Corsair: 650D

I think the 800D is the best. Lots of room and cables management.

Years ago, I'd have said the same thing; I had one of the biggest towers on the market in the late 90's (AOpen HX-08).

Now I know the drawbacks as well --huge, heavy, difficult to transport to LAN parties, etc. I also like the SATA dock of the 650D. I don't need more than 2-3 hard drives; I have a server keeping track of my important data. As cool as the hotswap feature of the 800D is, I also don't need it; again, I'm covered by my server. The 800D is also significantly higher in price.

There are pros and cons to both the 800D, 600T, and 650D. However, I think the 600T/650D are reasonably large cases as it is, and I'm satisfied with their cable management and the amount of room they offer. I'm also more comfortable with the lesser impact to my overal hardware budget.

Am I doing it right?

6057873592_3711fecd43_o.jpg

Corsair vengeance ram, H100 & Asus GTX580 Matrix :)

And unless your an audiophile, Why the need for a soundcard? Onboard audio is just as good.

And unless your an audiophile, Why the need for a soundcard? Onboard audio is just as good.

I find the dedicated audio is better for 3D-positional surround sound when gaming.

However, I bought the least expensive card with a hardware X-Fi chip; I don't need higher than that. I don't see a huge advantage to spending more.

I probably wouldn't buy an OCZ SSD, but I've had great luck with G.Skill RAM (that appears to be RipJaws if I'm looking at it correctly). I've bought a lot of G.Skill and haven't had a module fail yet. Corsair is great too, but I got a great deal on my RipJaws (and the red looks kind of cool contrasted with my black mainboard).

As for the H100, it's cool and all, but it has to be set to high to gain significant traction over air coolers --and at that speed, the noise goes above standard air coolers. I have the money to buy it if I wanted, but I can't justify it.

DSCF0257.jpg

DSCF0259.jpg

DSCF0263.jpg

Change the power LED to red :) I did that to mine and looks sweet. Its very easy to do too.

Ya those are ripclaw g.skills.

If you get the time, you should show a picture of how the power LED is set up. I'm sure I can figure it out, but it might be helpful to people who are newer to doing this.

Basically all you do is take off the front panel thing with the cables attached, remove 2 screws, and use a small screwdriver to lift up the tabs on the sides front and back, and gently pull up the casing of it to expose the cables and so forth (The USB cables, FireWire are easily removed by lifting them out of their small grooves).

Use a small phillips head screw driver and take off the lens, The LEDS for PWR and HDD are underneath the lens. Look on the front of the panel, You will see the 2 LEDS and small space under the hole to insert a small flathead screw driver. Gently put the screwdriver in there and push the small clip that holds the LED in the holder and pull gently on the LED wire and it should pop out.

The LEDS are 5mm in size and the wire lenth from panel to mobo is about 30-32inches in lenth.

BUT, The down side is that you have to get LEDS that dont have that resistor inside the sleeving, Because it makes the cable very hard to bend and you need to bend the cable around inside the way that the original LEDS were, But I managed to get it to work. Its just best if you make 2 cables same length, solder the 2 LEDS to the cable and put on the ends to the mobo, That way its no resistance to breaking the wire from bending.

Hope this helps some :)

You will love it! BTW you able to do the push/pull in the 650d ??

Not with those fans, No. I had to get 120x20s because of the orientation of my mobos 8pin connector was right at the edge of the board and 1 fan wouldnt go over the connector.

I know, I had the other asus card like this, the gtx580.

I love that the ^^ case has a floppy drive :)

I work on older PCs for some clients. I still need to make the occasional boot floppy for Ghost, or BIOS updates. Sad, I know.

Asrock's Z68 boards are the last upper-end boards to still have a floppy port. I didn't buy the board I did because of that, but it didn't hurt. I couldn't find any USB internal floppy drives.

This will be my final build to have it. Next time around, I'm sure I won't need it any more. This is how I found out that Silverstone's aluminum 5.25"<->3.5" faceplates are a perfect match to the 650D.

P.S. I ordered the custom top fan filter for the 650D. Will report on it when it arrives.

I just received my 650D from Newegg but the window panel was dented and window cracked. Assume it's from UPS or someone dropping a box on it. Torn between getting an RMA with Newegg (and waiting in limbo before starting my new build), or just building it and buying the solid replacement panel.

I just received my 650D from Newegg but the window panel was dented and window cracked. Assume it's from UPS or someone dropping a box on it. Torn between getting an RMA with Newegg (and waiting in limbo before starting my new build), or just building it and buying the solid replacement panel.

Contact corsair CS, I am sure they will send you a replacement without having to send yours back to them.

Everything about the case is awesome but one thing. The side window has a warp effect through it which blurs the view of the bottom of the motherboard and PSU. Do I need to return it to newegg or deal with corsair? Any help will be greatly apprecaited. Thanks in advance.

I disaagree onboard sound sucks and is nowhere as good as a dedicated card

So many TY-140s in that case. Very awesome.

I have the Silver Arrow as well and it is fantastic. I wonder if there's any difference between putting the fans like you have compared to mine which are in the front and center slots of the cooler.

So many TY-140s in that case. Very awesome.

I have the Silver Arrow as well and it is fantastic. I wonder if there's any difference between putting the fans like you have compared to mine which are in the front and center slots of the cooler.

I did it because my RAM is too tall for it to fit properly. :/

How about an external floppy drive or zip drive ;)

I carry one in my laptop bag. But I like my desktop system clean, without extra junk hanging off it.

Eventually if I need the drive bay, I'll pull it. In the meantime, I made sure it matches the case (I'm picky like that), and it's all good.

Has anyone had a grounding error with the 650D? I have two of these cases and both of them have a hole where a standoff normally would be.

IMG_0001.jpg

I contacted Corsair (Redbeard and Kelvin) about the first one and was told it's a defect. They sent a second case which had the same hole in the same place. When I asked RB and Kelvin about it, they told me it really was not a defect. They said most mobos had 8 standoffs, whereas mine has 9, and that hole shouldn't cause any problems. So, I replaced the PSU (HX1000) and mobo (eVGA P55 SLI) with new versions. I still have the grounding error and no one seems to know why. When I tried the mobo outside the case, everything worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a grounding error with the 650D? I have two of these cases and both of them have a hole where a standoff normally would be.

IMG_0001.jpg

I contacted Corsair (Redbeard and Kelvin) about the first one and was told it's a defect. They sent a second case which had the same hole in the same place. When I asked RB and Kelvin about it, they told me it really was not a defect. They said most mobos had 8 standoffs, whereas mine has 9, and that hole shouldn't cause any problems. So, I replaced the PSU (HX1000) and mobo (eVGA P55 SLI) with new versions. I still have the grounding error and no one seems to know why. When I tried the mobo outside the case, everything worked perfectly.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Do you require a 9th standoff that is not available on the 650D? I don't see how a hole drilled could cause a short with the motherboard.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Do you require a 9th standoff that is not available on the 650D? I don't see how a hole drilled could cause a short with the motherboard.
My mobo has 9 holes for screws to mount it in the case. The case has 8 standoffs. That hole in the case is exactly where the 9th hole in my mobo is. Since there's no standoff in that spot, the hole in my mobo remains open. I don't know any better way to explain it. I think I'm just going to have to get a different case.

Last edited:
Back