CoD 4 tomorrow, anyone biting?

Ill pass on this one, unless I see it in the bargin bin. Has some neat features, runs and looks great, but plays like an arcade shooter. With a game that looks and feels real, to toss all realism when it comes to gameplay....meh.

There's an out-of-the-box hardcore multiplayer game mode which makes it more realistic...

I wanna pick it up but all I've been playing if TF2.

I will wait a bit until prices drop to like $30. Right now I got way too many games here sitting that I haven't finished. I need to start playing them. lol

Will the PC multiplayer have all the features that are found on the consoles versions ? (character progression, upgradable weapons, etc...)

Ill pass on this one, unless I see it in the bargin bin. Has some neat features, runs and looks great, but plays like an arcade shooter. With a game that looks and feels real, to toss all realism when it comes to gameplay....meh.

Yeah man, unlike Crysis which completely captured the feel of an alien invasion.. I remember the last one we had, Crytek got it spot on.(You've posted in the past you like games like Crysis, EP2 and Gears, which lack "realism" as well)

Keep ragin duder! :p

Anyone got the PC version yet? No one around me wil let it slip until tomorrow..

I am so very tempted to wait for steam seeing how I've got two tests this week...Oh hell I'm going to pick it up tomorrow morning if BB has it in stock...

edit: I can't believe people are complaining about the graphics????????
personally, the fact that it runs absolutely flawless on my x1800xt with medium detail and 1680 rez is a dealmaker...

I think COD4 is better than Crysis. I just don't like the Farcry feel of Crysis. COD4 has a more exciting and thrilling experience.. Thats just my opinion.

There's an out-of-the-box hardcore multiplayer game mode which makes it more realistic...

I wanna pick it up but all I've been playing if TF2.

I honestly wasn't looking forward to multiplayer AT ALL until I heard about that. Doesn't the HUD go away as well? Not sure if that will be annoying or not. I'm definitely a one hit kill person, so a hardcore mode will bring me closer to that. Also, the class creation system is nice.

Im going with a friend to pickup COD4 and Supreme Commander Forged Alliances... tough to decide on which to install first :) and we both took tomorrow off...

I'm down for CoD4. Gonna try to get it at lunch today.

I'm sure i'll enjoy the single player but I'm really in it for the MP.

As much as I looooove TF2, a realistic setting + wepons w/mods will win me over any day of the week.

Agreed...I'll pass.

I honestly wasn't looking forward to multiplayer AT ALL until I heard about that. Doesn't the HUD go away as well? Not sure if that will be annoying or not. I'm definitely a one hit kill person, so a hardcore mode will bring me closer to that. Also, the class creation system is nice.
There is an awesome realism mod for COD2 that was developed and run on several servers.

More weapon damage, slower run speeds, one hit kills, more realistic weapon sounds, jumps from second stories hurt or kill, no healing, etc. It was awesome, and I'm expecting something similar for COD4. No worries.

No sale, no buy, at least for right now.

I'm not fond of paying $50 for any PC game, and I haven't done it yet, and don't intend to start ;)

Just waiting for Circuit City to put it on sale in a few weeks, or someone will put it on sale for Black Friday. I'm a patient guy with no time to play games anyways these days, so I can afford to wait.

I have a question about the store version of CoD 4 and the Steam Community. Since Steam will be providing the game, if I buy the store version will Steam recognize it and allow my friends to join my server, chat, etc...? Or would only the Steam version allow those kind of options?

Steam Community has become a pretty big part of my group of gaming friends, and I'd like it to be integrated in as many of my games as possible.

My wife is off today, so she'll be swinging by BB to pick it up for me. She's also putting in a pre-order for SimCity Societies.

I have a question about the store version of CoD 4 and the Steam Community. Since Steam will be providing the game, if I buy the store version will Steam recognize it and allow my friends to join my server, chat, etc...? Or would only the Steam version allow those kind of options?

Steam Community has become a pretty big part of my group of gaming friends, and I'd like it to be integrated in as many of my games as possible.

I don't think it matters, because Steam and CoD4 use different server browsers. I don't know if u can join someone elses game through your friends list. You can alwasy just add CoD4 to you games on steam.

IGN confirmed the rumours that the single player is only 4, yes FOUR, hours long. Sorry, but no way I'm buying this at full price.

If I want multiplayer FPS theres a lot of other games out there for that, single player would be the reason I would have bought this, well not anymore.

IGN confirmed the rumours that the single player is only 4, yes FOUR, hours long. Sorry, but no way I'm buying this at full price.

Drama queen.

IGN said:
Rounding out COD4's very short list of complaints is the campaign length. On Regular difficulty, you can probably beat COD4 in 5-6 hours. As you move up towards Veteran (which really separates the men from the Marines), the completion time can get closer to 8-9 hours.

Why is a harder difficulty somehow 3 hours longer? More objectives to do, or just more dying and reloading?

