Corsair Keyboards?

Okay I'm writing all this stuff down for Stan, the Gaming Peripherals PM:

1) Black anodized version
2) Ten-Keyless version
3) White LED backlit version of both keyboards
4) Cherry Brown, Blue, and Black versions
5) Normal wrist-rest for all keyboards
6) No Media Key version
7) One that looks less "ugly" (somebody just emailed me "ur keyboards are wack and ugly wtf" - valid criticism that I shall take to heart, of course).

Okay so seriously, here's the run-down.

I have the K60/M60, and have no drivers installed on my desktop PC for either of them. The media keys on the keyboard work fine, and the mouse DPI adjustment and all works fine. At work I'm using the K90/M90 (typing this on it) and I have an early version of the software. It does exactly what it's supposed to do - it lets you define the macro keys very simply. Here's a screenshot I just took:

The mouse software I don't have yet, that's just the keyboard version, and early, but you can see how basic and easy it is.

As for future products, I can't talk about anything we haven't announced. But the PM likes a lot of your ideas already. I think everyone likes the black anodized version idea, but we're going to have to look at it and see how it looks. To be honest, the silver one looks fantastic in person. It's very impressive.

And the mouse is very comfortable, and not too big or heavy. I'd say by my estimate it weighs around what a G9 weighs.

I'd love to see a Belkin / Razer N52TE / Logitech G13 type device made with Cherry MX reds though. That would be an epic device in my book and an instant buy if the ergonomics didn't suck.

This. I just love WASD movements being covered by just a thumb, it would be fantastic to be able to purchase something higher quality.

I like the silver aluminum. Hides dust/fingerprints better than black. If Corsair makes a backlit tenkeyless, it'll be a massive hit.

Get on it, Stan!! :D

I love the silver and will more than likely pick up the K60 when it released. However, a tenkeyless version would be great.
I think most keyboards should have for customization options the following at least: tenkeyless vs full and backlit vs nonbacklit.

I prefer nonbacklit and tenkeyless but those seem to be the most varying of opinions (excluding cherry types).

I'm starting to feel old at this point. I still love my MS natural keyboard elite that I've had for like 12 years, and I had to spend more then a few minutes reading on what the hell 10keyless is among other things.

Boards look decent, but even after a g15 I still go back to old faithful, perhaps due to muscle memory but I can't play worth beans on normal layout keyboards. Hopefully I'm not the only weird one out there..

Dont dump the number pad completely. I love my keypad cause I use it for a calculator all the time.

Im gonna have to jump on the "its fugly" bandwagon though. Im a big Corsair fanboy but would have a hard time buying that.

Ill also say a Cherry Brown would be my a nice option for gamers as well. I like the Blues on my Black Widow but the point of actuation is just a little bit too high. Not a big deal and never really caused me a problem but if I could see how it could be if you need to press the same key a few times pretty fast.

Not crazy about all the macros. I game heavily and almost never use them. I bought a G510 thinking I would have all kinds of uses for those 18 macros but I wound up only using 4 of them for the menus in Borderlands. I wouldnt mind a single row of them like the Black Widow just in case I want to use them but too many take up too much space on my keyboard drawer.

The M90 looks kinda freaky. Not sure Id want to lay my hand on that thing. the M60 looks pretty sharp though. Id be up for trying one of those.

Wow, incredibly happy I didn't make any keyboard purchases lately. I would have ordered one of these instantly if it were like the K60 with LED's. If it were tenkeyless, even better. Did not foresee this stuff, I honestly think you guys just made Logitech and Razer poop themselves. I am going to have to try out the M60, that thing looks sweet. I've been eyeballing your headsets in the past, how do the HS1's compare to these? The fact that there was a rash of sale prices on them recently makes more sense to me now...
:edit: I am happy with the choice of red switches. Would have been just as happy with browns.

The black anodized version is a great idea.

The mini wrist rest looks pretty useless to me. I like a full sized keyboard. I also really like the media keys. A black anodized K60 with a full sized wrist rest would probably be the tipping point to get me to buy one of these.

2) Ten-Keyless version
6) No Media Key version
7) One that looks less "ugly" (somebody just emailed me "ur keyboards are wack and ugly wtf" - valid criticism that I shall take to heart, of course).

