Compare these GPU's - Do I accept?

FenFox

Limp Gawd
Doing an RMA of this card: GeForce RTX™ 2080 WINDFORCE OC 8G -> https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080WF3OC-8GC#kf

I've been offered this card as a replacement: GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti EAGLE 8G (rev. 1.0) --> https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N306TEAGLE-8GD-rev-10#kf

I'm told the 3060 Ti is at least 3% faster.

But the Gigabyte rep can't even tell me if this 3060 Ti is new or refurbished and if I'm not mistaken I think this EAGLE is an entry level 3060 Ti. So, do you accept the RMA or try to get a better graphics card from them? They will give me $930 CAD cash or this card. They don't have any other GPU to offer at this moment, but the fact that he can't tell me if It's refurbished or new has me feeling a bit unsure. I've been needing a new GPU since the summer of last year, maybe I should just go for the card instead of taking the cash or trying to get something better? What would you guys do.

3060ti is an honest trade off a 2080. Given the pricing right now, I don't think it's a bad deal. I'd take it. Unless you want to take the cash and use it to upgrade to a 3080 or something.

Personally I'd take the cash, but do you have a spare card that you can use meanwhile? Like something older that will obviously be slower but can still play games? If you don't have any spare cards, then taking the cash now would basically mean you can't play games for a while, and I assume that would probably factor in to your decision.

One good thing about the 3060 Ti over the 2080 is that Nvidia loves using artificial product segmentation to make their newer cards seem more attractive. For example, when they announced RTX IO, they heavily implied that it would be compatible with 3000 series cards but not 2000 series cards, even though both are RTX cards. If you hold onto the card long enough, it's also possible that the 3000 series card will get driver updates longer than the 2000 series cards.

I'd take the cash and wait till something better comes along, otherwise you are basically paying $930 for a most likely refurbed 3060ti.

I only have a 650w PSU though - Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold
and I think 3070 and 3070 Ti need higher than 650w, though, some disagree and say 650w is fine. Wasn't planning on upgrading my PSU.

Doing an RMA of this card: GeForce RTX™ 2080 WINDFORCE OC 8G -> https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080WF3OC-8GC#kf

I've been offered this card as a replacement: GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti EAGLE 8G (rev. 1.0) --> https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N306TEAGLE-8GD-rev-10#kf

But the Gigabyte rep can't even tell me if this 3060 Ti is new or refurbished and if I'm not mistaken I think this EAGLE is an entry level 3060 Ti. So, do you accept the RMA or try to get a better graphics card from them? They will give me $930 CAD cash or this card. They don't have any other GPU to offer at this moment, but the fact that he can't tell me if It's refurbished or new has me feeling a bit unsure. I've been needing a new GPU since the summer of last year, maybe I should just go for the card instead of taking the cash or trying to get something better? What would you guys do.

Why do I feel this thread has already happened?????

Take the cash. Is this Canadian $? $930 can get you a 3070 or 3070 Ti, easy.

Take the cash. Is this Canadian $? $930 can get you a 3070 or 3070 Ti, easy.
Yeah, it's CAD (Canadian). But then I have to upgrade my 650w PSU and I'd rather not pay for an upgrade.

I only have a 650w PSU though - Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold
and I think 3070 and 3070 Ti need higher than 650w, though, some disagree and say 650w is fine. Wasn't planning on upgrading my PSU.
A Corsair Rmx series is a pretty good psu. You need a new gpu anyway - I would take the cash and upgrade the gpu - prices are going down, too - the problem is they get sold out or go out of stock - the cards that do reduce in price, anyway. If you're in Canada - just check out the Memory Express and Canada Computers websites - occasionally, newegg and amazon have temporary sales - but, the first two stores are your best bet.

Rtx 3070 should be fine on a quality 650w psu in my opinion. 3070ti raises the bar a bit as far as power goes, but even then, assuming you don't have a super hungry CPU it may end up being OK..

There are 3070s for sale locally to me in the $1000 ballpark. 3060s for $550 and tis not much more. I would take the cash and buy something used. Especially when you can't even guarantee the card you are getting is new.

Yeah, it's CAD (Canadian). But then I have to upgrade my 650w PSU and I'd rather not pay for an upgrade.
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1372503-corsair-650-rmx-3070-ti-enough-power/

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-psu-nvidia-rtx-3070

You could probably get by with the Corsair you have and maybe save up to give you a bit more headroom with a newer psu - for peace of mind? But, the consensus seems to be that's a good psu and you should be fine with a 3070 or even a 3070 Ti. The advantage of buying your own card - you know it's brand new and not refurbished - and you might have a few more choices other than the Eagle?

