Corsair Keyboards?

Very interesting how there are red switch options being made from Corsair and Leopold available all of a sudden.

I'm very curious to see how well received they are. They're more sensitive than the browns, and those can almost actuate by sneezing on them. ;)

actually, the springs take the same amount of force to depress, the tactile bump of the browns just makes them seem heavier.

black aluminum body with white backlighting would be pretty sexy.

I don't understand why they went with blue backlights this time. Their cases/fans typically come with white LEDs.

I really want to pick this up as soon as it comes out, but if they revise with a white version soon after :mad:

im really digging the k60 keyboard. the fps keys looks a little gimmicky, but the included standard keys and keypuller make that a non-issue. im not a big fan of the way it looks and i would probably remove the wrist rest, but the build quality looks top notch and its a nice option for a full size red board that is substantially cheaper than its biggest competitor (filco.) the only cheaper option with reds i have found would be a kbc poker or a noppo choc mini, both of which are compact boards. i have never been disappointed with a corsair product. will definitely be considering this for my next board (which WILL have reds =P.)

I would certainly be getting the K60 *IF* it came with a full sized wrist rest. As is it, I feel its pretty useless, because typing with one hand on a rest and the other way down on your desk is going to feel very strange. And I can't imagine too many people using their keyboards for FPS gaming and nothing else

The non-MMO keyboard lacks a backlight. That figures. My search for a backlit mech keyboard continues.

The non-MMO keyboard lacks a backlight. That figures. My search for a backlit mech keyboard continues.

Try DECK Keyboards, might have what you need.

Also +1 on a backlit(preferably white or user selectable color), black brushed aluminum model with a full length version of that wrist rest. It doesn't matter to me if you go tenkeyless as long as you keep those nice media and volume keys.

Dear Corsair, Please dont go tenkeyless. Some of us need our number pad :eek:

Ditching the numpad is not an option for me either. Detachable/switchable tenkey (like the MSFT X6) is what I'd prefer. And if you copy the X6's volume and backlight knobs, that would be fine too.

Sad: The top row keys, ESC thru Pause/Break, and the Insert thru Page Down keys are dome-switch keys. The same for the G keys on the K90.

Sad: The top row keys, ESC thru Pause/Break, and the Insert thru Page Down keys are dome-switch keys. The same for the G keys on the K90.
Disappointing, but if they produce a tenkeyless, white backlit version, I'm still all in.

I'm not interested in half assed mechanical. Go all mechanical or don't bother, it is practically false advertising. Also, go backlit on both boards with adjustable colors.

It's available here: http://www.facebook.com/Corsair/posts/197821146953522

"The top row keys, ESC thru Pause/Break, and the Insert thru Page Down keys are dome-switch keys. The same for the G keys on the K90."

Laughable. Glad I bought a WASD instead.

People pay upwards to $360 for Torpe and Mech boards. No need for cost cutting measures in this segment of devices.
If it's $119-139, price it as such and watch the cash roll in anyway. The larger retailers will sell it below MSRP anyway.

Last edited:
No please say thats not true. Ugh. I'm ready for a mech keyboard and this was going to be it. That really disappoints me. I was already torn over the missing backlighting on the K60 and now this?

I don't really see how that is even a significant cost savings. Are the switches $1 each or something?

I knew it was too good to be true at that price... There's a few games I play that actually use the F-keys a lot (Eve-Online comes to mind) so I would definitely notice the dome switches. This is a deal breaker for me. I would pay the extra $40 in parts for full-mechanical. This is not the type of product where you want to be cutting corners.

Last edited:
Laughable. Glad I bought a WASD instead.

People pay upwards to $360 for Torpe and Mech boards. No need for cost cutting measures in this segment of devices.
If it's $119-139, price it as such and watch the cash roll in anyway. The larger retailers will sell it below MSRP anyway.

