CoD: MW2 Lets Player Kill Civilians

HardOCP News

[H] News
So here is the story...there is a part in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 where the player takes part in shooting innocent civilians. Obviously this has caused a bit of controversy around the internet, prompting the developers to issue a statement:

The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player's mission to stop them. Players have the option of skipping over the scene. At the beginning of the game, there are two 'checkpoints' where the player is advised that some people may find an upcoming segment disturbing. These checkpoints can't be disabled.

The developers also said that part of the game can be skipped “without losing any of the story.” If that is so, why even include it in the game?

So shooting innocent civilians in the GTA series is okay, but not in MW2?

media controversy and hype sells copies, nothing more.
rockstar has mastered this.

So civilians represent pc gamers and the bullets into their faces represents stealing our dedicated servers?

The developers also said that part of the game can be skipped “without losing any of the story.” If that is so, why even include it in the game?

That's not how art works. Otherwise people would be just as happy reading a movie script as they would be watching it.

If that is so, why even include it in the game?

From what you quoted

The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player's mission to stop them.

Just because you don't need to see it to advance the story, doesn't mean that the sense of urgency it provides will add to experience for some people.

I expect that a lot of people moaning about the game don't complain about real soldiers invading countries and murdering civilians.

All this is, is a reenactment of what is being done to the people that bought the game by the developer. =)

That's not how art works. Otherwise people would be just as happy reading a movie script as they would be watching it.

This isn't art. Infinity Ward isn't creating this game out of some need to share a story with us. Its being created to make money, hand over fist. This is just for publicity and shock value.

While I typically dont care about this kind of stuff and under no condition think anything should have mandatory censorship or be outright banned this kinda bugs me. While I admit there are plenty of other games where you kill innocents it the more serious nature of this game compared to others which makes it seem less acceptable to me. I honestly don't see why they had to do it this way and not simply make it a cutscene, hell even a first person cutscene would be fine but it seems that a game attempting to convey a message and be taken seriously would either be turned into a farce by a scene like this or just gain nothing so it seems very unnecessary to me.
Just my 2 cents

Our government kills innocent civilians weekly in Afghanistan and we are ok with that. Heaven forbid we kill fake white people in a videogame.

I have the sudden urge to play Carmageddon.

Why did they stop making sequels to that again?

The ultimate troll bait:

Our government kills innocent civilians weekly in Afghanistan and we are ok with that. Heaven forbid we kill fake white people in a videogame.

You bring up war, terrorism, killing civilians, killing white people, racism, videogames, and indirectly, God, all in two sentences.

Woah.

Thanks for the spoilers in the headline of the news article that I found in my RSS feed wo/ even clicking the article. I had been avoiding this from other sites that did not include the actual event...

So what, fake people can be killed in a virtual world. Thats a massive issue? Does it really matter all that much? If someone is playing these games and unable to discern the difference between the game and real life, they shouldnt be playing the game anyway.

Doesn't anyone remember using cheat codes in Half-Life 1 so you could blast the shit out of the beginning of the game/Black Mesa? That was just as fun as hell! The way those scientists fell/yell was just F@#^@ hilarious!

at this point, this kind of controversy is to be expected. it sucks because it often contains spoilers regarding something that i look forward to experiencing first hand.

whatever, to me, this is a great motivation to buy the product. i want to enjoy what all the fuss is about. great marketing.

I have the sudden urge to play Carmageddon.

Why did they stop making sequels to that again?

Thank you I came here to post exactly that. Its in the game because its fun. Most of us can tell reality from fiction.

there was a great skit on the simpsons or family guy (can't remember which) that joked about a girl dying in a bus crash.. once it was determined it wasn't a white girl the reporters lost interest.

Terrorists are people too, yeah crazy notion huh? living breathing human beings that have a different opinion as to how to live their life than you do. So it's fine and dandy to smoke them in a videogame but when the smoking comes the other way? HOLY SHIT BREAK OUT THE BIBLES IT's TIME FOR A LYNCHING!

