motherboard and fans, we're almost completely tool less now as well.

Filtered positive pressure case. Sure I could probably do the filter part myself on some cases.. but is rather the case be designed for said filters to begin with.

Size, tbh if they had a larger version of the ft02 id probably buy it lol.

I personally love the 90° layout change. It's not a requirement tho.

I don't want LEDs to be honest. Or if they are I need a master switch to turn em off..

Corsair RMx has been my go-to brand for years...I'm in the early stages of a new build...I'll only consider Corsair and Seasonic...although I'm not sure what to make of this new Shift series
I used to use Corsair,, then too many problems with Corsair quality control -> RMAs. Now I use Seasonic.

I have one in my O11-XL. Its been great so far only small quirk is the custom micro connections. Basic cable will not fit.

I have one in my O11-XL. Its been great so far only small quirk is the custom micro connections. Basic cable will not fit.

it's uses a Type 5 cable on the Shift series which is not compatible with earlier models

Is the main point of this to hide cables? If so, doesn't a PSU shroud in a case do that anyway?

Beware that 850 and 1000 watts only support 450 watts over PCIe. I only found out after receiving the PSU and promptly sent it back. Only 1200 watts has PCIe 600 watts.

Beware that 850 and 1000 watts only support 450 watts over PCIe. I only found out after receiving the PSU and promptly sent it back. Only 1200 watts has PCIe 600 watts.

that's not correct...the 850/1000 watt models do support 600W with the 12VHPWR connector...there's a lot of confusion about that online...but guys like JonnyGuru (who now works for Corsair) and others have explained it...

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/explorer/diy-builder/power-supply-units/corsair-12vhpwr-connector/

So you are telling me the factory is wrong and some JohnnyGuru guy (I know who he is) is right?

Well too late now because the POS went back and I already got my fasgear cable installed.

To get 600 watts you need to order the Corsair cable separately. Corsair can eat a dick for such shenenigans.

Attachments

• IMG_5959.jpeg
    IMG_5959.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5960.jpeg
    IMG_5960.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 1
So you are telling me the factory is wrong and some JohnnyGuru guy (I know who he is) is right?

Well too late now because the POS went back and I already got my fasgear cable installed.

To get 600 watts you need to order the Corsair cable separately. Corsair can eat a dick for such shenenigans.

are you referring to the 12VHPWR connector?...the 850W unit connector does support 600W...the PCIe 150W per cable spec is different than the PSU manufacturer cable...2 connected cables supply 300W each...you order the cable separately if you have an older model Corsair PSU

Dude please read and see the image. The cable supplied probably has a sense pin disabled and hence 450 watts. You need the 600 watts cable from Corsair to run 600 watts from a 1000 watts PSU.

Cable in the box is rated for 450 watts.

Is the main point of this to hide cables?
IIRC is not so much to hide as to redirect. A lot of midsized cases put 3.5" drives bays in the cable shroud area, and space can get tight. But a two chamber case can run them into second chamber, where there's a lot more room. (Or there are cases like the O11 that just put the whole PSU in the second chamber.)

Filtered positive pressure case. Sure I could probably do the filter part myself on some cases.. but is rather the case be designed for said filters to begin with.

Size, tbh if they had a larger version of the ft02 id probably buy it lol.

I personally love the 90° layout change. It's not a requirement tho.

I don't want LEDs to be honest. Or if they are I need a master switch to turn em off..

I got a CTE C700 for my 4090. Definitely on the large side, but still somewhat (IMO anyway) reasonable. It has enough width capacity to hold the 4090 and the connectors with enough space to spare so you can wait to bend them until the specified distance. All of the fan slots (and I mean all of them) are filtered and there's a lot of them. Kind of shitty QC problems with mine, but its not that expensive either. About $150, sometimes less sometimes more. Which is reasonable for this size these days. I quite like it.

JonnyGuru works for Corsair. He was one of the first to suggest that the melting 12VHPWR connector problem was a user issue.

JonnyGuru works for Corsair. He was one of the first to suggest that the melting 12VHPWR connector problem was a user issue.
I am aware. However, the factory is shipping PSU with a fat sticker saying that it only supports 450 Watts or less. He isn’t wrong about PSU being able to handle the wattage but supplied cable doesn’t support 600 Watts which is really stupid move from Corsair. Buying a 25$ cable on top of the PSU is worse than spending 30$ extra to get the 1200 Watts which comes with the right cable. To each their own. I just got a Fasgear cable and slapped it on my EVGA 1300 Watts from 2015 instead.

ATX 3.0 PSU's have only recently been in the market and there's already a new ATX 3.1 spec...

ATX 3.0 PSU's have only recently been in the market and there's already a new ATX 3.1 spec...
I bet almost nobody could say which version of the ATX power standard their power supply is using without looking it up. Most on the market today are at least up to 2.3, but there are also 2.31, 2.32, 2.4, 2.5, 2.51, 2.52, and 2.53. Except for major version changes most of these iterations are low visibility to the user.

Looking up the changes in 3.1, all it does is update the standard to include requirements for the revised 12V-2x6 connector and sense pins. It's still backward compatible with 3.0.

Back