I presume you're also exploring the geekhack forums for suggestions on improvements, right?

Nonetheless, bolded features= instant purchase to tack on my current count of 4 mechanical keyboards (Das Ultimate, Black Widow Ultimate, Rapoo v7, & my current favourite, the Noppoo Choco Mini).
Wrist rest isn't necessary for me, I would prefer you guys offer it as an option for like $10-15. I think Point 7 is covered by Point 1&6. I find the Silver and the media keys to be somewhat tacky looking (note: my opinion).

I too would insta-buy a Black anodized tenkeyless with white backlighting and no media keys. I might even get two and replace both my DAS and my Leopold.

I too would insta-buy a Black anodized tenkeyless with white backlighting and no media keys. I might even get two and replace both my DAS and my Leopold.

Why would you not want media keys? The volume knob especially is very, very useful.

^
Neither are necessities. Do I really need a Play/Pause/Stop button? Not really. EDIT: What I mean to say is, media buttons aren't that useful to me and don't really bode well in terms of looks. I would preferably have resources allocated to improve other areas of the keyboard. I'm happy with just a FN key and use the F keys for media control.

With regards to the volume, it too looks like an eyesore on the keyboard.I leave Windows sound @ 100%. I adjust headphone volume with the knob on my amp. and I adjust my speakers' volume with a remote. I'd prefer the Corsair logo to go where the current media keys are if possible.

Last edited:
@ Readbeard

How are the letters done on the keyboard?

Laser?
Printed?

I ask this since gaming board shouldn't have lettering that would rub off.
I suggest doubleshot lettering on future models. If the letters are printed, I would have to pass until you guys get engraved or doubleshot keys, PBT or POM material.

The letters are laser etched. I have highly acidic skin, my fingers eat the living hell out of keyboards ;)

Regardless. I been searching for a new keyboard, debating on the Steelseries (but having never used their products, I was hesitant). Corsair...I've used, I like and I approve of their tech support and RMA process.

I'll be in for a keyboard as soon as they get to the etailers. I'm both an MMO and FPS player, so I'm kinda torn which one to get. I highly like the idea of that wrist rest, as my current Razer keyboard sports one and I've grown used to the support it gives my hands. But at the same time I like the MMO keypad on the left side. I never could figure out why nobody did that previously.

Thumbs up Corsair for going off the normal road. The mouse split style isn't something I care for, but I like the looks of it.

The letters are laser etched. I have highly acidic skin, my fingers eat the living hell out of keyboards ;)
The mouse split style isn't something I care for, but I like the looks of it.

OK thanks. My fingers eat through printed caps also. A week of BC2 and they become otaku keys.
The mouse looks like a sup'd up G700.

I don't know so many people love tenkeyless. I gotta have my number pad. I also use the enter key on my number pad very often. This looks like a great board. If I get another mechanical (hopefully for work), I will keep one of these in mind.

I prefer tenkeyless because I can keep the board and mouse closer together. I have a wireless keypad for the few times I might need it.

I prefer a tenkeyless more, I have little to no use on the numpad.

Saves space, keyboard and mouse is closer to the center, less distance for my right hand to travel to the keyboard.

2) Ten-Keyless version
6) No Media Key version

Okay so seriously, here's the run-down.

I have the K60/M60, and have no drivers installed on my desktop PC for either of them. The media keys on the keyboard work fine, and the mouse DPI adjustment and all works fine. At work I'm using the K90/M90 (typing this on it) and I have an early version of the software. It does exactly what it's supposed to do - it lets you define the macro keys very simply. Here's a screenshot I just took:

The mouse software I don't have yet, that's just the keyboard version, and early, but you can see how basic and easy it is.

As for future products, I can't talk about anything we haven't announced. But the PM likes a lot of your ideas already. I think everyone likes the black anodized version idea, but we're going to have to look at it and see how it looks. To be honest, the silver one looks fantastic in person. It's very impressive.

And the mouse is very comfortable, and not too big or heavy. I'd say by my estimate it weighs around what a G9 weighs.

