Corsair: 650D

Yeah, we're still sending out the linear fan controllers. I'm sorry if I'm not responding to the emails, but I'm forwarding them all to Kelvin who's sending them out as we get requests. So nobody has been ignored.

Hard to do all that stuff and also do my real job (designing new cases, coolers, and power supplies).

Yeah, we're still sending out the linear fan controllers. I'm sorry if I'm not responding to the emails, but I'm forwarding them all to Kelvin who's sending them out as we get requests. So nobody has been ignored.

Hard to do all that stuff and also do my real job (designing new cases, coolers, and power supplies).

Still waiting on that GPU cooler, Redbeard :p.

Two models. Single and dual video card setups. Corsair will have the cooler market cornered.

Release Date: Octomeber 2011? :D

So George can you tell us anything about those new power supplies you have designed? Platinum? Hybrid? Seasonic Based? Please let the answer be yes, yes, and yes!

Last edited:
Still waiting on that GPU cooler, Redbeard :p.

Two models. Single and dual video card setups. Corsair will have the cooler market cornered.

Release Date: Octomeber 2011? :D

So if I get the Hydro H100 I will be able to connect it to the CPU block and then loop it down to a Corsair GPU Video block and then over to a rear Hydro H80 120mm radiator and then back to the CPU block and then back up to the H100? Are you shittin’ me? Ah Ha, that's the direction it's going in, or two closed loops, either way.

Last edited:
yea looking how my hd6950 spikes to 90 degrees if I don't manually override my fan settings makes me wish I had a gpu solution similiar to what they did on the blog.

So if I get the Hydro H100 I will be able to connect it to the CPU block and then loop it down to a Corsair GPU Video block and then over to a rear Hydro H80 120mm radiator and then back to the CPU block and then back up to the H100? Are you shittin’ me? Ah Ha, that's the direction it's going in, or two closed loops, either way.

That's why we're the dreamers and Redbeard is the designer.

I'm thinking one loop for the CPU and another for the GPU. 120 rad for CPU, 240/360 rad for GPU.

A single loop of this config would be too messy and expensive to produce IMO.
There are so many different cases configurations, a single loop of this kind would fail hard.

Mr. Redbeard, can we make a deal? I won't ask any more dumb questions, but after the official announcements from Taipei next week, can you tell all of us “Absolutely Everything” about the new PSU’s, Hydro-Coolers, 3.0 Flash Voyagers, Force 3 SSDs, and the Corsair Link Device? My mind is not what it use to be:

MeanBrucesMRI.jpg

I just love this pic...it says so much, or so little, depending on your POV.

Last edited:
Mr. Redbeard, can we make a deal? I won't ask any more stupid questions, but after the official announcements next week, can you tell all of us “Absolutely Everything” about the new PSU’s, Hydro-Coolers, 3.0 Flash Voyagers, Force 3 SSDs, and the Corsair Link Device? My mind is not what it use to be:

I'll answer anything I can about the Computex announcements next week. I'll be at Computex actually, so I might not get to it until the week after depending on how the wi-fi in my hotel works and how much time I'll have to do it.

But I'll give it my best shot.

Alright we might get some webcasts from Mr. Redbeard straight from Computex, outrageous! Careful with those Corsair booth babes George, heavy accents, but smokin' hot! What happens in Taipei, stays in Taipei!;)

Last edited:
Got my 650D in yesterday. I am going with a H60 cooler and will have the back fan/radiator as an intake. Now, my question is, with this setup, do i need to upgrade the 200mm fans? With the back fan as an intake, i'm wondering about air flow and making sure my vid card will stay cool as well. Thanks all...this is a very informative thread! :)

Last edited:
Congrats on the case, I am sure you’re lovin’ it, did you purchase the H60 yet, because Corsair is announcing a newer more advanced H80 and H100 early next week, that might give you a better cooling solution.

Got my 650D in yesterday. I am going with a H60 cooler and will have the back fan/radiator as an intake. Now, my question is, with this setup, do i need to upgrade the 200mm fans? With the back fan as an intake, i'm wondering about air flow and making sure my vid card will stay cool as well. Thanks all...this is a very informative thread! :)

Honestly, from the research I have done, 200mm top fans pull so much air that it is always better to use the rear 120mm as an intake even if you are not using a Hydro-Cooler, otherwise the two fans compete for the same airflow, one trying to move it out the top, the other to the rear.

