Cinebench R23

5600x 523 01-02-2020.png

Here's the server soundly stomping my 8700k. All I've done is enable pbo in the bios, and set the xmp profile on the ram. Seems to boost to 4.65ghz both single and all core loads, using a Corsair A500 cooler I got for $30 it stays under 55c at all loads. I'm going to be doing a 5950x after all, if Amazon ever ships it and if I can ever get a gpu.

I'm on linux, so I don't have cinibench. But here is geekbench, same thing.

View attachment 438223
Just have a second cheap SSD you can install a windows based OS like ggos and only run it for benches, then unplug and put your main drive back on to daily Linux. I agree, they are not the same. Does the Geekbench put a AVX load on the CPU?

Last edited:
Here is my stock 12700k with DDR4 3600 memory air cooled under a Noctua U12S Chromax. Also 'enforce all limits' is enabled in bios so no Asus board shenanigans running outside Intel specs. This should serve as a nice baseline for anyone looking at this CPU and DDR4. Windows 11 Pro is the OS.

12700k ddr4 3600 125w bios .png

Here is my stock 12700k with DDR4 3600 memory air cooled under a Noctua U12S Chromax. Also 'enforce all limits' is enabled in bios so no Asus board shenanigans running outside Intel specs. This should serve as a nice baseline for anyone looking at this CPU and DDR4. Windows 11 Pro is the OS.
I need to get my hands on Alder Lake. I want a 12900k/KS. Look at that single core. Blows my 5950X's best single core by almost 300 pts. Nuts!

cbr2316mbpm1max.31.27.png

16" M1 Max here. Not bad running on battery power. Could not even hear fans 10 minutes in!

Ooop.

I'm a little late to the game on this one.

I've always liked Cinebench for how it can easily provide single and multicore numbers. It used to not be very realistic, since it finished so fast that heat soaking never figured in, but the minimum render time now being the default, that is at least a little bit better.

I've never bothered overclocking my Threadripper as I simply haven't needed it. Clock settings are stock. RAM is quad channel DDR4 3800Mhz.

While the settings are stock, it is on a pretty beastly custom water loop. Maybe that helps? No idea.

I didn't tinker with background tasks (but my windows install is pretty minimal, without the usual suspects starting on boot)

Here are my multi and single core scores chopped together for the purpose of making a nice presentation:

R23_combined.PNG

The Zen 2 arch is starting to show its age compared to some of your scores, but the Threadripper 3960x is still pretty beastly in multicore 3 years later.

My single threaded score is pretty 1337. Nice. :p

I'm still disappointed we didn't get a Zen 3 drop in replacement Threadripper. (A Threadripper 5960x3D version would have been nice)

I'm actually quite bitter about it. AMD promised long term support, and instead TRX40 became a "one and done" platform :(

Last edited:
Ooop.

I've always liked Cinebench for how it can easily provide single and multicore numbers. It used to not be very realistic, since it finished so fast that heat soaking never figured in, but the minimum render time now being the default, that is at least a little bit better.

I've never bothered overclocking my Threadripper as I simply haven't needed it. Clock settings are stock. RAM is quad channel DDR4 3800Mhz.

While the settings are stock, it is on a pretty beastly custom water loop. Maybe that helps? No idea.

I didn't tinker with background tasks (but my windows install is pretty minimal, without the usual suspects starting on boot)

Here are my multi and single core scores chopped together for the purpose of making a nice presentation:

View attachment 508603

The Zen 2 arch is starting to show its age compared to some of your scores, but the Threadripper 3960x is still pretty beastly in multicore 3 years later.

I'm still disappointed we didn't get a Zen 3 drop in replacement Threadripper. (A Threadripper 5960x3D version would have been nice)

I'm actually quite bitter about it. AMD promised long term support, and instead TRX40 became a "one and done" platform :(
Holy shit - 32xxx is phenomenal.

Do you actually use all of its power? That's incredible.

Holy shit - 32xxx is phenomenal.

Do you actually use all of its power? That's incredible.

I do, but rarely.

I bought the Threadripper because my needs include large amounts of PCIe lanes, not because of the 24C/48T, so for most of what I do it is utterly wasted.

