Corsair: 650D

I use mine in the original stacked format, no complaints from me.

Luder, man I saw your pics, dont remember that at all, did you make changes? Do you have much airflow coming out the rear of your cages? Do you have all slots filled? I gotta have all the airflow I can squeeze out cuz all the fans are turned way down.

I don't think I ever posted pics to be honest.
I have two drives (SSD and HDD), both in the bottom drive cage.
Only one video card and no other components in there, but my CPU and GPU are overclocked.

Hey guys I plan to sleeve my computer and fans I was wondering if I should upgrade and swap out the stock corsair fans? I keep hearing about how awful the stock fans in terms of humming noises and what not? I know the case comes with 2 x 200mm fans and 1 x 120mm fans are all fans 20mm thick? also If I did switch out the case fans I was thinking of swapping the 120mm fan for a noiseblocker but not quite sure what fans to swap out the 200mm fans with as I don't see many choices.

The 200mm ones are 20mm thick. However, they is no thickness constraint with the top 200mm.

I am still using the drive bays in their stock config. I have 3 or 4 drives in operation depending on things, and the cable routing was tough to figure out with the cages. I don't have an insane video card, so I don't think the empty space in front of the intake would make much of a difference.

I am happy with my temps not even using an intake fan at the moment. I am purely looking for noise reduction at this point. ABOUT TO PULL THE TRIGGER ON A TY-140!!!

If you're going to move the drive cage to where the PSU is and only operate with one, then I would suggest the Megaflow, it's a great fan, pushes lots of air and produces very minimal noise since it spins at relatively low speeds (max of 700rpm).

I have one lying around, but because it's the LED version, I've decided to not use it yet.

Theres plenty of space for any size gpus and the cages. I have mine out as I onlky run 2 drives, but 2 gpus so I want mAx air.

Anyone using the Corsair water coolers, H50, H60, H70, two new skus’ where found listed in Sweden, the H80 and the beefier H100 which appears to be a dual radiator top mount 120mmx240mm. I always loved the look of the H70, came close to getting one but just didn’t think it would be quiet enough or have the cooling ability of my Noctua NH-D14. It looks like the H100 might be the first cooling solution from Corsair that can outperform the NH-D14! With all that 240x120surface area I’m gonna try using 2 Noctua 6dB fans for an ultra-quiet water solution. From the photos it looks like it will fit up inside the 650D, but only George can tell us for sure. When will they be available here in the US? Again only George can tell us that. Now I am excited!;) This will be a perfect addition or addiction to my new build X79 mobo, Sandy E LGA2011 CPU, and 8GB Corsair Quad-Channel memory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My only concern is the pump noise, using two 6dB fans on the H100 will be inaudible, but if the pump puts out 20 or 30dB, then it sort of defeats the purpose! Anyway, I hope we get some great information on these new Hydro coolers at Computex in 9days, along with the new Platinum Series PSUs!;)

That's a speed indicator? and a control dial? On the CPU block? You mean you can control the pump speed? With Corsair Link? Oh man, I love it, hold back the drool!

Here’s the link:

http://www.techpowerup.com/146078/Upcoming-Corsair-Hydro-Series-H80-H100-CPU-Coolers-Listed.html

Last edited:
I'm curious - for those who have replaced the 20mm intake with an AP181, how have you mounted this? Any difference in noise? Better temps?

Getting all this great Corsair gear sort of makes you feel like you are in a special group, like the Ferrari Motoring Club or something, but a lot less expensive. I think I got a bad case of Corsair Mania!

Don't know if Mr. Redbeard still checks out this thread but if so I was wondering which Sanyo Denki fan is used in the AX850? 120X25? San Ace 9G or 9S? Amazon and Newegg do not carry them, but I found one at Performance PCs, was going to order two for the H100, thank you, they will look so much better than the Noctuas and can be easily undervolted just like the AX850 in silent mode. Another question, sorry, what is the difference between a ribbed and a ribless fan? Does ribless mean you have to use a grommet that attaches thru the entire width of the fan, like the Corsair 200mm? And ribbed the type where the grommet attaches a short distance just inside the frame? OR is it the opposite? I guess it depends which part of the fan is called the rib, Thanks again.

Last edited:
joejoejoe

If you plan on mounting a TY-140 to the 200mm front mesh, I recommend using a dremel to cut out the mesh. These fans make a loud noise when sucking air through mesh. Pushing air through mesh is no problem. I cut out an opening last night, and there is a significant difference (mount the fan with rubber plugs and mark a cut pattern with a grease pencil then use a 426 reinforced cutting wheel at highest speed..you can practice in the center). I have a total of (6) TY-140's and (2) Akasa Apache Blacks, all running off temperature controlled motherboard headers on a P8Z68-V PRO. (4) PWM splitters were required. Will post photos when I am done building. Still waiting on some parts and trying to figure out the best way to mount drives. I think the plastic trays are cheap and do not work well. Thinking about suspending the mechanical drive with a cradle made from paracord.