The rear exhaust fan was a great idea when airflow use to be front to back, but with the advent of top exhaust and large 200mm top fan exhaust, most people get better cpu cooling and even better gpu cooling using the rear 120 as an intake, but this only applies to cases with 200mm top exhausts. Only problem is this really hasn't caught on yet so suppliers so far don't offer dust filtration for the rear as an intake, but you could just fabricate a filter yourself. Try it both ways; and see what you think, I got a 5C drop using my rear 120 as intake instead of exhaust!

Honestly, from the research I have done, 200mm top fans pull so much air that it is always better to use the rear 120mm as an intake even if you are not using a Hydro-Cooler, otherwise the two fans compete for the same airflow, one trying to move it out the top, the other to the rear.

The rear exhaust fan was a great idea when airflow use to be front to back, but with the advent of top exhaust and large 200mm top fan exhaust, most people get better cpu cooling and even better gpu cooling using the rear 120 as an intake, but this only applies to cases with 200mm top exhausts. Only problem is this really hasn't caught on yet so suppliers so far don't offer dust filtration for the rear as an intake, but you could just fabricate a filter yourself. Try it both ways; and see what you think, I got a 5C drop using my rear 120 as intake instead of exhaust!

Might reverse my rear fan and see if anything changes regarding my CPU. 5C is massive.

Didn t do athing for mine.

Out of curiousity... how can it affect the gpus?? Its nowhere close to the pci-e slots.

Also, the 2 fans should be competeing.... Theyre both exhausts. Remember, the cpu heatsink will be blowing straight at in most setups, soo the rear as an exhaust is perfect to pick up the heatsink exhaust.

somehow in my antec 1200 when I reversed one of 2 rear fans, I got worse cpu temp than before. and I have a push pull setup that blows air directly into the top 200mm fan.

Out of curiousity... how can it affect the gpus?? Its nowhere close to the pci-e slots.

Also, the 2 fans should be competeing.... Theyre both exhausts. Remember, the cpu heatsink will be blowing straight at in most setups, soo the rear as an exhaust is perfect to pick up the heatsink exhaust.

Didn't notice any difference in mine. Here is a layout of what I am currently using:

2d98gub.jpg

Trying to decide what to replace and what to dremel.

Every rig will give varying results, mine is using a Noctua NH-D14 passive with no fans attached, and the rear as intake blows right on the rear tower(page 36 pics) so air flow is in thru the rear, then up thru the cooler, and out the top. I have no airflow coming into the cooler from the front except the front 200mm a fair distance away. Also I made my top exhaust fan 200mmx 40mm in width and it really does pull air up from the gpu, mine is non- reference video card so the air is expelled into the case, not out the back like a reference card.

That is true if you are running your Cpu cooler fans front to rear, actively. But the few articles I read were talking about, when you are using the new larger 200mm fans to use the rear 120mm as intake and run both your CPU cooler fans not front to rear but bottom to top ie: rotating the cooler 90degrees so the air intake is just above your gpu picking up that warm air and moving it up thru your cooler and out then straight thru the 200mm top exhaust. The Noctua can rotate 90 degrees and I think the silver arrow can also! So airflow thru your cooler is bottom to top, not front to rear.

Bruce..you reallise you turned your passive heatsink into an active one, which will obviously work better.

So now your generalization of the effect of swapping the fan in your setup is completely different then 90% of others setup... basically a unique situation and can't be used by the rest of us..

My best temps are from stock setup sorta but switching the top 200mm with 2 140s... With the one above the cpu as a sucker... and the one over nothing blowing in to feed the hsf intake.. My Noctua nh-u12

And use the edit button..... its there for a reason.

My original setup exhausted out the 200, sucking over a hot gpu... That too increased my temps. All your "reading" is useless compared to my actual doing. I've had my hsf and case fans in alot of situations.

Last edited:
Congrats on the case, I am sure you’re lovin’ it, did you purchase the H60 yet, because Corsair is announcing a newer more advanced H80 and H100 early next week, that might give you a better cooling solution.

