Corsair Keyboards?

We are all most certainly keyboard snobs, but thats a good thing. To me its more of a mental letdown than a huge glaring flaw. I was excited about cherry reds and to hear that not all the keys are as such, its a disappointment, but not absolutely a deal breaker.

The bigger disappointment for me is that the K60 does not have back-lighting. I'm on the fence as to if I give a crap about macro keys or not, and the wrist-wrest is intriguing. I've never had a keyboard with such, but I do work in the dark at times and would really like to have it if only for a few rare occasions.

I was really looking forward to these keyboards 'till finding out about the rubber domes, I'd rather the bells and whistles nixed before adding rubber domes to "save" a few bucks. =/

How much some of you would expect to pay for a tenkeyless, backlit, full mechanical board with all the same options of the K60/K90?
I want to see if people understand the cost of manufacturing this type of board.

Hopefully the K60/90 isn't made by iOne like the BlackWidow series.

How much some of you would expect to pay for a tenkeyless, backlit, full mechanical board with all the same options of the K60/K90?
I want to see if people understand the cost of manufacturing this type of board.

Hopefully the K60/90 isn't made by iOne like the BlackWidow series.
Hell, my Filco tenkeyless cost $140. I think I'd find a way to survive the hardship of a $110-ish backlit tenkeyless Corsair mechanical board that had rubber dome F and Insert thru Pg Down keys. ;)

I was really looking forward to these keyboards 'till finding out about the rubber domes, I'd rather the bells and whistles nixed before adding rubber domes to "save" a few bucks. =/

Same here. I don't want macro keys, media keys or any of that stuff. Just give me a basic Filco like keyboard with great quality all around and I'll be set. I'm rather disappointed in Corsair myself. They make a lot of no-nonsense products that I really enjoy like the Obsidian series cases, their power supplies, and even their headphones. Everything reeks of quality. Then I hear about the keyboards and I immediately thought the keyboards looked more like something you'd see from Thermaltake or one of the other makers of all things belonging in a theoretical Chinese made transforming star ship. To top it all off, we don't even get all the keys in mechanical form. So instead we get F-keys that when pressed will constantly remind you of how Corsair cut corners on the design.

I'm fine with the dome keys. Its on keys I rarely use and if I had to choose between that and a plastic casing - I would choose the keys every time.
I want mech keys for gaming use and I rarely use those other keys.
And I do not like the look or feel of plastic keyboards so I am perfectly happy with the compromise.

I'll be buying a K60 as soon as they're for sale.

Anything Corsair makes is higher priced, but we know it's quality.
want to watercool but dont' want to have 6 hoses and deciding between the ever changing landscape of swiftech/black ice... get a corsair all in one.
actually going to SLI and overclock? can't go wrong with corsair PS
oh, you want to OC memory too? vengence or dominator? even got the cool add on fan
New SSDs? hey the force series is putting up good numbers
Oh we gotta put all this somewhere? obsidian case is nice or the cheaper/smaller ones too!

need a new keyboard? get a mechanical one from corsair... that is the EL CHEAPO hybrid rubberdome/mechanical kind.

Corsair really failed here, you can tell they didn't do any research, "LOLZ who uses F1-F12 keys?" "LOLZ we can has more money by putting in rubber domes, LOOK it's made out of aluminum!!!"

I said in a different forum, at least razer with their blackwidow did research and knows that ppl uses the F1-F12 keys so they actually physically moved the whole section so the gamer can press it better (and of course they're all mech keys).

I mean is it so hard to troll a mech forum and ask? so what do you guys really want?
or rather
"so... do you guys want a cool keyboard but we'll use cheap rubber domes for the function keys?"
i bet there'll be tons of "NO!"