Hrm I ordered a CC650DW-1 from Amazon a month or so ago (for $173) when it went up for sale to replace the original CC650DW, but now Amazon isn't selling it themselves anymore, just through a 3rd party. Now they have the CC650DW back in stock and are selling it, but on that page it says "There is a newer model of this item" and it links to the CC650DW-1.

What the heck is going on? Anyone know if you buy it directly from Amazon they will actually send a CC650DW-1?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hrm I ordered a CC650DW-1 from Amazon a month or so ago (for $173) when it went up for sale to replace the original CC650DW, but now Amazon isn't selling it themselves anymore, just through a 3rd party. Now they have the CC650DW back in stock and are selling it, but on that page it says "There is a newer model of this item" and it links to the CC650DW-1.

What the heck is going on? Anyone know if you buy it directly from Amazon they will actually send a CC650DW-1?

I can verify what you see is going on. The 650d needs to probably get its stock cleared out so its going for 186$.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd be interested in the H100 myself, Any idea when it may be released and would it fit ok in the 650D at the top?

I'd be interested in the H100 myself, Any idea when it may be released and would it fit ok in the 650D at the top?

Pretty sure the H100 dimensions and mounting holes would meet the 120X240 radiator standard, and the 650D has 60mm of room from top grill to mobo edge, so yeah 99percent sure its a perfect fit.

Did some research on fans, turns out the Corsair stock 200mm fan is a "Ribbed" fan that's why you need that long grommet to mount it. "Ribless" is the Noctua and megaflow type where the grommet attaches just inside the frame. Thats why Eluder couldn't understand how I mounted my megaflow with a Noctua grommet, my megaflow is ribless and his megaflow is ribbed, its confusing. Also Mr. Redbeard I found all the info on the AX850 fan 9S1212F404 pwm ribbed .19amp 2200rpm 36db max. Had to learn Sanyo-Denki code to figure it out.

Last edited:
MeanBruce, could you post a picture of this "rib" thing you're talking about? I'm not really understanding it.

joejoejoe

If you plan on mounting a TY-140 to the 200mm front mesh, I recommend using a dremel to cut out the mesh. These fans make a loud noise when sucking air through mesh. Pushing air through mesh is no problem. I cut out an opening last night, and there is a significant difference (mount the fan with rubber plugs and mark a cut pattern with a grease pencil then use a 426 reinforced cutting wheel at highest speed..you can practice in the center). I have a total of (6) TY-140's and (2) Akasa Apache Blacks, all running off temperature controlled motherboard headers on a P8Z68-V PRO. (4) PWM splitters were required. Will post photos when I am done building. Still waiting on some parts and trying to figure out the best way to mount drives. I think the plastic trays are cheap and do not work well. Thinking about suspending the mechanical drive with a cradle made from paracord.

Great info, looking forward to seeing your build.

MeanBruce, could you post a picture of this "rib" thing you're talking about? I'm not really understanding it.

I have both types here, my cooler master and noctua are ribless, hey I didn't make up these terms they sound pretty silly, but the Corsair fans are Ribbed its that portion on each corner of a fan where the grommet runs thru, if each corner is closed so you can't see the grommet, its called ribbed, if open and you can see the grommet then its ribless, this is making me hungry;)

I found a distributor for Sanyo Denki, it wasn't easy, they don't sell direct and found the exact fan that goes in the AX850, only the NON-PWM version of it, they are rated .19amp 2200rpm, think I will go with the .13amp 1850rpm so I can undervolt them just a little more than the AX850 fan, and you know how quiet that fan is in silent mode, so this other Sanyo Denki should be even quieter if that’s even possible, and a better constructed fan than the Noctua ULN, and it even comes in Obsidian Black, this H100 is going to be soooo damn amazing!;)

Performance PCs only has one version of this fan, and its rated .39amp even higher than the AX850 fan so that one would be way too hard to undervolt, it would probably just stop spinning before you could lower the speed to a quiet level, so I found another distributor that carries all the SD fans.

George here is the link: you have to let the page load and then click on the 120mm fan graphic, it explains the whole rib thing, with pictures.

http://db.sanyodenki.co.jp/product_db_e/coolingfan/dcfan

Last edited:
Just finished my 650D build.
I think it turned out fairly well overall...

(Thumbnails are click-able)

I may add a bit more lighting to the bottom of the case at some point, but otherwise it's done!
(Not bad for two days work) :D

I really love that Rampage III Extreme Mainboard, gorgeous heatsinks. Also love those custom cables off the AX1200. You made the transition behind the mobo? That looks like the only way you could squeeze the 24pin thru the partially occluded grommet and around the R3E. I have heard by rumor only, the X79 Rampage IV is going to be all black with shades of gray, I think Asus is following EVGAs color scheme again, but that's cool, should look awesome!;) Great Pics!