Boy, that IGN review sure makes COD4 sound awesome.

It says COD4 sets the bar for MP FPS games.

w00t!

A larger number of smarter enemies means slower, tougher advancement.

However, in most games (other than Ninja Gaiden) that I've played, harder difficulty just means enemies take more bullets and you take more damage from their bullets. Or, like you said, "instead of 10 soldiers rushing at me, now there are 20!" but the AI is still exactly the same.

If a harder difficulty means improved AI and not just "now they take three shots to the head to kill instead of one" then awesome, sign me up.

However, in most games (other than Ninja Gaiden) that I've played, harder difficulty just means enemies take more bullets and you take more damage from their bullets. Or, like you said, "instead of 10 soldiers rushing at me, now there are 20!" but the AI is still exactly the same.
In previous COD games that I've played, and I might be wrong about this, it seems like harder difficulty settings means more smarter enemies. It's often not even more.. they're just smarter. Or there are more. Or both.

I don't really remember the damage model being significantly different. One relatively close-range head shot takes a guy out on the hardest setting.

I can't imagine COD4 would be any different. The enemies in COD2 got *much* smarter and much more accurate on the hardest setting.

If a harder difficulty means improved AI and not just "now they take three shots to the head to kill instead of one" then awesome, sign me up.
I think you'll be happy with it ;)

After hearing that Epic screwed up Gears of War with no dedicated servers, I guess I will be getting CoD 4 sooner than I thought ;)

After hearing that Epic screwed up Gears of War with no dedicated servers, I guess I will be getting CoD 4 sooner than I thought ;)

If you haven't played it on 360 yet though, you seriously need to get it. It's such a kickass game. It's only $40 at Circuit City.

...ummm, there are no dedicated server files for COD4 either. You have to upload the contents of your install folder to your server to host an instance of COD4.

Kinda lazy of IW if you ask me.

If you haven't played it on 360 yet though, you seriously need to get it. It's such a kickass game. It's only $40 at Circuit City.

I played about 1/2 of it on the 360 before my 360 broke... it was awesome, but I only have time to game on the weekends, and the majority of that is MP since I want something I can get in, play a little, and get out.

At this point, I think I'll just save my cash for CoD 4 or UT 3... Gears of War is awesome, yea, but no dedicated servers? It may be $40 now, but I got a feeling it will be even cheaper in a few months.

No dedicated servers for CoD 4 either now? No way :(

No dedicated servers for CoD 4 either now? No way :(

FILES, no dedicated server FILES.

We will be running a dedicated COD4 server on our Hypernia box.

The only thing different is its a pain in the ass for the server operator. It's much nicer to have a server package that can be installed on the server vs upload 5gigs of files off a clients install folder.

I played about 1/2 of it on the 360 before my 360 broke... it was awesome, but I only have time to game on the weekends, and the majority of that is MP since I want something I can get in, play a little, and get out.

At this point, I think I'll just save my cash for CoD 4 or UT 3... Gears of War is awesome, yea, but no dedicated servers? It may be $40 now, but I got a feeling it will be even cheaper in a few months.

Well, as long as you've played it and you know what you're missing, then yeah, go for CoD 4. I'm actually more excited for CoD's multiplayer than I am the single-player. All the perks and achievements look fun. And since the original CoD multiplayer was probably the tightest, most polished multiplayer game this side of CS 1.6, I trust Infinity Wards ability to make a kickass game.

It's sitting in my car right now, so I guess we'll see later on tonight. But then again, so is the import version of The Witcher. And I have Ratchet and Clank at home as well. *sigh* Too many.....

Wow...did IGN really say this is the best looking console game? lololol 10 for graphics...hahahhahaha thats a joke. The entire game has almost zero environment interactivity...and everything looks so flat/dull...oh well, i still may check it out but after i get bored with Crysis, GoW and UT3:cool:

Wow...did IGN really say this is the best looking console game? lololol 10 for graphics...hahahhahaha thats a joke. The entire game has almost zero environment interactivity...and everything looks so flat/dull...oh well, i still may check it out but after i get bored with Crysis, GoW and UT3:cool:

Um, GoW also had no environment interactivity... :confused: And it looks better than GoW on the 360 did too... :confused:

I guarantee that, on your system, COD4 will look better than Crysis ;)

OMG! This game ROCKS! All I gotta say is just buy the game. SP is really interesting despite what reviewers are saying. But the MP is worth the $50. It's fast paced deathmatch and with the Create-a-Class, it's always fun to mix and matchs perks.

For those who are getting it today or later, you have to rank up in order to unlock new classes and Create-a-Class. I'm already up to Lance Corporal II. Perks are sweet!

Also, the first level is INTENSE. Activision and IW did an excellent job on this game.

EDIT - If you want it today, go to EB or Gamestop. Walmart won't have it until tomorrow! Trust me, I've been all over town for it.

Back