No, i haven't bought the cooler yet. I got the case well before the rest of the system because i'm doing a slight mod to the side panel. I'll be on the look out for the new coolers coming out, though. Thanks for the heads up.

I can find bolt on filters, so that's not really an issue outside of not easily removed for cleaning. Thanks again for the info, i'll be sure to post once i get things going...should be in a couple of weeks.

That is true if you are running your Cpu cooler fans front to rear, actively. But the few articles I read were talking about, when you are using the new larger 200mm fans to use the rear 120mm as intake and run both your CPU cooler fans not front to rear but bottom to top ie: rotating the cooler 90degrees so the air intake is just above your gpu picking up that warm air and moving it up thru your cooler and out then straight thru the 200mm top exhaust. The Noctua can rotate 90 degrees and I think the silver arrow can also! So airflow thru your cooler is bottom to top, not front to rear.

Have you tried rotating your Noctua 90degrees and using the rear as an intake?
Bruce..you reallise you turned your passive heatsink into an active one, which will obviously work better.

So now your generalization of the effect of swapping the fan in your setup is completely different then 90% of others setup... basically a unique situation and can't be used by the rest of us..

My best temps are from stock setup sorta but switching the top 200mm with 2 140s... With the one above the cpu as a sucker... and the one over nothing blowing in to feed the hsf intake.. My Noctua nh-u12

And use the edit button..... its there for a reason.

My original setup exhausted out the 200, sucking over a hot gpu... That too increased my temps. All your "reading" is useless compared to my actual doing. I've had my hsf and case fans in alot of situations.

Yes, thats how I ran 6 degrees cooler in my 900. The EXACT setup came out of my 900 into my 650d and gained 6C on the cpu 10C on the gpus. Its pulling hot gpu air into the cpu cooler.

I've had to ditch my overclock because of this.

Yes, thats how I ran 6 degrees cooler in my 900. The EXACT setup came out of my 900 into my 650d and gained 6C on the cpu 10C on the gpus. Its pulling hot gpu air into the cpu cooler.

Sorry about that man, I know Noctua is coming out with a larger cooler this year, maybe to fit the LGA2011. And the specs on the new Corsair Hydro H100 and H80 should be out Monday, either of those might be good solutions, short of a full blown water rig.

The Silver Arrow can indeed be mounted to flow from bottom to top, but while I don't know just how warm the air is on the underside of the GPU, it's probably safe to say that is is warmer than the air in front of the first Silver Arrow fan...where there is nothing at all...

Sorry about that man, I know Noctua is coming out with a larger cooler this year, maybe to fit the LGA2011. And the specs on the new Corsair Hydro H100 and H80 should be out Monday, either of those might be good solutions, short of a full blown water rig.

Interesting. Any timeline on the Noctua cooler?

The Silver Arrow can indeed be mounted to flow from bottom to top, but while I don't know just how warm the air is on the underside of the GPU, it's probably safe to say that is is warmer than the air in front of the first Silver Arrow fan...where there is nothing at all...

Interesting. Any timeline on the Noctua cooler?

Joe, from the email I received from Noctua, they were unsure if the LGA2011 was truly going to have 2011pins or if Intel was just using LGA2011 as some sort of code pertaining to the year in which the new socket would be released. It seems in the past Intel called the LGA1366 socket LGA2008 [the year it was released] as to not disclose the pin number. There have been photos leaked, that suggest 2011 pins, a massive CPU, and this coming Monday when Computex begins we will indeed know if the new Sandy E CPUs will have 2011 contact points. That said, the current NH-D14 Noctua's flagship cooler's base plate and mount would not even come close to covering the surface area of such a large CPU. The dude at Noctua suggested a simple mount adapter would not be adequate and a new cooler would most likely be designed for the Sandy-E LGA2011 socket, with increased heat pipe diameters 6mm to 8mm and possibly a few more millimeters in height, and rumors are it will weigh over 1000g or 1kg. I got my NH-D14 way back the first month they came out in November 2009, and they have not produced a better cooler since, so if time is any indicator, they are overdue to improve the NH-D14, and 99% chance it will be this year when the new Intel socket is released. Most of the time in this hobby all we have to go on is rumor or hearsay, but most of the time, most of it turns out to be correct.

