Corsair: 650D

Sweet...... You get shipping fixed yet? if its 30 bucks to the US, Canadas gonna be extremely expensive... Y'all know, we really don't use dogsleds eh?

So I hooked up all the fans to the built-in fan controller, and the top fan doesn't spin. It jerks a little bit right on bootup, but then doesn't spin. Is this expected/normal?

/It does spin when I connect it to the mobo, so it's not that.

I asked the same question here in this thread. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1626499.

Short Version: Flip the top fan to intake for now, then replace it with 2x140mm Thermalright X-Silents. Keep the front fan the way it is.

And from playing with my Corsair 650D today, the top fan/fans look relatively easy to replace, as you don't need to remove bits to get at them. The front fan requires removal of the hard drive trays.

Thanks man. Do you know any fans that light up that would fit in the case perfectly? :cool:

Sweet...... You get shipping fixed yet? if its 30 bucks to the US, Canadas gonna be extremely expensive... Y'all know, we really don't use dogsleds eh?

Shipping isn't fixed and both a PM and an email to Redbeard have been ignored, for a company that is supposed to have legendary customer service I can't say I'm too impressed.

Thanks man. Do you know any fans that light up that would fit in the case perfectly? :cool:

No idea. This is my first desktop ever.

DO keep in mind that the front fan has to be 200mm*20mm, or you'll have to move the hard drive bays over (and at least on mine, run smackdab into the video cards).

No idea. This is my first desktop ever.

DO keep in mind that the front fan has to be 200mm*20mm, or you'll have to move the hard drive bays over (and at least on mine, run smackdab into the video cards).

With alittle work, You can mount a 180mm fan in front as well.

With alittle work, You can mount a 180mm fan in front as well.

Maybe. The important thing is the "*20mm" part, or else you start really having to move things around.

Though after messing with exactly which fans go where, I'm forced to say that the loudest part of my system is now my Blu-Ray burner.

Front: Stock 200mm intake (Has a weird harmonic, and is by far the loudest fan in the system, so I'll probably replace it soon).
Top: 2x 140 mm Thermalright X-Silent intake
Back: 120 mm fan that came with my Cooler Master Hyper 212 (How does this relate to the stock fans? It seems to be a bit quieter, but it's not huge compared to the Blu-Ray player, so if the thermal performance is bad, I'll switch it back.) outtake

Also, does someone have a custom side panel that we can put 4*120mm or 1 *200 mm fan in the door? Because I'll be honest, I don't want people seeing my CPU cooler(garish white fans) or hideous attempts at cabling, and better thermals are always good. .

Last edited:
I use a xigmatek red led 200mm fan for the front, But had to get some long screws to mount it as the xigs 200mm fans seem to be made only for exhaust, But nothing 4 long screws or long rubber screws doesnt solve. Cant hear it at all either.

I use a 120mm PWN Phobya red led fan for rear exhaust. Love that fan, As it has a on/off button to turn the LED on or off.

So I hooked up all the fans to the built-in fan controller, and the top fan doesn't spin. It jerks a little bit right on bootup, but then doesn't spin. Is this expected/normal?

/It does spin when I connect it to the mobo, so it's not that.

I haven't done it yet, but it sounds like your fan is being picky about its startup voltage, and if that were just slightly higher through the controller, it would spin.

Is the top fan spinning if the fan controller is on high? If not, I'd probably mail Corsair; maybe you got a picky fan and they can help you out.

I haven't done it yet, but it sounds like your fan is being picky about its startup voltage, and if that were just slightly higher through the controller, it would spin.

Is the top fan spinning if the fan controller is on high? If not, I'd probably mail Corsair; maybe you got a picky fan and they can help you out.

So it ended up that it was unbalanced, so it was catching on the backing . I just had to tap it and it started right up. Of course, that fan has since been replaced.