Anything Corsair makes is higher priced, but we know it's quality.
want to watercool but dont' want to have 6 hoses and deciding between the ever changing landscape of swiftech/black ice... get a corsair all in one.
actually going to SLI and overclock? can't go wrong with corsair PS
oh, you want to OC memory too? vengence or dominator? even got the cool add on fan
New SSDs? hey the force series is putting up good numbers
Oh we gotta put all this somewhere? obsidian case is nice or the cheaper/smaller ones too!

need a new keyboard? get a mechanical one from corsair... that is the EL CHEAPO hybrid rubberdome/mechanical kind.

Corsair really failed here, you can tell they didn't do any research, "LOLZ who uses F1-F12 keys?" "LOLZ we can has more money by putting in rubber domes, LOOK it's made out of aluminum!!!"

I said in a different forum, at least razer with their blackwidow did research and knows that ppl uses the F1-F12 keys so they actually physically moved the whole section so the gamer can press it better (and of course they're all mech keys).

I mean is it so hard to troll a mech forum and ask? so what do you guys really want?
or rather
"so... do you guys want a cool keyboard but we'll use cheap rubber domes for the function keys?"
i bet there'll be tons of "NO!"

My thoughts almost exactly.

I'm fine with the dome keys. Its on keys I rarely use and if I had to choose between that and a plastic casing - I would choose the keys every time.
I want mech keys for gaming use and I rarely use those other keys.
And I do not like the look or feel of plastic keyboards so I am perfectly happy with the compromise.

I'll be buying a K60 as soon as they're for sale.

When paying with your money, you don't have to compromise.
There are many other options out there that are better as the K series stands right now.
An $80 Ducky TKL is a better board.

I think the Corsair brand is shinning to bright here, people over overlooking the details.
I just bought a Force GT 10mins. ago and AX850 last week. I like Corsair too, but this is what it is.

When you paying with your money, you don't have to compromise.
There are many other options out there that are better as the K series stands right now.

I think the Corsair brand is shinning to bright here, people over overlooking the details.

Yeah, when a WASD keyboard is $120 or the Rosewill is $100 or the Ducky 1008 through tank guys is $80 I don't see the need to compromise there are a lot of choices now.

Yeah, when a WASD keyboard is $120 or the Rosewill is $100 or the Ducky 1008 through tank guys is $80 I don't see the need to compromise there are a lot of choices now.

My KBC Poker was $95 with red switches and PBT caps.
That was the imported price. The orginal price is around $60.
KBC is also releasing a backlight, red switch version of the Poker with dedicated F1-9 and arrow keys this time around.

KBC
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?21989-KBC-75-Backlit-HHKB-Killer

WtZOM.jpg

Looky there, mechanical F switches, backlit at that.
p54YP.jpg

Definitely considering the K60 keyboard. I'm not overly picky (been using the same el cheapo Dell keyboard for 5+ years now :eek:) and if it's comparable, or better than, the Razer Blackwidow and Steelseries 6gv2 I'll have no complaints.

Redbeard, is there any plans for a basic 3-button mouse? When it comes to 'gaming mice' everything seems to have at least 5 buttons and I've tried numerous over the years and have never liked a single one. Would looooove a simple, solid, 3-button mouse since everyone else is making requests. :D (currently using a Thermaltake Azurues, which I like).

I remember what these keyboards remind me of now!

does anyone remember those Seagate Momentus hybird drives? :D

That KBC keyboard is cool, except for how they shrunk the shift key and jammed the arrow keys in there. I just want ten-keyless where that area is just chopped off, no other dumb changes.
As for the fact that G and F keys don't have mechanical keys. I get it, seems like cost cutting, but it seems sort of practical and makes sense. I obviously haven't felt the keyboards, but I wonder how they difference in feel between these keys would feel to me. Awkward? Weird? Not an issue at all? Most likely not going to matter at all.

My KBC Poker was $95 with red switches and PBT caps.
That was the imported price. The orginal price is around $60.
KBC is also releasing a backlight, red switch version of the Poker with dedicated F1-9 and arrow keys this time around.

KBC

I prefer a full sized keyboard to be honest. In fact my next keyboard is going to be a WASD and then thats going to be it for a while. I'll keep my filco as a backup, I'll never sell this thing.