As long as you guys make it black anodized version, I will buy it for sure. Now it depends on k60 or k90. I rather have the k60 but with lights too. I play after I get home from work in the dark and lights on my keyboard are essential. Thanks for listening :)

Media keys kill it for me. I hate them and probably always will. (Partly due to the added software needed for the keys.) That and I'm not sure about Cherry MX Reds as I really prefer the blues over any other key type I've used in recent years. Though I don't actually use my keyboard to play games. I have and it didn't bother me, especially with headphones on. I use a Belkin / Razer N52 Tournament Edition for all my gaming keyboarding needs.

I'd love to see a Belkin / Razer N52TE / Logitech G13 type device made with Cherry MX reds though. That would be an epic device in my book and an instant buy if the ergonomics didn't suck.

+1
i think corsair has made an awesome keyboard for gamers. but the wasd layout on a keyboard is still awkward and uncomfortable, and only doable because gamers have gotten used to bending their elbows and wrists that way. i want a gaming keyboard that is laid out for a single left hand, not both hands. and please put an escape key on it. every game uses that. i would pay $80 for one easily.

Another +1 for k60 (or similar) with backlighting and full wrist rest. Would buy immediately.

Redbeard - Thanks for bringing our suggestions to the team. I've a few more that I think may be beneficial

For the Keyboards

1. Option to sell the wrist-wrests separately and work interchangeably. The FPS-style rest is relatively unique and better than most out there. In addition, would it be possible to alter the style of the K90s wrist-rest to have the "height"/design of the K60? Finally, if you put a gelpack on the wrist-rest deck it would probably be the first gaming keyboard to offer a wrist rest I'd actually use (I have a 3rd party keyboard-length gel pad that the base of my palm and wrist rest upon as I type - it has saved me from tons of RSI). Nomatter how expensive gaming keyboards seem to be, they always seem to include a relatively basic, not particular ergonomic wrist-rest. Changing this will probably make a big splash in the market. Better shaped plastic is great, but for someone who's had multiple injuries to one's wrists and hands, serious padding like gel is the way to go. Please make sure the surface is breathable too!

2. Please make the red "shaped" FPS-keys available for separate purchase and installation for those who own the K90 instead. Perhaps offering them in different coloring, like silver and blue as well? For what its worth, I'd also pay for an after-market full-keyboard kit of anodized aluminum keycaps.

3. Multi-color LED backlighting. Logitech G510 and G19 lead the pack on this technology it appears, offering user-defined colors. Would this be possible for Corsair? I'd like to see this tech on both the K60 and K90. The K60 seems especially in need of backlighting.

4. Media Keys - just saying good job on that "style" of media key. It looks very similar to my G19's setup, which is the best setup I've seen - scroll "barrel", large mute, and the 4 keys you need. Bravo on picking a type that doesn't require additional software!

5. Macro Keys + Software: They seem very similar to the Logitech G-series, which is a good thing. I just ask that there be enough onboard memory to save macros for use without driver install. As a Linux user, I ask that as much as possible, please create a little SDK or API to allow users on Mac/Linux to interface with the hardware.

6. Display. I know this is a big addition, but with the Logi G-series SDK...would it be possible to build some sort of display that would be compliant with programs written to interact with the G15/13/19/510 etc... displays? I know some don't find it to be useful, but its the one feature that I continually find adds to my usage in a meaningful way, and that no other company seems to offer in terms of peripherals. I figure if anyone could do it, its Corsair. Lots of other companies have offered macro keys, (single color) backlighting, and even mechanical switches - but standing on the shoulders of Logitech's de-facto standard would really make Corsair stand out. I have some interesting ideas to take this a step further (Such as a USB3-powered "stand alone" mini display, smaller and cheaper than MIMO monitors and the like, and compliant with Logitech's API etc..) but for the time being I'd suffice it to say it would just be nice to have a display like on the G510/G13 (except perhaps supporting color?).