I've temp put a 140mm Sharkoon Silver Eagle 140mm in the front of mine as the stock front fan is too noisy. I have a CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200mm coming tomorrow, 167cfm and 19l1dBA \m/

I love the sharkoon rubber "screws", they're not evens crews, you push them through the holes and then pull the fan through them until it wedges in. Screwless fan installation FTW :)

I'll use the same pins on the coolermaster.

pc_650d_sidewires.jpg

pc_650d_sideopening.jpg

pc_650d_rear.jpg

And the best bit of all? The SATA dock! Makes my weekly backup a breeze!

pc_650d_SATAdock.jpg

Redbeard, I really now need your assistance. I had sent you an email just over 1 month ago now requesting a 2nd Linear Fan Controller for my 650D as the first one had a faulty switch (ie: moving from low, med, high was difficult). Recently I noticed that one of the fans wouldn't spin up on low anymore, but I didn't think much of it. Today, after completing the installation of my brand new H100, I plugged everything back in and noticed that my GPU fan wasn't running (connected to the fan controller). So I tried plugging in the molex from the fan controller to another molex from my PSU, but this produced no change, and none of the fans connected to the controller will now spin up. So it appears as though the fan controller is now officially dead. I sent you and Kelvin an email about this, so I would really appreciate if you could send the replacement ASAP. Thank you.

Note, I have no comments on the H100's capabilities yet as I now have to connect all my fans to my mobo to properly test out my system. I do have 2 complaints about the H100 so far though, the molex cable is far too short to be able to really do proper cable management, and the rear mounting plate is pretty flimsy; not a fan of the bolts as some slide too easily and others won't budge, so it's a pain to actually line it up with the back of the mobo.

If people have a spare 5.25 bay, Why not just GET a better fan controller like a Lamptron FC5-V2, That has 4 controllers, but will power more than 4 and you can change the LED color to your liking.

I know the controller that comes with the case is a convenience, but doesnt seem like it is. I dont even use it and I have the fixed controller just in a box not used :)

Lamptron FC5-V2
img_1477.jpg

Lamptron FC9
fc9-slide.jpg

The 1 I use is this 1:

Lamptron FC8
208275_200953589936702_146202352078493_571676_5411035_n.jpg

Last edited:
Note, I have no comments on the H100's capabilities yet as I now have to connect all my fans to my mobo to properly test out my system. I do have 2 complaints about the H100 so far though, the molex cable is far too short to be able to really do proper cable management, and the rear mounting plate is pretty flimsy; not a fan of the bolts as some slide too easily and others won't budge, so it's a pain to actually line it up with the back of the mobo.

I really didnt like the way the H100 installed.

Unlike on my Cool-It Vantage, Where it has notches for the different types of intel sockets (You pull it up, slide it to the socket you need and release), Then use the correct bracket and it aligns up very easily. But with the H100, You have to push the little rubber thing up on the bracket, hold down the pump to the cpu and make sure its centered with the bracket and just hope for the best. What if it slides while putting on the screws, You have to redo it. but with the vantage, the pump w/ the sliding thing is set for the right bracket/socket.

Ya, agreed, it wasn't the best installation method.
The other thing I found is that 4 of the posts, assuming the ones for LGA2011 wouldn't mount into the back plates screws. They were too thick.

BTW, fantomau, reason I don't use a 3rd party fan controller (of which I already have a Scythe Kaze Master from a previous build), is because I don't want the additional clutter in the case and prefer the clean look that the built in controller already offers. I know the 3rd party is far more flexible, but the one Corsair provides is sufficient for my needs, when it was working at least.

I've now had a chance to use the H100 for a while. Did some stress testing with Prime95 for 12 hrs yesterday and it was able to keep my 2600k at under 60C, which is pretty solid. I'm running the H100 with 2x Gentle Typhoons (AP-15) and have the setting on low on the H100, but I'm not really sure if it actually can adjust the speeds on these fans or only on the original Corsairs. Can anyone comment on this?

Anyway, the H100 is a pretty solid cooler, just has some room for improvement from an installation standpoint.

Last edited:
Redbeard, can you let us know if the corsair link is on the water yet? I'm really wanting to try the link with lights out!

Ya, agreed, it wasn't the best installation method.
The other thing I found is that 4 of the posts, assuming the ones for LGA2011 wouldn't mount into the back plates screws. They were too thick.

BTW, fantomau, reason I don't use a 3rd party fan controller (of which I already have a Scythe Kaze Master from a previous build), is because I don't want the additional clutter in the case and prefer the clean look that the built in controller already offers. I know the 3rd party is far more flexible, but the one Corsair provides is sufficient for my needs, when it was working at least.

Well as for the clutter, I use a different controller and I have no clutter at all. All fan cables are behind the mobo tray and cable for the controller is hidden as well, Basically the corsair has a 4pin molex for power with fan ports and my controller has a 4pin molex for power with fan ports. :)

Its really no difference between the wires of the corsair and the lamptron :)

Corsair Link is undergoing some revisions in beta testing - since it's small, it'll probably not be shipped on the water. We'll just fly units over. We're doing some lengthy hardware tests to make sure this thing works before it's shipped. My guess is late September at this point, unless there's some critical stop-ship stuff we find during the beta test.

