Core i9 10980Xe

Sepe

n00b
Hola, tengo procesador Core i9 10980Xe, de la placa Asus X299 Ws Pro es lo mismo rapido a Asus Deluxe II Prime o Msi Creator? tengo dudar. por favor ayudarme. Gracias.
-------------------------------------

Hello, I have a Core i9 10980Xe processor, from the Asus X299 Ws Pro board is the same fast as Asus Deluxe II Prime or Msi Creator? I have to doubt. please help me. Thank you.

I have quite a lot of experience with the CPU in question as well as many X299 motherboards. I'd love to help you and answer your question. However, I can't understand what you are saying. Or, anyone here who speaks Spanish or (whatever that is) please translate. Google translate was used here and I can't make sense of it.

EDIT: If I am understanding this correctly, the question here is whether or not the ASUS X299 WS Pro is as fast as the X299 Prime Deluxe II or the MSI X299 Creator. If that is the case, then the answer is yes. Motherboards do not really determine the speed of the system. They have very little to do with it. The CPU's all use the same base clocks and the same turbo boost features. Motherboards all have pretty much the same values for everything that impacts performance out of the box.

Provided identical conditions these motherboards will all lead to the same level of performance. We've seen it countless times in the benchmarks results across motherboard reviews. The difference between motherboards comes down to a margin of error in the testing which is deemed acceptable. It's usually a 1-2% spread. The only area where one board may falter is if that board lacks certain specific features in the BIOS that could be used for performance tuning. Less expensive motherboards do not have all of the same features their more expensive counterparts do. However, this is something you won't even see when overclocking. The clock generators and VRM control of higher end boards usually amounts to more granular control over settings. Thus, you have more to work with when dialing in performance.

That said, you really have to be pushing the limits of what a CPU can do in order to see these differences. Typically, you won't even see much of a difference while using custom water cooling. You have to step up to LN2 before you really see differences between most of these motherboards. I usually see the exact same results overclocking a given CPU on a variety of boards. The difference between a cheap motherboard and an expensive one is usually about 100MHz if that.

However, memory tuning is another matter. Generally, the more expensive motherboards are far better at it. However, you need to buy RAM that's actually capable of achieving those speeds in the first place. That's the real issue as such memory is prohibitively expensive in most cases. Even then, it mostly comes down to what the more expensive motherboards can do in regard to tuning within the BIOS than it does the actual hardware. Hardware matters, and while price is something of an indicator as to what motherboard is better between the low and the high end, that's not always the case.

Anyway, the short version is this: If you were to compare your CPU on all of the motherboards you mentioned, your performance would be identical across them provided they were configured the same way. Your system isn't going to be faster with a more expensive motherboard, or one of a different model. Unless your talking about overclocking, in which case there could be a difference, but it isn't likely to be huge without stepping up to more exotic cooling methods.

Last edited:
I have quite a lot of experience with the CPU in question as well as many X299 motherboards. I'd love to help you and answer your question. However, I can't understand what you are saying. Or, anyone here who speaks Spanish or (whatever that is) please translate. Google translate was used here and I can't make sense of it.

EDIT: If I am understanding this correctly, the question here is whether or not the ASUS X299 WS Pro is as fast as the X299 Prime Deluxe II or the MSI X299 Creator. If that is the case, then the answer is yes. Motherboards do not really determine the speed of the system. They have very little to do with it. The CPU's all use the same base clocks and the same turbo boost features. Motherboards all have pretty much the same values for everything that impacts performance out of the box.

Provided identical conditions these motherboards will all lead to the same level of performance. We've seen it countless times in the benchmarks results across motherboard reviews. The difference between motherboards comes down to a margin of error in the testing which is deemed acceptable. It's usually a 1-2% spread. The only area where one board may falter is if that board lacks certain specific features in the BIOS that could be used for performance tuning. Less expensive motherboards do not have all of the same features their more expensive counterparts do. However, this is something you won't even see when overclocking. The clock generators and VRM control of higher end boards usually amounts to more granular control over settings. Thus, you have more to work with when dialing in performance.

That said, you really have to be pushing the limits of what a CPU can do in order to see these differences. Typically, you won't even see much of a difference while using custom water cooling. You have to step up to LN2 before you really see differences between most of these motherboards. I usually see the exact same results overclocking a given CPU on a variety of boards. The difference between a cheap motherboard and an expensive one is usually about 100MHz if that.