In any case, looks like a great start so far!
...I'll get to the mice later :eek:

6. Display. I know this is a big addition, but with the Logi G-series SDK...would it be possible to build some sort of display that would be compliant with programs written to interact with the G15/13/19/510 etc... displays? I know some don't find it to be useful, but its the one feature that I continually find adds to my usage in a meaningful way, and that no other company seems to offer in terms of peripherals. I figure if anyone could do it, its Corsair. Lots of other companies have offered macro keys, (single color) backlighting, and even mechanical switches - but standing on the shoulders of Logitech's de-facto standard would really make Corsair stand out. I have some interesting ideas to take this a step further (Such as a USB3-powered "stand alone" mini display, smaller and cheaper than MIMO monitors and the like, and compliant with Logitech's API etc..) but for the time being I'd suffice it to say it would just be nice to have a display like on the G510/G13 (except perhaps supporting color?).
I was actually given a barely used G15 by someone when they replaced it with successor (G19?). I hate the screen and do not even bother to use it. I have used both boards. Instead I am using the G110 and Illuminated keyboards by Logitech (and was using a BlackWidow until everyone complained about the noise). I find the screens redundant, ugly, and a distraction and basically there for useless nerd points. I beg Corsair to forgo adding this to any revisions, at least for a while. There are features on the G15/G510/G19 that I like, but the screens are so wasteful and stupid I can not bear to use them.

I'm really interested in the keyboard and mouse, I think I'll go with the K90 and M60. I like the backlight and additional buttons but I'm not crazy about them on the mouse.

Also on the topic of keyboards with LCD's. I had my Logitech G15 (original version) since it came out. Rarely do I find the information displayed helpful during gaming. It's really a pain to look down at the screen while gaming and the only feature I actually use is the clock to tell time instead of looking at my room wall.

Having owned a number of different mechanical keyboards I like a few things about what I see from the K60 and K90, but I do have some concerns.

K60

Plate mounted keyboards tend to feel more solid, and what could be more solid than an actual Aluminum plate...
N-key Rollover, 20+ keys is always nice.
I like the Interchangeable keys included, although the rubberized print will probably wear off quickly.
I like the wrist wrest, though not entirely sure how durable it will be.

Concerns:
Anodized aluminum and prolonged skin contact don't tend to fare well...Just look at any "WELL USED" macbook pro. The black anodized definitely would fight this pretty well at the very least hide the tarnish well.
Type of keycap used can really make or break a keyboard. POM and PBT tend to hold up the best, but they can't have as many neat things done to them such as doubleshot keys. This board looks like it has ABS keys.

K90

I love the look of the G-Keys, They compliment the board by contrasting nicely (odd wording but yes...I like it)

Concerns:
G-keys are great and all, but I still don't know anyone that will use that many...
The keys are backlit which is neat, but If the keycaps aren't built for longevity (look to Deck Keyboards) the caps will eventually wear through and you will have a board with nothing but clear keys. I did this to 2 G15's, and I don't really even have especially acidic fingers.

Overall, I like what I see with the K60 and K90, if you can do the backlit keys right and get things rolling for a good price I see a lot of potential in these boards.

I would rather see the cost from the wrist rest that I wouldn't use and the extra key caps that I also wouldn't use go towards some nice cherry corp style pbt lasered keycaps.

They look alright I guess. Not gonna switch from my tenkeyless Filco. Never had 1 problem with it in 2 years. Cherry red's seem way to light for a gaming keyboard imo. I do like the backlighting and the macro keys.

They look alright I guess. Not gonna switch from my tenkeyless Filco. Never had 1 problem with it in 2 years. Cherry red's seem way to light for a gaming keyboard imo. I do like the backlighting and the macro keys.

Its the same spring found in browns and blues, its just a linear switch.

Redbeard Is there a solid date in Oct. on releasing these and the mice?

A person has to try Reds before they can comment on them, any switch for that matter. Hearsay doesn't carry any weight.
They are light for some, but for gaming I could literally float the WASD keys. since the feedback is so soft like little air pockets. Everything is effortless and silent with Reds.

Love the K60 but a wrist wrest that spans the length of the keyboard would be preferable. The gaming wrist wrest looks comfortable but I feel it would be awkward to type with a wrest for only one hand. I'll be looking at these if I ever one day decide to part with my Filco... which is unlikely.

Dear Corsair, Please dont go tenkeyless. Some of us need our number pad :eek:

Like there aren't 80 bajillion standard keyboards around already. More options for tenkeyless boards can only be a good thing.

Very interesting how there are red switch options being made from Corsair and Leopold available all of a sudden.

I'm very curious to see how well received they are. They're more sensitive than the browns, and those can almost actuate by sneezing on them. ;)

Back