500R should start shipping this month which means it'll be in stores next month.

Mesh side panel for 650D, I should get an update tomorrow and will let you know the date, but the design is approved so we're just moving forward with the tooling.

Corsair Link is undergoing some revisions in beta testing - since it's small, it'll probably not be shipped on the water. We'll just fly units over. We're doing some lengthy hardware tests to make sure this thing works before it's shipped. My guess is late September at this point, unless there's some critical stop-ship stuff we find during the beta test.
Thanks for the update.

I'd imagine that something like the link, with software and all, could really be a glitch ridden nightmare if not done correctly. I'd much rather wait and end up with a solid product in the end.

also if you need another beta tester i'd be more than willing :)

Speaking of Lamptron, has anyone mounted an FC5v2 in their 650D?

Does the 650D hold it in properly with its toolless drive bays? I'm thinking of asking for this as a birthday present.

FYI to everyone else here --I have found the black aluminum Silverstone 5.25" to 3.5" adapters work beautifully (if you need a memory card reader or other device) and match the case perfectly.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._35_Drive_Bay_Adapter_Bracket_SST-FP55-B.html

The same cannot be said of Lian Li's adapters, which do not work, and even if they did, show a gap around the 3.5" drive (Silverstone's tolerances are much better).

Speaking of Lamptron, has anyone mounted an FC5v2 in their 650D?

Does the 650D hold it in properly with its toolless drive bays? I'm thinking of asking for this as a birthday present.

I had a FC5v2 in my 650D and no it doesnt mount unless you use screws since the controllers sides arent very long. I use the FC8 now and love it.

It still goes in ok though.

I wish I hadn't built a rig so recently, I wanna spend my money on this dream come true case...

I had a FC5v2 in my 650D and no it doesnt mount unless you use screws since the controllers sides arent very long. I use the FC8 now and love it.

It still goes in ok though.

Are there even places in the case to use screws?

I ordered the fan controller, but now I'm hoping I don't have to be creative in mounting it. Also ordered a Cooler Master Megaflow Red 200mm for the top of the case.

Are there even places in the case to use screws?

I ordered the fan controller, but now I'm hoping I don't have to be creative in mounting it. Also ordered a Cooler Master Megaflow Red 200mm for the top of the case.

Yes there are places beside the tool-less latches for screws, As long as the head of the screw is kinda small. and holes on the other side as well. I dont even have mine screwed in actually.

I have a cm megaflow red fan for sale if you need another 1.

Joe you still out there man?

Joe VIP tickets are still available for you and your gf and/or family, four games at Braves stadium behind homeplate. They are all nightgames starting at 7pm August 15 16 17 18, and the tickets include a clubhouse visit with the players if you wish and they serve you food free, lobster thrumodore, roasted lamb in brown sauce its increadible with the players after the games, the VIP tickets are $150 each, for you, free man. Just show your driver’s license at the “Will Call” booth and the VIP tickets are yours, have a great time… No strings attached just have fun!

Last edited:
Sorry for asking, but can someone measure how big the box is for the 650D? I need to ship a computer in that case at the end of the week and I'd like to ship it double-boxed.

The only problem is I forgot to measure the box before leaving for work and I need to pick the outer box up on the way home from work tonight. :mad: As big as that box is I'll probably have to go with a U-Haul wardrobe outer box. :p

23 (L) x 13 (W) x 26 (H)

Unfortunately FedEx doesn't have any boxes in stock large enough (24x24x24 is the max), so now it looks like I'm going to have to go to U-Haul or something. Those measurements saved me a wasted trip or two, thank you!

I am looking at installing some round feet for the Corsair case.

I was looking at Lian Li's offering

http://coolpc.com/shared/viewProduc...s-amazon.com/images/I/31IMzIfH3IL._SL400_.jpg

I know you can remove the long feet on the 650D but was wondering whether something like this would fit???

Thanks

The ones by MNPCTech look BETTER!!!

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=product_info&cPath=130_133&products_id=23682

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=product_info&cPath=130_133&products_id=23684

And Bill has made some in different colors too - Red, Blue, Purple, Green or Gold with Hi-Gloss Clear over House of Kolor Automotive Kandy Paint

Thanks for that.
The holes on those do look quite big and I want to avoid modding the case for them to fit. Any ideas?

Back