However, memory tuning is another matter. Generally, the more expensive motherboards are far better at it. However, you need to buy RAM that's actually capable of achieving those speeds in the first place. That's the real issue as such memory is prohibitively expensive in most cases. Even then, it mostly comes down to what the more expensive motherboards can do in regard to tuning within the BIOS than it does the actual hardware. Hardware matters, and while price is something of an indicator as to what motherboard is better between the low and the high end, that's not always the case.

Anyway, the short version is this: If you were to compare your CPU on all of the motherboards you mentioned, your performance would be identical across them provided they were configured the same way. Your system isn't going to be faster with a more expensive motherboard, or one of a different model. Unless your talking about overclocking, in which case there could be a difference, but it isn't likely to be huge without stepping up to more exotic cooling methods.

Muchas gracias me has informaciones me encanta. bien mi amigo me dijo que tenia Core i9 9960x parece a 10980Xe cual es diferente solo mas 2 cores. algo mas? muchas gracias, un saludo
----------------------------------------
Thank you very much, you have given me information, I love it. Well my friend told me that he had Core i9 9960x it seems to 10980Xe which is different only 2 cores. anything else? thank you very much, greetings

There are several differences between the Core i9-9960X and the i9-10980XE. In addition to having two more cores and two more threads, the i9-10980XE has a lower base clock of 3.0GHz and a higher boost clock of 4.8GHz compared to the 4.4GHz of the i9-9960X. Additionally, the 10980XE also has more L3 cache (24.5MB vs. 22MB) and 4 additional PCI-Express lanes and support for Intel's Deep Learning Boost, which is an extension to the AVX-512 instruction set.

There are several differences between the Core i9-9960X and the i9-10980XE. In addition to having two more cores and two more threads, the i9-10980XE has a lower base clock of 3.0GHz and a higher boost clock of 4.8GHz compared to the 4.4GHz of the i9-9960X. Additionally, the 10980XE also has more L3 cache (24.5MB vs. 22MB) and 4 additional PCI-Express lanes and support for Intel's Deep Learning Boost, which is an extension to the AVX-512 instruction set.

Hola Dan_D ya entiendo, me da cuenta, tengo core i9 10980xe pongo a la placa Asus Ws pro me parece no es bueno otro mejor placa Asus Prime II Deluxe o Misi creator mas rapido que a Ws pro? muchas gracias. note molestas Dan_D
--------------------------

Hello Dan_D I understand, I realize, I have core i9 10980xe I put the Asus Ws pro board, it seems to me not another better board is Asus Prime II Deluxe or Misi creator faster than Ws pro? Thanks a lot. notice annoying Dan_D

Again, one motherboard is not going to be faster than another. The system will perform the same regardless of whether or not you are using an ASUS WS Pro, Prime II Deluxe or an MSI Creator board. They are all the same as far as "speed" is concerned.

That is a gross over simplification, but the answer I've given is basically correct.

Again, one motherboard is not going to be faster than another. The system will perform the same regardless of whether or not you are using an ASUS WS Pro, Prime II Deluxe or an MSI Creator board. They are all the same as far as "speed" is concerned.

That is a gross over simplification, but the answer I've given is basically correct.
Ahora más ya entiendo muy claro. No compro placa Asus x299 deluxe II y si queda Asus Ws pro estaba core i9 7900x cambio a procesador core I9 10980xe, tengo poco miedo a ver suerte. Luego me diras como hacer bios para overcloking. Que algo te pago PayPal. Muchas gracias por su colaboración. DAN_D
-----------------

Now I already understand very clearly. I do not buy Asus x299 deluxe II motherboard and if there is Asus Ws pro it was core i9 7900x change to core I9 10980xe processor, I am little afraid to see luck. Then you will tell me how to make bios for overclocking. That something PayPal paid you. Thank you very much for your help. DAN_D

Whatever happen to 10990xe? Abandoned?
I got an email the other day about my B&H notification lol.

Thank you for your interest in the following item: boxed 10980xe

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item is unfortunately no longer available at B&H.

I got an email the other day about my B&H notification lol.

Thank you for your interest in the following item: boxed 10980xe

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item is unfortunately no longer available at B&H.

I've been getting the same notification since they first put the product on their website. Availability of the Core i9-10980XE is a joke.