Occasionally I will do something like transcode stuff in Handbrake, and for that it is pretty damn awesome.

My 5950x can only get 4.1 all core with just PBO on, haven't done any curve optimizer or anything

View attachment 508884
Wouldn't you get better results with turning all cores up more and PBO off? I thought you should turn PBO off if you cap all cores?
By the way - we have the same mboard - not really a fan of the UI - we should have went up to the ROG model - WAY better for ocing.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you get better results with turning all cores up more and PBO off? I thought you should turn PBO off if you cap all cores?
By the way - we have the same mboard - not really a fan of the UI - we should have went up to the ROG model - WAY better for ocing.

i don't cap all cores i mean all my cores only go ~4.1 with simply and just pbo on, from my understanding it will do what the weakest core can and apply to all this way, or something

edit: yeah the bios is whatever - what I don't like is 'enabled' and 'auto' are each different for settings where it doesn't make sense - makes things worse if something is enabled vs auto in places where you think they'd be the same

this is also my first experience with ryzen and amd at all in over a decade

Last edited:
i don't cap all cores i mean all my cores only go ~4.1 with simply and just pbo on, from my understanding it will do what the weakest core can and apply to all this way, or something

edit: yeah the bios is whatever - what I don't like is 'enabled' and 'auto' are each different for settings where it doesn't make sense - makes things worse if something is enabled vs auto in places where you think they'd be the same

this is also my first experience with ryzen and amd at all in over a decade
I disable PBO. Its trash and a waste of time. Only good thing I got out of PBO was single thread score of 1659. Either Manual All core or CCX OC is your best bet.

Ooop.

View attachment 508603

Did you run Cinebench in Realtime?

That single-thread score is a real eyeopener.... Holy sheet!! Impressive

Here's my 3600X /w PBO and XMP enabled (cooled with a simple CM Hyper 212 Black & MX4 paste)

Multi Core Mean Avg - 4.05 Ghz
Single Core Mean Avg - 4.20 Ghz

Capture.jpg

1663644572907.png

My new i7-12700K / Z690 Aorus Elite AX (DDR5) / 32GB Corsair DDR5 5600 / RTX3070 FE

Out of curiosity, I just looked at some reviews and saw that the 12900k fully loaded uses more power than the 2990WX? Is that right? and if so, what a fucking turd :D

TR2990WX%20Stock.png

power-multithread.png

I'm missing something here, right? Right?

Out of curiosity, I just looked at some reviews and saw that the 12900k fully loaded uses more power than the 2990WX? Is that right? and if so, what a fucking turd :D

View attachment 511792

View attachment 511793

I'm missing something here, right? Right?

Why is power of a concern for people? Do you have a 500W PSU? A 12900k would rape two fold a 2990WX. Hell, a efficient(to you) 5950X also rapes a 2990WX. A turd? Alder Lake is a great CPU.

Anyways, I still don't understand this notion of power consumption being a big deal to some people.

Why is power of a concern for people? Do you have a 500W PSU? A 12900k would rape two fold a 2990WX. Hell, a efficient(to you) 5950X also rapes a 2990WX. A turd? Alder Lake is a great CPU.

Anyways, I still don't understand this notion of power consumption being a big deal to some people.
I have to pay for it, and in the summer I have to use even more energy to cool it. Efficiency matters, a lot, especially here in Europe where we don't just fire up the ole' coal plant when the reactors can't keep up. I think we're seeing intel do what they know what to do, throw more power at the problem and hope the fanbois don't notice.

I have to pay for it, and in the summer I have to use even more energy to cool it. Efficiency matters, a lot, especially here in Europe where we don't just fire up the ole' coal plant when the reactors can't keep up. I think we're seeing intel do what they know what to do, throw more power at the problem and hope the fanbois don't notice.

What's the application for your PC? Is it for work?

Maybe I don't like the PC room being 10-15 degrees hotter than the rest of the house?

Me and my wife + 2 pcs adds up.

I build a lot of sff boxes so performance per watt and performance per dollar matter to me. Also keeping things reasonably cool and quiet is easier and less expensive when the components aren’t so thirsty.

Of course for maximum performance and no limit builds power considerations are less important. I’m just not that type of user anymore so whatever I can power from 200-750w or so is fine.

Back