Corsair: 650D

Ok, got my linear fan controller today and installed it.
It is a simple install, just a little awkward to get at one of the mounting screws, but nothing difficult.

Now there is a huge difference with this fan controller. The low/med/high speeds are all noticeably different. Low is really quiet, probably quiet enough for me to sleep with the PC on now, which is nice. I think the fans don't spin as fast as they did with the original fan controller though, cause at high it seems quieter than the old controller.

I only have very one minor issue, which I'm pretty sure is simply cosmetic. The way the switch was mounted in the controller housing, it's on a very slight angle, so it doesn't slide as smoothly as the original fan controller. My only real concerns are that maybe, just maybe, the switch doesn't move all the way to the max speed because it's slightly blocked, but I doubt this is really happening. Also hopefully the switch won't snap off because of the angle it's on, but I guess I'll keep an eye on it.

Glad to see this fix really took care of things and now I'm pretty satisfied with this case.
I have to give thanks Redbeard and Kelvin from Corsair for all the help with this; now I just need to wait for a replacement window (came with faint scratches) and a 200mm fan as the top one does rattle on me after a little while of it being on.

It is a simple install, just a little awkward to get at one of the mounting screws, but nothing difficult.

Now there is a huge difference with this fan controller. The low/med/high speeds are all noticeably different. Low is really quiet, probably quiet enough for me to sleep with the PC on now, which is nice. I think the fans don't spin as fast as they did with the original fan controller though, cause at high it seems quieter than the old controller.

I only have very one minor issue, which I'm pretty sure is simply cosmetic. The way the switch was mounted in the controller housing, it's on a very slight angle, so it doesn't slide as smoothly as the original fan controller. My only real concerns are that maybe, just maybe, the switch doesn't move all the way to the max speed because it's slightly blocked, but I doubt this is really happening. Also hopefully the switch won't snap off because of the angle it's on, but I guess I'll keep an eye on it.

Glad to see this fix really took care of things and now I'm pretty satisfied with this case.
I have to give thanks Redbeard and Kelvin from Corsair for all the help with this; now I just need to wait for a replacement window (came with faint scratches) and a 200mm fan as the top one does rattle on me after a little while of it being on.

Eluder, just came on to send you the how-to didn’t know you were getting your new fantroller so soon, glad it was a simple install for you, that’s why I didn’t take photos, it really doesn’t need details, glad you are happy with it, if your switch isn’t sliding linearly, ;), loosen the mounting screws just a little and see if you can rotate the black controller box either way to make it straight, just an idea man.

Thanks MeanBruce, but it's not the box itself that is the issue, so loosening it wouldn't help.
I'd have to take apart the controller as it's the switch PCB itself that is mounted incorrectly into the actual controller box.

Ok, took apart the old controller, it's really easy, but I see no way of adjusting the way the switch is mounted. The PCB slides into grooves in the plastic shell and has no play, so it looks like the actual switch is mounted incorrectly (manufacturing defect) on the PCB.
Redbeard/George, can you somehow assure me that should I have any issues with this switch that you'll take care of things, even if it's in a years time?
Or would you think it's better to request another linear controller? I don't want to trouble you guys, but I just want to make sure that all is in fact A-OK.

Again, it seems to be working fine, I'm just Mr. Paranoia.

Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
I feel disgusted with myself after seeing that smooth cabling job up there.

Joe, you are right man it’s very cool looking cabling, very very cool, but unless you are entering a cabling/wiring contest, getting the panel to close with no resistance or bulging just like the case is empty is more important that cosmetic symmetry, so don’t burn yourself up over it man. Case Closed!;) Ok, that line was as corny as a cornfield.

Last edited:
Joe, you are right man it’s very cool looking cabling, very very cool, but unless you are entering a cabling/wiring contest, getting the panel to close with no resistance or bulging just like the case is empty is more important that cosmetic symmetry, so don’t burn yourself up over it man. Case Closed!;) Ok, that line was as corny as a cornfield.

I've tweaked it a little and it is better than it was before, still a slight bit of resistance. I don't think it makes much of a difference and it's not like things are difficult to work with.

Only thing left to figure out is the fan noise/buzzing. The linear controller definitely makes the air move as it should. Wish I could get a hold of a Noctua resistor or two instead of replacing the entire fan. But, gotta do what you gotta do.

Let me know if you have any problems in the future, we stand behind our products and we'll fix anything that fails within scope of the 2 year warranty.

Let me know if you have any problems in the future, we stand behind our products and we'll fix anything that fails within scope of the 2 year warranty.

Thank you sir, I suppose if nothing happens in the first year then it should be fine.

Corsair rocks! :)

Heres my 650D, Nothing special on the cables, But I guess its decent ;)

img0737ed.jpg

img0733va.jpg

I have an original Antec 900 and it is a great case for fan cooling. I believe the 650D lacks real estate for proper intake fans. :( Wish we could mate the 690ii advanced with the 650D. I think the only option is add mesh in (3) 5.25 bays like Faulkton did or take a 5.5-in hole saw to the bottom or add holes to the window. I have one on backorder, but am still eyeballing the 690ii advanced and arc midi. Fractal wrote me and claims not until June sometime for North America.

Its horrible that I can't get my temps back from my Antec 900.

Just a suggestion...try re-seating your CPU cooler. Use a thin spread of TIM instead of a drop.

Last edited:
I

Just a suggestion...try re-seating your CPU cooler. Use a thin spread of TIM instead of a drop.

Done 3 times, but the initial temp increase was coming directly out of the 900 and right into the 650, without touching the heatsink.

The intake fan is just too low in pressure cause even my gpus saw the increase.