And Joe, those articles I read about CPU cooler airflow bottom to top, and rear 120 as intake, they were using reference video cards that exited the warm gpu air out the rear of the case, not like yours and mine that exits the warm air into the case. No single article can benefit everyone, there are just too many different ways to set up a rig, too many variables, but at least they can help some people, and it's always cool to try something new, something that you never even thought of.

Last edited:

So you got a 6C drop and I got a 5C drop, I wouldn't call that information useless. And not trying to insult, your NH-U12 is a great cooler, but Noctua makes the NH-C14 and the NH-D14 both of which have better cooling characteristics, and I believe the Silver Arrow is even better. Have you thought of just getting into one of those for better results, and possibly getting your overclock back? Tom Logan over at Overclock3D.net used an NH-D14 with an Intel 2600K and got a 5GHz stable overclock, check out the article below:

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/i7_2600k_i5_2500k_2300_1155_sandy_bridge_review/2

Last edited:
But on the flipside, I am going with the Corsair Hydro H100 with the top mount 120x240mm radiator, the first day it is released, that is why I am excited about Mr. Redbeard possibly sending us information here to this thread straight from Computex next week. I have just done the Noctua thang way too long, just need a change, it works excellent but I want to get into something different. I already ordered some ultra quiet fans for it, two of them but the H100 can mount up to four fans, outrageous! Plus the Corsair Hydro coolers show off the motherboard much more, and do I need a new mobo, I must have the slowest CPU, memory and oldest mobo in this thread. So can't wait to get into a Asus X79 Rampage 4, Intel LGA2011 CPU, and 8 or 16GBs Corsair Quad Channel memory in August or September!;) Gotta keep the faith brother!

BTW, can anyone recommend any cool games? I haven't gamed in like 2 years, my last one was the Orange Box, Half Life 2, Portal etc. Is there anything really good out now? Asking because I have another 6870 arriving today, so I am gonna try cross-fire for the first time, do you have to download special software or a plug in for that? Thanks again!

Last edited:
How long did it take you guys to receive the linear fan controller? I gave Kelvin my details on the 19th, should I have received it by now, or do I have much longer to wait?

I think there's a shortage of them now maybe, at least that's what I understood when reading Corsair's forums.

Yeah our initial box of them is gone, so we're just waiting on the second box to get in. Sorry for the delay guys.

So you got a 6C drop and I got a 5C drop, I wouldn't call that information useless. ]

Youre not understanding.

My stock fan setup was just fine in my Antec 900v1. Imediately upon switching cases~3hrs later, my temps were 6C worse in the 650D, not better, and nothing I've done has gotten it back.

This clearly shows my cooler is fine, the case airflow can't compete with the Antec 900.

But on the flipside, I am going with the Corsair Hydro H100 with the top mount 120x240mm radiator, the first day it is released, that is why I am excited about Mr. Redbeard possibly sending us information here to this thread straight from Computex next week. I have just done the Noctua thang way too long, just need a change, it works excellent but I want to get into something different. I already ordered some ultra quiet fans for it, two of them but the H100 can mount up to four fans, outrageous! Plus the Corsair Hydro coolers show off the motherboard much more, and do I need a new mobo, I must have the slowest CPU, memory and oldest mobo in this thread. So can't wait to get into a Asus X79 Rampage 4, Intel LGA2011 CPU, and 8 or 16GBs Corsair Quad Channel memory in August or September!;) Gotta keep the faith brother!

BTW, can anyone recommend any cool games? I haven't gamed in like 2 years, my last one was the Orange Box, Half Life 2, Portal etc. Is there anything really good out now? Asking because I have another 6870 arriving today, so I am gonna try cross-fire for the first time, do you have to download special software or a plug in for that? Thanks again!

I might get around to rotating the cooler sometime. Worth a try. Going to dremel the grates to increase airflow and reduce turbulence a bit. Still can't make up my damn mind on what fans to go with though.

As for games, I'm an RPG guy and a single player shooter guy (don't give a damn for mulitplayer). Dragon Age II was a lot better than the complainers gave credit for and The Witcher 2 should look gorgeous with those cards in Crossfire. There's at least 100 hours of gameplay for you with those two titles.

Youre not understanding.