Can you tell us where you got the custom 24pin and gpu cables, thanks dude!

Last edited:
Mr. Redbeard was right when he said, there are other companies besides Noctua that make extremely high quality fans, and Noctua just has some very nice packaging. But these other companies are not marketing to consumers, so how are we to know about them? As an example, I just got an email back from Performance PCs, a very good custom PC etailer, and they said they would be happy to special order the Sanyo-Denki fans, but delivery time would be 6 weeks and the minimum order is 200units. What am I gonna do with 200 fans?

It always seems so peculiar to me when there exists a huge consumer demand for a product and a supplier already producing them, yet no one will bridge the gap with some intelligent marketing to raise product awareness, maybe Corsair could build that bridge, they are masters at engineering and marketing OEMs to consumers. I vote for a new line of Corsair fans! What say you?

I did find one retailer that would sell these specialty fans in single units, with shipping they will run about $30 each. Two of them should make the new Corsair Hydro H100 hyper-efficient and extremely quiet, and make my 650D build look outrageous!;) Goodbye Noctua, it's been nice!

Last edited:
MeanBruce,
I must admit, the R3E is quite a sexy looking board and fit well for my red and black themed build.

You are correct in that I used black and red colour sleeved extension cables for all of my main power leads. (24pin ATX, 8pin PCI-E, 8pin CPU).
The AX1200 leads are certainly long enough and look ok, but I prefer the sleeved look and didn't want to get into sleeving the whole power supply. The extensions worked nicely for this.

The black extension cables are made by NZXT and can be found at both N-C-I-X and Newegg.
(I'm sure other places carry them as well).

The red cables are made by ModRight (www.modright.com)
I got them from DazMode here in Canada (www.dazmode.com)

Last edited:
Not saying we're doing fans or anything, but when I started 7 years ago there wasn't engineering for power supply qualifications and modification, case design and feature set, cpu cooling, SSDs, and even flash drives.

Now we do all those things, with varying degrees of success.

If we ever decide to do fans, or monitors, or soundcards, or motherboards, or video cards, or whatever, our first requirement is this:
* Make sure we bring something new to the table.

I know it sounds cliche, but the market is too crowded with "me-too" products for us to just slap our name on an off-the-shelf case/psu/etc and expect to get some sales.

The reason people buy Corsair is because it means something - from a quality, support, or engineering standpoint. Hopefully we can keep up the string of success.

Now I am finally getting it, guess I am thickheaded or something, but now George I finally get it!

MeanBruce,
I must admit, the R3E is quite a sexy looking board and fit well for my red and black themed build.

You are correct in that I used black and red colour sleeved extension cables for all of my main power leads. (24pin ATX, 8pin PCI-E, 8pin CPU).
The AX1200 leads are certainly long enough and look ok, but I prefer the sleeved look and didn't want to get into sleeving the whole power supply. The extensions worked nicely for this.

The black extension cables are made by NZXT and can be found at both N-C-I-X and Newegg.

I just put together a set of NZXT cables using a red and black combo. They are going up for sale later today. Looks pretty good in any case.

Just finished my 650D build.
I think it turned out fairly well overall...

I may add a bit more lighting to the bottom of the case at some point, but otherwise it's done!
(Not bad for two days work) :D

Very nice build

What type fans are those on the corsair H70(?)

A red LED strip would look nice at the bottom, Either the logisys, lamptron or NZXT, But the NZXT has a pci bracket and the lamptron doesnt, Less wires.

Last edited:
Build a hovercraft?

Well what do you know about that? Mr. Redbeard does have a sense of humor after all!:) The reason I was asking about the fan mounting type is I am getting ready to order two, maybe four of those Sanyo-Denkis and wondered if you could let me know if the H100 fans will have the ribless mounts or the ribs with sauce?

Here is the link: you have to let the page load and then click on the 120mm fan graphic, it explains the whole rib thing, with pictures.

http://db.sanyodenki.co.jp/product_d...olingfan/dcfan

BTW, will Corsair ever produce those soft grommets that came in the fan kit for retail sale??? If yes, then changing the thermoplastic mold to match the original fan mounting screws that came with the 650D, on the top of the grommet would be a huge improvement in aesthetics! I mean one solid piece of rubber just molded with that Phillips screwhead shape on the top.

Last edited:
Started a thread over in “Motherboards” about the new Intel X79 boards to be announced a week from today at Computex, along with the new Intel Sandy Bridge E LGA2011 CPUs coming out this year. Anyone interested, hop on over, join the discussion, and let us know what you think!;)

Last edited:
Very nice build

What type fans are those on the corsair H70(?)