A delta of 10 C is significant!

From the photos, the stock 200mm fans look like cheap toys. I am still waiting on my case to ship, but plan on using 3rd party fans from day 1. What troubles me, is the single intake. One beefier aftermarket 140 or 180 intake is not enough when there is (1) 120 exhaust (2) 140 exhausts and (2) video cards exhausting. Faulkton had the right idea by turning the 3 drive bays into mesh. What sucks, is paying $160 then buying new fans, then making a new hole, then adding a new filter. Makes me wonder if the other features outweigh the hassle. Corsair is clearly on the right track but for whatever reason, gimps all the Obsidian cases with poor mounting options for common fans. Hopefully the next revision will address this. ;)

Trying to think of how I would install a different front intake fan...

I am willing to sacrifice a few degrees in the same of silence. Any recommendations for a 120mm or 140mm fan? The 200mms move a lot of air, but they're just not as quiet as I would like them to be.

i TURNED MY 120 AROUND AND SHOOT air into my cpu hsf. It exhaust is picked up by a 140 noctua at the medium speed on the right side.

Saddly popping open the door cools things almost immediately down 6-10C

I stikll believe the low pressure high vol 200mm doesnt get air over to the left side of the case very well.

Did you try using the 120mm fan by the CPU as an exhaust? I would arrange it so hot air is pushed out quickly as possible. Corsair is reportedly working on a mesh side panel with fan mounts. This should help. Time will tell. Would be nice if the window was pre-drilled like the 900. May seem like I'm beating this to death, but need to get the post count up so I have a voice in the deals section. :D

Has anyone had grounding problems with your 650D? My first case had a missing standoff which caused immediate shut downs every time I tried to turn on the computer. See the hole at the right side of the pic below.

IMG_0001.jpg

Redbeard had Corsair ship another 650D but it has the same hole in the same place. I tried screwing a spare standoff into the hole but still got the same shut down/grounding problem. Any of your 650D cases have this problem?

Redbeard has been very helpful and my post is not intended to bash Corsair. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if you found a solution.

It is more likely to be a problem with your PSU or MB than a grounding problem...
I have never experienced immediate shut downs due to grounding problems with the case, especially with missing standoffs.

It is more likely to be a problem with your PSU or MB than a grounding problem...
I have never experienced immediate shut downs due to grounding problems with the case, especially with missing standoffs.
Yeah, the PSU is the next thing I wonder about. Tech support at Corsair and EVGA thought that missing standoff was causing a grounding error. I e-mailed Corsair about the PSU, this morning.

Did you try using the 120mm fan by the CPU as an exhaust? I would arrange it so hot air is pushed out quickly as possible. Corsair is reportedly working on a mesh side panel with fan mounts. This should help. Time will tell. Would be nice if the window was pre-drilled like the 900. May seem like I'm beating this to death, but need to get the post count up so I have a voice in the deals section. :D

Of coarse, I init9ially had it exhausting straight up, themn out the 120mm, now the 120s an intake... its the best yet

btw, you just admitted to spaming the forum... Not smart

Has anyone had grounding problems with your 650D? My first case had a missing standoff which caused immediate shut downs every time I tried to turn on the computer. See the hole at the right side of the pic below.

IMG_0001.jpg

Redbeard had Corsair ship another 650D but it has the same hole in the same place. I tried screwing a spare standoff into the hole but still got the same shut down/grounding problem. Any of your 650D cases have this problem?

Redbeard has been very helpful and my post is not intended to bash Corsair. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if you found a solution.

Okay, so I just checked a couple of cases, and that's intentional. If it's the same standoff, it's missing because a lot of motherboards don't actually use that hole, so we used the 9 more frequently used locations.

At this point, having two cases both give you similar grounding problems is probably a sign that it's not a grounding issue with the case. I assume you've tried this outside the case on a box or something? Just to see if it works there?

Just got an update on my order from amazon - delayed again :(

Estimated arrival date: May 25 2011 - June 09 2011

Hmm, with Amazon's delay's it might be a good idea for me to order now. Maybe I will have it in time for my July upgrades. lol. I am looking to move both my systems (gaming and media server) into a couple of 650D's. Beautiful looking case.

Mr. Redbeard: are you at liberty to discuss any info on availability of the new Corsair Link Device? Will it be case independent? Will it include white LED lighting strips?Thanks bud!;)

We'll have a lot more info on Corsair Link at Computex, but yes, it is case independent, you can put it in any case you want.

The LED light strips are RGB and software controlled so you can change them to whatever color you want.

On the corsair forums some of the guys have manged to haggle the pice down to 150$ or so if your order has been consistently delayed.

Im just going to wait till they have some in stock or MC/Frys will do a pricematch, (frys doesnt have them yet either)

Received the new fan controller on Wednesday. The week has been busy as hell and I did not have the time to install it in the case. I will try it out Sat/Sun and post my comments.

Thanks for sending it out Redbeard!

Received the new fan controller on Wednesday. The week has been busy as hell and I did not have the time to install it in the case. I will try it out Sat/Sun and post my comments.

Thanks for sending it out Redbeard!

You won't be disappointed, the new controller works great.

Corsair should start looking into an inverted case design like what Silverstone has been doing with their Fortress and Raven line of cases. It would do a lot to improve the subpar to average air cooling offered in the Obsidian cases. Having large 180mm intake fans at the bottom of the case within just a few inches of the motherboard as a replacement for having the intake up in the front with things like hard drive cages partially blocking the direct air flow makes all the difference in the world for cooling especially for the graphics cards and its why this case from what I've seen out of reviews so far can't touch the FT02/RV02/RV03 if your air cooling.

Back