P.S. - think of it this way, too - even if you buy a new psu - that's a pretty good upgrade - it's the price of a good psu - in Canada, the Corsair RM750x has been as low as $129 CAD and the 850x - $139 CAD - I recently bought the 2018 edition, RM850x, so that I'd be ready for any gpu upgrades. I wish I had $930 for a gpu. :)

Rtx 3070 should be fine on a quality 650w psu in my opinion. 3070ti raises the bar a bit as far as power goes, but even then, assuming you don't have a super hungry CPU it may end up being OK..
How much better is a 3070 over a 3060 Ti?

Fairly immaterial to overall power draw (on the hdds). We are talking about 10w each there.

9600k isn't super power hungry - 95w tdp, so I'd expect a full load for CPU/board under 150ish. 3070 won't top 400 no matter what you do, so 150+400+60 is still a touch under the 650w max of your supply.

How much better is a 3070 over a 3060 Ti?
At 1440p, I'd say about a 15% boost.

Reactions: pavel
like this
I run a 650 watt NZXT PSU in my H1 build (It came with it) with a 5600x OC'ed to 4.6 and a 3070ti FE at stock clocks. No issues at all.

EDIT: This same 3070ti used to be in a system that runs a 5800x @ 4.6 and has an EVGA Gold 650Watt PSU. I would bet a quality 650W could run a 3080 as well without issue.

Yeah, I'd take the cash and you should be able to get a 3070 for that money at least at this point. Not sure about the CAD exchange rate, but there's $650-$700 US 3070 and 3070ti deals in the Hot Deals thread right now.

yeah take the money get a 3070 your PSU should be fine

Reactions: pavel
like this
I think I've decided on this card:

GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OC LHR 8GB PCI-E w/ HDMI, Triple DP for: $699.99 CAD (Canadian pricing)​

Not sure if that's a good deal, but the local stores I called were all sold out of 3070's and the 3070 Ti's they had in stock were expensive. I also don't feel 100% comfortable using a 3070/3070 Ti with a 650w even though It's probably fine. I suppose if they had 3070's in I would've said "Fuck it" and just bought one.​

Am I being too impatient here? Should I maybe wait for 3070's to come back in stock? (Whenever that will be).... Keeping in mind my other graphics card has been defective since the summer of 2021!! so I've kinda already been waiting a while!​

I think I've decided on this card:

GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OC LHR 8GB PCI-E w/ HDMI, Triple DP for: $699.99 CAD (Canadian pricing)​

Not sure if that's a good deal, but the local stores I called were all sold out of 3070's and the 3070 Ti's they had in stock were expensive. I also don't feel 100% comfortable using a 3070/3070 Ti with a 650w even though It's probably fine. I suppose if they had 3070's in I would've said "Fuck it" and just bought one.​

Am I being too impatient here? Should I maybe wait for 3070's to come back in stock? (Whenever that will be).... Keeping in mind my other graphics card has been defective since the summer of 2021!! so I've kinda already been waiting a while!​

What stores? If you want, dm me and I can suggest something based on your location. There's only two stores worth visiting right now in Canada - Canada Computers and Memory Express. Also, check reddit - they have some subs for sales in Canada - but, I think many of the posts are too slow. It depends if you really want a 3070 or 3070 Ti - you can get one but you have to be patient and you have to go to the store right away or order it (if it's available online) since they sell out quick. It's not impossible but it's difficult to get it in time. I missed out on a card because I didn't reserve it - I wasn't sure I had the option but I did. Still, I got a decent card, EVGA 3060 XC, but it's sometimes cheaper than the price I paid - however, it's also constantly out of stock.

If you want to keep it simple and don't want to play this waiting game, then the 3060 Ti is often available around $700 - that's a satisfactory deal in Canada - which is pretty sad. :)

What stores? If you want, dm me and I can suggest something based on your location. There's only two stores worth visiting right now in Canada - Canada Computers and Memory Express. Also, check reddit - they have some subs for sales in Canada - but, I think many of the posts are too slow. It depends if you really want a 3070 or 3070 Ti - you can get one but you have to be patient and you have to go to the store right away or order it (if it's available online) since they sell out quick. It's not impossible but it's difficult to get it in time. I missed out on a card because I didn't reserve it - I wasn't sure I had the option but I did. Still, I got a decent card, EVGA 3060 XC, but it's sometimes cheaper than the price I paid - however, it's also constantly out of stock.