A red LED strip would look nice at the bottom, Either the logisys, lamptron or NZXT, But the NZXT has a pci bracket and the lamptron doesnt, Less wires.

The 2 fans attached to the H70 and the 2 fixed to the top of the case are Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm R4 : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...1&cm_re=sickleflow_120-_-35-103-091-_-Product

I agree, a red LED would look nice, and is probably my next purchase.
I might also change the black 24pin ATX power extension cable to a mixed red and black one.

Just finished reading this thread (and quite a read it was) and I hope some of you will be able to assuage my worries and answer my questions.

I'm assembling a new PC and the 650D is one of the enclosures I'm most interested in. Here are the specs:

CPU: i7 2600k
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO
RAM: 8 or 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
GPU: Asus Radeon 6950 2GB
Sound card: Asus Xonar DX
Storage: 1x OCZ VTX3 120GB SSD, 1x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
PSU: Corsair AX750

As you can see it's a purely air cooled setup, after reading this thread and a whole number of other threads and reviews I'm starting to doubt the air cooling capacity of this enclosure.

1) Is the 650D a good enclosure for this config?
2) The site I'm ordering from lists 650D only, no mention if it's the fixed version. Are all 650Ds on sale today the new version?
3) If the air cooling is really inadequate, which fans should I put in instead?
4) Any other tips or useful information from 650D owners?

The 2 fans attached to the H70 and the 2 fixed to the top of the case are Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm R4 : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...1&cm_re=sickleflow_120-_-35-103-091-_-Product

I agree, a red LED would look nice, and is probably my next purchase.
I might also change the black 24pin ATX power extension cable to a mixed red and black one.

So they are CM sickles, Whered you get the corsair stickers for the fan ;)

I tried the sickles, But I like the Phobya Nano-G12 120mm fan better, It has a switch on the fan to turn the led on/off and its virtually quiet.

Also the blades are removable, Easier to clean. Looks nice on my coolit vantage.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_69&products_id=28786

I have 2 phobya 140mm fans coming in to replace the top 200mm fan and a 180mm silverstone to replace the front 200mm fan.

You have nothing to worry about, my system is quite similar to yours (check my specs in sig) and it is more than adequately cooled with the stock setup.

Mind you I recently changed things up just to quiet down the system a little, but there was no problem with cooling my overclocked system with all the stock fans in the 650D. It's a really great case that looks awesome and has plenty of space to accommodate most systems.

Just finished reading this thread (and quite a read it was) and I hope some of you will be able to assuage my worries and answer my questions.

I'm assembling a new PC and the 650D is one of the enclosures I'm most interested in. Here are the specs:

CPU: i7 2600k
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO
RAM: 8 or 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
GPU: Asus Radeon 6950 2GB
Sound card: Asus Xonar DX
Storage: 1x OCZ VTX3 120GB SSD, 1x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
PSU: Corsair AX750

As you can see it's a purely air cooled setup, after reading this thread and a whole number of other threads and reviews I'm starting to doubt the air cooling capacity of this enclosure.

1) Is the 650D a good enclosure for this config?
2) The site I'm ordering from lists 650D only, no mention if it's the fixed version. Are all 650Ds on sale today the new version?
3) If the air cooling is really inadequate, which fans should I put in instead?
4) Any other tips or useful information from 650D owners?

so, what does everyone do to keep dust away?

sometimes i really wish i owned an air compressor

So they are CM sickles, Whered you get the corsair stickers for the fan ;)

I tried the sickles, But I like the Phobya Nano-G12 120mm fan better, It has a switch on the fan to turn the led on/off and its virtually quiet.

Also the blades are removable, Easier to clean. Looks nice on my coolit vantage.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_69&products_id=28786

I have 2 phobya 140mm fans coming in to replace the top 200mm fan and a 180mm silverstone to replace the front 200mm fan.

Lol. I wondered when/if somebody was going to ask that...
Anyway, I "borrowed" the sticker from a spare corsair fan I had laying around.

The Sickles are kind of loud at full speed (mind you they move good air), but at 60-70% I find they become much more tolerable and still have decent air flow.
I use both the 650D's fan controller and MOBO BIOS to keep all the fans in-check.

so, what does everyone do to keep dust away?

sometimes i really wish i owned an air compressor

Not much you can do other then regular cleaning.
I clean my PC's about once a month or so.

MeanBruce,

Jamiee, I am definitely going to use that black NZXT sleeved cable for the 24pin when I get my new mobo. Just wondering, can you squeeze the stock AX1200 24-pin through that upper grommet, I mean did you try it that way first, and if so, did you have to pull the cable through and then mount the board or vice versa? It looks like a very tight fit, and a tight turn for the cable itself.

Back