I would very much like to understand what was the reasoning behind this decision (maybe Readbeard will chime in on the subject). It is kind of a letdown. Oh well, I'll have to keep using my Cherry MX Red Leopold. :D

I'm content with my all rubber dome logitech G510 that was a free gift, so I didn't drop the heavy cash on it. :)

I would very much like to understand what was the reasoning behind this decision (maybe Readbeard will chime in on the subject). It is kind of a letdown. Oh well, I'll have to keep using my Cherry MX Red Leopold. :D

Reducing cost to broaden the market. Most people aren't willing to spend that much on a keyboard, so they focused on adding mechanical switches to the most important keys.

If you look around this forum, you'd swear the 800d is their best selling case--I know I bought one. In reality, it's most definitely not. The market for a $150+ keyboard is very small just like a $300 (awesome) case.

Reducing cost to broaden the market. Most people aren't willing to spend that much on a keyboard, so they focused on adding mechanical switches to the most important keys.

I understand that part, but for the market they are targeting, would a few dollars more made such a difference? Even the Razer BlackWidow is an "all mechanical" keyboard (unless I'm mistaken). I guess their market research told them that it was indeed the case.

I still find it disappointing.

The mainstream market doesn't care about mechanical keyboards to begin with.
Look at the specs, they are geared towards "gamers", the people who have knowledge about this stuff.

The gamer segment is willing to pay the premium for a quality mech baord. They understand why the cost is higher. $10 in switches is not going to affect sales.
Any knowledgeable mech owner views this as a subpar. Maybe a black plastic shell and standard keys would have helped reduce cost.
The blingy aluminum shell, red switches, one armed wrist rest and the gimmicky red rubber keys should have been nixed. The savings could have gone to a full set of brown or black switches.
A basic mech board made properly would have been taken more seriously and priced sub $100. That's what happens when large companies try to make things "gamer" specific.

Keep it simple.

Last edited:
The mainstream market doesn't care about mechanical keyboards to begin with.
Look at the specs, they are geared towards "gamers", the people who have knowledge about this stuff.

The gamer segment is willing to pay the premium for a quality mech baord. They understand why the cost is higher. $10 in switches is not going to affect sales.
Any knowledgeable mech owner views this as a subpar. Maybe a black plastic shell and standard keys would have helped reduce cost.
The blingy aluminum shell, red switches, one armed wrist rest and the gimmicky red rubber keys should have been nixed. The savings could have gone to a full set of brown or black switches.
A basic mech board made properly would have been taken more seriously and priced sub $100. That's what happens when large companies try to make things "gamer" specific.

Keep it simple.

Agreed. Except with the part about the Cherry MX Red switches. I think it is a reasonable choice, and a way for them to differentiate their product. But the aluminum case, the one arm wrist-rest, and the rubber keys is unnecessary window dressing, especially since they have cheapened out by using rubber dome keys.

Last edited:
Not trolling here - just genuinely curious. Why would F keys and G keys need to be mechanical?

Seriously - from my point of view it's just adding cost for no benefit at all.

The benefit of the mechanical keys on the regular keyboard is that they respond well to typing and double taps, especially the linear switches. Every other key you press once, don't double tap, and don't use during standard typing.

Not trolling here - just genuinely curious. Why would F keys and G keys need to be mechanical?

The benefit of the mechanical keys on the regular keyboard is that they respond well to typing and double taps, especially the linear switches. Every other key you press once, don't double tap, and don't use during standard typing.

And they last 10x longer.

I guess it's a question of preference. Most people I know decided to get a mechanical keyboard for the quality and feel of the switches. Now with the K60 and K90, it's like you ALMOST get the complete package, only to be let down buy not having an all mechanical switches. I guess we are keyboard snobs. ;)

Hybrid mechanical? I hope that's on the packaging.
A mech board is a mech board, a dome board is a dome board, and a hybrid is a marketing gimmick.

It's not about level of use, it's about the customer receiving a "complete", full switched mech board.

Have Stan build a tenkeyless with white backlighting and I'll forget about the non-mechanical keys. ;)

I'll make sure your opinion is heard by the product manager.