I've been getting the same notification since they first put the product on their website. Availability of the Core i9-10980XE is a joke.

They actually pulled it totally from the site now.

The OEM Tray version is actually shipping from B&H. I still wouldn't buy it though at $1,099.00

To be honest, Intel has all but abandoned the HEDT market as of now. Although the CPUs are technically still in production, distribution of these CPUs has been poor. Within the next couple of years, I would not be surprised if X299 and LGA 2066 are discontinued for enthusiast platforms with no successor whatsoever. That will force enthusiasts into a tough choice between the consumer LGA 1200 or successor platform and the ultra-expensive server platform with minimal (if any) overclock capability and relatively low clock speeds.

To be honest, Intel has all but abandoned the HEDT market as of now. Although the CPUs are technically still in production, distribution of these CPUs has been poor. Within the next couple of years, I would not be surprised if X299 and LGA 2066 are discontinued for enthusiast platforms with no successor whatsoever. That will force enthusiasts into a tough choice between the consumer LGA 1200 or successor platform and the ultra-expensive server platform with minimal (if any) overclock capability and relatively low clock speeds.
They havent abandoned anything. Its been known that Ice Lake-X will be the successor to Cascade Lake-X. Keep in mind HEDT is a descendant of the server platform. Current HEDT is Cascade Lake-X and current server was Cascade Lake-SP until June when they released Cooper Lake-SP. Ice Lake-SP is the successor to Cooper Lake-SP and that is the next step for HEDT. X299 and LGA2066 are already end of life. Ice Lake-X will bring in a new socket and a new chipset. X299 had a longer life then expected by having three series of chips on it rather then the expected two. As someone on the X299 platform i have no desire to downgrade to a mainstream platform.

Keep in mind that HEDT is derived from server and workstation products. It's a minimal investment for Intel with potential for decent returns.

I just got this update from B&H Photo and Video.

1595089448616.png

They should correct that to say: "It was never available in the first place."

I was curious about that too and apparently BLT is a tigerdirect dropshipper like how Provantage is a Synnex dropshipper.

Last edited:
Looks like Intel has some 9980 stock too if you want don't care about the 10 series.

I want to ask, guys I9 10980xe should be a good upgrade from I9 7960x ? I think it is better to wait for DDR5 and PCI-E 4.

My answer on both is yes.
I want to OC 18 cores to 5-5.2 Ghz.

Last edited:
My answer on both is yes.
I want to OC 18 cores to 5-5.2 Ghz.

Good luck on that. You'll probably need LN2 to achieve clocks like that. At the voltages required to stabilize those clocks you'll be seeing heat that a good waterblock, a 480mm and 420mm radiator couldn't tame. 4.8GHz on such a loop could already hit 109c at full load.

Good luck on that. You'll probably need LN2 to achieve clocks like that. At the voltages required to stabilize those clocks you'll be seeing heat that a good waterblock, a 480mm and 420mm radiator couldn't tame. 4.8GHz on such a loop could already hit 109c at full load.

Hell, my slightly over-volted (haven't gotten around to setting it to default, and gigabyte gets creative) Z490 Aorus Master + 10700k @ 4.8 all cores hits 80c under full load - with dual 360MM and high-speed fans.

Hell, my slightly over-volted (haven't gotten around to setting it to default, and gigabyte gets creative) Z490 Aorus Master + 10700k @ 4.8 all cores hits 80c under full load - with dual 360MM and high-speed fans.

The Core i9-10980XE did pretty well up to 4.7GHz. Even then, it hits upwards of 96c even on good AIO's.

The Core i9-10980XE did pretty well up to 4.7GHz. Even then, it hits upwards of 96c even on good AIO's.
Doesn't surprise me. This gen of 14NM is stupid hot compared to the prior generations - more so than I thought. I'm not on the best custom look (corsair X), but it's getting pushed if I really whack the system. Of course, part of that is the board and ignoring spec and pushing the volts.

For my CPUs 4.8 seems to be about where you'd need sub ambient to keep going since the vcore required goes way up. I can run my 9800x at 5GHz but it gets toasty and I'd not run it there for a daily driver.

Lap the chip and waterblock helps so much.
My Optimus foundation blocks actually work really well with mine, I have sub 10 C core spread on my 7980.

Last edited:
Back