If you want to keep it simple and don't want to play this waiting game, then the 3060 Ti is often available around $700 - that's a satisfactory deal in Canada - which is pretty sad. :)
The stores you mentioned - Canada Computers and Memory Express. Neither stores have any 3070's in stock which is what I would have picked if I could have despite the fact that a PSU above 650w is recommended and I only have a 650w. (It's just being on the safe side, I know there are many people who said 650w is probably fine). Thing is, I've been patient for almost an entire year. Gigabyte had that ransomware BS where their RMA/CS was shut down for a long time, they were on backlog when they got back up and running and they've had my card for months now initially telling me there nothing wrong until weeks later finally admitting that something was wrong. They were straight up just gonna ship back my busted GPU if I didn't press them to investigate further. It's been annoying as fuck to deal with. I'm not sure what people use to be able to spot good cards on sale, but CC/ME don't know when they'll get anymore 3070's in. The only option they have for 3070ti that isn't completely unreasonable is: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119893 but It's a Gigabyte and I don't wanna deal with Gigabyte anymore ever.

This is my processor:
Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

Don't know if the processor would bottleneck a 3070/3070 Ti.

What Reddit subs / sites are good to check for deals? I need some kinda alert thing to grab my attention.

Last edited:
The stores you mentioned - Canada Computers and Memory Express. Neither stores have any 3070's in stock which is what I would have picked if I could have despite the fact that a PSU above 650w is recommended and I only have a 650w. (It's just being on the safe side, I know there are many people who said 650w is probably fine). Thing is, I've been patient for almost an entire year. Gigabyte had that ransomware BS where their RMA/CS was shut down for a long time, they were on backlog when they got back up and running and they've had my card for months now initially telling me there nothing wrong until weeks later finally admitting that something was wrong. They were straight up just gonna ship back my busted GPU if I didn't press them to investigate further. It's been annoying as fuck to deal with. I'm not sure what people use to be able to spot good cards on sale, but CC/ME don't know when they'll get anymore 3070's in. The only option they have for 3070ti that isn't completely unreasonable is: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119893

This is my processor:
Unless you’re pushing a 12900k and a 3080+ simultaneously in a workload, which gaming doesn’t, your 650 will be fine for both a 3070 ad 3070ti

The stores you mentioned - Canada Computers and Memory Express. Neither stores have any 3070's in stock which is what I would have picked if I could have despite the fact that a PSU above 650w is recommended and I only have a 650w. (It's just being on the safe side, I know there are many people who said 650w is probably fine). Thing is, I've been patient for almost an entire year. Gigabyte had that ransomware BS where their RMA/CS was shut down for a long time, they were on backlog when they got back up and running and they've had my card for months now initially telling me there nothing wrong until weeks later finally admitting that something was wrong. They were straight up just gonna ship back my busted GPU if I didn't press them to investigate further. It's been annoying as fuck to deal with. I'm not sure what people use to be able to spot good cards on sale, but CC/ME don't know when they'll get anymore 3070's in. The only option they have for 3070ti that isn't completely unreasonable is: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119893 but It's a Gigabyte and I don't wanna deal with Gigabyte anymore ever.

This is my processor:

What Reddit subs / sites are good to check for deals? I need some kinda alert thing to grab my attention.
Another option, Amazon.ca has the slightly better gaming version for $729 in stock right now. Not sure how it compares to the Ventus.

https://**************/2VPsmEe

If you are patient you should be able to find a 3070 or 3070 ti at some point. Best But Canada has been dropping small amounts almost daily and if they have another drop like last month you should be able to get what you want.

Another option, Amazon.ca has the slightly better gaming version for $729 in stock right now. Not sure how it compares to the Ventus.

https://**************/2VPsmEe

If you are patient you should be able to find a 3070 or 3070 ti at some point. Best But Canada has been dropping small amounts almost daily and if they have another drop like last month you should be able to get what you want.
Dropping small amounts of what? What do you mean? Also I can't see that Amazon link properly?

This is my processor:

I checked recently and some individual stores had a 3070 and 3070 Ti - you would have to call to confirm. The inventory changes quickly so it's possible that the number was inaccurate. But, if you are close enough to the store - it's worth visiting. I found my current card by going to the store for a different card (it was sold by the time I got there) and the card I bought arrived there that day - probably in the time that I was driving there.

Discord is probably a better site if you want notifications. Also, I think someone one here posted a 'stock' site but it was only applicable for Best Buy and Amazon - it didn't list for any other vendors.

The reddit sub:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanada/

Someone will post a deal pretty quickly so you have to be watching it. Any Nvidia or AMD card at a good price (close to MSRP, at least, in Canada) sells out quickly so it's usually sold out by the time I see the link. But, I got my card now so I'm not checking for graphics cards anymore - I just notice this trend. I'm looking for a case, ssd and motherboard now - and there's rarely sales for those parts.