OK

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be an hard ass here. I wanted to buy the Corsair board because I love red switches.
But I needed a board now and went with WASD. To hear the news of domes on the Corsair boards were shocking.
People get mech boards to "get away" from dome keys. To still have them present down grades the overall quality.

Mech boards are basic designs. The extra bells and whistles dramatically increase the price into the $150-200 range.
That's why we see the well known mech distributors use basic shells and materials. Sacrificing quality to add more bling is backwards.

There will always be the customer that wants lights everywhere in various colors, bling, 50 macros, rainbow keys etc.
But they are in the wrong product segment, the Logitech's are that way ------>.
Since Razer can do a complete mech board, I know Corsair can do produce one and better!

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be an hard ass here. I wanted to buy the Corsair board because I love red switches.
But I needed a board now and went with WASD. To hear the news of domes on the Corsair boards were shocking.
People get mech boards to "get away" from dome keys. To still have them present down grades the overall quality.

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't necessarily agree with it. To me it's just not that important. But then again, I imagine we'll find out how people feel about it when the products launch. If people don't buy them or like them, then we'll find out pretty quickly.

Stan's the gaming peripherals PM, so I'll be sure to let him know your thoughts.

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't necessarily agree with it. To me it's just not that important. But then again, I imagine we'll find out how people feel about it when the products launch. If people don't buy them or like them, then we'll find out pretty quickly.

Stan's the gaming peripherals PM, so I'll be sure to let him know your thoughts.

It will probably still sell well. Keyboard fanatics are a difficult bunch (go have a look at the Geehack thread if you need proof of this: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22062-Corsair-gets-into-keyboards-(MX-Red)). Since I'm one of them, I'll wait for the Tenkeyless "all mechanical Cherry MX Red" version. ;)

The hybrid key debate is one thing... I could live with it if I knew before hand that I was buying a hybrid. I've gamed on my beer-soaked G15 for years so the K90 would still be an upgrade. :D But looking at the online specifications you'd think it was all Cherry MX Reds. I know I'd be pissed if I bought one expecting a fully mechanical keyboard but later to find out some of the keys were dome-switches.

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-ga...rformance-mmo-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

The hybrid key debate is one thing... I could live with it if I knew before hand that I was buying a hybrid. I've gamed on my beer-soaked G15 for years so the K90 would still be an upgrade. :D But looking at the online specifications you'd think it was all Cherry MX Reds. I know I'd be pissed if I bought one expecting a fully mechanical keyboard but later to find out some of the keys were dome-switches.

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-ga...rformance-mmo-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

I doubt they are deliberately trying to mislead people, but you're right, it should be specified.

I'll make sure your opinion is heard by the product manager.

I have to agree. I expect all the keys to have the same universal feel to them. It's about quality first and foremost. Hitting F or G keys and feeling that squishy, shitty membrane key feel would bug the shit out of me when on the same board I get the feel of quality, or at least better mechanical keys. Even amongst the same switch types I've noticed there are some variance from board maker to another as the quality of the key caps can and does vary. The Black Widow for example felt like crap compared to my Das Keyboard.

I think what we really need is a quality keyboard on par with the Filco and Das (readily available in North America) which are available in every switch type. (Perhaps with even better quality key caps than those two offer.) I want Cherry MX blues, blacks, reds, browns, clears, etc. with as small a foot print (unlike the huge ass Deck Keyboards) as possible without altering the layout of the keyboard, and no extra BS. No USB ports, no headphone jacks, no macro keys, no extra keys. I want a quality matte bezel with the option for standard 104 key layouts, tenkeyless, and both available with your choice of switch with or without back-lighting and ninja'ed keys or blank keys if you desire. Hell even make it in both Windows and Apple Macintosh compatible versions.

I think with this product line everyone or almost everyone could be satisfied. Some other builders can do the whole macro thing with media keys. I love the idea of a metal casing as well, though I don't know that it's needed. Perhaps desirable, but not necessarily needed. Just so long as the thing isn't too busy with a bunch of crap (even lines added for aesthetic reasons) that aren't needed.

Last edited:
Back