The new version looks like a major improvement. I couldn't deal with the odd layout and modifiers of the old Poker. Not being able to quick save in a game or missing a lot of hotbuttons. I really like having an ANSI board that I never have to look at, I don't want to adjust to anything else.

Okay, so if I'm hearing everyone right, the next keyboard should be:

10-keyless, black anodized, white LED backlight on all the keys, 100% cherry MX reds, with a full length wrist-rest as an option.

That seems to sum it up, right? :D

I understand the keyboard won't be for everyone.

Aesthetically I love it though (except for the wrist rest). I'm not a fan of backlighting, and while I am looking forward to have mechanical keys again for the first time in 15 years the fact that a few of the keys is just not a big deal for me.

The overall build quality looks top-notch and I love the aluminum. I'll probably remove the red wasd keys but luckily it ships with black replacements.

Different strokes for different folks.

I will admit though that Corsair should have made the fact plainly known much sooner than they did. That was a bit misleading. I'm still buying it though. I've looked at FILCO and WASD and this one just grabs my eye.

10-keyless, black anodized, white LED backlight on all the keys, 100% cherry MX reds, with a full length wrist-rest as an option.

We're not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

werenotworthy.jpg

But, I'll take 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Does not necessarily have to be anodized if it can shave off costs significantly enough. Besides, anodizing won't work so well for people with oily fingers over time. But other than that, wouldn't mind adding that to my stable of keyboards. I also suggest Corsair have certain options for accessories.
such as a collection of different quality key caps for customization. This particular version would have no G-keys, right?

Last edited:

Yep. You're ready to go. Not many keyboards have all of that.
One suggestion. The keycaps should be done in the "Dye Sublimation" process. Deck and the Ducky Shine uses this so the letters will never rub off.

From Deck FAQ:
12. Will the letters on the keycaps wear off eventually?

NEVER! Characters can't chip off the key caps or wear down because we use a sublimated negative printing process which drives the ink into the plastic keycaps at 525°F. This means permanent printing from the inside out, not just on the top, and gives the letters a permanent place inside the plastic.

Benefits of dye sublimation:
http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html#post6018011

We don't want our boards to look like this after a year of use:

r4SSD.jpg

Any backlit board I come across, I compare it to them.
To get the same quality, a price increase is necessary and understandable. Retailers will sell it below MSRP with rebates anyway.

With all the changes and dyed caps, I'll pay up to $160, or maybe even $180 if it's sweet enough.
Most likely the asking price will be under that, so most people would be happy with the board being sub $150.
A few sales, coupons and rebates will drop the price below $120.

Last edited:

i'll do full disclosure here, i personally would never buy it, hell i wouldn't buy or be paid to use 99% of the mech keyboards out there, i'm an ergo guy, but i put my $ where my mouth is, i'm currently finishing up my second mech build

i've put in what i believe are great ergo points into that keyboard, because i've researched, and i've tested (this is my second build), you know... i know the market, which is something corsair clearly did not do with this hybrid rubberdome/mech mistake.

you know the wristrest/contoured keycaps were great, i really was just gonna buy the keyboard just to get my hands on the contoured keycaps, i still might, unless they're being sold separately later on, but i wouldn't ever buy it for the keyboard... not because i'm an ergo guy, but because of the badly implementated hybrid rubberdome/mech.