My stock fan setup was just fine in my Antec 900v1. Imediately upon switching cases~3hrs later, my temps were 6C worse in the 650D, not better, and nothing I've done has gotten it back.

This clearly shows my cooler is fine, the case airflow can't compete with the Antec 900.

The Antec 900 is a giant box of mesh with obnoxious fans. Okay, you got 6 degrees better temps with that case.

There are other ways to get that difference back. If it is truly that big of a deal, go back to the Antec 900. Or build your own custom case. Posting the same complaint over and over isn't going to change anything.

Somebody let me know when the 650D can cook me breakfast. I'll just complain until then.

Haven’t worked out crossfire yet, ugh more cabling ,but the cards look amazing together, even better thru the 650D window, lots of heavy aluminum top heat plates and 8mm pipes. My thanks go to faulkton and vasvas for the amazing cabling work, and inspiring 650D pics and designs, these 6870s are not as fast as your 580s but for someone who just works with Excel and Microsoft Word all day, I am already there man, thanks for the help, one hell of a word processor! It might even run Crysis 2!;)

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Last edited:
I might get around to rotating the cooler sometime. Worth a try. Going to dremel the grates to increase airflow and reduce turbulence a bit. Still can't make up my damn mind on what fans to go with though.

As for games, I'm an RPG guy and a single player shooter guy (don't give a damn for mulitplayer). Dragon Age II was a lot better than the complainers gave credit for and The Witcher 2 should look gorgeous with those cards in Crossfire. There's at least 100 hours of gameplay for you with those two titles.

The Antec 900 is a giant box of mesh with obnoxious fans. Okay, you got 6 degrees better temps with that case.

There are other ways to get that difference back. If it is truly that big of a deal, go back to the Antec 900. Or build your own custom case. Posting the same complaint over and over isn't going to change anything.

Somebody let me know when the 650D can cook me breakfast. I'll just complain until then.

Belgian waffles please.

Belgian waffles please.

Nothing but the best for me, Bruce.

Very clean case. Amazing what getting rid of mechanical hard drives can do.

That SSD sure sticks out though. I can only imagine how fast those Excel spreadsheets open with that baby. What CPU and CPU cooler are you using? Wasn't expecting to see a passive solution there.

Nothing but the best for me, Bruce.

Very clean case. Amazing what getting rid of mechanical hard drives can do.

That SSD sure sticks out though. I can only imagine how fast those Excel spreadsheets open with that baby. What CPU and CPU cooler are you using? Wasn't expecting to see a passive solution there.

You’re absolutely right Joe, my ssd looks ridiculous, I just don’t know where to put it, I have to link it from psu and then up to the hot swap power, with a single cable, how are you doing it?

You’re absolutely right Joe, my ssd looks ridiculous, I just don’t know where to put it, I have to link it from psu and then up to the hot swap power, with a single cable, how are you doing it?

I'd recommend tucking it away in the optical drive bay somewhere. Other than that, if you put the hard drive cage base back, you could hide it underneath that. You wouldn't have a totally wide open intake then, but it'd be minimal.

I'd go with the optical bay. Can't imagine there not being space to put it. Move that, and then try to hideaway the unused fan wires that are poking out from where the hard drives would be. Do that, and it's as sleek as it gets.

What about that CPU and cooler?

I'd recommend tucking it away in the optical drive bay somewhere. Other than that, if you put the hard drive cage base back, you could hide it underneath that. You wouldn't have a totally wide open intake then, but it'd be minimal.

I'd go with the optical bay. Can't imagine there not being space to put it. Move that, and then try to hideaway the unused fan wires that are poking out from where the hard drives would be. Do that, and it's as sleek as it gets.

What about that CPU and cooler?

That’s a great solution Joe, tuck the SSD away in the ODD bay, and sleeve or hide that stupid Cooler Master bare wire, why don’t they sleeve their fan cables? Gonna Crossfire the cards in a few minutes and run some benchmarks, and install the original Half Life 2 from the cityscape to the dunebuggy, thanks for the cool input!

Youre not understanding.

Honestly, I don't even think the effort put forward to even attempt to understand you is worth anyone's time, you should find a very comfortable complaint department where you can vent all your massively destructive self-issues.

Last edited:
Back