A terrorist by nature is a civilian. They are not representing another nation as a uniformed soldier. nobody will bitch about killing them but when the shoe is on the other foot it's a freakin outrage.

this is my message to America:
YOU ARE NOT A PRECIOUS LITTLE SNOWFLAKE, NEITHER IS YOUR KID. you really need to stop with this nanny-state bullshit and deal with REAL problems, not whether an imaginary terrorist killed an imaginary civilian in an imaginary world.

I've been playing violent video games for 30 years now. I haven't assaulted anyone. murdered anyone or shut the power off to a hospital. I served my country, raised a son on my own and have been a reasonably productive member of society, the issues isn't the games, it is YOU.

end of line

Wah wah wah. If you don't like it, play Super Barbie Dressup. :rolleyes:

Exactly. It's a game, and it doesn't matter what the "virtual label" of what your "virtual target" is being killed by your "virtual weapon".

I suppose PETA should descend upon my door since the "virtual fish" in my "virtual aquarium" last week "virtually died" ... I'm a fish killer!!!

:rolleyes:

Exactly. It's a game, and it doesn't matter what the "virtual label" of what your "virtual target" is being killed by your "virtual weapon".

I suppose PETA should descend upon my door since the "virtual fish" in my "virtual aquarium" last week "virtually died" ... I'm a fish killer!!!

:rolleyes:

Killing fish eh? You know, all serial murders start out killing little, hapless creatures. We should arrest YOU for potentially killing people, you cold blooded murderer.

Bullshit. You views on the war are your own, and you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy. But accusing the men and women who give their lives to defend our freedom of killing innocent civilians is bullshit. Most of the men in my family have been in the military in 3 different branches, and I take great offense to your statement.

Bullshit. You views on the war are your own, and you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy. But accusing the men and women who give their lives to defend our freedom of killing innocent civilians is bullshit. Most of the men in my family have been in the military in 3 different branches, and I take great offense to your statement.

as a veteran myself i take some issues with you taking issue.
American's have killed civilians. plain and simple.
The bombing campaign in Europe at the end of the second world war killed more civilians than could ever be accounted for. Was it intentional? probably not but it was the only way to ensure victory for our country and our allies.
My Lai Massacre? wiki it (interesting fact on that is that a young Major that was charged with investigating that was a certain Joint Chief named Colin Powell )

I know from speaking to returning veterans of these wars that civilians are being killed by American servicemen. Do they feel good about it? absolutely not but the mission was the mission and that is just how it is in the military.
to take offense to something that is a cold hard fact is just silly. Don't wave your flag in the man's face and use your family's service ( not yours) as an excuse to deny the facts.

For those of you who don't think this is a big deal - you need to step back and look at the bigger picture. The problem is that Joe and Jane Public see this, and freak out, and then you get a huge backlash against ALL FPS games in general. Right or Wrong, that's what's going to happen.

This part of the story didn't have to be included AT ALL, especially as an interactive section. It was simply included to rabble rouse the media and get a rise out of people. This get's the game free publicity. It was done in EXTREMELY poor taste and if they wanted to simply show how viscous these guys were, they would have put the player in the shoes of one of the civilians trying to save himself and or others. But no, they decided to take the most controversial possible position, for no other reason than to make more money.

Real Tacky move IW.

one of the characters in the game actually comes out of virtual reality and starts shooting civilians? Seriously......Don't people realize that this is pure fantastical? It's a game, not real life....Maybe a touch of realism... Jeez...I say that the Transformers ought to be banned...they killed civilians also..oh yeah, that was a fantastical film too, no one was really hurt. Maybe Julia Child ought to be banned also, I saw her kill a chicken in the oven, oh, but that was real. Murdering bitch.

And people wonder why there are so many maniacs in the world, everything that we do these days is bad, or upsets someone in someway. You play vid games: your a mentally deranged psychopath on the cusp of a murderous rampage!! K, guess it better that you become a zombie, then you'll be living OK.

Back