I mean corair seemed like they went halfsies here... like the marketing and design guys were too cautious and thought... OH NO we MUST have a full sized keyboard... even though all the highlighted starcraft RTS guys use tkl (tenkeyless), even though almost every FPS player uses WASD, which of course means numpad is never used... but WAIT we must include it, and we'll skimp on the f1-f12 keys instead, who uses that? lol.

or go really premium and offer a full sized keyboard with a detachable numpad that can go on the left or right side of the keyboard... yea only two? makers offer this? and one isn't even a mech keyboard.

i mean it's got a nice aluminum body, but then corsair decided to be all el cheapo and save like 10bucks worth of bulk cherries?

i mean did it actually save money? or were there even more manufacturing costs to build a mech board and then have rubberdomes/ plus a membrane and then connect it to the pcb with like 6 different connections just like a kinesis (which i have as well) cuz the kinesis isn't even justified in having ganky rubber domes other than the fact that the board already costs near 300bucks so maybe they really were trying to save $ there and they wanted to fit more keys on that row so everything is all nice and tidy... there's no reason here for corsair, since it basically replicates a regular full sized keyboard.

i missed it, were the macro keys on the mmo board all rubber dome as well? well that's a whole nother bag of beans cuz that would be super ghetto.

Wait... IF the K90 isn't what I want it to be (low quality keycaps etc), where should I go to get a good cherry MX red keyboard? Hopefully no importing, either...

wow that's just... disgusting to have a whole 18 switch bank of rubber dome macro keys... ugh so g13... well i'll be waiting to see who does the first rubberdome replacement then.

ebay is full of choc minis and kbc pokers, both available in mx reds usually for under $100. also amazon usually has filco linear rs, although sometimes they do go out of stock.

And a CoolerMaster rep over at Overclock says MSRP is $79.99.

He hasn't clarified if the red switch version will be available here or not yet, but should be available soonish with blue switches and blacks/browns after.

The reds can be imported. I'm sure someone at GeekHack will find a few when available.
That's how I go my Poker Reds with PBT caps.

The reds can be imported. I'm sure someone at GeekHack will find a few when available.
That's how I go my Poker Reds with PBT caps.

Oh the Geekhack crazies already ordered and have them in hand. There's an ordering guide up showing what to do step by step to get one with red switches from PCHome.

I'm just ok with waiting a bit. If the reds end up confirmed for US release I'll buy one that way. If not I'll probably import. Or if Corsair beats them to the punch somehow I'll go that route. In the meantime I'm fine with my Leopold. A little waiting can't hurt.

Oh the Geekhack crazies already ordered and have them in hand. There's an ordering guide up showing what to do step by step to get one with red switches from PCHome.

I'm just ok with waiting a bit. If the reds end up confirmed for US release I'll buy one that way. If not I'll probably import. Or if Corsair beats them to the punch somehow I'll go that route. In the meantime I'm fine with my Leopold. A little waiting can't hurt.

I wanted to try WASD this time around with browns. After this I'm gong Torpe. Reds were by far the best switch I used, which are the closest to Torpe switches you can get on a budget.

I love mine too, just wish the keycaps had a bit brighter font, or that replacement keys with the same form factor were available in a range of colors.

Mine is the revised edition, slightly brighter font on the keycaps.It's not so bad here but if it's lighter than it currently is, I'd probably chalk that up as a con as well.
Where'd you grab your replacement keys btw?

EDIT:
Dang: Might grab that CM keyboard if they bring the red switches over. Anyone know a link to an importer in English and has express shipping options?

Last edited:
I like the 1300 and 1100 headsets, mainly for the 3.5mm plugs.

The M50 (lower version of the two mice) interests me more than the M60.

Keyboards, again, I like the lower version of the two more than the beefier version.

Mine is the revised edition, slightly brighter font on the keycaps.It's not so bad here but if it's lighter than it currently is, I'd probably chalk that up as a con as well.
Where'd you grab your replacement keys btw?

EDIT:
Dang: Might grab that CM keyboard if they bring the red switches over. Anyone know a link to an importer in English and has express shipping options?

Right now I'm using a set of the WASD keycaps for everything but the modifier keys (tab, enter, lock keys, etc) and it feels fine, but the keys look a little silly on it because they are definitely a lot taller than the stock keys. And let me tell you, POM > ABS the feel of the stock POM keys is entirely different than the ABS keys so much slicker and more "durable" feeling.
I'm actually considering picking up one of the white choc mini's to have interchangeable keys and just to have one.

Back