This 3070 ti is in stock and probably the best performing card in your range - https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=194930
Good catch. If it was me, I would try to get this card - I think, with taxes - he might need an additional $60 but it's still a solid deal - it would be a solid upgrade. CC should transfer the card to the closest store - if the ones in the store inventory list isn't his. It might depend on the store and the sales person. An Asus card is probably his best bet - they are the usually the cheapest card in the series right now.

Good catch. If it was me, I would try to get this card - I think, with taxes - he might need an additional $60 but it's still a solid deal - it would be a solid upgrade. CC should transfer the card to the closest store - if the ones in the store inventory list isn't his. It might depend on the store and the sales person. An Asus card is probably his best bet - they are the usually the cheapest card in the series right now.
It was in stock for delivery from the online store for about an hour, guess it’s sold out now. Should be back as they get more stock week to week.

This 3070 ti is in stock and probably the best performing card in your range - https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=194930
Yeah, that card would've been very nice for the price but they don't have them in stock anymore. When I called Canada Computers they said they had 30 in and they were sold in less than 10 minutes. I don't think I can win at this game of trying to grab them that quickly. :( So I may have to buy something I don't ideally wanna buy.

Yeah, that card would've been very nice for the price but they don't have them in stock anymore. When I called Canada Computers they said they had 30 in and they were sold in less than 10 minutes. I don't think I can win at this game of trying to grab them that quickly. :( So I may have to buy something I don't ideally wanna buy.
You called your local CC? They get them often....I went to the same store three times this month - once, they had only one 3060 and a 3060 Ti just sold - then they had a 3060 the third time I was there. The turnover is quite crazy but they should get some in - probably Asus cards. The last two 3060s was a Asus and the other one was an EVGA. They had 3080s, too. Keep trying.

Edit: Various stores seem to have the 3070 Ti Tuf Gaming. Don't know where you are located though - several stores but, not sure what how accurate it is.

Last edited:
You called your local CC? They get them often....I went to the same store three times this month - once, they had only one 3060 and a 3060 Ti just sold - then they had a 3060 the third time I was there. The turnover is quite crazy but they should get some in - probably Asus cards. The last two 3060s was a Asus and the other one was an EVGA. They had 3080s, too. Keep trying.

Edit: Various stores seem to have the 3070 Ti Tuf Gaming. Don't know where you are located though - several stores but, not sure what how accurate it is.
Located an hour away from Vancouver so I can't just walk into a store to see what they have, I'd have to spot any kinda deal online and order probably within 10-15 minutes before they sell out. They won't hold cards and they won't ship cards. I can see from their website that CC Ontario has a bunch of these cards in stock but yeah, they won't ship them and they won't do store transfers. Very strict about it. I feel like if I keep trying to play this game I'll just be without a graphics card for another year lol.

You say the card that they're offering is a rev1 card. If memory serves, that means it is a FHR card; so likely made before May or June. Thus, likely a refurb. Offside is, being a FHR card, it is worth more to the right second hand buyer.

I dont know what it is like buying from across the line entails these days, but you could just get the cash and buy from a user here maybe? Maybe a second hand card in Vancouver or Seattle...that is assuming you can do a border crossing. I remember the good old days when you just crossed...ID was optional.

Located an hour away from Vancouver so I can't just walk into a store to see what they have, I'd have to spot any kinda deal online and order probably within 10-15 minutes before they sell out. They won't hold cards and they won't ship cards. I can see from their website that CC Ontario has a bunch of these cards in stock but yeah, they won't ship them and they won't do store transfers. Very strict about it. I feel like if I keep trying to play this game I'll just be without a graphics card for another year lol.
Oh, okay. Got it. That makes it a lot harder. The online prices are horrible - even when a decent price comes about, it's only for a short time and the card gets sold out and 'returns' at a higher price. I sent a few links of cards just above your $930 - if you are trying to get a card for that price including tax - it will be even more difficult - if you want a 3070 or 3070 Ti, that is. If you can find a bit extra $ to cover tax, you should be able to find a card online - if you are willing to wait a bit. If you ultimately go for a 3060 Ti - I would try to get a Strix or something like that - don't get Gigabyte - RMAs for Canadian customers - they have to send the card to the USA - EVGA, too - but, the EVGA customer service is usually pretty good. I'd try to find an ASUS or MSI card.
Alternatively, like others are suggesting - to get a used card - but, then I would be afraid of the lack of warranty - and if it was mined - stuff like that.

Back